Your best “beat the heat” products

AustinTink

DIS Veteran
I been reading through some threads this morning looking for items we can purchase to beat the heat during our next trip. Since new heat/sun related items are always hitting the market I thought I’d ask what products you all recommend. I’m looking for specific fans, misters, cooling towels, uv umbrellas, wicking clothing, etc.

Prime day and other summer sales will be upon us soon so I’m hoping to build a list of products to buy for our September trip. Thanks!

The Disney cooling towels they sell on property are great! Work fantastic.
I have this little fan combo and love it - and not just because it stops spinning if I accidentally bump myself with so my hair doesn't get all tangled in it. It's nice because it's also a power bank and a flashlight plus it folds up compactly and is easy to carry.

1688575044625.png

Don't go in September, that solves all the problems!! 😂 J/K...I get it...you do what you gotta do!

For UV umbrella, we have this one:
G4Free UPF 50+ UV Protection Travel Umbrella
We used ours last trip mainly at Epcot, world show case is pretty brutal in mid afternoon!

Cooling towels - You can get them at a lot of different places. My recommendation is get the ones that are long enough to go around your neck with some extra room, so they won't fall off that easily and you can put them on your cheeks while staying on your neck.

Fans - Honestly, we don't use them. It's just hot air blowing back at me, it doesn't do much. I much rather have a cooling towel all day.

Clothing-
Uniqlo - Their Airism collection is pretty good and probably one of the more affordable options.
Columbia - They have a lot of shirts with wicking tech. If you have an outlet store near you, that's the best place to shop.

Hope this helps!

The Disney cooling towels they sell on property are great! Work fantastic.
I have this little fan combo and love it - and not just because it stops spinning if I accidentally bump myself with so my hair doesn't get all tangled in it. It's nice because it's also a power bank and a flashlight plus it folds up compactly and is easy to carry.

View attachment 775104
I have long hair and was worried about the fan getting tangled. This fan looks great!

Don't go in September, that solves all the problems!! 😂 J/K...I get it...you do what you gotta do!

For UV umbrella, we have this one:
G4Free UPF 50+ UV Protection Travel Umbrella
We used ours last trip mainly at Epcot, world show case is pretty brutal in mid afternoon!

Cooling towels - You can get them at a lot of different places. My recommendation is get the ones that are long enough to go around your neck with some extra room, so they won't fall off that easily and you can put them on your cheeks while staying on your neck.

Fans - Honestly, we don't use them. It's just hot air blowing back at me, it doesn't do much. I much rather have a cooling towel all day.

Clothing-
Uniqlo - Their Airism collection is pretty good and probably one of the more affordable options.
Columbia - They have a lot of shirts with wicking tech. If you have an outlet store near you, that's the best place to shop.

Hope this helps!
Just what I was looking for, thanks!

Is the umbrella heavy or cumbersome? My husband is the pack mule so I may have to talk him into carrying extra sun supplies.

We get by pretty well with just portable umbrellas and light colored clothing. However, a cooling towel around the neck would be nice, too.

Is the umbrella heavy or cumbersome? My husband is the pack mule so I may have to talk him into carrying extra sun supplies.
As my families pack mule I recommend either reusable ice packs or put water bottles in the freezer portion of your hotel fridge (if you have one)...place them in the back of your park bag and then it doesn't feel so bad. Late in the day you remove the melted waters and you have a cold beverage while reducing the overall weight being carried. I find 3 to be the magic number for maximum cooling.

Always use cooling towels - we have a collection of multiple brands and find few differences in them - they all tend to work, just remember to wet them frequently and snap them out to keep them cool. They are pretty nice for guys to tie on their head like a bandana- especially under a hat.

Otherwise, looking to hear other peoples recommendations.

We’re almost done with an 18 day trip. Not gonna lie… it is HOT! Here’s what worked for us.

Light colored clothing.

Silver UV portable umbrella.

Frogg Togg cooling towels.

Bladeless personal neck fan.

Half of our family really liked hats with a good brim to provide a little shade on the face.

Water rides are a temporary relief… especially ones like Kali River Rapids where you can get really wet. (Wear shoes that will easily dry out.)

Lots of water, ideally ice water. We carried water bottles and refilled them with ice and/or ice water at locations that provided them. We also spent a lot more than we normally would on iced drinks and frozen desserts.

Make sure your outfits don’t leave the opportunity for rub rash. I like to wear sundresses but bought under shorts (kind of like biking shorts) to wear underneath. If you think there will be other areas of issue look into megababe thigh rescue or body glide or similar products.

I highly recommend going to the parks early, leaving after lunch, taking a rest (nap at hotel, etc) and heading out again in the evening. If you’re staying at a Disney hotel utilize ETPE and EEH if you can.

If you’re going to be in the parks the hottest part of the day, make ADR’s for places that have indoor dining with A/C and save shows/movies with A/C as an opportunity to take a break. I cannot emphasize how much A/C breaks can help extend your energy for a longer day in the park.

And of course… sunscreen.

We’re heading back this week after 6 years of going in the fall, winter, or spring. We purchased long cooling towels, misting water bottles (the O2 cool ones), and O2 misting fans for the kids. I’m thinking we will probably carry one backpack with a few cooling towels, 2 water bottles in it, and 2 misting fans.

We’re almost done with an 18 day trip. Not gonna lie… it is HOT! Here’s what worked for us.

Light colored clothing.

Silver UV portable umbrella.

Frogg Togg cooling towels.

Bladeless personal neck fan.

Half of our family really liked hats with a good brim to provide a little shade on the face.

Water rides are a temporary relief… especially ones like Kali River Rapids where you can get really wet. (Wear shoes that will easily dry out.)

Lots of water, ideally ice water. We carried water bottles and refilled them with ice and/or ice water at locations that provided them. We also spent a lot more than we normally would on iced drinks and frozen desserts.

Make sure your outfits don’t leave the opportunity for rub rash. I like to wear sundresses but bought under shorts (kind of like biking shorts) to wear underneath. If you think there will be other areas of issue look into megababe thigh rescue or body glide or similar products.

I highly recommend going to the parks early, leaving after lunch, taking a rest (nap at hotel, etc) and heading out again in the evening. If you’re staying at a Disney hotel utilize ETPE and EEH if you can.

If you’re going to be in the parks the hottest part of the day, make ADR’s for places that have indoor dining with A/C and save shows/movies with A/C as an opportunity to take a break. I cannot emphasize how much A/C breaks can help extend your energy for a longer day in the park.

And of course… sunscreen.
18 days!! Wow, I salute you. Our longest WDW trip was 14 days staying at the Swan. Now I see I have a new record to work toward. :)

Thanks for the hot weather tips!

Bladeless Neck Fan Portable Personal Fan 5000mAh Rechargeable Battery Operated Wearable Fan for Women Men Outdoor Sport Travel Patio Garden Work Home Kitchen(Black) https://a.co/d/16CpOrJ
I’ve never worn one before. I have a very temperamental neck with some disc degeneration. Do you find the neck fans to be heavy or do you just not notice them at all when wearing?

Just what I was looking for, thanks!

No the umbrella isn't heavy at all! We actually bought a different one before this, and it was a little longer and more bulky, that's why we switched to this one.

I’ve never worn one before. I have a very temperamental neck with some disc degeneration. Do you find the neck fans to be heavy or do you just not notice them at all when wearing?
I think it's heavy, but DH loves it. I would skip it if you have neck issues and just use cooling towels or some of the other items mentioned.

As my families pack mule I recommend either reusable ice packs or put water bottles in the freezer portion of your hotel fridge (if you have one)...place them in the back of your park bag and then it doesn't feel so bad. Late in the day you remove the melted waters and you have a cold beverage while reducing the overall weight being carried. I find 3 to be the magic number for maximum cooling.
We do the same! So we have ice cold water! :thumbsup2

Besides all these products to help you cool down, the most important thing is actually this - Take as many breaks as you need and stay hydrated! Don't push it, get in the shade and sit down for even 10 mins when you feel like it. Little breaks go a long way!

Also, if you and your family like hydration mix beverages, this is what we always pack for travel:
Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier
Costco is definitely cheaper, but if you don't like their flavors, Amazon has a lot of options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter