Your Child's Favorite Extra Special Something

JustAKid

DIS Veteran
I am wondering if people might share their child's favorite extra special thing they got to do. I'm thinking along the lines of a "spendy, but worth it for the magic" activity. Pirate's League, the Luau, BBB, the AK "behind the scenes" Safari trek, etc.

I would like to choose one activity to do with the children, but really can't decide which. I thought if I collected some data on what other kids actually liked, and why, it would make the whole thing easier. This is our first trip so my kids aren't really informed about what the opportunities are, and I think all the info is honestly, overwhelming them. Haha! I think this one is a mommy-knows-best kind of thing...(except that I, obviously, don't. Help me keep my super hero status!!! :upsidedow)

I don't know if I should spit it up and cater to each individual child's interest (time consuming) or throw 'em all in the same pot. I have 3 girls ages when traveling will be 10, 8, and 6. Gender roles play no factor as my children are all pretty eclectic.

TIA folks! :goodvibes

If your kids were older i would say the night vision safari. Maybe next trip.
My girls LoVE the BBB. Even the 'I'm too co for everything' 12 yo. We skipped it in Jan and I was the worst momma ever.
Other than that most of the things my kids love about WDW is the little stuff. Pins, autographs, photos, the resort pool (I always scratch my head at this)
Case in point---in 2004 I begged and pleaded w/ DH to go to wdW. He insisted he hated it etc. we only had 1 DD then and thought she would be the only. He finally relented and said 'I will go to WDW ONCE, make it worth it'. I did :) 14 days, tea party w Alice, character meals everyday, AKL, etc. when we got back my dd told her aunt that the best part of the trip was eating Mickey waffles.

Eta--DH is a convert---but a spoiled one.

My kids love the Luau, the Hoop de du show and Wishes Dessert Party.

We have done the Luau every year they never tire of it, and Dessert Party since it started.

They also had a great time on the Pirate Cruise that started at the Yacht club and they boated over to find treasure at Epcot Worldshowcase.

THis year they want to do the Pirate League before the Halloween Party. (Hopefully I get a ressie for this.

We didn't do a whole lot of scheduled spendy extras like you're referring to last time we went (our kids' first time) but that's not to say we didn't bring back tons of special memories - favorite rides, shows, fireworks, meals, etc. We did do the Dessert Party and it was fun but we're not doing it again this time so that probably says something :)

This time we're most looking forward to Hoop de doo and the Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage (read lots of great reviews on each and they seem to fit the spendy but worth it criteria). I think no matter what you do it will be full of magic :)

Pictures and autographs with characters have been the most popular but now that they are older, not so much. The Behind the seeds tour at Epcot was great, and good for all ages. You release ladybugs and eat cucumbers grown there. It isn't too long but fairly inexpensive compared to the other tours. We loved it. You can get discounts for AAA, Disney visa, etc.

Thanks one and all for your input. I'm making my notes, and doing my research. This is the beauty, and the curse, of The Dis!

My kids love the Luau, the Hoop de du show and Wishes Dessert Party.

We have done the Luau every year they never tire of it, and Dessert Party since it started.

They also had a great time on the Pirate Cruise that started at the Yacht club and they boated over to find treasure at Epcot Worldshowcase.

THis year they want to do the Pirate League before the Halloween Party. (Hopefully I get a ressie for this.

I, personally, am leaning very much towards the Luau. The reason is due to the fact that it is more family oriented, and less about the kids while mom and dad just kinda tag along. There will be so much time focused on JUST them, that I feel like this will be a fun thing for all of us to do together, as one. Oh, yes, and I want to stay at the Poly so bad I can taste it so I want to see it very badly, in person, to drool.

We didn't do a whole lot of scheduled spendy extras like you're referring to last time we went (our kids' first time) but that's not to say we didn't bring back tons of special memories - favorite rides, shows, fireworks, meals, etc. We did do the Dessert Party and it was fun but we're not doing it again this time so that probably says something :)

This time we're most looking forward to Hoop de doo and the Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage (read lots of great reviews on each and they seem to fit the spendy but worth it criteria). I think no matter what you do it will be full of magic :)

I definately agree that no matter what we do, even if it's nothing at all, we'll have a blast! I was leaning towards Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage as my close second, but I think I need to research some more. I'm hoping my 10 year old will get into it and not be very "this is for babies" about it....

We haven't done any of these yet, but for our April trip DD is doing BBB for the first time and DS7 is going to do the kids Pirate Cruise that leaves from the Beach Club. Its a scavenger hunt where the kids go off with the CMs for about 2 hours on an adventure without the parents. I've heard really good things about it and its not too expensive (about $35). We're also going to do the Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage as a special something for the whole family.

Another idea for your daughters that comes to mind is Pick a Pearl in Japan in Epcot. Each girl could choose her own pearl (about $20 each). They choose an oyster from the tank and the girls in the shop do a cute ceremony with a drum and open it and present it to you. They have lots of settings to choose from if they want to have it set as a necklace (for an extra cost of course). The whole process doesn't take long, but its fun and a nice souvenier of the trip.

I agree the pick a pearl in Japan in Epcot would be a great activity for all the ages of your girls. DD(7) loves it. They really do make it a little production.

DD also loves the BBB (age 6 on our last trip), but I think your 10 year old will likely think she is too old for it, and your 8 year old might as well. Most of the girls you see in there are in the 3-7 age range. I think DD was the oldest one in there when she did it a couple of months ago.

If you do pick a tour, be careful because several of them do have age limits (I want to say the age is 8 for several of them), and your littlest may not be old enough to go. Also, they might rather just spend time in the parks doing the rides, shows, and other activities, than be "stuck" on a group tour, especially since it is their first trip.

The pony rides at Fort Wilderness.

If you're kids are 54", they could ride the horses instead.

We go all the freakin' way to Disney, and they want to ride ponies....:lmao:

It is pretty cute though, and very well done. Typical Disney themeing and what not.

I'd recommend the Wonderland Tea Party at GF. My girls did it two years ago, when they were 8 and 6, and LOVED it! It was just the two of them, and two other kids, plus Alice and the Mad Hatter. They did some crafts (tissue paper flowers and photo frames with stickers), decorated cupcakes, got autographs and photos, and played some games. The also got real flower bouquets to take with them.

Your oldest might be on the older end for this one. My DD just turned 10, and I don't think she'd want to do it again, but she still talks about how fun it was. It's probably the kind of thing she'd be "too old" to do with her friends, but she'd still enjoy doing with her sisters at WDW.

There was a Photopass photographer there the whole time. We had pre-purchased the CD, so they just loaded about 40 pics onto our card. It was so great to get a peek at what they did!

I'd recommend the Wonderland Tea Party at GF. My girls did it two years ago, when they were 8 and 6, and LOVED it! It was just the two of them, and two other kids, plus Alice and the Mad Hatter. They did some crafts (tissue paper flowers and photo frames with stickers), decorated cupcakes, got autographs and photos, and played some games. The also got real flower bouquets to take with them.

Your oldest might be on the older end for this one. My DD just turned 10, and I don't think she'd want to do it again, but she still talks about how fun it was. It's probably the kind of thing she'd be "too old" to do with her friends, but she'd still enjoy doing with her sisters at WDW.

There was a Photopass photographer there the whole time. We had pre-purchased the CD, so they just loaded about 40 pics onto our card. It was so great to get a peek at what they did!

I second this
My grand-daughter had a great time
Characters were wonderful
And it gave me (Nana) a little shopping time.

from allears

Wonderland Tea Party - A tea party (lasting one hour) for children, hosted by characters from Alice in Wonderland. Children will make and eat cupcakes, enjoy a story, and have tea (juice) with the characters, and make flower bouquets. Children who are potty trained and ages 4-10 may attend.

Monday through Friday from 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Available to all guests, Cost is $40.00 ($42.60 including tax).
Reservations 90 days in advance at 407-WDW-DINE.

A few pictures

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Mad Hatter seemed to be pouring "Tea" on top of his cupcake.

Mad Hatter and Alice signing a special book I made for the occasion

I think we will try this special activity next trip

Pirate Adventure -- Little landlubbers (ages 4 to 12) can go on a two-hour hunt for treasure and adventure on the high seas of Disney's Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake located at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort. Snack and beverage included. Requires advanced reservations. Cost is $36.21 tax included per child.

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday 9:30 - 11:30 a.m.
Available to all guests. Reservations 180 days in advance at 407-WDW-DINE or WDW-PLAY.
Hugs
Mel

We loved the Pirates League. DD10 is not a Princess girl anymore..BBB and Tea Partys aren't her thing...but she loved getting the Mermaid package. Very cool.
Pick a Pearl is fantastic.
My kids really enjoyed building a Dino at Trex.

This trip we are doing the Behind the Seeds Tour and DD10 wants to do the surf lesson at Typhoon Lagoon. :goodvibes

Our dd is 11 and she has made Chef Mickey's a family tradition. Every time we go we ask her what is something she absolutely has to do and she tells us each time Chef Mickey's. We thought she would out grow this but she hasn't. She tells us this is our family tradition we have to do it. Another thing we have done a couple of times and she loves it is HDDR. We go back in April and it will be her 13th trip and her 14th will be in August and Disney still hasn't gotten old.

My DD loves BBB. I would do that with three young girls. I bet they would all love it.

I think Family Magic Tour would be great! We are waiting until DS2 is a bit older but from what I have heard it is awesome.
Part of my love for it may be remembering Bob's review of it on the Podcast and picturing him crawling across the floor at Cosmic Ray's :)

That's what I was trying to remember. Wonderland Tea Party!! I second this. My oldest did it and loved it. Thinking about taking dd #2 when we go in oct.

Our big ticket thing that we do is The Hoop Dee Doo Revue. It is a favorite of our family and is requested each trip!

HDDR sounds like something we would enjoy! I wanted to make this trip a surprise, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to tell them, get their input, and let them help decide what we're going to be doing. Momma might not know best on this one...

All of these are such great options, and y'all sell them so well. :thumbsup2

Family magic tour!

My DD just loved this.. They get everyone into the act!

HDDR sounds like something we would enjoy! I wanted to make this trip a surprise, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to tell them, get their input, and let them help decide what we're going to be doing. Momma might not know best on this one...

All of these are such great options, and y'all sell them so well. :thumbsup2

I love watching other people's "surprise we're going to Disney today" videos on YouTube but personally I can't imagine not planning with my kids! They love it so much - seriously we talk about Disney every single day and we still have 92 days to go! haha Anyway, just my vote for including them in the decisions! You could do something special to tell them, though? Best of both worlds :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter