Your Experiences remodeling a bathroom

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
We have two bathrooms that are dated and kinda awful. I want the walls painted, the cabinets painted, new hardware, new towel and toilet paper hangers, shelves, a new countertop -sinks - faucets and a new floor.

I'm wondering how much of this I can do myself. Painting, yep, for sure, cabinet hardware, yep, shelves, sure.

What about the floor. How difficult is luxury vinyl flooring that you stick and put in place?

How about painting the cabinet?

I would love to hear your tales of what you did and what advice you would give! Thank you!

Floating LVP can be installed over almost any surface.

Painting a cabinet is time consuming but easy. Prep is important. You want to make sure the surface is clean and cleaning will take almost as much time as painting.

Everything else you listed is very easily done by the homeowner.

Last edited:
We have two bathrooms that are dated and kinda awful. I want the walls painted, the cabinets painted, new hardware, new towel and toilet paper hangers, shelves, a new countertop -sinks - faucets and a new floor.

I'm wondering how much of this I can do myself. Painting, yep, for sure, cabinet hardware, yep, shelves, sure.

What about the floor. How difficult is luxury vinyl flooring that you stick and put in place?

How about painting the cabinet?

I would love to hear your tales of what you did and what advice you would give! Thank you!

We just redid our kids’ bathroom-painted, new vanity and sink, installed Luxury vinyl tile and did everything ourselves. The LV flooring was snap together though not stick on. It was very easy to install ourselves and is waterproof so perfect for the bathroom. Some of them are just water resistant so watch for that.

Oooh, good to know! What did you use to cut a piece? I'm curious to know how you center everything when you hear so often that walls aren't straight etc.

I would seriously consider just replacing the cabinets if at all possible. As stated above prep is hard and you still may have issues with chipping and adhesion. Peel and stick tile is easy to put down and can be cut with a utility knife, but is not the most durable and can look cheap. As stated above click lock flooring is much better.

I would LOVE to just replace that ol' cabinet but when I measured, (it's stuck between two walls tight) it measured just 1/4" under 60". I'm afraid if I buy a 60" cabinet at Lowe's or HD and get it home, it won't fit. Ugh.

I would LOVE to just replace that ol' cabinet but when I measured, (it's stuck between two walls tight) it measured just 1/4" under 60". I'm afraid if I buy a 60" cabinet at Lowe's or HD and get it home, it won't fit. Ugh.
You can get a smaller vanity, it doesn’t have to touch the walls. The one in my downstairs bathroom is free standing with legs. I have done three bathrooms and opted to replace the vanity vs refinishing it all three times. As the PP mentioned it’s a LOT of work to prep and paint cabinets correctly. I would weigh the cost of a vanity/top/sink combo against doing it all separately. I got my last one on clearance for a steal.

We hired a Kitchen and Bath firm to do ours. I don't have the skills or time to do it. Plus, they had a designer who had a million great ideas.......like painting the ceiling a few shades lighter than the walls, the effect is amazing. And we upgraded our plumbing, something I wouldn't ever attempt.

DH is a remodeling contractor, and even he watches YouTube for ideas and tips. There are so many DIY type videos there! And even Ikea has nice cabinets in all sizes, you should be able to find one.

Our last remodel was the basement apt. in our future home, where DD now lives. It was the worst bathroom, old fixtures, tiny closet shower, all on one side. It involved breaking up concrete, new plumbing, lots of tiling, new vanity and toilet. She now has a big shower next to the window that spans the width of the room. It's nicer than mine!

For that kind of stuff, plumbing, tiling, you need a contractor. For cosmetics like you're doing, you just need some free time and You Tube.

This is what my DH and I did over the last week. The former owner liked to paint. A LOT. The paint was so thick that I (w/the help of my kids) peeled it off the walls rather than sand. I would say if you count the price of the machine DH rented to remove the thinset for the old tile we spent under $1,000 to do it. I kept the fixtures but added the shelves that replaced the medicine cabinet. Older DD picked that shower curtain and rug when we moved in. I just rolled with it and the fixtures. The bottles are vintage and most of the beads etc. hanging on them were my grandmother's. Everything else is Home Depot, Target and Kohl's. I'd like to add a chandelier but didn't want to push DH too much.
View attachment 259498
View attachment 259507
View attachment 259506
View attachment 259505
View attachment 259504
View attachment 259503
View attachment 259502
View attachment 259501
View attachment 259500
Very nice! So did you paint your cabinet yourself? What kind of paint? I really like how you fancied up the hardware. I'm trying to decide between painting my 59.5" vanity or trying to find one that isn't 60". They are expensive as all get out and the size is an issue. I can paint, lots of experience and not intimidated but want it to look more like enamel than calk paint, which so many do use. I have chalk painted the base of a dining table and it worked great!

Can anyone advise about tubs? If we get the pre fab ripped out what should we be replacing it with? Porceline covered iron? Acryllic? I just don't know...

We've been slowly renovating the kids Jack and Jill bathroom as well as the master bathroom. So far in the JJ we've ripped out the tile that surrounded the toilet and installed (beadboard) wainscoting. We also replaced the old cracked tile flooring with nice peel and stick vinyl flooring, and added new baseboard trim. The side of the bathroom that was wainscotted also received a new coat of paint. We still need to replace the aging tile around the tub. We have yet to touch the vanity sides of the JJ but do plan to given the walls a fresh coat of paint and possibly the cabinets as well. They too are about the same size as yours and expensive to replace. Considering trimming out the huge mirror to give it an updated look.

The master was a project that we started this summer. The tub/shower tile was in dire need of repair so we pulled out all of the old tile and drywall. Then put up Dumawall tile which is a glue on, snap/lock in place. It says you don't need to **** the boards but I did anyways. We also updated the hardware and replaced some of the old plumbing. That was a weekend project. We still need to decide if we are going to rip out the tile around the other walls and then the standing shower as that is awful and leaks. The flooring will be vinyl plank. The vanity is huge and I think was a custom piece (~70"+). Apparently the developer for the subdivision lived in the house so things are not always the standard stock pieces. And the counter top is low. So it would involve ripping out the whole thing and most likely putting in a freestanding cabinet on one end or the middle. Not messing with that right now.

Honestly any project that you take on make sure that you know how to use the equipment. How to properly measure before you cut, and to have the time to complete. DH is good at starting projects, but not always finishing promptly (thank you ADHD). It also helps to know your strengths. I'm good at cutting/taping/mudding/sanding drywall and gluing or grouting tiles into place. DH is usually the cutter on more intricate things as well as the thinker when things are more challenging such as being not square or when a joint cut is needed.

Thank you! I really really appreciate you taking the time to go over that. You make a lot of good points.

This past weekend, we had a brunch at a new 'supper club' where you sit at tables with strangers. It's a fun way to get to know folks. I asked who had renovated a bathroom and a gal raised her hand and told the tale of taking her bathroom TO THE STUDS and doing it all herself! With no prior experience! Good for her!!! That was so wonderful to hear!

I've been watching tons of youtube vidoes. We are very handy, have the tools and are careful. I'm trying to assess where the money should go. I'm thinking the tub tear out and install with surround tiling done by another. I've added up the costs and so far I'm at $5K. That's with us doing the floors and walls and lights. Talking to my plumber next week.

I'm excited but also realizing it always takes longer, costs more and is way more aggrevating than I can plan for.

I think I also need to careful figure out what needs to happen in what order. I would LOVE a new cabinet/vanity but the ones I am finding at 59" are $1300 and up. That's a lot of moola when I can just paint the cabinets. They are old builder's grade oak. Yuck. But some great hardware will be nice too.

I'm REALLY having a fit trying to zero in on colors. Walls, floor, cabinet color. Up till 1am bleary eyed looking at pinterest. Do you know of any software where I can 'try on' colors?

I think I also need to careful figure out what needs to happen in what order. I would LOVE a new cabinet/vanity but the ones I am finding at 59" are $1300 and up. That's a lot of moola when I can just paint the cabinets. They are old builder's grade oak. Yuck. But some great hardware will be nice too.

I'm REALLY having a fit trying to zero in on colors. Walls, floor, cabinet color. Up till 1am bleary eyed looking at pinterest. Do you know of any software where I can 'try on' colors?

Our cabinets are all original to the house and real wood, yet surprisingly not the nicest for it to have been the builders home :confused3 which we foudn to be surprising. But somewhere along the way someone painted all of the cabinets in the house (kitchen and baths) the same dark cocoa color, without sanding them down and it was sloppy. We repainted the kitchen cabinets this past winter a grey color and they look much better. Not the best job but hey. Also new hardware was a nice addition. We might do the bathroom cabinets in the same color as well. It would really brighten the room.

I know for house color you can go to websites like Sherwin Williams and Behr and "try on" colors. You upload a picture of the house and see what different color combinations might look like.
https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer#/active/defaulthttps://www.behr.com/consumer/colors/paint/visualizer/rooms

Very nice! So did you paint your cabinet yourself? What kind of paint? I really like how you fancied up the hardware. I'm trying to decide between painting my 59.5" vanity or trying to find one that isn't 60". They are expensive as all get out and the size is an issue. I can paint, lots of experience and not intimidated but want it to look more like enamel than calk paint, which so many do use. I have chalk painted the base of a dining table and it worked great!

Can anyone advise about tubs? If we get the pre fab ripped out what should we be replacing it with? Porceline covered iron? Acryllic? I just don't know...
No, I bought it like that.

Yep we have an old vanity that is an odd size. It’s also between 2 walls. We repainted but it was originally painted so it’s held up fine. It has a laminate top which has held up well. I couldn’t find a solid top without getting a special order. Too expensive. We have done everything except flooring. You might call a flooring place, and don’t rule out rolled vinyl. If it’s a small space it shouldn’t be expensive.

Remodeling a bathroom can be daunting, but finding the right contractor can make all the difference.
Finding a contractor is not so easy let alone the right one and then there is the issue of when can they start.

The contractor is probably the biggest expense - so don't skimp on other things - for example saving 50 or 75 on a shower head\faucet\detveter etc.. to then have to pay to replace it a few years later does not make sense. Of course I was in a situation where I could buy the materials and they did the install - not sure that is all that common. If they buy the materials I suspect there might be a markup.

Buying the tiles at Lowes or HD is also a good option - yeah the selection is not as good - and they are not always a consistent size - but are about 1/3 what a tile store will charge. For accent trim I did go to the tile store and that cost about the same as the tile for the rest of the bathroom.
For the Vinal - probably want to go to a flooring store and get the better quality stuff

The peel and stick stuff has come a long way and actually can look quite good - one big issue is what are you going over? Make sure its smooth and level as possible - you may need to put some sort of coating down.
I prefer tile but its more work and time - and cutting is an art IMO - so I did the vinal in my basement bathroom am I am pretty happy with it.
Also my basement pub floor is vinyl and looks great as well.
I questioned the vinyl originally but a friend in flooring pointed it out to me - just get the good stuff and get extra glue don't count just on the peel and stick.

Mainly watch you tube videos- several before you start - lots of good info/tips there.

i know this is a dated thread but for anyone currently considering it-

keep in mind that if you are going with frameless glass shower doors you have to wait to get the accurate measurements until the shower wall tile is in and complete-after which you can be looking at another 6 weeks minimum for it to arrive, and then hope the installers are available within a reasonable time frame.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter