Your input please!

RickinNYC

DIS Veteran
I'm just curious to get everyone's opinion. A couple of years ago, I had experienced a tremendous amount of pain in my foot and was diagnosed with gout. It was bearable simply because the outbreaks were very infrequent, thus didn't disrupt my life too much.
Now, as I approach 37 (Lord help us to pray), I've been getting more and more and more attacks to the point that I just don't know whether a month will go by that I don't have to use crutches. The pain is unbelievable!
I'm on medication so things should be getting better.
My question is would you consider this condition a disability?
I don't at all but my partner does. I'm just trying to settle a domestic debate.

I've been getting more and more and more attacks to the point that I just don't know whether a month will go by that I don't have to use crutches. The pain is unbelievable!

Are you disabled??
Yes!! You are in pain. Yes!! "I just don't know whether I will have to use crutches." Yes!! "my partner does" Partners can see and feel that your Quality of Life is compromised. It is hard for you to see how this affects everyone else.

Get a EVC/scooter it will help 100%

Crutches are actually perfect right now but if things progress any worse, I can see myself in a chair in about 10-15 years.

Slightly off topic, this gout thing has my doctor totally befuddled. I'm in pretty good shape, don't eat red meat, have an excellent diet, really only drink socially, and am 36 (37 soon -- holding my head in grief). Can't figure out why I have it and with such an intensity.

Oh well, gotta be genes.

It is totally normal for you to think crutch are fine, but they are work and you still have to cope with being in pain. I'm not suggesting a wheelchair this is what I was refering to

BEBOP_default_botright.jpg

You can try one at Walmarts or the grocery store. These kind at the stores are slower and bigger than the one in the picture.

It is just a mind set. Lots of people here had to come to terms with the fact that a scooter made thing easier for there familys AND really gave them More freedom!!

I agree with tink. A disability is something that affects the ability to function in one or more "life activity". Being in pain when you walk (even if it's not all the time) certainly sounds like that to me. You might think of yourself more as "periodically disabled" since between attack, you don't have any problems.

PS. Gout used to be thought to be a disease of "rich living" - eating rich foods, lots of red meat, wine, etc. . That was probably because only the rich people saw doctors - the rest just suffered. Now, they don't quite know what causes it, but it's not rich living.

I'm on medication so things should be getting better.
My question is would you consider this condition a disability?
I don't at all but my partner does. I'm just trying to settle a domestic debate.

An individual with a disability is defined by the ADA as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment.

Note..The type of impairment, regardless of how vexing its symptoms are is irrelevant to the ADA definition. The deciding factor of disability rests on how limiting the impairment is on a major life activity.

The ADA does not provide a list of every major life activity. The examples in the ADA include activities such as walking, seeing, hearing, learning, and thinking. Of course there are several additional major life activities. While the ADA includes working as a major life activity the U.S. Supreme Court has drastically narrowed the scope of working as a major life activity. In a different case the U.S. Supreme Court has added reproduction
to the list of major life activities though no one is sure of what that really means.

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled in Sutton vs. UAL and other related cases that an impairment that is improved or corrected (mitigated) by medication or appliances, like a cane or a brace, so as to substantially reduce the impact of the impairment on major life activities, the individual is not disabled under the ADA. This decision directly contradicts the ADA regulatory law which states that impairments should be evaluated outside of the context of medications or appliances.

So, in order for you to be a person with a disability you must be very limited in a major life activity.
Hope this helps...

Disability can flucuate. You may have periods of disability followed by periods of wellness. Permanent disability ususally is defined by SS as a period of one year. This is the standard used to qualify for SS benefits I believe.
Someone who has a broken leg and is in a cast, unable to walk, needs assistive devices is disabled until the leg heals and the pt is ABLE to resume unassisted mobility. This person may or may not require support of the ADA during the disable period.
One example is temporary Parking placards are given to folks who undergo Knee and or hip replacements for the expected period of post op recovery.

Awww, shucks.
I really was hoping that the information I posted would be taken as written. It is fact and should be foremost in the minds of those who are trying to evaluate their physical conditions to determine whether they have a leg to stand on (legally or socially) when they wish to take advantage of "perks" accorded to those with a legally disabling condition.
You state that:

Disability can flucuate. You may have periods of disability followed by periods of wellness. Permanent disability ususally is defined by SS as a period of one year. This is the standard used to qualify for SS benefits I believe.
Someone who has a broken leg and is in a cast, unable to walk, needs assistive devices is disabled until the leg heals and the pt is ABLE to resume unassisted mobility. This person may or may not require support of the ADA during the disable period.

What you say may be true but it is legally irrelevant. The Social Security Administration devised THEIR OWN set of criteria for disabilities so that they could administer the dispersal of money. Their standards and policies have absolutely no standing in law and it is dangerous to confuse the standards set by the ADA, a Congressional Act, and the office policies of the Social Security Administration.
A case in point, for instance, is the use of Service Dogs. Only someone who is legally disabled, as defined by the ADA, may, without committing fraud, be accompanied by a dog (a dog individually trained to assist in specific ways to mitigate the disability) into places where dogs are normally prohibited from entering. A person that cannot meet the ADA criteria who tries to pass their companion animal, or pet, off as a Service Dog can be prosecuted for fraud... a very expensive error on their part.
A person who uses a wheelchair temporarily, or infrequently has no legal standing under the ADA, to enforce accessibility issues they may be faced with while using that wheelchair... Most of the wheelchair and ECV use in the park is not by those who are legally disabled, as they might presume, but by those who have vexing physical impairments that do not, in fact, meet the legal (ADA) definition of disability.
Now, after all that distressing information, I will remind all those following this thread that WDW is one of the few places on earth whose mission it is to make people feel better in ways that can be achieved through no other way but fantasy, imagination, and fun.
If a park visitor cannot get past physical pain or mental impairments enough to allow Disney to succeed in this mission without the use the strategies the administrators of Disneyworld itself has provided to accomplish that very thing, then no one has the right to deny them access to all the services Disney can offer.
Remember, too, the purpose of this thread was to settle a family dispute, not to bum everyone out. Let's please end it here so we can have some fun.

:bounce: :bounce: I love these things...very cute

Just a quick clarification folks. I in absolutely no way, intend or desire to reap the "perks" of the disabled as somebody stated. I would never dream of it.

I was truly trying to settle a dispute between my partner and myself. Due to a previous job I once had, I am fairly familiar with the ADA quidelines and definitions of a disability, thus my own stance. He, however, is simply basing his opinion on the pain, discomfort and inability to walk without assistance during my gout attacks.

But thanks for the clarification everyone. I should have put a dinner on it or something.

As for the suggestions about ECV's, thank you!

Just a couple of things about gout....

My spouse age 33 also has frequent impairing attacks of gout. We have started to see decrease when he avoids shellfish, high sodium foods(such as processed lunch meats) and, of course, red meats.

After conferring with a podiatrist he has been placed on Allupurnol (sp?) one pill nightly. This has decreased the frequency of the attacks.

Also after much reading and discussion with an herbalist, he is drinking 1 glass of BLACK CHERRY juice daily. This is also aiding in significantly reducing the duration of an attack, if he drinks several glasses daily for the duration of the attack.

Good luck to you with your gout battle, it is not fun. :(

Originally posted by CrazedDisFan
Just a couple of things about gout....

My spouse age 33 also has frequent impairing attacks of gout. We have started to see decrease when he avoids shellfish, high sodium foods(such as processed lunch meats) and, of course, red meats.

After conferring with a podiatrist he has been placed on Allupurnol (sp?) one pill nightly. This has decreased the frequency of the attacks.

Also after much reading and discussion with an herbalist, he is drinking 1 glass of BLACK CHERRY juice daily. This is also aiding in significantly reducing the duration of an attack, if he drinks several glasses daily for the duration of the attack.

Good luck to you with your gout battle, it is not fun. :(

Thanks for the tips but I'm on the same page! I'm on colchicin (sp?) daily and it seems to be doing the trick. No attackes since March! That's the longest I've gone pain free for more than a year now! Woo hoo! Hopefully it's doing the trick. I'll just assume it is for now.

As for black cherry juice, I heard that too and tried it. And I have to tell you, it is the single most disgusting this I've ever had to drink in my entire life! My partner loves to watch me when I drink it. Rather than nursing it and prolonging the agony, I chug the entire glass. The hair on the back of my neck sticks up and I gag until my eyes water! And he just chuckles. Some guy, eh? ;)

The crazy thing is now that I absolutely refuse to drink it, much like a very stubborn six year old, arms crossed, lips pressed tightly together, faced scrunched up in a pout, he happily sips a glass while watching television. He loves the stuff.

As for watching the foods that I eat, I actually spoke to a nutritionist friend/co-worker and he made a list of the foods that I should avoid. I dutifully printed it as a pocket sized card and carry it around all the time. I avoid that food like the plague!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter