Your most important tip for a first time cruise

I never knew I packed such a wallop. Pity that I had to find out, literally, first-hand.

My husband tells me I am researching this vacation to death! Lol

There is so much to learn about cruising for the first time as well as ports adventures.
So if there was one must know thing about the Disney dream cruise, what would you tell someone?

Such as someone mentioned, have your swim suits in your carry on when boarding..
And some one else said cookies and milk via room service at bedtime was something their kids looked forward to every night..

We travel the Disney Dream with our three kids in December ages 17, 13 and 11
So far we would like to parasail at castaway cay and do the blue lagoon dolphin swim at Nassau.

Obviously having fun and family time is our #1 rule!
W
My husband tells me I am researching this vacation to death! Lol

There is so much to learn about cruising for the first time as well as ports adventures.
So if there was one must know thing about the Disney dream cruise, what would you tell someone?

Such as someone mentioned, have your swim suits in your carry on when boarding..
And some one else said cookies and milk via room service at bedtime was something their kids looked forward to every night..

We travel the Disney Dream with our three kids in December ages 17, 13 and 11
So far we would like to parasail at castaway cay and do the blue lagoon dolphin swim at Nassau.

Obviously having fun and family time is our #1 rule!

When are you going in Dec? We are going 11/30-12/4 kids ages 20 and 5

Great posts!!! #1 what is the Rainforest Pass #2 stone loungers? #3 can't wait for cookies/milk and coffee at 11pm. #4 anyone going 11/9 on Dream ? #5 is Atlantis really worth $179 or $259 w/dolphin excursion #6 documentation - i only need BC right? leaving PC and returning 11/13 PC (just realized friday the 13th yikes) thank u!!!!

Great tips -- glad I came across this thread as we are going on our first cruise in March -- thanks all for the great tips!

This upcoming cruise next week will be our 4th DCL cruise (can't wait!). We have experienced uncomfortable pressuring twice - and this was on our two most recent cruises. It was so bad that our server GRABBED my arm on our way out and kept imploring me to say they were excellent on the surveys, and by the way - did I know he had two babies at home that he was supporting. I am not a shrinking violet. I lived in NYC, I have traveled internationally and can ignore the vendors hawking goods in foreign countries like the best of them. This was bordering on flat-out assault. One of our cruises had our server telling us tragic tales of his baby - who he just found out existed - and how much he needed tips to survive. We were fairly certain the entire story was fabricated. We had two young children with us and had to inform his manager that we were uncomfortable with his service. I do not know what is happening with the DCL servers - our drink servers both trips were unbelievably fabulous - but I am worried about this upcoming cruise.

I must say that my reaction to this is :scared1:! Regardless of whether one can argue that Disney's policy is too stringent wrt survey ratings, I don't see an excuse for this in customer service. Talk about almost ensuring that a guest will be made uncomfortable! Perhaps I'm just mean, but if I experienced this, there is no way I would give an "excellent" rating! This would go in my comments.

Great posts!!! #1 what is the Rainforest Pass #2 stone loungers? #3 can't wait for cookies/milk and coffee at 11pm. #4 anyone going 11/9 on Dream ? #5 is Atlantis really worth $179 or $259 w/dolphin excursion #6 documentation - i only need BC right? leaving PC and returning 11/13 PC (just realized friday the 13th yikes) thank u!!!!

The Rainforest Pass is a day (or cruise-long) pass to the Rainforest Room, which (depending on which ship you're on) has steam rooms, sauna, special showers with various and sundry water pressures and/or temperatures, hot tub and heated stone loungers.
The aforementioned stone loungers are heaven-sent... hot stone-tiled loungers in a relaxing, low-lit room (or overlooking a hot tub that overlooks the water - again, depending on which ship you're on)
And, yes... BC is enough for cruise, although many travelers prefer a passport book in case something happens medically and you need to be transported back to the country by some other method. Personally, we cruise with passport cards (which don't help that whole need-to-leave-the country-by-air situation.

Happy cruising!

It's pack time we cruise in 2 weeks but leave. On vacation sooner.
I'm glad I made it least 20 lists of things not to forget, lol ( they all say the same thing too.

Husband and kids don't forget the husband and kids they like Mickey too!
:santa::sail:

1. Enjoy family time. If you possibly can, leave the electronics at home. If you have to bring them then lock them in the safe not to be used again until you leave the ship to head home. I have a 14 year old and a 12 (soon to be 13 year old) and they leave their tablets,phones etc at home. This helps with having to bring all the charging cables, headphones etc that go with that and keeping track of everything too. My husband's main reason for taking cruises is to NOT have his phone on him for 4 to 7 days. We own a plumbing company and up until our first cruise in 2013 always had his phone on him. Now, he leaves it on the dresser at home and our guys are in charge while we are gone. :)

2. Definitely wear or pack swim suits, flip flops and have sunscreen handy. Especially if you are sailing between April and September. Tropical sun is much different than any other. Reapply that sunscreen frequently. :) Also, a little aloe vera gel never hurt anyone. Be sure to purchase this at home to save some money. Costco, Target, Walmart etc. have sunscreen for a much more reasonable price than in a port or on the ship. You need to have enough for your entire family to be covered for the length of the trip. One bad sunburn is all it will take to dampen the fun factor.

3. This is the time to experiment with trying new foods that you would never cook for yourself or try at home in a restaurant. My kids choose one appetizer, entrée, and dessert every evening that they would never have ordered at home. If they don't like it, then our awesome servers bring them the old tried and true dishes they know they like. No harm no foul. :) And when in doubt about dessert...get a Mickey Bar. They are my 49 year old and 12 year olds favorite go to dessert. :) lol

4. Walk and talk on Deck 4 around the ship. Stop and play shuffleboard and sit in the amazingly comfortable loungers. Check out the minigolf course on the top deck and watch the wake behind you. Look for dolphins jumping the wake or playing beside the ship. :) So beautiful and calming.

5. If you have a verandah, sit out there and read a book if you like to read ( a real one from the library or store will do the trick nicely). Or sit and have an evening drink as you watch the sun set into the horizon and the light change on the water. Count your blessings and appreciate the time you have with your family.

6. Finally, if you do an excursion (and you don't have to feel obligated to do so) choose something that shares the history of where you are visiting and the culture. It is so much more interesting to walk and be in the moment of a place that so many will only read about. Drink in the culture and enjoy every moment. Forget the cost for a little while. What you are enjoying is priceless and special.
If you DON'T do an excursion, relax on the ship and enjoy what it has to offer as well. Cast members and crew seem to be willing to talk more if they are not as busy and if show an interest in them. When we were in Jamaica the first time, one of our servers was from there and shared firsthand experiences at dinner every night. She was amazing. :) Our room hostess was also from Jamaica and shared culture with the kids. Priceless.

Overall, have a fantastic time and be in the moment. You will definitely want to book another, and another. :)

Just got back from our first Disney cruise. As said many times before, you can't do it all. It really helped me to look at previous Navigators from cruises and see what was available, then decide one or two things we wanted to do each day. If you plan more it's too much. We did "miss" some things I thought we might want to do, didn't like a couple of things I thought we would (Rainforest Room, Villains Tonight) but had a great time anyway. Navigator link here
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/

On your cruise, make a mental note of the wonderful things you didn't have time to do and will look forward to for the next cruise! Just like visiting the parks :)

Don't focus to much on excursions... it's a big add on cost and there is plenty to do on the ship.. Use the time others are off the ship to lounge and explore with lower crowds

Don't focus to much on excursions... it's a big add on cost and there is plenty to do on the ship.. Use the time others are off the ship to lounge and explore with lower crowds

Shhhhhhhhh... Don't tell anybody about his. We want them *all* to go on all-day excursions!

Go on excursions that start as soon as the all ashore is given. Make sure you use every last minute in port. Staying on the boat while in port is terrible. It's so boring. ;)

On short cruises especially, if you are prone to seasickness remember to keep using your medication even if it just seems to be working. On the last night at sea the ship picks up speed to get home and crosses rougher seas. You might really needs your meds then. My DD forgot to replace her patch after the third day and was sick that night and the next day. And if you are motion sick too getting on a bus to take you to the airport and a plane to fly home can be a not so nice experience.

I also decide before hand what color dress slacks to take and match my tops to them. If I'm on a three or for day cruise I don't need both black and brown and blue pants and the assorted tops to go with them. Also I send my slacks to the cleaners just for pressing (which is half the cost of dry cleaning).

Order a carafe of coffee around midnight... it will still be piping hot in the morning. Oh and request your cookies warm for room service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter