Your must do Nassau excursion

matt&jakesmom

DIS Veteran
Going in November and cannot decide what excursion to do or even if we should get off the ship. What do you do?

I've been to Nassau twice and both times we have done Atlantis on our own ( taken a cab over and just walked around ). This was several years ago and with the current travel concerns in Nassau - if you go on the island I recommend you do it through Disney.

They do have a few different options to Nassau for Atlantis. The resort really is worth checking out and their water park is amazing.

Satellite Falls (adult only), Midship Detective, and reading on Deck 4.

Yes, those are all on board. There is no must-do excursion in Nassau as far as I’m concerned.

It depends on YOUR demographic and pleasures. Please don't be dissuaded, because there will surely be people telling you "don't bother" to see anything in Nassau.

Young family, active children, yep, aquaventure at Atlantis.

With kids, or just adults, who have an interest, the aquarium tour at Atlantis is great.

Fit, adventurous adults - The Nassau Public Library & Museum, then to the 66 Steps aka Queens Staircase, and a walk around Fort Fincastle. Heading back, a respite stop at the Graycliff Hotel, for a refreshing libation in the wonderfully air-conditioned lobby bar. Perhaps a walk in their gardens, or a stop at their chocalate shop. Or all three.

MY must do, is a stop at the locals' lunch window on, I believe, Frederick Street opposite where the water taxis tie up. Conch fritters done right, and lots of local choices that do tend to sell out early, all prepared fresh and to order. Low prices. Diagonally across the street a local market for an ice cold beer. Then lunch sitting on the concrete wall down from the water taxis, taking in the sights and sounds.

YMMV

If younger kids that would enjoy it. Walk to Pirate Museum and after go across street to British Colonial Hilton where you can buy day passes ahead of time that include a food voucher. From the beach you can see the ship.

We last cruised in 2015 and had a stop in Nassau. It was DH, myself, and our then just turned 5 year old DD. We also had my sister, her DD, and her two sons ages 15 and 13. That was our first cruise for all of us, and we were eager to say we stepped foot there. We got off and ventured down past the straw market, down to Senior Frogs and took obligatory frog pictures, came back up another street, and then proceeded to walk back down by the water. We went in and out of a few shops; my BIL is a big Harley fan so i remember that being our first stop.

For me, with a young child, I did not particular enjoy that method. Getting through the initial locals trying to get you to take their taxi, buy their goods, etc felt stressful to me. When we walked back down by the water and was looking at the ships in port, we had locals come up to say our daughter needed whatever they were selling. I never felt particularly unsafe, but just for that part of town, I certainly don't see anything to return to for our upcoming cruise this October.

It's not to say you shouldn't do what appeals to you. That is just our experience. I left Nassau saying I wouldn't get back off the ship unless I was doing an excursion. So when we booked this coming cruise, we dabbled with what to do. We ruled Atlantis out; not that we don't want to see it - I would love to - but DH isn't a huge water guy so the day at Castaway will be plenty of beach time for him. Overall what Atlantis sounded like it would offer, it just seemed a little pricey for to us. We ended up considering the chocolate tour, or the tour that takes you to the staircase and fort.

You know what ultimately won? We decided to relax on the ship that day and go to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party the night we return to Port Canaveral :) So it is truly just a personal decision.

If nothing appeals to you stay on the ship and enjoy the quite. I dont get off at ports very often. Pools and Cabanas less crowded.

My daughter thought the Graycliff Chocolate making was one of the best port adventures ever (and we've been to a LOT of different ports). We also had some pretty fun and fabulous people on our tour that made it even more enjoyable.

My family also enjoyed the Graycliff Chocolate-Making excursion. I certainly wouldn’t call it a must-do, but if you would rather take an excursion than stay on the ship, it’s a good option since it doesn’t take a full day and is something you wouldn’t get in most other places (unlike beaches, which I can get at Castaway Cay and don’t want to pay extra for).

Last edited:
It will depend a lot on your group's interests. Our family enjoys waterparks, and on one trip we did Aquaventure. We're very glad we did it (plus it's fun to see commercials and know we've been), but at the same time, it's more expensive and overall not better than, say, the Disney waterparks, though some of the parts are unique and fun. (Hint: if you go, bring water shoes, as the pavement was scorching - literally.) I wouldn't say it was a "must do", but it's hard to imagine going with a family that had our interests and not doing it.

Depending on your interests, you might find other things worthwhile. I'm glad I once walked around a little and visited the straw market - I would have felt weird going to a port the first time and not at least getting off. But, I definitely have no intention of doing so again; having done so (and having done Aquaventure), I'm not sure I'd bother getting off on another trip.

Thank you. So far we just booked the stingray excursion on the private island. I booked it for 11 a.m. Anyone know if that will be a good time with November weather. I am thinking better in the morning than afternoon in case storm rolls thru. That's what happened last time. And I booked it but it didn't ask for money. When do I pay for this.

MY must do, is a stop at the locals' lunch window on, I believe, Frederick Street opposite where the water taxis tie up. Conch fritters done right, and lots of local choices that do tend to sell out early, all prepared fresh and to order. Low prices. Diagonally across the street a local market for an ice cold beer. Then lunch sitting on the concrete wall down from the water taxis, taking in the sights and sounds.

That sounds great! :)

We walked over to the Never Say Never Again Bar. It is the octagon you see sticking out into the water on the PTZtv Port Nassau web camera. We enjoyed a couple Mimosas, took some photos of the ships and bar, and called our daughter. I had enabled Verizon Travel Pass on one of our phones - good for voice, not so good for data / messaging.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter