Your opinion: Rent a car or take the buses?

Forgot our third most important offsite trip (1st is Universal, 2nd is groceries)! Sweet Tomatoes! Gotta get the nice buffet and salad bar at least once a visit. On a recent 3 night visit my cousin and I hit ST three times. :)

After spending thousands on park tickets, why waste a minute of your time on a bus ? Your time is worth something no...? Do the math, over a span of 7 days you have to spend min 20 hours riding buses vs sitting at the pool, kicking back, relaxing, or do anything else you would rather be doing ? I'd say you spend 1/8th of the time w/a rental car vs bus when at WDW. Not to mention ever try to get to a dinner/lunch/breakfast at another resort on a bus from your resort that's not on your resort's run ? One trip and done is all it took us, buses suck, never again.

If we fly we ALWAYS use DME. It's free - that means a LOT to us. With DS now a freshman in (private) college and us taking multiple trips per year (usually) we have to stick to a budget. Our MO the past couple of years is to drive down on our longer summer trip & fly on our winter / F&W or whatever trips. When we fly we get a grocery order from Garden Grocer to include some beer so we really don't NEED a car (and I keep some booze in our Owners Locker). When we drive we only leave the property if we need to replenish groceries (I have no desire to go offsite to eat at a chain restaurant that is 90% of the time something we can eat at at home on any given day). The meals at Carrabbas or Outback or similar are really not THAT much of a savings and the waits at the off-site restaurants are long and I can make an ADR and not have to deal with the hassle. Really, the only time we drive around Disney on our summer trips is to maybe go to an evening ADR at Epcot because the parking is pretty close and you can usually find something not to far from the entrance. And of course if we're staying at an Epcot area resort we can just walk in the back entrance. Driving to MK is a logistial nightmare - the parking lots are too far away. I really don't see the value in paying good hard earned money to rent a car when the bus and luggage service is free. We don't consider the buses to be THAT bad.

My regional airport has a direct flight to Sanford airport (I'd have to do a connection somewhere to fly into MCO). So when we fly, we rent a car at Sanford. We've also made the drive a couple of times. I really like having a car and not using the bus. The signs are very easy to follow and to me, it's much more stressful standing on a bus full of sweaty, overtired people than getting my own comfy seat in my own (or rented) car.

Quick story from my most recent trip - I thought I'd give the buses another try. We were there on the 24 hour day (Friday before Memorial Day). We stayed at CBR. We got to the bus stop at 5:40 AM. I knew I would be cutting it close for rope drop, but that was my own fault for not getting up early enough. Anyway, there were a ton of people at the bus stop. I then heard a guy on his phone telling someone he'd been there waiting for a bus since 5 AM! I assume that means no buses had come to pick people up for the Magic Kingdom yet. It's a special day in the park and you don't send buses? I turned immediately to my husband and told him we should just get in the car because who knew when a bus would come? We passed one other CBR bus stop on our way out of the resort and it, too, was full of people. I also felt bad for all those people who got to the bus stop at 5 AM to see the special rope drop for the 24 hour day and missed it because apparently someone dropped the ball on sending buses to CBR.

Driving to MK a logistical nightmare? Not when you park at Poly for "breakfast, lunch, or dinner" then hop the monorail. Work the system or it works you, for what the overall magical experience costs, value runs deep for every second not spent on a bus,at a stop, or multiple other drop offs that aren't your resort. $150 for a car for a week....pffft...priceless.

Driving to MK a logistical nightmare? Not when you park at Poly for "breakfast, lunch, or dinner" then hop the monorail. Work the system or it works you, for what the overall magical experience costs, value runs deep for every second not spent on a bus,at a stop, or multiple other drop offs that aren't your resort. $150 for a car for a week....pffft...priceless.
Definitely agree, the shear fact that you can come and go as please and not have to spend time on a bus or at a stop is priceless. You are on vacation and getting to and from where you want to go should not be dictated to you by anyone. Once you rent a car you will never go back to straight up Disney transportation. Use MME and maybe a boat ride or monorail here and there, but do yourself the favor of renting the car.

We rent a car and drive everywhere including MK. When you want to go somewhere you just get in your car and go. No waiting for buses or dealing with other passengers. Plus you can shop for groceries and dine off-property at regular prices. I love the freedom of having my own ride in WDW.

Forgot our third most important offsite trip (1st is Universal, 2nd is groceries)! Sweet Tomatoes! Gotta get the nice buffet and salad bar at least once a visit. On a recent 3 night visit my cousin and I hit ST three times. :)

Same here, it's great having your own car to go to US/IOA. Just a short drive down I4. We also hit Sweet Tomatoes usually the first day were there. We go to the one on Irlo Bronson Hwy and then shop at Super Target which is next door.

Last edited:

I totally get ppl trying to save money by not renting a car but if anyone actually ran the numbers/costs of airfare, tickets, dvc costs/hotel, food, etc and figure out what the cost is for a week at WDW, figure it by the hour, times 5 to 10 hours of bus time, you'd be losing money on your stay.

Sorry about your issues OP. Other than a long wait for a DAK bus on 2 trips we had no issues. However we are 2 adults take public transit for work and don't mind waiting for a bus ( a WDW delay beats PATCO delays any day.)Before DME our rental car stayed in the lot anyway. We have used taxis sometimes to go to or from another resort and the cost of those in a trip were less than a rental. Plus if we both want a couple of adult beverages we can do so.

I don't rent a car. I don't want to be stuck driving on vacation, especially at Disney World. For the most part I relax and let the buses take me as they will.

I do keep some taxi money on hand for when I am not feeling patient. As far as morning breakfasts go, I NEVER use the Disney buses. I plan on taxis. OP I'm not sure when you boarded that bus to get to your ADR, but if it was less than 90 minutes ahead of time, then you didn't leave enough time. Disney strongly suggests you allow at least 90 minutes to make it to ADRs using their transportation. I'd much rather spend $20 and save an hour of my time and a whole lot of stress.

I hate driving while on vacation :D.

I think this says it all. If you hate driving on vacation, then stick with the buses. Renting & driving would have its own hassles.

Keep taxi money on hand for if a bus nightmare appears to be in the works, or when you want to go resort to resort. We never rent a car, but do use taxis occasionally, and have hired a town car for drop-off/pick-up from a non-Disney park. Worked fine, no hassles, never felt my time was wasted.

Very glad I didn't have the stress of driving in an unfamiliar area or worry about a rental car.

Last edited:
As you can tell you are going to get varying opinions about this, none are wrong or right, everyone has their own preference. We drive down and have done so since 1982. In all that time we've driven to a park once, this last trip in March. Normally, we park our car and never touch it again until we leave. We have no desire to go off property to eat and we don't need to have any groceries for our room since we rarely snack and if we do, we always have travel snack things in the car anyway. I've gotten into split stays lately, one or two nights in a moderate and then the rest in an Epcot resort. Last trip we knew we were going to AK on hotel switch day, CBR to Swan. We debated (my grown son and I) whether to go over to Swan, check in and take the bus to AK or drive to AK, then drive to Swan and check in. We didn't decide until the morning of, we were up bright and early and ready to go around 8 or so. What the heck, if you drive (me to son) let's go on to AK. We were there early enough to be like the second person at the tapstyle for rope drop. We left around noon or so and drove over to the Swan. Since we left so early, we parked in about the first lane for normal parking and when we left we literally were the only people leaving the parking lot. It was o.k., the parking was about the same distance as the bus stops and because of our timing no parking traffic. Had we not been doing a split stay and had AK not been our park choice for the day, we would not have driven. I've had no problems with Disney transportation. Yes, I've occasionally had to wait for a second bus when leaving MK right after FWs but that was only because I just didn't want to be squished in. The next bus arrived a good 5 min. after the first left. Yes, we have had to stand on the way home from the parks, we only take buses to AK or MK so in that's not that often during our trips. We have also had almost empty buses (once or twice I've been the only one on the bus) and have had only a 5 min. wait.

Hopefully a lot of people choose not to do it this way.
That could make monorails at resorts even more crowded. You can take a monorail from the ttc and park your car there.

No worries, it's a drop in the bucket and it's prob an 6 yr old tip from these boards, either way we are riding a monorail, ttc or resort.

I read thru it all and I am still, not sure. Our reason for wanting to rent a car is different. We have a service dog, and although I have seen service dogs in the park I have never seen them on the buses, and I am scared to death that they will step on her feet, she will be sliding into people while jammed in. I have been 5 times and always left the dog at home, and we ha be always used buses, we have had a few problems, always at the end of the day, and with long waits some days. And to answer someone's question, bus drivers are suppose to be able to talk to each other and a dispatcher, but don't count on anyone answering. Last sept we went, and we were on DME first stop us beach club, but there was a bus were we had to park, that bus would not answer why it was taking so long, we literally sat for 30 minutes waiting, he never did answer his phone or whatever, and neither did dispatch. He honked and flashed his lights and nothing. I am sure the other four groups to other resorts were pisst at us. Anyway, we do go al over, we do very early morning breakfast, we do go back mid day, we park hop, we do archery, carriage rides and such, so I am assuming it makes sense, but then I have to learn to drive WDW, and then what about handicap parking, were do we go. Three hotels we will be at are on the monorail, one is at board walk and then one is at animal kingdom. I am really thinking, do we need the car the hole time or just when at animal kingdom. That will allow me a little more freedom. Any thoughts?

For us it depends on the circumstances. When traveling with my mom (age 86) or young children, we find that a car is very handy. It allows us to return quickly to our resort if necessary. And for seniors, we have found that a car is just more comfortable and less tiring. And it's easier to load strollers into a car trunk than drag them on a bus IMHO (been there, done that more times than I can count). If it's just DH and me, we usually don't rent unless we have side trips planned, but we've done it just for convenience a few times too. And we mostly still use ME and rent once we arrive at WDW.

With a service dog I would definitely rent a car. You can go when you need to, and you won't have to stress about the dog getting stepped on. They do pack the buses full, and many do not have an inside aisle where you could put the dog out of harms way. Rent a car.

No worries, it's a drop in the bucket and it's prob an 6 yr old tip from these boards, either way we are riding a monorail, ttc or resort.

I'd be willing to bet it's not - one complaint I see here a lot is from people staying at CR, the Poly and the Epcot resorts (it doesn't seem to be an issue at GF), not being able to find a parking spot during the day, but then miraculously seeing the parking lot empty out when the parks close.

I'd be willing to bet it's not - one complaint I see here a lot is from people staying at CR, the Poly and the Epcot resorts (it doesn't seem to be an issue at GF), not being able to find a parking spot during the day, but then miraculously seeing the parking lot empty out when the parks close.

I've lived that at both the Contemporary and the Beach Club. And it sucks that people can't follow the signs and park where they are supposed to, instead of where they can get away with parking. I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot they wouldn't be happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter