Your Second Choice to Aulani

GatorChris

Not of This World
Let's pretend that everyone on these boards aren't filthy rich and for some reason can't afford to go to Aulani when the visit Hawaii. :duck:Again, hypothetical. If you had to choose another Oahu or Hawaiian Island resort, which one would you choose. And since you're sharing in this dream scenario:bitelip:, go ahead and tell us why.

Actually, not my 2nd choice, more like my 1st choice with Aulani being very close 2nd choice... I find that I love Marriott Ko Olina timeshare next door much better because it feels a like a much more laid back, more relaxing resort to me. Marriott Ko Olina is more spread out with more pools. Aulani is just 2 buildings in a small area with pools in the middle, so it feels more crowded and busier to me.

Both resorts are beautiful, and I would probably give the toss up to Aulani for it being nicer in terms of looks / theming, but I go on vacation to relax, and the Marriott just feels more like home to me. But you can't go wrong with both resort! I do believe Marriott's pricing is on par with Aulani, on the cash side of the reservations.

Great3

Last edited:
I am partial to the Big Island because we got married there and travel there quite a bit but imho a fairly decent option and one we are probably going to do on our next Hawaii trip is Hilton Grand Vacations Kings Land in the Waikoloa area of the Big Island. These are suite style rooms rather than hotel rooms and are priced about a third lower than Aulani. For example you can book a junior suite with a cooktop, full fridge, microwave, dining table, two double beds and a pull out for 230/night in May plus resort fee of $25 & tax
The same time at Aulani is over $500/night (rack rate) for a room with no kitchen and over $800 with a similar kitchen
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/koaklgv-kings-land-by-hilton-grand-vacations/gallery/
The great part of this as a Hawaiian vacation option instead of Aulani is that use of the Hilton Waikoloa Village pools and grounds are included in the resort fee along with the pools of the Kings Land area
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/koahwhh-hilton-waikoloa-village/activities/pools/
One thing to note, the isn't a swimmable beach right at the resort but there is one called Anaehoomalu Bay beach within walking distance in the Waikoloa resort.
https://www.lovebigisland.com/big-island-beaches/anaehoomalu-beach/There is also one of the most incredible beaches within a 10 minute drive up the highway called Hapuna Beach. Words and pictures cannot describe how gorgeous this long shallow stretch of soft sand and clear waters is
https://www.gohawaii.com/islands/hawaii-big-island/regions/kohala/hapuna-beach-state-park

Last edited:
Another option for me is Kiahuna Plantation on Kauai
You can book them through Outrigger Hotels or VRBO
It is kind of hit or miss with these units as most are privately owned and some have been renovated, some have not.

This is pretty different from Aulani but they are situated on a fantastic beach and if you treat yourself to a night or two at the Grand Hyatt up the road you get the amazing pool experience too

I second the Ko Olina Marriott for Oahu. We've also stayed at and enjoyed the Outrigger on Waikiki and the Marriott Waikiki.

Kauai - Our favorite resort area is the North Shore area. The Hanalei Bay Resort and The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort are our absolute favorite places we've ever stayed.

Big Island we love the Marriott Waikoloa for the Kona side and for the Hilo side we really enjoyed the Kilauea Lodge and the Volcano House in Volcano NP.

Mauna Kea on the Big Island is a fantastic resort. We honeymooned there. It is a classic!

I have not stayed there but it is on my bucket list for sure!
We have spent some time at the beach there and it is just incredible.

I have not stayed there but it is on my bucket list for sure!
We have spent some time at the beach there and it is just incredible.
Was the best hotel I have ever stayed at. Ahhhh the days before kids. I plan some day to to return for adult fun.

My wife and I love the Big Island this will be our first stay together on Oahu. We're currently on the waitlist for a 2-bedroom at Aulani in June.
We have reserved a beautiful house on the big island for a week. We'll then head over to Oahu for three more nights.
We're three couples so it's a big clunky finding a backup plan for our Oahu stays.

Does anyone have any experience with The Laylow in Waikiki? I'm looking for a modern version of the 60s Hawaii vibe if possible.

Does anyone have any experience with The Laylow in Waikiki? I'm looking for a modern version of the 60s Hawaii vibe if possible.

I have not stayed there but the pics look amazing.
I am not a huge fan of Waikiki but I do like Honolulu and one of the reasons I do is the boom of building that happened in the 50's and 60's and that period of architecture is reflected in so many structures.
I love what they have tried to do with the Laylow.
I am sure you have mapped the location and know it is set back into the city area bout a block and a half. This area on Kuhio is actually kind of ok, it is slowly being revitalized and the walk down takes you right out to the area of the main drag called Kalakaua ave. The beach is the other side of that street. This is cool area with a very strong buzzy vibe, kind of like a mini Las Vegas.
This is actually a good location for a hotel that is off the main drag.

I think what you want to do and see in Oahu dictates where you should stay.
If you want the party atmosphere and night life of a major urban city with pretty great restaurants and bars and some fun shopping then Waikiki is great for a couple of nights.
The beach itself is dirty and can be crowded. Like wall to wall people crowded. I have seen a homeless guy relieve himself in the water and got out when I saw it float close enough to realize what it was.
Lost and lots of homeless people, lots of drug issues, it is sad but a total reality of this area.
Another issue I have with Waikiki is the traffic. Again, if you are just staying in the general area no worries. If you plan to tour in and around Oahu you will be fighting the brutal traffic into and out of the city.
There is traffic going West to Ko Olina and Aulani but it isn't as bad as the city proper traffic.

There are other hotels/resorts in the Ko Olina area like the Marriott Ko Olina Beach resort and even the Four Seasons. In Kapolei, about a 5 minute drive form Aulani, there are a few business hotels near the mall that can make for a decent home base to explore Oahu if you have not other choice. Places like Embassy Suites and Hampton Inn but these are not resorts and I think for my first time to Oahu I wouldn't stay here over Waikiki.

My wife and I had our first trip to Hawaii in October (after we cancelled on the WDW 50th) we wanted to get out see things without being over programmed (I didn't want to be rushing around everyday). At the same time I'm not one that can lay in a lounge chair in the sun all day. Working with our TA that had booked our WDW trip we decided we wanted to island hop. The appeal of Waikiki is of zero interest to us, though seeing the USS Arizona is on our list, we opted to skip Oahu this trip.

Instead we spent 4 nights on the Kona side of the Big Island and 4 nights on Maul in the Kaanapali area. While we had a good size budget for the trip, but we're not the type to stay at a really expensive hotel, we'd rather stay at something reasonable that affords us to come back again sooner vs dropping all the cash at once. We stayed at the Royal Kona and the Royal Lahina and I'd go back to both of them in a heart beat. While both are very different they both had some great views and the rooms were comfortable and unlike Disney we had delightful room service everyday.

We enjoyed the diversity of the two islands and had a blast on both. Our drive to Hilo and the volcano was wondering and the crazy wild rain storm we hit on the way back was actually fun and memorable, visit to the City of Refuge was a great visit the swim with the Manta Rays was amazing. We skipped the Road to Hana on Maui, loved the Pineapple tour and snorkeling around the area.

Here is the view we had on Kona and Maui (click to enlarge)
Patio view Royal Kona.jpegPatio view Royal Lahina.jpeg

We're now in the process of booking our next trip, though probably just stay on one island this time.

AlohaMom
I have not stayed there but the pics look amazing.
I am not a huge fan of Waikiki but I do like Honolulu and one of the reasons I do is the boom of building that happened in the 50's and 60's and that period of architecture is reflected in so many structures.
I love what they have tried to do with the Laylow.
I am sure you have mapped the location and know it is set back into the city area bout a block and a half. This area on Kuhio is actually kind of ok, it is slowly being revitalized and the walk down takes you right out to the area of the main drag called Kalakaua ave. The beach is the other side of that street. This is cool area with a very strong buzzy vibe, kind of like a mini Las Vegas.
This is actually a good location for a hotel that is off the main drag.

I think what you want to do and see in Oahu dictates where you should stay.
If you want the party atmosphere and night life of a major urban city with pretty great restaurants and bars and some fun shopping then Waikiki is great for a couple of nights.
The beach itself is dirty and can be crowded. Like wall to wall people crowded. I have seen a homeless guy relieve himself in the water and got out when I saw it float close enough to realize what it was.
Lost and lots of homeless people, lots of drug issues, it is sad but a total reality of this area.
Another issue I have with Waikiki is the traffic. Again, if you are just staying in the general area no worries. If you plan to tour in and around Oahu you will be fighting the brutal traffic into and out of the city.
There is traffic going West to Ko Olina and Aulani but it isn't as bad as the city proper traffic.

There are other hotels/resorts in the Ko Olina area like the Marriott Ko Olina Beach resort and even the Four Seasons. In Kapolei, about a 5 minute drive form Aulani, there are a few business hotels near the mall that can make for a decent home base to explore Oahu if you have not other choice. Places like Embassy Suites and Hampton Inn but these are not resorts and I think for my first time to Oahu I wouldn't stay here over Waikiki.

AlohaMom… thank you!
Your post gets to the heart and confusion of where to make a home base on Oahu for a short stay. In reality, Aulani is probably not the smartest move. Our stay on Oahu will be a blur — Pearl Harbor, North Shore, Cultural Center are the goals of the group. I'm a Diamond Hilton Honors and your mention of Embassy Suites and the Hampton Inn -makes a lot of sense.

But my heart is wanting that 60s Hawaii vibe that I've romanced about since a kid. My Aunt/Uncle and cousins lived in Hawaii in the 70s and I had a trip to visit canceled at the last minute when my Grandfatherfell ill.

Decisions, decisions…

I 100% understand this!
My very first visit to Oahu was in 1977 at the age of 10.
It was the heyday of Waikiki and it was amazing.
The influence of this trip shaped all my future travel.

A similar story for me… my Aunt would send my grandmother newspapers from Honolulu - I treasured those newspapers as a kid and I read them front to back. It sparked a fascination with Hawaii mostly the Big Island and James Cook's story in Hawaii.

So… I hate to keep bothering you - but - you might have a suggestion. Do you have a Tiki Bar recommendation? Hoping for a more authentic experience over a tourist destination if that's a thing.

Thank you so much for your time.

Do you have a Tiki Bar recommendation? Hoping for a more authentic experience over a tourist destination if that's a thing.

For sure!

The first thing that comes to mind is La Mariana Sailing Club. It is as authentic as a 60's Tiki Bar gets but it is closed right now and idk when it will be opened again.I googled it and it say Feb2022 but who knows these days with Covid and how it has hit the islands. It's kind of off the beaten path over on Sand Island access road just west of Waikiki and just east of the airport.
www.lamarianasailingclub.com

House Without A Key at the Halekulani Hotel is just an incredible place when it comes to old school Hawaii.
This is a classic with amazing authentic Mai Tais and hula, but not a Tiki Bar per say.
https://www.halekulani.com/dining/house-without-a-key/
Duke's Waikiki is fun, it has that old Waikiki feel and the breakfast offers decent value but it is totally touristy. Not really a tiki bar but fun and quite iconic in the area.www.dukeswaikiki.com

This isn't a Tiki Bar but Haleiwa Joe's Haiku Gardens restaurant is very old school with great food in an incredible location.
It is a bit of a drive from Waikiki and idk if you will have time but I feel this is the kind of thing you might like as well
www.haleiwajoes.com

Last edited:
For sure!

The first thing that comes to mind is La Mariana Sailing Club. It is as authentic as a 60's Tiki Bar gets but it is closed right now and idk when it will be opened again.I googled it and it say Feb2022 but who knows these days with Covid and how it has hit the islands. It's kind of off the beaten path over on Sand Island access road just west of Waikiki and just east of the airport.
www.lamarianasailingclub.com

House Without A Key at the Halekulani Hotel is just an incredible place when it comes to old school Hawaii.
This is a classic with amazing authentic Mai Tais and hula, but not a Tiki Bar per say.
https://www.halekulani.com/dining/house-without-a-key/
Duke's Waikiki is fun, it has that old Waikiki feel and the breakfast offers decent value but it is totally touristy. Not really a tiki bar but fun and quite iconic in the area.www.dukeswaikiki.com

This isn't a Tiki Bar but Haleiwa Joe's Haiku Gardens restaurant is very old school with great food in an incredible location.
It is a bit of a drive from Waikiki and idk if you will have time but I feel this is the kind of thing you might like as well
www.haleiwajoes.com

thank you Aloha Mom for these recommendations.

I've only been to Oahu, since they were requiring covid tests for interisland travel at the time.

Aside from Aulani, my next choice would be Turtle Bay. They have a very nice beach and it's a short walk to one of my favorite places on Oahu.

Waikiki has no appeal to me. The beaches are great for swimming, but I'm not a fan of the concrete jungle and expensive food/shops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter