• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Your Thanksgiving Gravy-quick update page 5

I think MIL makes her own from the turkey drippings?? I'm not completely positive, because I've never really liked any kind of gravy, so I don't take any - but I've passed it to people, and it's definitely light, not dark brown. Beef gravy with turkey does seem weird to me.

Home made gravy from the drippings and also the canned gravy. Some like fresh and some don't.

Homemade turkey gravy, always. I start a stock with the neck, giblets, carrots, celery and onions first thing in the morning and top off with broth as the day goes by. Use some for my stuffing then get it going again for the gravy. Mix with the pan drippings, chopped giblets and meat from the neck and man, it is amazing. (If I do say so myself, lol)

Exactly same here.
Are you my cousin, lol?

Gravy from the drippings, no veggie add-ins - just some celery salt when I add the salt & pepper.

I got to my mom's every year so we have gravy in a jar or can, whichever my dad picked up at the store. I went to my in laws for dinner once over 30 years ago and never again. The stuffing was black and crunchy. I still haven't figured out how they made it that way. No potatoes at all but the gravy was an experience. It was made from tomato juice, butter and onions. It was the worst meal I ever ate. Thankfully my parents eat later in the day so I was able to get potatoes and my canned gravy.

Of course the fun part came over the next 2 days dealing with my son. Unknown to me they fed him at least a half of a can of cranberry sauce. He was 6 months old and still detests cranberry sauce.

McCormick's turkey gravy packet. Perfect gravy every time. I can't make good pan dripping gravy, I just don't have the skill.

I use the dry mix as a base. I add drippings from the turkey which is loaded with champagne and butter, comes out very tasty. The gravy that comes in a jar is just nasty.

I got to my mom's every year so we have gravy in a jar or can, whichever my dad picked up at the store. I went to my in laws for dinner once over 30 years ago and never again. The stuffing was black and crunchy. I still haven't figured out how they made it that way. No potatoes at all but the gravy was an experience. It was made from tomato juice, butter and onions. It was the worst meal I ever ate. Thankfully my parents eat later in the day so I was able to get potatoes and my canned gravy.

Of course the fun part came over the next 2 days dealing with my son. Unknown to me they fed him at least a half of a can of cranberry sauce. He was 6 months old and still detests cranberry sauce.
Ok, yuck, you win the worst gravy award! :laughing:

These days I go out for Thanksgiving, but my sister comes for Christmas and we do the "turkey dinner" thing then. For as long as I can remember, we have always had homemade turkey gravy, and making it is a big deal. IMO, the entire point of actually putting a turkey in the oven is so you can get the drippings to make gravy. We use instructions from an OLD name-brand turkey and it's just flour, fat skimmed from the drippings, and the drippings. Some years we fight the flour and battle the lumps, other years it goes perfectly. There is absolutely nothing like the real deal - homemade turkey gravy all the way!

we do a gravy made by sauteing chopped onions, bell peppers, and celery (all diced up small) in butter. Then we add a couple of cups of turkey broth, a can of cream of mushroom, salt, pepper, and a little poultry seasoning. We have been doing this for as long as I can remember (over 40 years) and it's sooooooo yummy. We fight over the leftovers and will eventually mix cut up turkey into it and served over white rice. Omg, can't wait to make it!

My husband's granny would make some kind of gravy with boiled eggs in it???? Never seen anything like that and it was ehhhh

I am from the South... gravy, real gravy (not jarred beef gravy) is a MUST.
My inlaws were from the North. They did not even consider gravy.
After a lot of 'dry' thanksgiving meals, I started making gravy.

A few times I also baked a Turkey, so I had the AusJus.
A few times I just got out a pan when we got to MIL's, and when she took the Turkey out of the oven, I made some gravy on the spot.

Many people are afraid of gravy... They wonder, how to make it so that it isn't lumpy??? How do you season it??? etc.

Gravy is very simple.
For this kind of meat gravy (not white cream gravy) you start with COOL AusJus, or with some cold water, to which you can add the hot drippings later. dissolve some corn starch, I think about a heaping tablespoon per two cups of total liquid , into cool liquid. I believe some may also use part flour. Heat slowly and evenly while stirring until it just begins to bubble and thicken. If you started with water, you can then add the hot AusJus about halfway thru. Season very liberally with salt, some pepper, and if one really wishes, add just a bit of other seasonings. (Garlic with thanksgiving Turkey is a sin!!!) Remove from heat once it begins to bubble. Do not boil or over-cook. The gravy will continue to thicken a bit with a little time, as it cools.

PS: IMHO, added solids like egg or giblets are old-school, and one of those things that women used to do, that is not necessary, and has since been deemed a not-so-good thing from the past.

This may seem like an odd question, but what type of gravy do you serve/is served at your Thanksgiving celebration. I ask because for the past 15 years, I've gone to Thanksgiving dinner at my in-laws' houses. First my MIL's and now since her passing, my SIL's house. Brown(beef), store bought gravy is what we have. I hated it! It covered up the taste of the turkey, but truth be told, the turkey needed the moisture so I would use it. I'm not knocking it for being store bought, just that turkey gravy is available at the store as well. About 6 years ago, I offered to make the gravy from the pan drippings. Now we have both on the table. SIL's family sticks with the brown gravy (save for one niece), my family goes for the homemade turkey gravy. So out of curiosity...what's on your table?

haha My brother has an in-law that adds giblets and chopped egg....I don't get it, so I totally show up with my own.

I do strained drippings, (turkey cooked with s&p, poultry seasonings, and root veggies/airomatics inside) add chicken stock as needed for volume and to even out taste and thicken with cornstarch slurry (used to do flour slurry but SIL is gluten free and I'm allergic to wheat as of two years ago). Salt and Pepper to taste. Never had a complaint and get tons of compliments. Sometimes simple works out well.

Last edited:
How is the Trader Joe's gravy? I bought some this year but hesitate to use it because I haven't tried it before.
I don't know. We haven't tried it yet. I am going to open a carton Tuesday and taste test. If I don't like it, that gives me time to come up with Plan B. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter