your thoughts on death at six flags

here's the problem, from the latest news reports around here--I'm in the next town over--six flags will no longer allow overweight people on rides like this. I think that it would be wrong to have denied this man admission onto the ride for an attendant's perceptions of the man's limitations...but mordarsky was a grown man and he made the decision to get on--the attendant did not properly check to see that he was secured..that leaves six flags wide open for a lawsuit, and they should be--how many of us have gotten on a ride and buckled up only to have the attendant come over to check and actually tighten it more?? they are supposed to be the ones making sure that everything is fine before the ride starts--yes, we take risks when we choose to ride...and accidents will happen and if this was just an accident I would feel that no one was in the wrong and no one should be sued...but when you hire HS kids or others for minimum wage and place them in a position where they must oversee a situation where the possibility of death is real if something is not done properly--how can they (six flags) claim no fault?? as for banning all overweight people..I don't see this as the solution either--and I can see that decision will probably land them in court also---how hard can it be to make these rides so that everyone can enjoy them?? aren't we the nation of supersize fries and weight watchers?? :confused:

Originally posted by Schmeck
One note - if the poor man was only 5'2", but weighed 230 lbs, he was definitely overweight for his height - maybe his short stature, combined with his extra weight, was just in such a poor proportion that the restraint didn't fit properly?

Hopefully, all that will come of this horrible accident is that restraints will be designed to protect people of all shapes and sizes, and those of differing abilities will still be allowed to enjoy getting scared out of their minds if they choose to!

Schmeck, keeping this poor man's family in her thoughts tonight.
:confused:

If the restraint wasn't properly fastened, then it stands to reason that Six Flags is at fault- this man had probably ridden the coaster prior to the accident with no problems or at least felt he was making his decision to ride based on past experience with other coasters, esp. since it sounds like he was fairly independent. It doesn't matter whether a disabled or overweight person was riding if no one inspected the restraint system before the ride was engaged. There should have been a warning system in place to let a ride operator know that someone, somewhere, on that attraction wasn't safe.
I know when I board the busses at WDW that I always refuse the seat belt that goes around the waist and fastens around me due to it hitting me in the stomach where my PEG tube is inserted. This makes it more dangerous and uncomfortable for me than if the belt is fastened. I appreciate the bus driver's concern though ( and covering their own liability) over this issue. I've had a few call their supervisor's to get clearance before allowing this and noting that I do have my own seat belt. I also let them know I take full responsibility if anything happens to me due to my refusal of that one belt. At least there is concern for my safety.
Pumpkinboy said something that I feel is so true....there is much more "discomfort" in dealing with a disabled adult than with a disabled child, and I do wonder if that had any bearing on the actions of the ride attendant ( although that in no way changes his responsibility). This is an accident that never should have happened. It has nothing to do with this man's disability, but rather the lack of safety features in this ride and the lack of training or proper procedure by the ride attendant. How sad. ---Kathy

It doesn't matter whether a disabled or overweight person was riding if no one inspected the restraint system before the ride was engaged. There should have been a warning system in place to let a ride operator know that someone, somewhere, on that attraction wasn't safe.
This is a very good point that Kathy made.
If there was not a warning system, there should have been. Even if he was not disabled and not overweight, it is possible for the restraint system to not engage correctly and put someone at risk even if they are exactly the size and shape the restraint fits best.
If there was a warning system, was it operating and was it well designed (really obvious when it alarms, impossible to disable and keeps the ride from operating if it alarms)?

And pumpkin boy's comment about people being uncomfortable around adults with disabilities (especially developmental disabilities) is important too. We have noticed that when our youngest DD was little, she got a lot of postive attantion, mostly because she was cute. Now that she is older, she either get ignored or people interact with her on a very limited basis.

AmieeLynne, what I was trying to say was that I hoped overweight people would be accommodated in the future - taken in to consideration when rides are designed/redesigned, and that there wouldn't be a ride ban caused by this accident. I also hoped that disabled people wouldn't be banned as well. Sounds like Six Flags is planning on actually banning both. :(

I also do not like the policy of letting young employees be responsible for the safety of people on park rides. Most young people maintain an "invincible" attitude towards life, ie - they are immortal. No way are they going to think of a tragic accident happening on their shift!

I'm starting to wonder if the over the shoulder harnesses used on costers that go upside down, should be used on all costers regardless of track type. I've been on several costers at SF Great American (outside Chicago IL) that do not go upside down (namely, the Eagle, the Viper, and Raging Bull) and I personally would fell MUCH better with a harness than a lap bar. And I've been riding costers for 15 years!

However, the over the shoulder kind DO limit the size of the rider. Coster designers cannot make bigger seats, or they risk average or smaller people being too small for the restraint system. Designers try to find the best size to accomadate the most number of riders. This exludes people on the small and large end of the spectrum. This is why kids under a certain height are not allowed on rides, they are too small for the restraints.

I just went to SF Great America last saturday, and noticed lap seat belts (like the ones in the back seat of a car) on several rides that did not have them last year. These new belts are in addition to the existing restraint systems, one of which was an over the shoulder harness that, engaged properly, is impossilbe to be thrown from (this was on the Dejavoo) I wonder if this tragic accident had anything to do with the new seat belts.

Originally posted by BostonAnnual
A couple of thing about this bother me:

1) Why wasn't this man given more assisstance getting into this ride If he got on from a motorized scooter?

:mad:

At most amusement parks and I believe disney is inlcuded you must be able to load yourself or provide your own assistance to get on and off of rides. It is probably a liability issue that park employees are not able to assist, not to say that the park employee should not have given specific attention to making sure that this man was secured in properly.

The determining whether a person with a disability or a person who is overweight can ridde a particular attraction should probably be done on a case by case basis. And if necessary maybe waivers should be signed, perhaps by all guests.

On the news last week they had an interview with the woman who sat behind him. For the whole ride she was trying to keep him in his seat by holding him back by his pants. The last drop was apparently just too much and she couldn't keep him in.

This incident has definitely put amusement parks and other businesses somewhere between a rock and a hard place...

Yes, people with disabilities have fought for a very long time for access to attractions as much as possible... therefore, a park can be liable for denying someone who has a disability or is overweight access to a ride...

Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio has just announced new guidelines as a response to this incident. They will not let overweight people ride many of the major rides at the park. You don't have to be THAT overweight to not be able to ride-- the website says women size 18 are subject to not being able to ride. I saw a man on TV that I did not think was that large, who was not able to ride...Obviously, if someone is hurt, the park will be liable...

Now, people want a discounted ticket since they will not be able to ride all of the rides. I can't see them creating an "overweight ticket" or a "disability ticket"-- that in itself is discrimination!

I'm not sure what I would do in their situation!

We have had a similar accident here in Wales recently with a young girl who was at the other end of the spectrum - the official report has not yet been published. I think a large part of the problem is the quality of staff. Most of these theme parks employ people at the lowest possible rates and for long hours at peak times. Generally they are young and are in the job for the perks of getting to ride the coasters because the pay is so bad. They are not necessarily recruited for their awareness of health and safety. They are under immense pressure to work fast becuase of the increasing numbers at the parks on busy days and the length of the queues. They also have to work under public scrutiny and are subject to all sorts of abuse from the public who 'object' to being strapped down so tightly or who have complaints about how long they have had to wait. This does not excuse an individual for failing to do his/her job or the company for putting the public at risk but does perhaps explain how these things happen.

Sue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter