Your thoughts/opinions on Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Rail (MMRR)

Did you love Mickey and Minnies Runaway Rail?

• Loved it, it’s going to be a must every trip!

Votes: 56 47.5%
  • It was good, but don’t need to go on it on every trip.

Votes: 52 44.1%
  • Did not like it, or made me nauseous due to the screens

Votes: 10 8.5%

• Total voters
If the GMR never existed, I would give this ride a 7 on a scale of 1-10. But since it did exist & was replaced by this ride, it gets a 1. I know I shouldn't compare it to the GMR but I can't help it. It was an iconic ride that never should have been replaced. They could have changed/ updated the scenes in the ride instead of getting rid of it altogether. The pre-show area just made me even more sad it was gone. Also, the ride was very jerky in spots....I have a bad back & was a little concerned it was going to hurt it. And like another poster said, I don't even know what the ride was about there was so much going on. I also don't like the new animation style.

It's a communal lap bar for the 4 people in the row, so it was not tight at all. When it's lowered, just hold it up so nobody can overenthusiastically jam it down. I think it's more to keep people from jumping out than to hold them down.
So similar to the doom buggies bar?

Just saw a review about MMRR and they did not love it. Said there was an over-reliance on screens. Curious to find out what DISers think of it.
Just saw a review about MMRR and they did not love it. Said there was an over-reliance on screens. Curious to find out what DISers think of it.

The majority of trackless rides, to me, are no better than sitting down in a 4d movie. Actually, 4d movies may be more entertaining, because at least there’s the excitement of trying to hold my feet up so I don’t get tickled, or plugging the teeny tiny water hole in front of me the whole time so i don’t get spritzed in the face.

Growing up with so many fun interactive rides that heavily focused on real props and moving animatronics, trackless rides that rely primarily on screens seem lazy and cheap to me. I'm a girl in my 20’s that works in technology and ESports - I have screens at home and at work. I don't pay a ridiculous amount of money to leave my apartment and look at more screens. I like trackless rides that have lots of moving parts (I think ROTR is awesome and I think Hunny Hunt did alright as well), however, the Ratatouille ride in Paris is worse than watching the movie at home. I think I just miss the creativity of the rides I grew up with. It just feels like everything now is rushed and cutting corners. Can you even imagine if Disney spent the time, money, and energy making a new dinosaur ride with the animatronics they have now? Or another haunted mansion? They have universal beat when it comes to moving characters. Kids would grow up unsure if dinosaurs really are extinct and if ghosts are real.

Okay so here’s a big shocker - and don't hate me too much - but I don't mind them getting rid of the Great Movie Ride. I remember thinking it was the coolest thing when I was really little, crying during the Alien section, singing during the wizard of oz section. However, I have to admit before it was closed it really creeped me out. Looking back at old movies from when I was a baby and hearing music from the 50's gives me the shivers. I will always respect it, but it definitely needed an overhaul of some sort.

Overall, I’ll give credit where credit is due, Runaway Railway is very cute. However if i’m being completely honest, it kinda creeps me out too in a “Bendy and the Ink Machine” kind of way. I just really can't get behind the effort being put into these trackless rides. I expect so much more with today's technology than projectors and cardboard cutouts.

I guess I just miss when Disney made rides that took risks and ended up blowing everyone away.

You and the folks on your row lower the bar down. It hovers well above your waist like Little Mermaid and Peter Pan. There's not enough movement in the ride to justify a "tie down" lap bar.
It's a communal lap bar for the 4 people in the row, so it was not tight at all. When it's lowered, just hold it up so nobody can overenthusiastically jam it down. I think it's more to keep people from jumping out than to hold them down.

Thanks for the responses. Since all four people will probably be in our party, none of us will be jamming it down anyway.

By the way, from the advance word or hype, I got the impression that the ride would feel like you`re in a cartoon. Is that what it`s like?

I really enjoyed the ride. Good way to start the morning. I agree it’s definitely no RotR but still a good fun ride that I’m positive kids will love. For adults may be hit and miss.

I haven't physically had a ride yet - just watched several videos but I'll give my take. I LOVE Mickey Mouse so I'm very happy that Disney finally gave him an attraction. I think that DH and I will both love the ride. I just wish they could've updated GMR and then built this separately but I get it. I look forward to experiencing the new ride in October.

I guess I just miss when Disney made rides that took risks and ended up blowing everyone away.

While I haven't experienced the attraction yet (DLR here, lol). I think one of the issues simply may be that we, as a society, are now exposed to so much in terms of technical advancements, that as a whole, our view of what can "blow everyone away" has changed. When Star Tours was first revealed, it was a technical marvel that people went crazy for......but they also weren't privy to its journey from inception to completion.

These days, with social media & the internet, there's a level of hype & "behind the scene" insight that many times, might dilute whatever experience we might've had. "We know too much" now. What used to be impressive, isn't anymore....and it's partly our fault.

Imagine if there were experiences that we knew zip about....No previews, no behind the scenes video, or hype (or lack thereof)....simply a poster. Then a guest experiences the attraction for the first time.

I'm not sure if people can be blown away now because the bar & expectations have been set so high....not only from themed attractions, but just in general. This world of smartphones, smartwatches, VR experiences, etc. has changed things.

While I haven't experienced the attraction yet (DLR here, lol). I think one of the issues simply may be that we, as a society, are now exposed to so much in terms of technical advancements, that as a whole, our view of what can "blow everyone away" has changed. When Star Tours was first revealed, it was a technical marvel that people went crazy for......but they also weren't privy to its journey from inception to completion.

These days, with social media & the internet, there's a level of hype & "behind the scene" insight that many times, might dilute whatever experience we might've had. "We know too much" now. What used to be impressive, isn't anymore....and it's partly our fault.

Imagine if there were experiences that we knew zip about....No previews, no behind the scenes video, or hype (or lack thereof)....simply a poster. Then a guest experiences the attraction for the first time.

I'm not sure if people can be blown away now because the bar & expectations have been set so high....not only from themed attractions, but just in general. This world of smartphones, smartwatches, VR experiences, etc. has changed things.

I always avoid spoiler videos, and always go in with tempered expectations for my first ride through. I usually think "I hope I`ll like it" and that`s about it.

I don't think this is the case at all and I heavily disagree.

I think that advancements in technology open up opportunities for more creative rides. Every year we see these new advancements at IAAPA. It's the parks choice whether or not they want to take advantage of new technologies or whether they want to stick with whats comfortable (and cheap). Furthermore, Disney has had rides in the past with far less technology AND far more excitement (think Alien Encounter). Even the Great Movie Ride had live actors with action scenes, switching throughout the ride to keep riders engaged.
Another example of this is the walk-through attraction Poseidon's Fury at Universal that was opened in 1999. People either love it or hate it, however no one can deny that the special effects are really neat. Especially the giant water tunnel.
If a giant water tunnel existed in 1999, Disney has all the resources they need to create a coaster completely surrounded in water tunnels today. In fact, the same company that created said water tunnel, Technifex, has tons of special effect features in which parks can choose from. There's fountains, water tunnels, flooding effects, water blasts, even an overhead water maze that can change configuration as riders travel underneath it. And these are just the water effects. There are so many options, but Disney is choosing to ignore all of that and stick with projectors.

And think about the giant King Kong animatronic from Kongfrontation that opened sometime in the 90's. Animatronics have improved dramatically since then. It's more than possible to create a bigger, better, and super realistic gigantic monkey (or anything for that matter) for a ride today.

On top of this, compare the technology of MMRR to Tokyo Disneysea's Journey to the Center of the Earth Ride, or their 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride. These give me that "wow" factor that I'm expecting from a Disney ride. And they both opened 19 years ago! Sure, these rides aren't as "family friendly", but I'm focusing solely on technology, not themes.

Let me clarify that I do think that trackless dark rides have potential - ROTR has that larger than life feel and experience that I expect and get excited for when I think about Disney rides. It just seems like a lot of others have been so disappointing and bare.

I don't think our expectations are too high, I think we expect parks to keep up. Especially with Disney who owns everything has been known in the past for always holding themselves to extremely high quality assurance standards. I love Disney, I just wish they would put forth one little spark of effort and creativity with their rides lately because theme parks are my favorite thing and I'm ridiculously excited for their potential. But right now, quite frankly, I'm bored.

That is not how I make a determination.
Regardless of what kind of discussion has happened regarding the ride,
what I look for is whether it is a good experience based on the ride design factoring the current level of available technology.

-Even the Great Movie Ride had live actors with action scenes, switching throughout the ride to keep riders engaged...
Let me clarify that I do think that trackless dark rides have potential - ROTR has that larger than life feel and experience that I expect and get excited for when I think about Disney rides. It just seems like a lot of others have been so disappointing and bare.
Yes.
To close THE iconic dark ride from Disney-MGM Studios, I would then hope to see a NEW top-tier dark attraction to replace it that was a "must-do crowd-pleaser" with outstanding storytelling and state-of-the-art emotional connections to guests.
What we got, sadly, is just "cute" (on a large scale) but, nothing to really take away.

Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
Splash Mountain
Tower of Terror
Flights of Passage
even Mickey's Philharmagic
are just a few of Disney's masterpieces.
Now, Rise of the Resistance has set a new standard for immersive (even emotional) attractions.

Sadly, to me...
Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is not a part of that list.

Rode it twice today
1st time I thought it was almost the best thing ever!!!
2nd time it lacked the surprise factor BUT it is still an awesome-unique ride. Definitely a sneak peak of what Ratatouille will be like for sure!

BTW - wait time was listed as 120 mins. We were on 55!!!

It’s in a park where there is already some thrill rides and awesome rides. This ride didn’t need to be amazing and a 10. Just a fun ride to hit every now and then. Not everything has to be a must ride.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but would have loved it more had my seat mate not been asking me a bazillion questions the entire ride! Turns out, we were from the same state & her kids live in my city! That was a cool coincidence, but definitely took away concentration from the ride. I am not a fan of the new animation style, but still appreciated the uniqueness of the ride. It was fun!

It’s in a park where there is already some thrill rides and awesome rides. This ride didn’t need to be amazing and a 10. Just a fun ride to hit every now and then. Not everything has to be a must ride.

With that logic Disney would never have to make anything amazing ever again because you're right - they do already have awesome rides. However, most of those rides are getting old and if they're going to replace a classic I believe they should replace it with something better or at least something creative. I don't think people should have to lower their standards when tickets cost $110 for one park for one day.

I always avoid spoiler videos, and always go in with tempered expectations for my first ride through. I usually think "I hope I`ll like it" and that`s about it.
Same here. I do this for everything though, rides, resorts, restaurants. I experience for myself sight and review unseen so my opinion is never clouded by someone else's.
There's lot to be said for a ride that is fun for all ages. This one fits that well

With that logic Disney would never have to make anything amazing ever again because you're right - they do already have awesome rides. However, most of those rides are getting old and if they're going to replace a classic I believe they should replace it with something better or at least something creative. I don't think people should have to lower their standards when tickets cost $110 for one park for one day.
Just because you don't think it's better or creative doesn't mean it's not. No ride will ever please everyone or fill everyone's definition of "better and creative". I've even found one poster that didn't come away impressed with RotR. I commented that it was proof no ride is ever for everyone. It's ok that we all don't love it. There are rides I don't love but I don't say they are bad rides. They are rides I don't like. That is VERY different.

Rode it opening day. Here are my thoughts without spoilers:

The pre-show is an integral part of the story and really makes you feel like you're part of the adventure.

The song is wonderful and definitely adds to the story line.

The sets are just so bright and vibrant. There is a lot of dynamics at play that the re-riding value is very high. I couldn't capture much on only one ride and am already looking forward to our next trip.

The use of projections are incredibly well done. The Imagineers have stepped up from previous projection technology using combined set changes really created a unique experience.

Since you are asking for opinions, I feel this is the best attraction ever created by Disney (haven't ridden RotR yet). It's location is more than appropriate and the music, technology and ride vehicle perfectly blend together for a family adventure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter