• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Your Top 10 Must Do's

Mr Ed

Mouseketeer
Hi, Our family( kids 7 & 4) are making our 1st visit to WDW 12 Dec-26 Dec.
Any tips would be useful. Give me your top ten must do's, please...

Thanks
Mr Ed. :bounce: :bounce:

OK Mr. Ed, I'm no expert having only been to WDW twice my whole life But I'll give it a shot. These are not in order of most to less favorite, just 10 must do's for our upcoming trip (Feb. 2002) (my DD is 9 and DS is 6)

1. Fantasmic (missed last time)
2. Test Track (not open last time)
3. Watching the MK fireworks in Fantasy land
4. Swimming (kids) , drinking a cold beer while watching kids swim (DH and I)
5. Riding the whole monorail loop
6. eat raised glazed donut with chocolate frosting (DD calls it the Disney Donut)
7. Rock and Rollercoaster (missed last time)
8. Kid's Pirate's Treasure Hunt... parents get 2 free hours!
9. People watching from our BWI balcony ( we have a thing for balconies no matter where we go)
10. Watching my kid's interact with the characters, sometimes it is so magical I cry!

We've only been to WDW as a family once, but it was so enchanting that we immediately started planning a return trip for shortly before our DD's 4th birthday next year. I've heard that Disney is even more magical during the Christmas season, so you've picked an excellent time to be there. Hope that you have a wonderful trip! Here's our Top Ten Must Do's (in no particular order)...

1. Dinner at Chef Mickey's (our traditional first taste of Disney upon arriving in the World)
2. Watching the Fantasy in the Sky fireworks in front of the castle...don't miss Tinkerbelle's flight!
3. Dining in Cinderella's Castle--the perfect fairy tale
4. Sitting on the curb in Main Street, watching the afternoon parade with the Castle in the background
5. Tapestry of Nations (now called Tapestry of Dreams) Parade at Epcot followed by Illuminations. The music is excellent!
6. Watching our daughter discover and play with the lights in the sidwalk by Innoventions
7. Watching the fountains dance to the music at Epcot
8. Playing in the fountains at Ariel's Grotto in Fantasyland
9. Bouncing along with Tigger during Pooh's ride
10. Bear in the Big Blue House (now Playhouse Disney) show at MGM. Seeing my daughter's face light up when she realized it was really THE Bear was priceless!

We just returned in October with our DD (8) & twin DSs (3 1/2). These are some highlights in no order:

1) Since you are visiting at Xmas I would check out as many resort decorations as possible! They are all different and unique!
2) At least one character meal
3) Eating in the castle with the princesses
4) Riding the 3 mountains (space, big thunder, and splash)
5) Hang out a night at the BW (face painting, performers, hair wrapping, surrey bikes)
6) Go on the AK safari
7) Enjoy the fireworks and/or fantasmic
8) SWIM if the weather allows
9) Rockin Roll coaster
10) Try something NOT on your schedule or plan!

I won't give you a list of the top ten, because every family likes different things. But, since you will be there for such an extended period of time, here are some things many people don't know about or think about:
1. If you get a fairly warm day or two, go to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. There is plenty for a family to do, even with young kids. Especially the Curious George play area at USF. We had a two- and four-year-old with us in May and both of them loved this. But so did my DS (9) and DD (11). ET is a great ride for kids, as are all the rides in Seuss Landing at IOA.
2. Take the kids to Fort Wilderness for the pony rides.
3. Rent the mini speedboats at either CR or Poly and go for a spin on 7 Seas Lagoon. The view of MK from here is fabulous.
4. Eat lunch at Rainforest Cafe in DD and ask to be seated in the Elephant room. The kids love it when the animals all come to life.
5. Take at least 2-3 hours per day off from the parks for mid-day naps/swimming. This recharge time will keep you going.
6. Plan one night to get a Disney sitter and take the wife to Pleasure Island. Definitely spend some time in the Adventurers Club!

Hpe you have a great trip!

We're just back (boohoo) from 9 days with DD 7 and 4. If you have boys, some things may be different, but the big hits were:

1. The pool at the hotel
2. Splash Mountain
3. The Wonderland Tea Party
4. Meeting Characters
5. BTMRR
6. Star Tours
7. The Boneyard at AK
8. Playhouse Disney Live
9. Ice Station Cool
10. Dumbo

They tended not to like dark rides, so even though they loved BTMRR, they didn't like Space Mountain

ONE THING NOT MENTIONED IN THE PREVIOUS RESPONSES THAT TRULY MADE OUR TRIP MAGICAL WAS THE FAMILY MAGIC TOUR AT MK. MY TWO KIDS, AGES 5 AND 7, WERE TOTALLY SWEPT UP IN SAVING THE CHARACTERS FROM BEING TURNED INTO VILLIANS BY HOOK. OUR CM, REGINA, TOOK US ON A JOURNEY THROUGHOUT ALL OF THE LANDS IN SEARCH OF THE HOOK HIDDEN BY PETER PAN. IN THE END, ALADDIN CAME OUT TO HELP US FIND IT AND THEN TOOK US ON THE FLIGHT OF PETER PAN. WE GOT TO CUT THE 35 MIN LINE AND ACTUALLY RIDE WITH ALADDIN. THE KIDS FELT LIKE ROYALTY BECAUSE WHILE ALADDIN WAS WITH US, HE WOULD NOT SIGN AUTOGRAPHS BECAUSE HE WAS DEVOTING ALL OF HIS ATTENTION TO MY KIDS. THIS IS A MUST DO FOR ANY AGE!!!

we went in Feb. 2001--my dh, 2 ds (10 and 8), and 8 other family members:

1-lunch at SciFi diner--such a unique experience
2-rock'n roller coaster
3-character meal
4-eating French Fries at Cafe d'France
5-test track
6-lion King show--we missed it, and heard it's excellent
7-dinosuar ride at AK
8-having balloons and autograph books waiting in our room for our sons
9-parades at MK, MGM and EPCOT--somehow we managed to miss ALL of them

10-e-night! definitely worth it, just to see the park at night, without a crowd. (but I think they're not doing that anymore?)

:) Thank you ALL, Very much for the excellent tips and ideas.

Can't wait for 12/12!! :D

Pony rides over at the Fort Wildreness Campgrounds! Weight limit is 75 lbs (I think) and the cost is $3 per person. There is also a petting zoo which is free. Have lunch at the Trails End Buffet.

Not necessarily in this order....

1. Test Track
2. Beauty and the Beast show
3. RockNRoller Coaster
4. Voyage of the Little Mermaid
5. Tough to be a Bug
6. Pirates of Caribbean
7. Small World
8. Space Mountain
9. Legend of the Lion King
10.Fantasmic
11.MSEP (or Spectromagic)
12.Illuminations

(Sorry, I just can't narrow it to 10. 12 was hard enough!!)
Also, must do some character meet & greet -- in the parks or character meal.

:bounce: :pinkbounc :earsboy:

I know you've got plenty of recommendations already, but I'll go ahead and put my 2 cents in...:D

1- All Parades and fireworks shows, including Fantasmic. I'll qualify this by saying I have not seen the new parades, but Tapestry of Nations was great, with awesome music. Fantasmic is a big must see. If you can, do a dinner package so you don't have to wait as long for the show.

2- World Showcase at Epcot, including the boat rides in Mexico and Norway, and The American Adventure.

3- Rock n Roller Coaster, Dinosaur, The three Mountains at MK, and Tower of Terror. (Assuming your children are up for these).

4- Peter Pan's Flight.

5- As I'm making this list, I'm realizing that just about everything is awesome to us, so you pretty much can't miss!

Take some time to walk down Main Street at MK, both at day and at night. Listen to the music playing throughout the parks. Look at the lights in various areas, which should be great at Christmas time.

Just let it soak in...

Disnee Dad Says.......................................................... Buy AP's. You can tour in the mornings and leave whenever it gets too crowded. Hit it hard early in your trip as it will get very crowded toward the end. I'm trying to think like a four year old, which isn't that hard so here goes.
1.Dumbo
2.IT's A small world
3.Test TRack
4. Rock and Roller Coaster, seven year old has to have some fun too!!
5. Splash Mountain
6. Osborne Lights
7. Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks
8. Triceratop Spin, opens next week at AK, was running but not open to public yet.
9. Swimming at the pool
10. Character meals

Maybe you should ask for the top ten at each park, and ten away from the parks!!!

One thing you should not miss is a monorail ride in the front car. If you ask the attendant at the monorail station very nicely, they may let you ride in the front with the engineer. It is a fantastic view! when we went, the engineer was very nice and explained to my son (5 at the time) how everything worked. Very cool!

Our last trip our kids were 8, 5, and 2.5. (2 dd, 1 ds) Here is what my 8 yo said were the top 10 things to do (she's 9 now)

1. RnR
2. The Mountains and Goofy's Barnstormer
3. Aladdin's new ride
4. BLSA
5. Meeting Characters (Princesses especially)
6. The ride at the Mexico Pavillion in Epcot
7. Parade at Epcot
8. Eating Icecream Mickeys
9. Go seeing the hippos at AK (she has a fascination for them)
10. Go shopping for clothes (what can I say? She's a woman in training!)

:earsgirl:

1.FANTASMIC!
2.Mickey's Backyard BBQ
3.Rock-n-Rollercoaster
4.Magic Carpets of Aladdin
5.Kilimanjaro Safari
6.Breakfast in Castle
7.Buzz Lightyear ride
8.Relax at resort pool
9.Enjoy shopping at Downtown Disney
10.Take time to absorb the atmosphere!

Went in Sept/Oct with my 9 mo old and 4 year old. Can't wait for our next trip!!

The top of my list of must do's are:

1) Fantasmic (be sure to get the dinner package). This is the best show ever!
2) Spectromagic parade at night - a must!
3) At Christmas time, hop on the monorail and hang out in the Grand Floridian Hotel lobby. The live entertainment and declorations are awesome!
4) See the new 100 years celebration Walt Disney exhibit at MGM studios.
5) Don't miss the Share a Dream Come True daytime parade at MK. Matter of fact, be sure to see ALL the parades.

Have a lot of fun!

King Triton

10. Break our previous record for ToT
9. Enjoy a character meal.
8. Buy a christmas ornament as souvenir of trip.
7. E-ride night.
6. Eat at San Angel (romantic) and Prime time cafe (fun)
5. Family photo in front of Cinderella's castle.
4. Ride in the front car of the Monorail with the conductor. (just ask)
3. Fireworks in MK
2. Carosel of progress. DH and my absolute #1 favorite attraction!!!!!!!!
1. And the #1 must do at WDW- DH's World Showcase Beer Tour. Takes the whole afternoon. We meander around the world and DH has a beer in every country!! :jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter