Your Top 5 Disney Collectibles

consultant

Mouseketeer
I'm curious what people would say are the top 5 Disney Collectibles that you have knowledge of. I'm actually interested in your two "Top 5" lists. One would be Disney Collectibles in general and the second list would be Disneyland Collectibles. Please try to make your list fairly realistic. You can throw in maybe one "crazy" item like the solid gold Mickey Mouse, but otherwise try to keep it to things within the realm of possibility for people that aren't Millionaires. I'm sort of new to all this put I'll take a stab as far as things I've run across (or own.) Note, you can go beyond 5 items if you want and they DON'T have to be things you own. I guess I should probably say 'Modern' collectibles, not stuff like the first admission ticket. I don't want to constrain people too much though. Just stuff within reason. When I say top I mean stuff that will most likely have the highest demand as the years go by with good appreciation potential.

Disney Collectibles

1. Original Disney animation cels (one of a kind) from the more successful features animation releases (Snow Whaite, Peter Pan, Fantasia, etc.)
4. Walt Disney Classic Collections figurines
5. Items signed by Walt Disney (letters, checks)

Disneyland

1. Olszewski Disneyland attraction/building miniatures (first day release, hand signed)
2. 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Merchandise (Kinkade Giclee Artist or Galler proof seems to be one of the more expensive items.)
3. Haunted Mansion & Pirates of the Caribbean Limited Edition Merchandise

These are all pretty general categories.

Help me fill in the blanks or redesign my list all together!

I should clarify, pin collecting is conspicously absent from my list. I'm not into it, too many pins too choose from. But I know there are probably some very rare and valuable ones plus it is an easy collectible to get into because you can amass a large collection for relatively little money compared to other collectibles. But that's sort of why I left it off the list.

I'd consider adding the Walt Disney Treasures DVDs just for pure enjoyment. But I don't see a huge appreciation potential there since the format will go the way of VHS tapes in another few years.

Getting more specific on the Haunted Mansion stuff, people seem to go GaGa over anything limited to do with Nightmare Before Christmas HM Merchandise.

Your question is a good one, however I disagree with your statement about pin trading (obviously). Serious pin traders know that a good and rare pin can bring just as much or more than an animation cell in many cases. In all honesty, I think that the answer to your question would depend on everyone's taste and priorities, so there is no real way to answer it. Highly thought provoking, though. :goodvibes

Your question is a good one, however I disagree with your statement about pin trading (obviously). Serious pin traders know that a good and rare pin can bring just as much or more than an animation cell in many cases. In all honesty, I think that the answer to your question would depend on everyone's taste and priorities, so there is no real way to answer it. Highly thought provoking, though. :goodvibes

Succinctly put! Your reasons are why I haven't responded.

I do not have any items that I guess would be rare enough to list. I do collect some pins and have all of the Disney Antenna Toppers that I know of and some of them are rare and hard to find so here is just a general list.

1. 5 year Disney service Antenna Topper :thumbsup2
2. 2004 Holiday Party CM Antenna Topper
3. WDW Epcot Sign from 2000, from the poles in the park.
4. INCUT sheet of Indiana Jones Trading Cards from Disneyland
5. "Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer" Contestant pin, DCL

These are jujst a few of my faves. I wish I could afford the animation cells. But my wife would like me to be more responsible when it comes to spending money, so Disney antenna toppers are about all I can afford.

JJ

A collection may mean different things for different people as demonstrated in the above posts. What thrills one collector does nothing for another. Collections are as different as people.......they come in all shapes and sizes.

People have to collect what they like whether it's pins or figurines, dolls, cars, antenna toppers or beanie babies there is no one type of collection that is better than any other.

Part of collecting is the thrill of the hunt. One of my collections is vintage Disneyland items so the hunt is always on for me. Some of it is really old and in not pristine shape and would look like junk to some people. :scared1: The important thing to me is I get enjoyment out of my collections. I love looking at my pieces and I have everything out on display.

I do have a few cels, but will most likely never own a Walt Disney signature or one of a kind cels. Too rich for me and you know what....it doesn't bother me that I won't ever get them. Just have fun with your collection.

I collect:

Snow White and Eeyore pins ONLY from Disneyland Resort and any pins that talk to me or catch my eye.

Eeyore plushies.

I've recently bought some pins so I'm not down on pin collecting. In fact it is quite interesting to go on E-bay and look at closed auctions sorted from high to low price. I saw a few pins go for over $500!

Oh and when I was referring to cels, I was referring to actual production cels used in the making of the movie. It is not uncommon for some of them to sell for $20,000 or more. The next step down is the limited edition reproduction cels which are replicas of the original cels. I think that's what most people think of when you refer to cels. They are much less expensive.

Well maybe I should have put it like this:

Suppose you are just starting out as a Disney collector and you've got $5,000 to spend on Disney collectibles (excluding Disneyland/attraction collectibles) and you've got $5,000 to spend on Disneyland/attraction collectibles.

Your objective is two-fold: to buy things that interest you AND that you think have a good chance of going up in value.

What would you buy?

I think everyone understood the question, but as stated earlier, the answer is different for everyone. I collect Fantasia, Maleficent, Figment, and Mary Poppins. Some of my treasures are:
1. a Figment framed set of 4 pins LE 25 valued over $1000.
2. a LE 500 cel of Mary and Burt with the penguin waiters signed by Julie Andrew and Dick Van D*** (some stupid reason prevents me from spelling his name) up there in value
3. a LE framed pin set of 6 Mary Poppins pins with the front page of the score to Jolly Holiday.
4. A LE copy of the snowglobe used during the "Feed the Birds"
5. A sericel from the Dance of the Hours segment of Fantasia (approx. $3,500)

But while they are valuable to me, if someone likes Little Mermaid, and Snow White, then they could care less.

People that don't collect snowglobes wouldn't care about #4, but those who do would drool over it.

I think everyone understood the question, but as stated earlier, the answer is different for everyone. I collect Fantasia, Maleficent, Figment, and Mary Poppins. Some of my treasures are:
1. a Figment framed set of 4 pins LE 25 valued over $1000.
2. a LE 500 cel of Mary and Burt with the penguin waiters signed by Julie Andrew and Dick Van D*** (some stupid reason prevents me from spelling his name) up there in value
3. a LE framed pin set of 6 Mary Poppins pins with the front page of the score to Jolly Holiday.
5. A sericel from the Dance of the Hours segment of Fantasia (approx. $3,500)

But while they are valuable to me, if someone likes Little Mermaid, and Snow White, then they could care less.

People that don't collect snowglobes wouldn't care about #4, but those who do would drool over it.

I don't really collect snowglobes (although somehow I have managed to accumulate quite a few -LOL) but I would drool over your copy of the snowglobe used during the "Feed the Birds" portion of Mary Poppins. Feed the Birds was Walt's favorite song (according to the Sherman Brothers).

Suzi

daber said:
1. a Figment framed set of 4 pins LE 25 valued over $1000. /QUOTE]

You are a very fortunate <Figment> pin collector. My most prized pin collectibles are:

1. Musical Figment framed set (I love it)
2. Framed Figment set from last year's pin event
3. Rainbow Figment Completer Pin - because my kids gave it to me, it was my first pin, and it got me hooked!
4. My Eeyore proof pin from last year's auction (Wife to me: you paid how much for one pin)

Get the tissues.......I'm drooling!!!

I don't collect snow globes per se but that scene is one of my favorites from Mary Poppins.

Now Dave......where is PA did you say you lived??? pirate: :rolleyes1

Disney collectibles:
1. Swarovski Mickey and Minnie Mouse. I received those for Christmas/ New Year
2. A Mickey book, that I will receive for my Birthday this year. It's an expensive book, but everyone at home will put money together for it!
3. A painting from Mickey as Sorcerer's apprentice (I think it's called summoning the stars). I need to get a serious raise if I ever want to buy it.
4. A painting of the Beast's castle. I think it's still sold on the Disneystore website.
5. The WDCC Maelstrom figurine. I really need that raise...

Disneyland collectibles (extended to Disneyland Paris):
1. Partners statue. I have one. And LOVE it!
2. Olszewski Jungle Cruise. Jungle Cruise is my alltime favourite ride (see my tag) and I would just love to have this piece; One of these days, I'm buying it on eBay :)
3. I wish they had a miniature Disneyland Paris castle figurine, like the Olszewski ones... I keep on dreaming
4. Olszewski Main Street station with train
5. Olszewski Disneyland castle.

I want to be a collector but I have Diamond taste and a Garnet Budget...so I collect pins, snowglobes(4 so far) and poster art...gonna run out of walls soon if I ever get everything framed!! but its sure a joy!...oh I forgot I now have 3 figurines as well! so top five:
1. Store Size figurine of Cheshire ( has eyes and mouth that stay lit in the dark)
2. Alice in Wonderland Snowglobe
3.Mickey Poster of him drawing himself looking in the mirror and drawing Walt
4.pin notebook with my budding pin collection (around 60 so far)
5.toss up between my Mickey as cupid or Nightmare Before Christmas Figurines

1) 21 framed vintage Disney record albums dating back to 1955

2) Photo copy of the copyright for "Mickey Mouse"--1929/1930

3) Autographed photo of Tinkerbell / Margaret Kerry

4) Thomas Kinkade Disneyland print

5) Shadowbox framed pin collection

These are the things that make me :)

Doesn't anyone collect salt and pepper shakers. They are not as small as pins but don't take up too much room. I have characters and park ones.

I am not into snowglobes but my sons' gave me a villan one for Mother's Day. These are my favorite characters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter