• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Your Worst Customer Service Experience

OMG I've had a few that are doozies. First of all, I won't go into Macy's again if they are giving things away. Years ago, DH bought be perfume at a Macy's by his office. I did not care for it, so I went to return it to the store by my office. It was unopened and I had the receipt. The sales clerk would not do the return. :scared1: WTH? She was adament that it had to be returned to the store that it was purchased from. My DH then had to take it back to the Macy's he got it from. Have never heard of such a thing in my life.

A few years ago we were in Home Depot. We had just completed an addition to our home and were doing the final touches. We were purchasing the wired shelving for closets there and needed it cut to length. After searching for 10 minutes, I finally found an employee and asked if he would cut it for us. "Sure, I'll be right there" was his response. I then watched the guy go to the employee lunchroom, clock out , and leave! :scared1: I just looked at my DH and broke out laughing. Could not believe what we had witnessed. No wonder they are having financial issues.

When DS was 2 1/2 and DD was 6 months, I needed to get her a winter jacket. After shopping at several different stores, we ended up at JC Penney. Found what I needed and went to go pay for it. At this point, the kids were getting hungry and tired. I knew I was in a precarious situation. My DS spotted a video and wanted it. He blew a gasket when I said "No, go put it back". The old biddy of a saleslady then proceeds to tell me I should just pick my DS up and spank him. That she raised 4 boys and spanked them all. I just looked at her in astonishment and told her to process my sale quickly so I could leave to feed them. I got to hear her rant the rest of the time she was doing the sale. Yes, I went home and called the store manager and relayed the incident. I got an apology and was told she would be spoken to.

Fast forward 3 years. We're back at JC Penney 'cause they're having a huge sale. I go to the childrens department and start loading up on clothes. I must have have 2-300 dollars worth of clothes. (Kids needed new everything!) I knew my DD was by the register looking at all the pretty hair ribbons. Well, all of a sudden I hear this screaching ol' biddy yelling at my DD. Yep, it's the same salesperson. She was upset that my DD was looking and touching the ribbons. I just looked at her, put down my armload of clothes, told her that was my DD who was not doing anything wrong, and told her she could spend the rest of the afternoon putting those clothes back. Again, another call to the manager. Next time I saw this salesperson, she was working in lamps! :dance3:

When will these people realize that if they want to have a job, they need to be nice to the customer. No customer, no job!

Please keep posting, I'm enjoying reading them.

Leigh

Glad I found this thread! I've worked retail on and off for 10 years and always enjoyed it! If I weren't a teacher, I'd love to have a store somewhere! Anyhow....I had one happen to me today.

We're going to Palm Coast, FL next week and I want a nice swimsuit for the trip, not a $10 special from K-Mart. So I load up DS 2 1/2 and we head to the local s'suit boutique. I'd packed books and toys to keep him occupied. He does fine while I'm looking (except to disturb the sunglasses which the saleslady didn't like) and I found easily ten suits I wanted to try on. We go back into their dressing rooms and I begin the arduous task.

NOT ONCE did one of the four people working offer to help me. I needed new sizes, had questions about different styles, etc....NOT ONCE was I acknowledged! DS got impatient and surly while I was struggling to get through my pile and began a meltdown just as I finally found one I liked.

However, I decided not to buy it on the principle that a store that doesn't acknowledge my prescence doesn't need my $150!

I am a breast cancer survivor. Shortly after having surgery, I went into a Kohl's to purchase a "housecoat," something with a zipper so it would be easier for me to get on and off. The one I wanted was hung on a rack up on a wall, all the way up at the top. I found a salesperson in lingerie and asked her if she would assist me in getting it down. She reluctantly followed me to where the item was and then sighed heavily. I looked at her and said, "I would have tried to use the pole to get it myself..." I did not want to go into detail about why I couldn't...well she looks me up and down (she was an older woman) and says, "well that's what the pole is there for, you could have done it yourself." Hmm. I said, "Well, I am not supposed to raise my arms over my head, I just had breast surgery." Her response was, "Well, I just had back surgery, so don't tell me your sob story." I was FLOORED. She did get the housecoat down for me. Perhaps she thought I went in to have a b**b job? And would it really matter what type of surgery it was? This is NOT how you deal with customers.

I immediately found a manager and told her about the exchange and how I had BREAST CANCER and breast surgery and how offensive this woman was and how she obviously did not like her job, etc. The manager was extremely apologetic and gave me a 15% off coupon to use anytime. I told her that I didn't care about the discount but that I preferred that the employee be inserviced and taught the true meaning of "customer service."

SO RUDE AND SO SHAMELESS!:sad2:

Really, is that how people sell houses? Instead of finding them something that will meet their needs/wants, you speak to them in condescending tones, insult their parenting, tell them they live wrong and try to push them into what is available? Does that work on most people?

Well, it can work on selling cars! Hubby was trained to sell cars; he dealt with it for about a week and quit, he couldn't handle selling them the way that dealership wanted him to do so. There are many people who WILL respond to be treated that way. It makes them want to "prove" themselves to the salesperson, that they are good enough to buy this item (Chanel bag? house, car, whatever), that they could do it, that they have the money, they have the credit, etc.

Speaking of that, our awful story was while trying to buy a Rondo from a big Kia dealership over an hour away from our home.

Hubby had seen an amazing deal in the paper, and called to confirm that that car was being sold, and let them know that we would be in on x evening after he was done with work. Meanwhile, I checked online for the specs; we remain hopeful about more children, and wanted to get a 7 seater, so I priced that out, various packages, and so on. Their site said they had ONE of them, and had a really great price listed there.

We got up there on the day, and made the enormous mistake of leaving DH's car there while we took a test drive. They had ample opportunity to check it out (it was in sorry shape). When we got back, their "we'll take anything as trade-in for x amount" had drastically changed.

While we were in there, they did a mind-game thing that made me think I was crazy for thinking they had a 7 seater in there, even though I had the print-out in my hand.

Hubby also used to work for a company that does the dealership websites and support for most big car manufacturers, and he knows the ins and outs, and could see the problems they were creating on their website and reality. I ended up VERY confused, and they absolutely denied that they had anything to do with their website (each dealership runs their own site, so that was a total lie).

They demanded hubby's driver's license, which is understandable during a test drive, but wouldn't give it back. Hubby kept trying to tell them what our total amount was, and what our monthly amount could be, and the guy who had agreed that was possible on the phone (hubby even gave them a head's up on his credit so he wasn't giving us info based on a stellar credit report) DOUBLED the amount.

The guy was 1000s over what it said on their website, and what it said on Kia's website. Not just on monthly payment, but total. It was ridiculous. And then he started berating Dh for not wanting what they were offering, even though it was NOT what we wanted. We wanted a 7 seater Rondo, NOT a minivan, and the guy wouldn't drop the minivan.

Meanwhile, it's getting later and later, our son is getting wilder b/c we didn't htink it would take that long and hadn't eaten, and I'm getting angrier and angrier.

I remember my mom and stepdad telling me about buying a car once; they wouldn't "let" them leave, but at least they ordered in pizza and gave them drinks while waiting! These guys did nothing, and dind't seem to care that they had a 3 year old losing it in their dealership.

I finally had enough; hubby was trying to work with the guy, trying to talk reason with them, and I could see it wasn't going to happen. I made sure DS was safe in a circle of chairs and went over to where they were sitting, told them that the conversation was over and that we needed to get the DL back and we needed to go. They REFUSED! I ended up having to use my low and loud dog training voice to convince them I was serious about the driver's license, and that they were NOT to run our credit (I actually started telling them that as soon as we got back from the testdrive, b/c they kept wanting to run it when they hadn't even told us what the total of the car would be!!!!!) and that if we found out they had, despite not giving them permission, there would be heck to pay.

We left there shaking, it was awful.

...they forward it to the manager (I assume to 'fix' things) who sent me a letter and told me "Prehaps Ms. Sabo, you should just cook your burgers at home from now on."

:eek: :sad2: :sad1:

And I thought the comment I got from the airline security lady was bad. I was carrying-onboard a bag containing all of my mom's jewelry, b/c she had just died and my stepdad was being weird about getting rid of everything quickly. I wasn't going to check it, but it was a fine size to carry on, if a bit bigger than I normally carry on. This was before 9/11, but a ton of jewelry in a bag causes weirdness in the xray machine.

The lady asked me what it was, I showed her, and said that I had "inherited my mom's jewelry". She said "oh, congratulations!" :scared:

I repeated that I had inherited it from my mom, and then she realized what I was saying and apologized.

But that was just an unthinking mistake. That Fuddrucker's thing, that was just horrid!

Specifically when you hand them money, isn't it an automatic response when someone hands you something to say thank you? I hand them money, they say nothing, they hand me back change, I say thank you. Manners? If they don't say "thank you" then, they are not going to say "Thanks for shopping here" that's a given. Just a sign of poor manners/upbringing. If your working with public, you should have some social skills.

Hmm. Saying "thank you" was never my response when someone paid me for things they were buying.

My WORST experience, however, was as the CS rep trying really hard to help a customer who was being an enormous PITA.

It was either late Fall or even Winter. I was working at Amazon, and had gotten into a specialized customer service job dealing with Electronics and Tools. That meant we didn't always deal with the normal shippers; many big items go by specialty shippers which cost MUCH more, took quite a bit longer, and you had to pay for them to bring it up your driveway, let alone put it in your house. That was fine for the contractors buying $5000 table saws, but it got a bit confusing with some of the big toys that got shunted over to us (like the OP's kiddie Mustang probably would have been).

A woman had ordered her son's *birthday* gift, a car like that, only a few days before his birthday. Why she ordered it so late I will never know. She was FLIPPING OUT because it was supposed to be delivered per the UPS website, but it hadn't been and there was nothing updated on the tracking info.

While helping her, I noticed that this item was *supposed to be* sent out by specialty shipper; more UPS driver than one had realized the size was too large, and had put it off his/her truck before leaving the warehouse, which delayed things. This UPS driver hadn't noticed, and it was well on the way to upstate NY. The woman was LUCKY. But she didn't FEEL lucky, and refused to listen to my words, which were trying to help her out. She had a heavy NY accent, which can sound and feel like being battered over the head, to a non New Yorker. I'm a bit luckier than others, b/c my mom was from Schenectady, so I was used to it, and I didn't have the same "ack" response as many of my co-workers would have when getting the full force of a NY accent.

But she was being mean. She excused herself for a moment, and I took the opportunity to look further into it, expecting she had to go drain the pasta or something quickly. But instead of it being her on the line, she put her little son on the line, to, as she put it, have the amazon lady tell him why his b'day present wasn't going to be there for him!!!!!!

By this time, just by my voice getting quieter, slower, and calmer (with a bit of midwest "oh gosh" accent thrown in b/c it tends to calm people down for some reason), my co-workers were peeking over their cubes at me. From what I was saying to the customer, they could figure out what the customer was saying to me. And when I changed my voice from "talking to adult" to "oh hi little johnny", the jaws of my co-workers just about hit the floor.

I was told by more than one co-worker later that she was lucky she got me, b/c they would have told little Johnny that this was all mom's fault b/c she had forgotten his b'day until 3 days before it!!!

But I just told him that there was something going on with the truck bringing it to him, and that I hoped he would have a nice party, and it would probably be delivered the following day. HE was much better than his mom was, he was quiet and accepted what I said, and thanked me.

And of course later, the next day, when I checked up on the shipment to give her an email update, it showed that the UPS driver was forced to go home that day, due to the ICE STORMS in the area, and keeping the drivers safe.

You'd think she would have known about the ice storms in her area; even if they weren't over her house, she could have looked at the area of the UPS site...

NOTE TO ALL. Most customer service places have what they'll do for you figured out as soon as they see what's going on. You'll get that and you won't get much else, especially if you're yelling. Yelling makes it WORSE for you. Flies, honey, that sort of thing. Extra help gets taken from you the meaner you are... That lady thought she was getting something from me, since I did refund the shipping she paid above standard shipping, but I was trying to let her know that OTHER people who bought that item were paying 50+ bucks and getting 20 day shipping, and that she was very very lucky that it got out, but she didn't care and got angry at me for telling her that. She got exactly what she was going to get, and she didn't have to scar me for life, or take her kid's emotional life in her hands by putting the poor kid on the phone!

This is from the other side but tonight I ran into Walmart for a few things and came out with several more than planned (isn't that always the way it is) so I had to use my credit card instead of the intended cash. Well the poor cashier asked to see my driver's license and credit card so I pulled it back out and showed it to her (never had to do that before for a $20 purchase) because I figured that she was just doing her job. She thanked me for showing it to her and being nice about it. She said that the lady before me had just cursed her out for asking for id and even called her manager over to complain. I felt so sorry for her because she was so nice about it and as I said, just doing her job. Wouldn't that woman that complained be sorry if her card was stolen and being used because no one asked for id??? Some people have nothing better to do than complain.

oh this so reminds me of a conversation with a neighbor of mine. Ok so we are outside talking about teens the trials and tribulations. Many as you can imagine so I offer a story as you would of a trial with my 18 year old who was 17 at the time and how we found Boones Farm wine in her room while doing our occasional parent cleaning. (You know once they are around 17 or 18 you have to beat them at their own game because they arent intimidated of you anymore and take nothing you say for face value. )So we took a magic maker while she was away and wrote Nicole's Wine in Big black letters and placed it on our refrigerator. so when she came home she would know she was caught. Well The family goes on vacation and hires the neighbor for pay to watch our dogs. In the conversation we are telling about this trial with her and what we did. The neighbor pipes up and says I seen that and I wondered. I thought darn I guess anything goes in this house. Oh was I piping mad because anything dont go in this house.

Mine without a doubt is Airtran! This is the short version. I was waiting in line @TPA. I was arguing with the counter person with another family. OUr flight was delayed bc of a security issue in our connecting airport, Baltimore. There was no compensation and were told we need to purchase new tix in Baltimore in order to reach our final destination ,we and about 30 other families were about miss the connecting flight and had not even left Tampa. The girl, Jessica was her name, said we had to board the plane and figure when we got there. She called their customer service is get help based on another couples demands and referred to us "rude people standing here that will not leave her alone" Right in front of us!!! HELLO! In the midst of her rudeness, she said she was going to get her supervisor and left the counter. After waiting for her to return with her supervisor for about 20 minutes, we saw her boarding another flight! No one even announced that it was the flight we all were supposed to be on and we all missed it! Guess that was her way of getting at us! Eventually made it home, we did talk to the supervisor and he re-routed all of flights, no charge. Needless to say I will never fly Airtran again!!

Many years ago (when I was in my early 20's) I wanted a certain pair of shoes. I saved the money and finally went into a shoe store to buy them. I sat down and a shoe salesman came to wait on me. I told him the shoes I wanted and that I neede a size 5. He went to the back and came back w/ a box. When he took the shoes out of the box I noticed they looked too big. When I questioned the size, he told me they were size 7. I explained that I needed a size 5. He told me the shoes would fit b/c women lied about their shoe size all the time. Needless to say, I was shocked. So, I put on the shoe and shove my toes all the way forward. There is this huge gap in the back of the shoe.

I look at the salesman and insist that he measure my foot so he would know what size I needed....size 5. He does not apologize or anything...just says Oh, we don't have that size. I never went back to that shoe store again.

Many years ago (when I was in my early 20's) I wanted a certain pair of shoes. I saved the money and finally went into a shoe store to buy them. I sat down and a shoe salesman came to wait on me. I told him the shoes I wanted and that I neede a size 5. He went to the back and came back w/ a box. When he took the shoes out of the box I noticed they looked too big. When I questioned the size, he told me they were size 7. I explained that I needed a size 5. He told me the shoes would fit b/c women lied about their shoe size all the time. Needless to say, I was shocked. So, I put on the shoe and shove my toes all the way forward. There is this huge gap in the back of the shoe.

I look at the salesman and insist that he measure my foot so he would know what size I needed....size 5. He does not apologize or anything...just says Oh, we don't have that size. I never went back to that shoe store again.

We went into a kids' shoe store recently, looking for dress shoes for our DS10 - who wears a size 6 and has for the last year. The woman asked how old he was and we said "10" and she said "Oh, then he needs a size 4½." We said "No, he wears a size 6...can you see if you have this shoe in a 6?" So she heads in the back and we sit down. A few minutes later, she comes back out, carrying a box. We have DS take off his shoes and when she hands us the box, they are size 4½. :confused3 We said "Did you not have a 6?" And she said "He should wear a 4½...he's only 10!" We just stood up and walked out without saying another word. :sad2:

We just had our air conditioning out for 29 days due to the home warranty company dragging their feet on every step in the process. If I wouldn't have been calling them every day I would doubt it would even be fixed now. Thank goodness we could stay with our in laws because it was 90+ degrees and very humid.

One of my peeves about customer service that I always let slide because NO ONE seems to know how is that cashiers NEVER count your change. My father was in retail for 40+ years. He taught me how to properly count change to someone when I was 4 because he said it was something everyone needed to know. I cant remember the last time anyone counted my change back to me. I have to stand there and count it and make the next person wait for me.

Mine was at a local grocery store a few weeks ago. I think it was a collaborative effort on all employees part to make shopping miserable. I know there are lot of teenagers out there who are hard workers with good heads on their shoulders, but this particular store I feel picks prime examples of genertion me's to hire. I went an hour before closing. I understand they wanted to get out of there but still an hour is an hour. First I went to the deli, asked for a half pound of turkey. The kid threw some turkey on the scale and wrapped it up. Actual weight was more like 3/4lb. Not a big deal, but it screamed Go away I want to leave. Then I go to the register. The bagger walks away when I get there. I have a personal thing where I just refuse to bag my own groceries. When everyone does this why should managers keep hiring and have baggers on the schedule? It saves them money and certainly not me, and takes away a job. So the cashier proceeds to start bagging while the boy is standing by the door. I did bag a few things but I won't do all. After I go out to the parking lot. This was what sealed the deal. A boy comes up to my car, watches me unload my stuff literally grabs the cart the second I'm done and smashes it into me as he's walking away. He said nothing!

My mother and I went to Victoria's Secret to go bra shopping. I wear a 40-D and found a bra that I liked in the store. I didn't see my size, so I asked the saleslady if they had it in my size and preferred color. She went to the back of the store and came back a couple moments later and said, "No. We don't have it in a 40-D but we do have it in a 32-B. Will that work?" My mother and I just laughed and walked out.

This reminds me of my lovely experiences in Vickys. I swear we have the rudest store that ever exisited. I was almost 8 months pregnant with my daughter. I started at 136 pounds, at the end of the pregnancy I was 232. (yeah that was fun to lose lol ) So here I go trudging into the store and I was looking at all the tables, making my way back to the robe section, because mine no longer fit and a sales woman comes up to me and looks me over in my oversized sweatshirt and yoga pants and says.. " i don't think we have anything in here to fit you...." I just turned and said "excuse me what???" and she said "You won't fit into anything in here... perhaps you could try lane bryant , they have big womens clothes.. "

Looking back she was young and probably trying to be "helpful" , but it was pretty tactless...as was what I did.

I then proceeded to say extremely loudly.. "Did you just tell me that I can't shop here because I am too fat????? Excuse you, but I am nine months pregnant! And even if I was 550 I have the right to shop anywhere I please." At which time i pushed all the thongs panties off the table onto the floor and said "oh I'm so sorry my enormous fat must have knocked those off!!! OFF TO " THE BIG WOMANS STORE" I guess!" And i left.

Sometimes hormones make you a little crazy. I probably looked just as nutty. lol Even if she was trying to be "helpful" I could have been shopping for anyone so there was really no reason for her to alert me to my size. If I was that weight normally ... well even if I wasn't.. I think I can determine what size I am. @@

This reminds me of my lovely experiences in Vickys. I swear we have the rudest store that ever exisited. I was almost 8 months pregnant with my daughter. I started at 136 pounds, at the end of the pregnancy I was 232. (yeah that was fun to lose lol ) So here I go trudging into the store and I was looking at all the tables, making my way back to the robe section, because mine no longer fit and a sales woman comes up to me and looks me over in my oversized sweatshirt and yoga pants and says.. " i don't think we have anything in here to fit you...." I just turned and said "excuse me what???" and she said "You won't fit into anything in here... perhaps you could try lane bryant , they have big womens clothes.. "

Looking back she was young and probably trying to be "helpful" , but it was pretty tactless...as was what I did.

I then proceeded to say extremely loudly.. "Did you just tell me that I can't shop here because I am too fat????? Excuse you, but I am nine months pregnant! And even if I was 550 I have the right to shop anywhere I please." At which time i pushed all the thongs panties off the table onto the floor and said "oh I'm so sorry my enormous fat must have knocked those off!!! OFF TO " THE BIG WOMANS STORE" I guess!" And i left.

Sometimes hormones make you a little crazy. I probably looked just as nutty. lol Even if she was trying to be "helpful" I could have been shopping for anyone so there was really no reason for her to alert me to my size. If I was that weight normally ... well even if I wasn't.. I think I can determine what size I am. @@

Good for you!!:cheer2: And hello!! Isn't it possible you may have been buying a gift. No reason for that whatsoever.

This is from the other side but tonight I ran into Walmart for a few things and came out with several more than planned (isn't that always the way it is) so I had to use my credit card instead of the intended cash. Well the poor cashier asked to see my driver's license and credit card so I pulled it back out and showed it to her (never had to do that before for a $20 purchase) because I figured that she was just doing her job. She thanked me for showing it to her and being nice about it. She said that the lady before me had just cursed her out for asking for id and even called her manager over to complain. I felt so sorry for her because she was so nice about it and as I said, just doing her job. Wouldn't that woman that complained be sorry if her card was stolen and being used because no one asked for id??? Some people have nothing better to do than complain.

This has to be one of my biggest complaints working retail. At least 2 or 3 times a shift I have a customer get huffy because I ask them to see ID, when they use their cc. Amazingly enough, most of the cards say "see Id, Ask for ID or CID please". If you don't want a cashier to make you show your ID no matter what the price of the purchase is, then don't write it on the back of your card....!!!!

Also, as a mom, something that bothers me is the parents who come into our store and either don't watch their kids at all, or look at me and ask me if I can keep an eye on them. Are you kidding me?!?! These are the same parents who complain when their little angels pull down posters hanging in the front windows onto themselves!! Retail workers are not babysitters!!

I personally think that everyone should have to spend one Christmas season on the other side of the desk, working retail, and in food service. Then and only then can you truly understand what it is like to be in customer service. This is not an excuse for bad behavior, just a recommendation so that everyone can see it from both sides.

Your post about retail workers not being babysitters reminded me of something. About ten years ago I was an asst mgr in a Disney Store. (Ahhh... the good ole days of TDS) We were one of the cities/malls chosen for a mall tour, I believe it was the Hercules tour or Bugs Life. We had a mom in the store with her daughter. She lost her daughter and was frantic. I can't remember for certain but I think the little girl was around 4. The store was crazy busy because of all the extra promotions and there were things set up all throughout the mall. I had castmembers help her look and we shortly found her. About five minutes later the same Mom comes up to me and says she lost her daughter. This time we couldn't find her anywhere near by. I called mall security and sent castmembers into the mall looking for her. We could not spare the castmembers but this was a missing child so I sent them. We found this little girl down about five stores, around a corner and down another three or four stores. Well, about five minutes later guess who comes up to me...... yep, same mom. At this point I was furious. I immediately called mall security and went about my job. She was yelling at me in front of everyone saying that if anything happened to her daughter it would be all my fault because I personally wasn't looking for her!!!! I was so furious with her for being an idiot, but I calmly told her that I had gone above and beyond twice and I was not her child's babysitter. I told her that mall security would be arriving shortly. Some people should not be parents!

Specifically when you hand them money, isn't it an automatic response when someone hands you something to say thank you? I hand them money, they say nothing, they hand me back change, I say thank you. Manners? If they don't say "thank you" then, they are not going to say "Thanks for shopping here" that's a given. Just a sign of poor manners/upbringing. If your working with public, you should have some social skills.

Umm...no. When people hand me their money, I put it in the register and give them their change and reciept and then thank them. I don't thank them when they hand me their cash, or their credit card, or their items to scan. I thank them at the end of the transaction.

Umm...no. When people hand me their money, I put it in the register and give them their change and reciept and then thank them. I don't thank them when they hand me their cash, or their credit card, or their items to scan. I thank them at the end of the transaction.

Just my feelings, when someone puts something, anything in my hand, I always say thank you - just me, just my habbit. Truthfully, if I am polite enough to HAND someone something, they should be polite enough the say thanks, I mean, its not like its much effort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter