You're crazy! No I'm Dopey! 2017 WDW Marathon Weekend PTR Updated 12/31

9:42 pace for your 15 mile run is awesome! You're doing great!

Less than 60 days until you officially become Dopey ... it's so exciting!!

Congrats on the 15-miler! Wishing you much luck with your training in the next couple months! Our 17-year-old repeatedly runs half marathons with zero training (and I do mean zero - he doesn't run at all except for Disney 5Ks, 10Ks and half marathons) so I know that undertrained isn't the end of the world for some young guys. Of course, you have a regular running schedule, so you're in a different spot which is great because marathon/Dopey requires so much more than the half . . . a 20-miler or something similar would really help! If you ran down Wisconsin and then up Lincoln Memorial and Lake Drive to the Wheel and Sprocket in Fox Point on a nice day, you could get that in! And other than Wisconsin Avenue, it's a beautiful route - maybe @DopeyBadger can back me on that!

Glad you have FP+, but are OK with being flexible. I plan to schedule FP+ on Sunday in the late afternoon - we're staying at BWI and our FP+ will be for Epcot with dinner at Via, so it should work out.

Congrats on the 15-miler! Wishing you much luck with your training in the next couple months! Our 17-year-old repeatedly runs half marathons with zero training (and I do mean zero - he doesn't run at all except for Disney 5Ks, 10Ks and half marathons) so I know that undertrained isn't the end of the world for some young guys. Of course, you have a regular running schedule, so you're in a different spot which is great because marathon/Dopey requires so much more than the half . . . a 20-miler or something similar would really help! If you ran down Wisconsin and then up Lincoln Memorial and Lake Drive to the Wheel and Sprocket in Fox Point on a nice day, you could get that in! And other than Wisconsin Avenue, it's a beautiful route - maybe @DopeyBadger can back me on that!

Glad you have FP+, but are OK with being flexible. I plan to schedule FP+ on Sunday in the late afternoon - we're staying at BWI and our FP+ will be for Epcot with dinner at Via, so it should work out.
Thanks! I probably could run a half with little training but I feel much safer with the training of course. I am planning the 20 miler but was planning to do it at my house rather than downtown. Personally I am just not comfortable running down here yet. I do loops around my neighborhood which is about 2 miles per loop.

I just changed FP again yesterday so I am definitely flexible with FP.

When it comes to the 20-miler, it should definitely be where you are most comfortable! I still can't decide whether I'll do that inside on the treadmill or outside - it's very weather dependent. Last marathon, I did a 20-miler and a 21-miler on the treadmill, but I'm not sure I'm up for that much on the treadmill again.

When it comes to the 20-miler, it should definitely be where you are most comfortable! I still can't decide whether I'll do that inside on the treadmill or outside - it's very weather dependent. Last marathon, I did a 20-miler and a 21-miler on the treadmill, but I'm not sure I'm up for that much on the treadmill again.
I don't like doing much over 3 miles on a treadmill. Thankfully the Wisconsin weather has been awesome for running this year.

I can speak from personal experience of doing a marathon undertrained and it was a very painful experience. It was painful during and very very painful after. Just keep doing your best to get your runs in consistently during the week. The Long runs should be at a nice slow and easy pace. Do your best not to race the long runs as you'll lose the benefits of the training. Please be very careful doing the Dopey given your current training situation.

Can't speak to training in Milwaukee though as my only experience there has been racing Lakefront. I have no idea the street names of that, but it is nice and beautiful there.

We have been so lucky with nice Fall weather thus far. Although this weekend looks like our first sub 30 days!

I can speak from personal experience of doing a marathon undertrained and it was a very painful experience. It was painful during and very very painful after. Just keep doing your best to get your runs in consistently during the week. The Long runs should be at a nice slow and easy pace. Do your best not to race the long runs as you'll lose the benefits of the training. Please be very careful doing the Dopey given your current training situation.

Can't speak to training in Milwaukee though as my only experience there has been racing Lakefront. I have no idea the street names of that, but it is nice and beautiful there.

We have been so lucky with nice Fall weather thus far. Although this weekend looks like our first sub 30 days!
Thanks for the advice.

Yes our good weather is coming to an end this weekend.

DH did a marathon and believes you still have plenty of time to get in a long run. Usually, you don't do a long run until much closer to the event anyway. Plus, you are a freshman in college; young people bounce back like rubber:jumping2:

DH did a marathon and believes you still have plenty of time to get in a long run. Usually, you don't do a long run until much closer to the event anyway. Plus, you are a freshman in college; young people bounce back like rubber:jumping2:
Yes I know I am planning a long run in a few weeks. I'll have plenty of training runs in between that though.

Sometimes college makes my brain feel like rubber... :teacher::scared::confused::rotfl:

To piggy-back off of @DopeyBadger here just a bit ... I've done one weekend of races undertrained (all three at Tinker Bell Weekend), and it was what started the ball rolling towards my injuries over the summer and through Disneyland Half.

While, yes, the key to marathon training singularly is the long run on the weekends, the key to Dopey is the build up of weekly mileage and back-to-backs. Try to focus on that, if you can. Even if it's just two miles EVERY day and a long run on the weekend, you're still in great shape for Dopey rather than the sporadic runs and crazy-fast buildup of mileage. Even 30-45 minutes of serious running every day, combined with a long run on the weekend and a complete rest day will be more beneficial to you.

For example, today I ran for an hour (just about 6 miles) and then I rode my bike for two hours (almost 24 miles). The two combined equal aerobic output greater than the time it takes me to run a half marathon. Sure, I didn't run 13 miles, but with the cycling I actually worked harder than I would normally running (based on my HR). It will make my runs the rest of this step-back week faster, and actually easier.

I know as a college student that your schedule is busy, but if you have to take 30-45 away from things like being here on the DIS to get in a short maintenance run, you'll be much better for it in the long run. Or, if it's not 30-45 minutes of running then go for 30-45 (or even 60 minutes, if you can) of some other form of high-impact aerobic activity to maintain the level of aerobic fitness you'll need to complete Dopey. Upright/recumbent stationary bike at the gym does just as well - or an elliptical or summit climber - and you can do whatever reading you need to do for class while you're doing it.

Have you experimented with fueling or anything like that yet? The Marathon this year was humid and HOT - likely very different from any situation you've ever been in training in Wisconsin. If you haven't yet, I'll send you some things to just try on a daily basis and see how your GI reacts. You WILL need to fuel and hydrate outside what is offered on the course, especially if you are planning on park touring without an immediate recovery period after you finish the Marathon.

That's a great sentiment - but did he do a marathon on the fourth day after a 5K, a 10K, a half marathon and full days in the parks? Even a rubber band only has so much stretch in it ...

To piggy-back off of @DopeyBadger here just a bit ... I've done one weekend of races undertrained (all three at Tinker Bell Weekend), and it was what started the ball rolling towards my injuries over the summer and through Disneyland Half.

While, yes, the key to marathon training singularly is the long run on the weekends, the key to Dopey is the build up of weekly mileage and back-to-backs. Try to focus on that, if you can. Even if it's just two miles EVERY day and a long run on the weekend, you're still in great shape for Dopey rather than the sporadic runs and crazy-fast buildup of mileage. Even 30-45 minutes of serious running every day, combined with a long run on the weekend and a complete rest day will be more beneficial to you.

For example, today I ran for an hour (just about 6 miles) and then I rode my bike for two hours (almost 24 miles). The two combined equal aerobic output greater than the time it takes me to run a half marathon. Sure, I didn't run 13 miles, but with the cycling I actually worked harder than I would normally running (based on my HR). It will make my runs the rest of this step-back week faster, and actually easier.

I know as a college student that your schedule is busy, but if you have to take 30-45 away from things like being here on the DIS to get in a short maintenance run, you'll be much better for it in the long run. Or, if it's not 30-45 minutes of running then go for 30-45 (or even 60 minutes, if you can) of some other form of high-impact aerobic activity to maintain the level of aerobic fitness you'll need to complete Dopey. Upright/recumbent stationary bike at the gym does just as well - or an elliptical or summit climber - and you can do whatever reading you need to do for class while you're doing it.

Have you experimented with fueling or anything like that yet? The Marathon this year was humid and HOT - likely very different from any situation you've ever been in training in Wisconsin. If you haven't yet, I'll send you some things to just try on a daily basis and see how your GI reacts. You WILL need to fuel and hydrate outside what is offered on the course, especially if you are planning on park touring without an immediate recovery period after you finish the Marathon.

That's a great sentiment - but did he do a marathon on the fourth day after a 5K, a 10K, a half marathon and full days in the parks? Even a rubber band only has so much stretch in it ...
I ran 30 minutes today which equaled about a 5K. I was planning on doing that again tomorrow with a bit longer run on Friday. I usually get 4 runs in per week unless my schedule changes. The bike or elliptical is a good idea too, I could try that tomorrow after my run.

I haven't done much fueling yet other than sports drinks because I don't really know where to begin.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

I ran 30 minutes today which equaled about a 5K. I was planning on doing that again tomorrow with a bit longer run on Friday. I usually get 4 runs in per week unless my schedule changes. The bike or elliptical is a good idea too, I could try that tomorrow after my run.

I haven't done much fueling yet other than sports drinks because I don't really know where to begin.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

Cool - I'll send you some stuff ... beans, waffles, shot blocs, gels. See what you like and what you don't - you can take most of them whenever you're about to work out. They will all have basically the same energy effect, but the real affect is what it does to your GI. Or what you like based on flavor/texture.

At this point, daily aerobic exertion will do nothing but help you come Dopey Weekend! Think of it as two-a-days or three-a-days (if you have to walk around campus quite a bit) ... all the activity you can get will only help. Also, practice active recovery. Stretching. Icing when you feel tired. Check out SWORKIT for easy core and yoga workouts you can do in 15 minutes.

Cool - I'll send you some stuff ... beans, waffles, shot blocs, gels. See what you like and what you don't - you can take most of them whenever you're about to work out. They will all have basically the same energy effect, but the real affect is what it does to your GI. Or what you like based on flavor/texture.
You're awesome keels thanks!

Yeah my 17 year old self could pull runs out like no tomorrow, 20 years later, not so much, so I agree rteetz you'll be fine. For long runs my only advice is don't push it to the 20 if you aren't ready too. Better to cut it short than do damage just trying to get mileage in, like if you feel your form suffering cut it, otherwise you could end up hurt. Better undertrained than injured :) I repeat the same stretch of roads for safety and to try to avoid hills too, it really isn't too bad. Keep it up!

Yeah my 17 year old self could pull runs out like no tomorrow, 20 years later, not so much, so I agree rteetz you'll be fine. For long runs my only advice is don't push it to the 20 if you aren't ready too. Better to cut it short than do damage just trying to get mileage in, like if you feel your form suffering cut it, otherwise you could end up hurt. Better undertrained than injured :) I repeat the same stretch of roads for safety and to try to avoid hills too, it really isn't too bad. Keep it up!
Thanks! My 15 miler wasn't bad. I think I can build that to 18-20 miles in a couple weeks.

Well done on your 15-miler! Just keep up your training and stay consistent. You are getting some great advice.

Hey Ryan!

Ashleigh here- been lurking on your PTR and TR from last years marathon weekend and figured I should finally comment!

My hubby and I did the half last year and loved it- we really liked the vibe of the parks during the weekend as well. Made the "adult" decision not to run Disney this year (got married, bought a house, new car, yada yada) but your PTR is making me regret that decision.

Congrats on the 15 miler- that's a great pace. I agree with some other posters- I think you need to increase your weekly mileage OR incorporate "brick" style runs into your routine to be sufficiently prepared for Dopey. That being said, I know 5 people who have done Dopey with very minimal training so... It can be done!

I can't even remember if I've said "hi" around here or not lol but so excited for you and the Dopey! I really want to do one of the RunDisney events one day...so far they are just never at a time when I can get away! But one day!! I think I want to do my first half at home before trying one away also, but you never know. But from what little running knowledge I posess...it looks like you are doing great with the mileage buildup and workouts! Agree with the idea that you have to start trying fuels - also a good idea to find out what actual fuel will be given out on race day - I like to try whatever they are serving in advance too...so you know if you like it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter