Yuck! All my clothes ruined!

unfreshdiva1

DIS Veteran
Came home from week long business trip to find major water damage in my apartment (water dripping from ceiling in my walk in closet). Ceiling looks like it is about to colapase (and I'm on the bottom floor of a three story building). Called emergency mainentance at 7 p.m. never heard back. Been emptying pots of water all night (it's that bad). All clothes wet/mouldy, video camera looks shot, and worse of all lots of my Madonna memrobilia from the 80's (mainly posters) ruined! Thank god for renters insurance! Anyone had experience like this (and if so, any thoughts on what I may need for insurance claim besides photos?). Thanks - going to be a wonderful day here in Winter Park!:lmao:

Wow, I've never been through anything like that so I can't offer much help. The only idea I have is to document everything, preferably before maintenance gets there. Start taking pictures, if your camera is damaged run out to a corner store and grab a disposable one. Good luck. :hug:

I would call the insurance company right now and ask them what to do. They might send an adjustor out to look at it.
And I would be calling maintenance every 10 minutes until they called me back!

Look on the bright side. You'll get to go on a shopping spree and get an updated wardrobe!! You'll have to change your name to freshdiva :thumbsup2

Yuck!

I agree with JSG, call your insurance company as soon as possible. Let them tell you what they'll need.

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can get everything figured out with the insurance company.

ewwww...nothing worse than water damage. I'm so sorry! Good luck with the insurance company. Hope all goes well!

Thanks everyone! Been a rough morning. They had big fans blowing in my place now and have cut out the ceiling! I'm taking pictures of everything (insurance company is only open M-F).

(insurance company is only open M-F).

Call and leave a msg. My insurance company is only OPEN M-F, but, if you leave a msg they'll call back during other times if they deem it an issue that they should get involved with before then.

all you can do is document everything and for goodness sakes watch for mold it doesnt take it long to get going down here. Sending you good vibes and wishes:wizard:

Oh good grief. :(

I don't know what the laws are here in Florida, but I know in many places damage like this would be the full responsibility of the property owner.

You shouldn't end up being out any money over this. If you have deductibles, I would expect the home owner to reimburse you for those.

Take care now. Sounds like you have a real mess to clean up. :(

I'm sorry you're going through this. :hug: As someone who recently had his dining room ceiling removed and replaced due to it leaking I completely sympathize with you. Unfortunately......water always wins. :sad2:

I'm SO sorry. My daughter's future in laws had this happen this past fall. They tried the big fans as well, only to find out, MOLD! Their ins. company paid for them to get ALL new flooring. I hope everything works out for you, but be careful and have them check for ANY mold spores. Once you get them its' VERY hard to get rid of them and very unhealthy.:eek:

Chris

How is all this going now?

Is the mess still a mess, and can you hire a company like serv-pro to come and clean? Our insurance allowed this after a contained fire at our place of work.

You have been on my mind, I know I would have a fit with the clean up etc (I hate disorder) and have been projecting that on you:rotfl: Hope you are actually dealing calmly with it all.

Best wishes

Kathleen

Have an adjuster coming by on Saturday (currently in Victoria, TX on business). I've washed some of my "favorite" clothes and they still smell moldy (my Versace cashmere overcoat is safe!). I'm hoping apartment complex has everything fixed/repaired by the time I get home Friday night.

Water damage isn't worst thing I can think of. The idiots in my complex are always burning something down. I've got enough renters insurance but obviously some things cannot be replaced. I have a tube of mostly early 90's Madonna posters in my pantry (of all places). When I was a teen my room was literally wallpapered in Madonna. I hope everything works out for you.

Turned out water damage was due to apartment above me. When people moved out apparently they did not disconnect washing machine properly (how hard is it to turn off water). I now have to list each piece of clothing, where I bought it, how much it cost, how much to replace. Of course I have no idea for majority. Oh well, time to lose weight and buy new clothes!:goodvibes

That's what I'm talking about! Enjoy the shopping spree!! I've been dieting and plan to reward myself with a new wardrobe when I get down to my goal. And if you can't remember where or how much you paid for an item, aim high!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter