Yummy Yummy Yummy - A live report 11/30-12/6 updated with Spoodles

ChelleinNC

Say "Hi" to Art the Greeter for me!
Let me start by saying this trip was almost cancelled the week before it started (variety of reasons), debate on whether to add the DDP or not until the day we checked in (yes, I know it's 48 hours prior to check in but they've offered it to us every other trip when we checked in :rolleyes1 ) and a 6 car pile up on I-95 on the way down :scared: (we're fine and my big ol' truck is pretty good)

Planned restaurants:

offsite Saturday night: Toojays post #11
Hollywood Brown Derby Sunday 11/30 post 14 & 15
Sunshine Seasons CS post 17
LeCellier Candlelight Processional Package 12/1 post 21 & 22
Grey Goose & Grand Marnier slushies post #31
Les Chefs de France 12/2 Change of plans, Planet Hollywood posts 37 & 38
Flame Tree BBQ 12/3Why do I make plans? Ah yes, to change them of course! Royal Anandapur Tea Company & Pizzafari post #43
Olivia's Cafe post #47
Columbia Harbor House post #52
DD's reviews of Electric Umbrella, Main Street Bakery & Pecos Bill's post #55

Jiko 12/4 posts 56 & 57
Spoodles 12/5 post #78

We'll see how the plans go, and throw in any other CS or snacks :thumbsup2

Woo hoo!! You made it! :cool1:

Please tell me you took a picture of Crunky? :rotfl2: :lmao:

Have a great trip!!! :goodvibes

Yay I am so excited! Glad that you made it safe and sound and I cannot wait to hear all about your adventures in dining!

Please have a drink for me!

We like to drive down the day before check in, and stay offsite for a night. We got on the road around 8am Saturday morning, making great time until we were the 2nd car in a 6 car pile up :scared: We managed to stop and not hit the van in front of us, but the guy behind us didn't stop as quickly :sad2: Any of you who were stuck on I-95 SB in Georgia, sorry :rolleyes1 We're all fine, my Expedition has a broken handle for the liftgate & the front grill popped out. That's it. It just took a good hour waiting for the police to get everything taken care of. We drove off and arrived at the Buean Vista Suites around 5:15pm :goodvibes

DH & I both grew up in northern cities with large Jewish populations, so we miss having good delis. Toojays is a local chain that's really pretty good. We headed off to the Dr. Philips area Toojays on Sand Lake Blvd.

DH was thrilled with his Matzho Ball soup, so thrilled that the only picture I have is of an empty bowl :laughing:

Bread served before dinner:

DH, DD15 & I all had a Corned Beef Sandwhich with minor differences. The sandwich came with a yummy kosher dill pickle & some pretty good cole slaw. Cole slaw was creamy, but not too creamy :thumbsup2

DD had a side of french fries and DH had a smear of chopped liver:

Everything was really good! Corned beef was excellent, cole slaw was good, french fries were hot, crispy on the outside & soft on the inside; DH says the chopped liver was good, I wasn't gonna touch it but he likes it.

If you're wondering, yes DS 11 was with us, but he wasn't hungry and only had a bagel with cream cheese. He did make this contribution to the food pics:

:rotfl: :lmao:

Good comfort food was what we needed and it's what we got :thumbsup2

Bring it!! Can't wait to hear about Spoodles!
We haven't been in a few years, so I'm looking forward to it :goodvibes Thanks for joining in!
I can't wait to hear more I love live reports:cool1: :goodvibes
Admittedly, the first few days are a little behind but I'll do better.

Can't wait to read more! Hope you are having a fun time! :goodvibes
So far, we're having a great time :yay:

I'm in. I cant wait to hear about Spoodles also. :goodvibes

Count me in.......popcorn::

Thanks for coming along :banana:

Yay I am so excited! Glad that you made it safe and sound and I cannot wait to hear all about your adventures in dining!

Please have a drink for me!

You my dear are the inspiration for the report. DD has been talking forever about doing a live report like yours :flower3: She's taking most of the pics and DS is even helping because of your reports :worship:
Ooooh, I remembered and tried the Grand Marnier Slushie :yay: :banana: :goodvibes Yummy Yummy Yummy!
:cool1: :banana: :yay: :rotfl2:

You're awesome!!! :flower3:
:hug:

Sunday 11/30

This is probably our favorite restaurant and has become a 1st night tradition for us.

We had a 7pm ADR at Hollywood Brown Derby. After riding a few rides & avoiding as many raindrops as possible we made our way to HBD, starving & anticipating a wonderful meal. We were not disappointed!

We started with cocktails: DH ordered the Manhattan (just seems like the kind of drink you should have here)

I couldn't decide what I wanted :confused3 Our server Laura suggested the Pumpkin martini but I wasn't real sure about that (especially before dinner) I asked how the Candy Cane martini was and she said "awful!" She said that while it sounded like a good idea, in reality it looks and tastes like Pepto Bismol :sick: I decided to go with her other suggestion of the Hollywood It took awhile for my drink to come. Laura informed us that they had a new bartender that night and he was still getting used to things :rotfl: She admitted that my drink was the 3rd attempt and she still wasn't sure it was quite right. It tasted fine to me, but I was pretty sure it had a lot more Chambord in it than it was supposed to ;) I don't remember what else was in it, but it was Yummy!
We started with the Cobb Salad. This is why DH loves :love: HBD.

What can I say other than I'm glad the kids don't like it :laughing: It was wonderful as always.

The rolls were warm, crusty on the outside & soft on the inside. Delicious :) Butter is served as a slab on a plate. DS "embellished" his:

Dinner:
DH & I both had the Grilled Atlantic Salmon on soft mascarpone polenta with gorgonzola, balsamic glaze and Sicillan olive tapenade. I've had this several times now and it's always incredible. The salmon is good enough that they can cook/serve it medium rare or even rare. The marscapone polenta is creamy goodness with bits of gorgonzola to add a little bite to it. The olive tapenade is good, but I prefer black olives to green. For those that like green olives, you'd probably think the tapenade was to die for.

DD had the Roasted Sterling Silver Pork Rib Chop with mustard spaetzle, white cheddar, rainbow chard, vinegar onions and pan juices. She fell in love with the pork at HBD last December. It's been a little different each time since, but she's loved every last bite of it. The pork was melt in your mouth, cut it with a butter knife tender. She probably wouldn't eat most of the sides on their own, but said they worked really well together :yay:

DS had his usual, what he calls "the best hotdog on property"

It's an all beef hot dog, served with chips. Laura told DS he could have french fries instead, even recommending them because the chips are a "healthy" chip. He gladly took her recommendation :goodvibes

part 2 up next

We were pretty full, but couldn't miss out on dessert. DH & DD ordered the famous Grapefruit cake, I changed things up and tried the Pumpkin cheesecake with pumpkin seed brittle. DS had the Hidden Treasure from the kids menu.

They love this, light and fluffy with a bit of tartness from the grapefruit.

DD had this last year, so I had to try it this time. OMG this was good!!! The pumpkin seed brittle was incredible (and was covered in chocolate on the back of it :worship: ) The cheesecake was just pumpkin, cinamonny nutmeg creamy goodness :cloud9:

DS's Hidden Treasures: Vanilla ice cream, Oreo cookie crumbles and gummy snakes with a Tollhouse cookie

We had coffee with dessert and DH decided it was time for me to try Port, so we shared a glass of the Fereira 10 year Port. It was good, very sweet but very strong. I'm glad we shared it because I'm not sure I could have drank the whole glass by myself.

Using our DDE/TiW discount dinner (including tax & 18% gratuity) came to $176.12. Since Laura was so good (I love a server that will tell you the truth) we did bump the tip up a little.

WOWZA I am in heaven! Note to self, try the Brown Derby! That meal looks incredible! Tell the kids that Nicki sends them a big THANK YOU ...and do be really nice to MOM!

Oh babe---DELI! I am the product of a Jewish dad who can cook and owned Delis in MA and an Italian mom that can cook with the best of them and as you can image I miss the food so much! Where is this wonderful looking deli because DH and I are just going to have to find it!

You cannot get a good corn beef sandwich in Naples to save your life....and chicken liver? Forget it they look at you like you are an alien!

I booked our Candlelight Processional Package the day they came out :santa: We were all looking forward to LeCellier for dinner. We split up when we arrived at Epcot, the kids went one way and DH & I went another (I love the fact that they are old enough to go off on their own!) Since we ate lunch seperately, I'll have DD post on that later.

DH & I decided we didn't want anything too heavy/filling for lunch because we were saving room for dinner. We went to Sunshine Seasons to the Asian section. We got a package of Full Moon sushi from the cooler to share and both got the 2 entrees 2 sides.

Full Moon sushi:

Hmmm, don't know where the missing pieces went :rolleyes1 Full Moon is basically a California Roll with spicy mustard. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great. For pre-made/pre-packaged sushi it was pretty good.

Two Entree Two Sides: Pretty simple, you pick 2 of each
Side Items: Garlic Udon Noodles, Stirfry vegetables, White Rice, or Broccoli
Entree Items: Sweet and Sour Chicken, Spicy Thai Chicken, Mongolian Ginger Beef

I had the Sweet & Sour Chicken & Mongolian Ginger Beef with the udon noodles & stif fry veggies. DH had the Spicy Thai Chicken instead of the Sweet & Sour, everything else the same.

It was good but not "wow". The sweet & sour was good, the mongolian beef was kind of boring. Spicy Thai was not spicy :sad2: Udon noodles were good, and I was impressed with the stir fry veggies that they were crisp and not mushy :thumbsup2

Total for the 2 meals, sushi & a bottle of water was $33.92

Not a meal to write home about, but it hit the spot and filled us up just enough to make it to dinner hungry :goodvibes

WOWZA I am in heaven! Note to self, try the Brown Derby! That meal looks incredible! Tell the kids that Nicki sends them a big THANK YOU ...and do be really nice to MOM!

Oh babe---DELI! I am the product of a Jewish dad who can cook and owned Delis in MA and an Italian mom that can cook with the best of them and as you can image I miss the food so much! Where is this wonderful looking deli because DH and I are just going to have to find it!

You cannot get a good corn beef sandwich in Naples to save your life....and chicken liver? Forget it they look at you like you are an alien!

My mom was Jewish, Grandparents Jewish. DH is Jewish, so we've both grown up around good corned beef & bagels! My grandparents used to winter down here in Lake Mary (just up I-4 near Altamonte Springs) They had a TooJays right around the corner from their condo and whenever I would visit, they'd take me there. Of course, they were like Norm there, when they walked in everyone knew them :goodvibes Here's a link to TooJays website with their menu & locations.

Loving your reviews even though I am more than a little bit jealous of you there. Hope you have a fabulous time and spare the time to keep writing your reviews.

So glad that you have posted a review about Hollywood Brown Derby as we try that for the first time in February.

Enjoy the rest of your week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter