• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

zebra domes at boma

They are a very sweet chocolate mousse with a striped icing top, like a little cake. Personally, I wasn't that impressed.

I didn't have any because they have gelatin in them. DH had one, and he wasn't all that impressed either. We both loved the flourless chocolate cake at Boma, but most of the other desserts were just okay. Nice, but not something I'd save much room for.

There just a little white( I don't know if it was white chocolate or vanilla) cake that that has chocolate drizzled acrossed it to look like zebra stripes. I didn't think it tasted very good.

I thik they are terrific, but everone has their own tastes. Little sponge cake with cocolate as describes above and a coffee flavor. They are small little things and f given the chance I would probably eat roughly 2 or 3 hunderd. :-)

Exactly what they are:

Mocha mousse over a sponge circle topped with hard chocolate (or white chocolate) ganache.

Mousse - whipped cream and chocolate, in this case firmed with geletain. I found the Zebra Domes at Boma to be far too geletainy

Ganache - chocolate and cream.

Recipe

http://www.allearsnet.com/din/rec_zebra.htm

I'm a dessert snob and I thought these were wonderful in concept - and absolutely lousy in execution. Ours were stale and had way too much geletain in them (about twice as much per cup of cream as you normally would put in a mousse). But, as I said, I'm a dessert snob.

crisi said:
Exactly what they are:

Mocha mousse over a sponge circle topped with hard chocolate (or white chocolate) ganache.

Mousse - whipped cream and chocolate, in this case firmed with geletain. I found the Zebra Domes at Boma to be far too geletainy

Ganache - chocolate and cream.

Recipe

http://www.allearsnet.com/din/rec_zebra.htm

I'm a dessert snob and I thought these were wonderful in concept - and absolutely lousy in execution. Ours were stale and had way too much geletain in them (about twice as much per cup of cream as you normally would put in a mousse). But, as I said, I'm a dessert snob.

While I loved them, Crisi, I can see your point on the geletain. Perhapps they do that because they sit on the buffet and they need them to stand up longer.

i would imagine if you made them at home you could cut down on the geletain to get a texture more pleasing to your pallet.

We LOVE Boma and Zebra domes - BUT you can try them at the Mara (CS place at AKL) if you don't want to have to go to Boma

I'm another that thinks the Zebra Domes are just "OK". IMHO there are better desserts at Boma than these.

I loved them and think about them often lol :love:

Here's a pic. Not the world's best pic but what can you do. They're the ones on the left

145434241_c4aca22b0a_o.jpg

deltachi8 said:
While I loved them, Crisi, I can see your point on the geletain. Perhapps they do that because they sit on the buffet and they need them to stand up longer.

i would imagine if you made them at home you could cut down on the geletain to get a texture more pleasing to your pallet.

I suspect this is the real problem with me and Boma - most of the food had the "buffet problem" - food kept under warmers just doesn't do it for me. But I think you are also right about the zebra domes, the amount of geletain enables them to be made early and kept in the open. It also allows them to be "domed" easily - the mousse needs to have some body to stand up the the ganache.

I'm an amatuer pastry chef and these would be a pain in the back end to make at home - molded pastries usually are (but I don't like this sort of futzing - don't like doing molded truffles either). Then again, you could get most of the same taste by making a mocha mousse with chocolate shards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter