• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zebra Domes?

They can be purchased to go at Mara in the AKL. It is a CS restaurant located on the lower level by the pool.

Can someone tell me what these zebra domes taste like? Are they chocolate inside? The pictures of them look so good. We are not eating at Bomas in January when we go but I'm feeling left out that I'm not gonna get to have one of these. Might have to change my ADR's

Yes, two packs can be purchased in mara, the quick food restaurant at AKL.

Personally, I am not a big fan of the zebra domes. They are coffee flavored which is not really to my taste. I think that there are a lot of other desserts at Boma that are better including the banana bread pudding and the paw print brownies. Don't go by my opinion though because there are plenty of people who love the zebra domes.

Zebra Domes.

1zebradome.jpg

I had one, once. I am not a big fan of a coffee flavour in chocolate.

My mom does not like the taste of coffee in anything and she did not even realize it had coffee in it. Below is the Zebra Dome recipe. We have not made them yet but we are planning on trying it soon.

1 pound milk chocolate
¼ cup espresso coffee
5 egg yolks
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
6 sheets gelatin
½ cup Kahlua Liqueur
4 cups heavy cream
¾ cup white chocolate ganache
¼ cup dark chocolate ganache
sponge cake (store-bought or your favorite recipe)

Method:

1. Melt milk chocolate.
2. Whip heavy cream to soft peaks.
3. Mix yolks with sugar.
4. Soften gelatin leaves in cold water.
5. Mix gelatin with Kahlua and coffee. Set bowl over hot water bath to dissolve the gelatin.
6. Fold 1/3 of whipped cream into the chocolate.
7. Add the yolks, then the gelatin mixture.
8. Fold in the rest of the cream.
9. Pour mousse in flexipan domes almost to the top.
10. Place sponge circle (1/4" thick yellow cake cut in a circle) on top. Leave in the freezer to set.
11. Once hard, unmold and place in glazing racks.
12. Make white chocolate ganache and chocolate ganache.
13. Put chocolate ganache in a pastry bag. Ladle white chocolate ganache to cover each dome. Simultaneously, pipe a stripe design of chocolate ganache over the dome.
14. Refrigerate to allow the glaze to set.
15. Decorate the bottom edge with coffee crunch.
16. Place a chocolate covered coffee bean on the center of each dome.

Note: One sheet of gelatin is equal to one teaspoon of unflavored powdered gelatin dissolved in ¼ cup of water.

Like the others have said, Mara is the place to get the Zebra Domes to go.

They are over in the quick grab section by the milk and beer.

I'm hooked on the Zebra domes!!

I can't eat just one. Thanks to Mara they package them in threes or fours. :thumbsup2

I LOVE zebra domes. My fiancee HATES coffee and still loves these. In fact when we were staying at the AKL he was making regular trips to Mara to pick them up!

I recommend purchasing the packages at Mara that have three domes and two chocolate mousse crunch. I like the mousse the best.

Great news! :Pinkbounc We'll be at Boma for breakfast before we leave the World - I'll be sure to pick some up at Mara to go!!! :thumbsup2

i love coffee flavoring, and the "domes" don't seem very coffee flavored to me. they're a little too gelatin-y for my taste. A little too slick on the tongue or something. I like some of the other desserts at boma much better.

after reading so much about zebra domes, loving coffee and dark chocolate things, I was SO excited for our trip to Boma. One taste, tho, and I didn't like them near as much as I thought I would. :blush:
I DO LOVE, the choclate mousse crunch WAY MORE than I ever thought I would like the zebra domes. :love:
I am a picky eater, and I consoled myself with the thought, that even if I couldn't find anything I liked for dinner, I could eat my fill of the mousse crunch, and I did! ;) dinner that night might not have been very healthy, but it was quite tasty!!!

I tried the Zebra Domes just to see what they were like and they were amazing!! I only had one though because it seemed a little too much chocolate mousse for me in one dessert - but definately try them when you go to AKL!! :banana:

Ahh yes, Zebra domes. :love: I love them. I didn't know they had coffee (which I like) in them until someone told me. Usually two are perfect for me.

:wave: paw: paw:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter