• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zebra Domes?

They are from the AKL. They kind of remind me of truffles. You can get them at Mara and Boma and I think they have them at Jiko too. I remember seeing somebody get a free dessert from Jiko and it was zebra domes.

I have never had them so I'm looking forward to trying them.

They are from the AKL. They kind of remind me of truffles. You can get them at Mara and Boma and I think they have them at Jiko too. I remember seeing somebody get a free dessert from Jiko and it was zebra domes.

I have never had them so I'm looking forward to trying them.

Ok... what's in them?

The are a hard ganache (cream and chocolate - because its hard more chocolate than cream) dome that is filled with a mocha mousse (whipped cream, geletain, chocolate, coffee) with a thin sponge cake wafer as a base. I can't remember if the domes are white chocolate with chocolate stripes or chocolate with white chocolate stripes or both.

I find them to be fantastic in theory but poorly executed - too much gelatain in the mousse makes for a gross mousse. And the spongecake isn't a great spongcake (but really is lost in the mousse anyway). But I'm a pastry snob known to make similar pastries in my home kitchen and I expect anything I have out to be better than what I can do at home. These aren't.

Recipe for specifics:

http://allears.net/din/rec_zebra.htm

100_2124.jpg

It's the stripey thing on the left. I think they are yummy, but I'm not a pastry maker at all!

One thing, they taste a little alcohol-y to me?

100_2124.jpg

It's the stripey thing on the left. I think they are yummy, but I'm not a pastry maker at all!

One thing, they taste a little alcohol-y to me?

Kahlua provides the coffee flavor. If you made them at home, you could use espresso, but Boma uses Kahlua.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter