• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zika - Anyone Concerned About Their Cruise?

RJake1

<font color=purple>Nattering Nabob of Negativism<b
Heading out on Fantasy to eastern Carribean. Is anyone taking any particular precautions to deal with Zika virus? Has anyone heard anything about the virus on Tortola, St. Thomas, or Castaway Cay?

We just did this same itinerary in April and honestly didn't see a single mosquito. They were selling bug spray on the ship and I saw several people spraying themselves down on the dock, etc. Most everyone was still wearing shorts and t-shirts, but did see some people covering themselves up maybe more than usual for the caribbean. Just have to read the available information on Zika and take whatever precautions you feel are best for your family.

I recently traveled to Bali for several weeks. They have Zika, Malaria and Dengue Fever. I normally am a mosquito smorgasbord, but I didn't get a single bite on the entire trip. I used a good repellent and took Vitamin B-1, along with sleeping under a mosquito net.

I attribute my success to the Vitamin B-1, since I've used repellent alone for years and still gotten bit by the critters while home in my backyard.

The community where I stayed in Indonesia did spray one day and I assume that is common in the residential and commercial areas. Hopefully, that is happening in the Caribbean also.

A little bit. We are on a Western in November visiting key west, Cozumel , grand Cayman and cc. We will pack bug spray, and I plan to include insect repellant wipes in my Fe cabin gifts. It won't keep us from doing excursions but we won't skip the repellant.

I cruise and travel a lot and I'm not worried at all about things like this. However maybe with children and seniors it will not hurt to have bug spray.

Honestly, nope and I'm a mosquito magnet (got the west nile virus when it went around in Colorado years ago). I will just take precaution with my kids and us and thats the best I can do.

We're simply not going to the Caribbean anymore because of Zika. Many other lovely places to go that don't carry that level of risk.

We were on the Eastern in May and had no issues with mosquitoes. We used bug spray (important to use after putting on sunscreen) when we went to Tortola and St.Thomas and had no issues. The only bad thing was putting it on with the winds and trying to not get a mouthful of it :).

We got back a few weeks ago.

I'm usually a bug magnet and didn't get a single bite.

Didn't wear bug spray either, though I did pack it just in case. Just didn't need it.

I have an allergic reaction to mosquito bites and have to stay on allergy medicines during the season to avoid negative reactions and insane itching. If you are worried, I would carry bug spray or wipes and be sure to wet any exposed areas and even spray your shirts and hats. Otherwise, I wouldn't let it stop you from having a great experience.

A little bit. We are on a Western in November visiting key west, Cozumel , grand Cayman and cc. We will pack bug spray, and I plan to include insect repellant wipes in my Fe cabin gifts. It won't keep us from doing excursions but we won't skip the repellant.

That is a wonderful idea for FE gifts!

Usually cruise stops at port are a 8a - 5p type schedule so since it's during the day you don't have a big mosquito problem. I think if we were hanging on the islands at evening/night it would be much more of a concern.

11 new cases is nothing compared to the thousands currently being spread through the Caribbean. We live in Texas, & have a few cases here, too, but that's nothing compared to what is occurring in the Caribbean and parts of South America. No need for my family to travel there and assume that kind of risk.

To suggest the situation is the same in Florida as in the Caribbean is like saying the chances of getting Ebola were the same here as in west Africa during that crisis, because a few Ebola cases developed here, too. Ridiculous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter