• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zika Cancellation/Deposit lost ... signs that Disney stopped caring

Northerner82

Earning My Ears
m not going to start with how many years i've been travelling to the world as im sure its on par with everyone who accesses these forums, i think it more pertinent that i just start with the issue... Disney has just stopped caring...

We booked to stay at Port Orleans riverside in May 2017 for 9 nights through the Disney website, paid £100 deposit looking to pay the remaining balance nearer the time. This was pre Brexit, Trump, and the aweful nightclub incident. What we knew from the internet was Zika was about, but not really a thing (that was our impression anyways) for the world, and anyway the idea was get back to england get tested and make sure you havent got it and then delay potentially having kids for 8 weeks upon recieving results.

Flashforward and i was given 3 very important pieces of knowledge from credible sources, the logic of the first two of which completely baffles me:
1) there are cases where Zika doesnt present symptoms,
2) you can only get tested if you show multiple symptoms,
3) tests arent widely available to everyone, like a pregnancy test or diabeties test for control, tests are only there for tracking the spread of Zika.

So just incase you missed it you can only get tested, but not for your benefit, if you show symtoms associated with Zika, however its possible that Zika can be contracted without showing symptoms, and therin lies the problem.

So not wanting to take the risk we cancelled our bookings, universal were cool, tickets agency were cool and then disney... oh disney, well they pointed us in the direction of the t's and c's. Im sure some of you reading this will point to the fact that its a deposit and we should understand that a deposit is there to be lost.

But i would argue extraordinary cast members make extraordinary decisions everyday in that park that cost the company cumulatively much more for the sake of good will. New information comes to light that may cause us real health issues and prevent us from having a family, but Disney arent interested. For the sake of a really tiny amount of money to them, they could have made a really significant gesture to us and kept us as loyal customers. Instead they have made us realise just how unimportant the guest experience really is and they have chosen £100 now over thousands in the future.

Even from an economic point of view i wonder what the CFO would consider a good strategy, lose £100 due to goodwill because of a world recognised threat or lose thousands of future revenue due to a symptomatic attitude that nostalgia will keep the masses coming back and the customer as an individual just doesnt matter anymore.

I'm not a Disney apologist but you did know the rules when you put down your deposit. I'm sorry that you feel that it is dangerous to go to Florida over the summer but that is your choice. Disney cannot make exceptions for your fears and it is unreasonable that you expect them to refund your deposit under these circumstances.

The trouble is - what's the point of Disney taking a deposit if there's a way to you can always get it refunded? i.e. if they refund you because of your Zika concerns, then they will have to refund anyone who sights that as a reason. And unfortunately, people would (whether it was a legitimate concern or not) if meant they got their £100 back. So, I'm afraid to say, I completely understand Disney not refunding for this reason. All that being said, if you have some genuine medical change that makes you higher risk, and you have a medical certificate to confirm, then I believe Disney should (and probably would) give you your money back.

I'm not actually sure I completely understand your reason for cancelling and getting your deposit back. Your concerns about the availability of Zika testing are not really an issue. If you are genuinely concerned - you can get tested if you want. There are plenty of private clinics that will do this for you for a nominal charge. Has someone in the travelling party been diagnosed with something that could be complicated by Zika? If so, as above, I'm sure Disney will give the deposit back on production of a medical certificate.

Last edited:
Disney are usually good about moving bookings from one year to the next. Is that an option, things may look different in a years time. I have to say I've not kept fully abreast of Zika situation as I'm not having any more children.

I'm confused why you are canceling due to Zika. There is no CDC warning in Orlando so I can see Disney's stance. I only know US rules but I always thought the deposit was 100% returnable up until a certain date. Is it different for non-us bookings?

I’m confused if the reservation was for a stay in May.
Disney allows room only reservations to be cancelled without penalty up until 5 days prior to check-in.
Vacation packages can be changed or canceled without penalty up until 31 days in advance.
The travel insurance premium is refundable within 14 days after the date the insurance is added to the reservation.

I'm confused why you are canceling due to Zika. There is no CDC warning in Orlando so I can see Disney's stance. I only know US rules but I always thought the deposit was 100% returnable up until a certain date. Is it different for non-us bookings?
As far as I know, there has NEVER been a CDC warning for Zika in Orlando. I personally don't understand the panic over Zika unless you or your partner is pregnant and even then I consider Orlando to be currently safe. If that changes, if the OP (or partner) becomes pregnant *and* the CDC issues a warning for Orlando then the s/he has a leg to stand on. Otherwise, s/he is making a choice based on his or her own fears. Which is OK. But they can't expect Disney to refund a deposit when there is no verified danger.

As far as I know, there has NEVER been a CDC warning for Zika in Orlando. I personally don't understand the panic over Zika unless you or your partner is pregnant and even then I consider Orlando to be currently safe. If that changes, if the OP (or partner) becomes pregnant *and* the CDC issues a warning for Orlando then the s/he has a leg to stand on. Otherwise, s/he is making a choice based on his or her own fears. Which is OK. But they can't expect Disney to refund a deposit when there is no verified danger.

I think some countries said greater Flrodia because of the few cases in Miami. However the CDC has now said Miami is Zika free.

I’m confused if the reservation was for a stay in May.
Disney allows room only reservations to be cancelled without penalty up until 5 days prior to check-in.
Vacation packages can be changed or canceled without penalty up until 31 days in advance.
The travel insurance premium is refundable within 14 days after the date the insurance is added to the reservation.
Yeah I'm confused too. Sounds like a pretty good refund policy to begin with. Really Disney is no different than any other place when it comes to things. They have a refund policy in place. Man the OP makes it sound like they are being forced to travel. Regardless of any money already used for the trip no one is forcing you to go.

Zika seems to be under control in Miami, where it was presenting itself. That is pretty far off from WDW. Also, op, you mentioned the nightclub incident. That could happen anywhere, any time, to anyone. It has happened in many other states but more importantly, in many other countries. If that really bothers you don't travel at all. Trump? Although there is great disagreement in our country about what type of leader he will be I don't think anyone is cancelling plans over it.
You may be able to complain about disney for a lot of things but in this case I don't think they are to blame.

Northerner82, you joined 3 years ago and only have 2 posts, one of which is an unfounded complaint? Why are you here?

I didn’t realize Northern82 was from the UK. Bookings made through the Disney UK portal, at a minimum, incur a £50 per person cancellation charge for resort accommodation and/or Theme Park Tickets if made 56 days out. Deposits and cancellation penalties of this type are standard operating procedure in the UK and not a surprise.

I didn’t realize Northern82 was from the UK. Bookings made through the Disney UK portal, at a minimum, incur a £50 per person cancellation charge for resort accommodation and/or Theme Park Tickets if made 56 days out. Deposits and cancellation penalties of this type are standard operating procedure in the UK and not a surprise.
Still though 56 days is more than enough notice really. Good info though to have in this thread. OP's trip is for May like you brought up so still plenty of time cancel without penalty and if one is worried about Zika you would think you would cancel now versus wait and then complain when it's too late to cancel without a penalty.

to answer the various questions, the UK put out a warning for all of florida, not just miami, so that's probably why the OP cancelled..

as for the cancellations - UK packages are rather draconian in their penalty policy...
i had to change our reservation for next august 2017 by one day - that ONE DAY CHANGE to our THREE WEEK reservation incurred a 50 pound penalty per reservation even though i made the change 10 months in advance...
that doesn't happen with US packages (which i've also purchased in the past)..
the UK packages are very good in comparison to the US packages, but there are some terms and conditions that are much more severe.

to answer the various questions, the UK put out a warning for all of florida, not just miami, so that's probably why the OP cancelled..
Was that a new warning? The one that I was aware of was back in August and only for pregnant visitors.

as for the cancellations - UK packages are rather draconian in their penalty policy...
i had to change our reservation for next august 2017 by one day - that ONE DAY CHANGE to our THREE WEEK reservation incurred a 50 pound penalty per reservation even though i made the change 10 months in advance...
the UK packages are very good in comparison to the US packages, but there are some terms and conditions that are much more severe.
Yeah, that does stink :(.

Was that a new warning? The one that I was aware of was back in August and only for pregnant visitors.

Yeah, that does stink :(.

i don't think there was a new warning, but the OP states it was based on new information regarding zika.
Universal let her off the hook. Disney didn't. But assuming it was disney.uk, i wouldn't expect them to.
Their penalties are very harsh.
and yeah, that totally stinks!!!

It's because your total cost must have gone down.

If you increase the total cost there is no fee.

It's not like Disney have moved the goalposts. They were the T&Cs when booked. I get that the OP is unhappy, but the complaint is unfounded.

OP, I'm sorry you felt you had to cancel your vacation. I can understand using an abundance of caution since the Zika virus can have such dire consequences, and the UK issued a warning for all of Florida. Hopefully Zika has been eradicated in Florida. Time will tell. You can reschedule a future trip when UK lifts the warning. Disney isn't going anywhere.

Cancelling a long anticipated trip is heartbreaking in itself. Losing money on the dream trip that's not going to happen is rubbing salt in the wound. I'm sorry this happened to you.

It's because your total cost must have gone down.

If you increase the total cost there is no fee.

yes of course, but there are no such penalties on US disney packages, only disney.UK....
very draconian penalties....much much much worse than US penalty fees..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter