• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ZOO ~ DISmeet Discussion

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi all ~ I think a DISmeet at the ZOO is an awesome idea! There is a lot of walking which should remind us of the Animal Kingdom. A few years ago, the zoo built an area based on an African theme (can't recall the name, it starts with an "S"). The first year it opened I said to dh, "This has Disney written all over it." They even sold Lion King t-shirts and toys. They don't do that anymore, but it should did remind me of Disney.

We always bring a picnic lunch but the restaurants are better now than they used to be. I like homemade lunches, that way I don't have to stand in line ups.

So let's chat about a date! We can not make it on May 31, June 8, 14 or 15th.

May 11th is Mother's Day ~ the Zoo is not crowded on Mother's Day but the weather might still be cold.

Do you like June better?

What about June7,21,22,28,29, July 5,6? So far these are good dates for us.

What about a time? First thing in the morning?

Thanks! Sandra

I'm looking forward to the zoo meet! I could spend hours watching the Gorillas. I think an early start is good because there is so much to see.

May 31 and June 1 are not good for me as we have a wedding to go to. Don't have any other plans, so far.

It might just be me as I'm not sure if the boys will want to go (I hope so) and Dh will probably want to be out on the golf course.

SERENGETI! Now I remember! It's a great path with elephants, zebra's, lions, etc.,. They even have a hyena named TIGGER! S

At this point, June looks good for us except for Fathers' Day weekend. I think that first thing in the morning is a good idea. The animals are often more active then.

Hi ~ In June, the Zoo opens at 9am ~ shall we say meet at 9am at the globe before the ticket booths? Or even better ~ meet at 9am at the coffee shop inside the Zoo!

Here are things I copied from the Zoo web site: Check out the Safari Simulator, this is news to me!

Camel Rides ($3.50 per rider)
Daily (May – September)
11:00 am – 4:00 pm

Pony Rides ($3.00 per rider)
Daily (May – September)
10:00 am – 7:00 pm
Weather permitting. Sorry, no adults.

Zoomobile All day pass ($5.00 per rider) (ages 4 & older)
(Ages 3 & under and Members – FREE)
Daily (May – September)
10:00 am – 7:00 pm

Safari Simulator Ride
($5.00 per rider)
Kids under 45" must be accompanied by an adult
Weather permitting

Possible dates:

Sat. June 7
Sat. June 21
Sun. June 22
Sat. June 28
Sun. June 29

We will have a raindate? Or just pick one day ~ rain or shine? We have been to the Zoo in all sorts of weather ~ even freezing snow. Rain is okay because of the many pavillions ~ but it hampers the picnic and extra's like camel rides and outdoor stuff.

How does this sound ~ meet at 9am, walk thru the Serengeti area of the Zoo ~ have a picnic lunch around noon or 1pm, continue our walk. It's a BIG place ~ lots to see ~ the Serengeti is very nice ~

Of course we have to see the Gorilla's! Their new home is cool!

I am very curious about the Safari Simulator.

S

Hi Everybody!

Ok, as far as I can tell at this point and time those last mentioned dates are fine with us. There is one weekend that we go to a picnic but would rather meet up with you guys instead!

Remember though June 29, the kids will all be out of school by then so it could be busy! But then I haven't been to the zoo since, well let's just say it was a long time ago!LOL

Talk to you later.

Scratch
:smooth:

How about June 21 or 22? Does anyone prefer Saturdays over Sundays? I like Sundays because they are a lazier day. However, it doesn't really matter to me. THX, S

I prefer a Sunday too, lazier day plus less traffic on the roads, I think. But whatever is best for everyone is okay with me. June sounds good.

After the drive in, a meet first thing at the coffee shop sounds good to me!

The Gorillas have a new home??? I'll look forward to that!

Awwww, I can't go on the ponies? :( Oh well, I'll have to try a camel. Might be the closest I ever get to Egypt! :p

Hi ~ It was quiet the big deal when the Gorilla's moved into their new building. It's very nice!

There is a coffee shop just inside the Admission Gate. Once you enter the Admission Gate, walk to the left and you'll see the coffee shop, it's called Peacock Cafe or Roasters, something like that. They have nice muffins too. We like grabbing a coffee for the walk.

We could meet at 9am at the coffee shop and linger a little, sipping coffee while we wait for the others. Everyone always seems to show up within 15 minutes. An early start will be great. We will cover a lot of ground.

A nice picnic is so refreshing. Apparently, they added a little Splash Pad near the entrance, looks like that's where the Safari Simulator is too. Maybe we could try heading that way for lunch ~ get a little wet if it's a hot day.

The Zoo meet will be awesome! Lots of do ~ and we are the Doer's aren't we! S

That way it will give me Saturday to buystuff for and prepare a picinic basket!

If it's Saturday, it'll be whatever is leftover from the week!YUCK!LOL

But whenever, we will be there!

Scratch
:smooth:

This sounds like so much fun! I'm going to have to tell Dh that it is to be a "family day" so he can't play golf (as long as there isn't a club tournament, which I'm sure he won't give up playing in) and the kids have to come! We had a "family day" last summer and went to the Pinery for a picnic and a walk along the beach. It was just like old times when the kids were small and he didn't play golf yet!

I live within minutes of the Zoo, count me in!!!

Mom might not come too much walking for her, but maybe.

Hi Guys,
Ryleigh and i would love to join you as we have a zoo membership but we are off to England from June 20 - July 13, 2003.
Hope you all have a great meet.... we missed RFC cuz our computer was down so I didn't get the info on time.
She goes horseback riding at CARD every Wednesday and we have to waste 2 hours between afterschool and her session so maybe I'll take her one night for dinner..... but she was terrified at the one in Disney.
Suzanne and Smiley Ryleigh

Hi Suzanne! My MIL was a CARD volunteer a couple of years ago! I hope Ryleigh enjoyes it!

When you get back from the UK, let us know and we'll meet you at the zoo! We are getting a membership again this year. Chat soon! S

Count us in. I haven't been to the zoo in years although we used to have a membership when my son was small. It was a great way to spend the day.

I'd prefer Sunday for the same reason as Scratch42!

Cdnmickeylover

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter