100 pt Direct Blue Card Minimum September 17,2019

The difference between a Gold AP (with 2 weeks blocked for Easter & 2 weeks for Christmas) and General Public Platinum AP is $447.30. That's a $1341 savings for 3 people every year, which makes breakeven at a bit over 5 years (not taking into account any other Blue Card discounts, perks, etc). And after those 5 years, you would likely continue to save for the 35 years remaining on contract, or almost an additional $47,000. Of course, if you don't need/want an AP, resale is the better value - this is just the other side of the coin 😊

The "problem" is that having DVC changes your vacation habits. We bought at first to vacation in late summer, when parks are less crowded and point costs are low. Well, since we bought DVC, we went last Thanksgiving and didn't die, and loved the holiday decorations and the weather, so we booked a Christmas trip for this year. We had previously gone in April before the kids were in school and also loved the weather then, so we went over Easter break this year as well.** Sadly, I have yet to buy a Gold AP, and won't be doing it this coming year because a 10-day trip over Christmas pretty much locks you into Platinum. Our summer trip next year will be covered by the Platinum (which will probably end up being a Platinum Plus since next year we are going back to late August), so the soonest we can actually buy the Gold pass would be 2020 or 2021.

**in the past, before DVC, we'd looked at cash prices over Easter and Christmas and decided not to go during those seasons at all. But somehow when spending points instead of $$$ it feels less painful. A little.

The "problem" is that having DVC changes your vacation habits. We bought at first to vacation in late summer, when parks are less crowded and point costs are low. Well, since we bought DVC, we went last Thanksgiving and didn't die, and loved the holiday decorations and the weather, so we booked a Christmas trip for this year. We had previously gone in April before the kids were in school and also loved the weather then, so we went over Easter break this year as well.** Sadly, I have yet to buy a Gold AP, and won't be doing it this coming year because a 10-day trip over Christmas pretty much locks you into Platinum. Our summer trip next year will be covered by the Platinum (which will probably end up being a Platinum Plus since next year we are going back to late August), so the soonest we can actually buy the Gold pass would be 2020 or 2021.

**in the past, before DVC, we'd looked at cash prices over Easter and Christmas and decided not to go during those seasons at all. But somehow when spending points instead of $$$ it feels less painful. A little.
You're a better person than I am. Our April break is always the same week and we go that week just about every year. When it does not coincide with Easter we have no problem using our DVC points. When it does, we stay at our Marriott timeshare. I just can't bring myself to pay 50-60 points a night for a 1BR.

Wow, I can't believe they just quietly updated the terms and conditions without any annoncements whatsoever, and with only about 3 days notice.
Hadn’t heard of it until i received an email yesterday from one of the bloggers

You're a better person than I am. Our April break is always the same week and we go that week just about every year. When it does not coincide with Easter we have no problem using our DVC points. When it does, we stay at our Marriott timeshare. I just can't bring myself to pay 50-60 points a night for a 1BR.

Unfortunately our April break floats to coincide with Easter and Passover. But we have yet to stay in a 1BR during that time ... last April we were in a studio. It was painful spending the points. We are doing a 1BR over Xmas and we'll see...

I bought 75 points this morning at CCV. I haven’t received anything to sign yet. I did get the email with my activation code, but it said my membership number will be sent with my contract. Should I have already signed something? I paid in full over the phone, not sure if that has something to do with it since there’s no financing involved. ?
We just added on so our points were loaded same day. They offered to overnight the papers but we were headed in town just a few days later so I opted just to sign in person!

Does anyone know if BLT is available? Do I even have time to add the 75 at this point? My plan was to add on direct at the end of Nov, beginning of Dec but I won’t add 100. I’d do it now for 75 though. I’ve been so busy all week so I’m a little late to the game. I purchased 200 BLT resale earlier this summer.

Does anyone know if BLT is available? Do I even have time to add the 75 at this point? My plan was to add on direct at the end of Nov, beginning of Dec but I won’t add 100. I’d do it now for 75 though. I’ve been so busy all week so I’m a little late to the game. I purchased 200 BLT resale earlier this summer.

At this point I’d say just place a call. You have all day tomorrow so you’d pretty much have to make a call in the spot.

You can do it by phone. BLT February use year is available for sure. I should know 😳

You can do it by phone. BLT February use year is available for sure. I should know 😳
That’s exactly what I need! I guess I’m just worried about having just 1 day for all this to go through. I can call, pay over the phone and have it be “official” before receiving and signing any docs???

That’s exactly what I need! I guess I’m just worried about having just 1 day for all this to go through. I can call, pay over the phone and have it be “official” before receiving and signing any docs???

I think so. I was in touch with my guide by phone today, and he said I had time to lock it in if I wanted it. I don’t know if the docs have to be signed before that date or not though. I say call a guide ASAP if you really want it.

I think so. I was in touch with my guide by phone today, and he said I had time to lock it in if I wanted it. I don’t know if the docs have to be signed before that date or not though. I say call a guide ASAP if you really want it.
I called. The guide is going to call me back tomorrow to let me know if the points are available. He said it would be locked in tomorrow if I go ahead with the sale.

The difference between a Gold AP (with 2 weeks blocked for Easter & 2 weeks for Christmas) and General Public Platinum AP is $447.30. That's a $1341 savings for 3 people every year, which makes breakeven at a bit over 5 years (not taking into account any other Blue Card discounts, perks, etc). And after those 5 years, you would likely continue to save for the 35 years remaining on contract, or almost an additional $47,000. Of course, if you don't need/want an AP, resale is the better value - this is just the other side of the coin 😊

Yes, you’re right! I forgot there isn’t a black out option to compare the Gold Pass to. I got in back when 25 was the direct requirement, and the option to have such discounted APs was our tipping point. I don’t know that we’d make the same decision if we had to buy 100 though.

\

Confirmed. Mine too
Hi, just to clarify as I'm late to the game as usual.....is the minimum for folks who have a direct contract currently? For instance could I ask for a 50 point contract and be grandfathered in if I later sell the current contract?

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'm going to keep bringing it up. That discount has been that large for about 3 months. It hasn't always been that large, and planning on it being that large for even 1 year much less 5 or more years is ludicrous.

2 years ago we got that Plat Plus pass for 559 dollars. 3 months ago the difference between the Gold AP and Plat was like half the current discount. Ticket prices have gone up significantly over the last 2 years and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Spending thousands of dollars now for something you a) might not even use, b) could go away at any time is foolish.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'm going to keep bringing it up. That discount has been that large for about 3 months. It hasn't always been that large, and planning on it being that large for even 1 year much less 5 or more years is ludicrous.

2 years ago we got that Plat Plus pass for 559 dollars. 3 months ago the difference between the Gold AP and Plat was like half the current discount. Ticket prices have gone up significantly over the last 2 years and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Spending thousands of dollars now for something you a) might not even use, b) could go away at any time is foolish.
I think one can factor guaranteed savings in year one into the equation, probable savings for year two, and potential savings for years three and four. Anything beyond that is, as stated above, difficult to predict and somewhat unreliable. But just as in my owning vs. renting analysis, you don't need the numbers to be exact for it to make sense. Sometimes you just need to get close and then reap the rewards of owning (in this case owning direct).

That said, as I've stated on here before, I am very bearish on owning DVC right now because I think the numbers have gotten a bit out of whack. But I respect that not everyone feels that way, and for those who might disagree with me on that point, my analysis above I think is helpful and on point. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter