• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

12 Hollywood Studios Rumors (A Disney Rumors video is on pg. 1) and (an update is on pg. 16)

I never really understood what the Streets of America area was for....when the park first opened, was there something there? I didn't see HS (MGM) until 1997 so I don't know if I missed anything...
But it's such a HUGE waste of space!!! I mean, it's nice for Osborne lights, but still! What does it do the rest of the year!?!

Anyone? McFly?

I never really understood what the Streets of America area was for....when the park first opened, was there something there? I didn't see HS (MGM) until 1997 so I don't know if I missed anything...
But it's such a HUGE waste of space!!! I mean, it's nice for Osborne lights, but still! What does it do the rest of the year!?!

Anyone? McFly?

New York Street and Washington Square were parts of the production facilities in the Backlot. It became a public area when MuppetVision opened and they were planning the Muppet Studios. I'm not sure how much later the Premiere Theatre opened, with the Hunchback Show among others, but that is where the flat drawing of San Francisco is now, forming The Streets of America.

2001: http://florida-project.com/images/guidebook/DS/2001v2/disney-mgm-studios-guidemap-mid-2001-09.jpg
Nov 2003: http://florida-project.com/images/guidebook/DS/2003/disney-mgm-studios-guidemap-nov-2003-09.jpg
Oct 2004: http://florida-project.com/images/guidebook/DS/2004v1/disney-mgm-studios-guidemap-oct-2004-04.jpg

Anyone? McFly?
What the PP said is correct. I do agree that it is somewhat of a wasted space they could do something with it but its part of the original hollywood studios theme. That area was supposed to show you what sets look like in studios in hollywood hence the name hollywood studios. I'll be the first one to say DHS needs new things but the more they take away the less theme their is. DHS looks like it is starting to become lets throw whatever in there type place. Star wars works because it was such a huge movie blockbuster.

The perfect ride to add would be "Journey to the Center of the Earth," like the one in Tokyo. If you haven't seen the video of this ride, check it out on youtube. It's a cool dark ride and thrill ride. Something for everyone. I doubt many people here will be fortunate enough to travel to Japan to ride it. So let's build it here. I hope Disney is listening. :smokin:

The perfect ride to add would be "Journey to the Center of the Earth," like the one in Tokyo. If you haven't seen the video of this ride, check it out on youtube. It's a cool dark ride and thrill ride. Something for everyone. I doubt many people here will be fortunate enough to travel to Japan to ride it. So let's build it here. I hope Disney is listening. :smokin:
Disney doesn't have rights to that they don't own Tokyo disney. Things that are specifically built and designed for TDL are a lot harder to bring to USA than your think. Disney imagineers do work on what is built there but its a much difference situation. At WDW disney has all of the control at TDL disney has like 40%.

This isn't my original idea as someone on here talked about the concept a bit over the winter, but what they should do with the Streets of America -

Build real buildings where they could, but keep the facades. Looks like maybe they can do it in the triangle between NY Street and SF Street, and where Studios Catering and Honey I Shrunk the Kids is. Put in a few QS restaurants where they can, highlighting different U.S. regional foods. Also maybe do a food truck or a couple of authentic street food vendor carts up closer to the large NY facade.

With the facades kept in place, they can still do the Osborne Lights there, and the eateries will draw people back there. Just some quick thinking here, but they can do a QS noodle/asian food place, a NY style deli, a coffee shop/desserts shop, etc.

Then when you build out Star Wars Galaxy, build an Endor-style play area to replace the Honey I Shrunk the Kids area.

Build real buildings where they could, but keep the facades. Looks like maybe they can do it in the triangle between NY Street and SF Street, and where Studios Catering and Honey I Shrunk the Kids is. Put in a few QS restaurants where they can, highlighting different U.S. regional foods. Also maybe do a food truck or a couple of authentic street food vendor carts up closer to the large NY facade.

With the facades kept in place, they can still do the Osborne Lights there, and the eateries will draw people back there. Just some quick thinking here, but they can do a QS noodle/asian food place, a NY style deli, a coffee shop/desserts shop, etc.

Some very good food ideas, but what this park needs most is attractions. People are rushing like Zombies searching for brains in the direction of Toy Story. I think that the Left Side needs something big because Star Tours just isn't enough to make people change their direction.

If it does stay the same though hot dog-like carts would be a good cheap option for extra food locations.

Some very good food ideas, but what this park needs most is attractions. People are rushing like Zombies searching for brains in the direction of Toy Story. I think that the Left Side needs something big because Star Tours just isn't enough to make people change their direction.

If it does stay the same though hot dog-like carts would be a good cheap option for extra food locations.

Oh yes, something featuring regional favorites from around the country would be fun. Maine Lobster rolls, Philly Cheesteaks, Jambalaya, Memphis BBQ, Chicago Pizza / beef sandwiches, Texas Style brisket, Green Chiles from New Mexico, Salmon from the Pacific Northwest.

The Studios is adrift right now; they need to decide on an overall theme and go for it, even if it means a major overhaul of the park. When it first opened, it was focused more on Hollywood and movie-making but that has been diminished so much over the years that it's silly (in my opinion) to even keep "studios" in the name of the park.

Disney has huge franchises to play with in Star Wars and Indiana Jones. They'd be smart to take advantage any while they can. I would not want to see a Crush ride here (more Nemo, really?) or Incredibles, which is kind of forgettable. Star Wars, I think, is where the $$$ will be and where they can fight Harry Potter at Universal.

Personally, I don't think Indiana Jones is relevant enough to the younger generation any more for them to invest big money in a ride. I would also doubt that you are going to see another Indiana Jones movie unless it is possibly a reboot. I am personally a big Dr. Jones fan but I am also a realist. I mean, US continues to expand on the Harry Potter theme but that is still relatively fresh and youth-oriented compared to Indy.

I think the park will turn into a Star Wars themed park. Star Wars is a huge franchise, bigger than Harry Potter, IMO. Especially with the 3 new films that are guaranteed to be made and the fact that Disney owns everything Star Wars related. I think a thrill park type Star Wars park with authenticate theming would kill the Harry Potter momentum without Disney needing to think about a 5th gate.

I would not want to see ... Incredibles, which is kind of forgettable.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I love the Incredibles and have actually been pleasantly surprised to see a lot of talk out there by similarly minded folks. They have announced a sequel and are re-doing the original in 3D, so the Incredibles will remain relevant for quite a while. Plus, it's a movie that has appeal for boys and girls, which is always a plus. Pixar generally has that appeal, so it's a great "counter" to Star Wars, which while it has plenty of die-hard female fans, is probably geared more toward males. DHS could use plenty of both.

In my own little dream world of what a DHS "Pixar Land" area would look like (that I've obviously spent way too much time thinking about), we'd have:

1. Incredibles-themed "standing" coaster (where we'd feel like we were sort of running like Dash, surfing ice like Frozone or riding rocket shoes like Syndrome).
2. Monsters-themed "hanging" ride (the door idea, with a cross between a coaster and a Peter Pan-style ride through the Monsters, Inc., factory, including the door room where the ride speeds up a fair bit).
3. The Ratatouille dark ride from Disneyland Paris (or change it to a boat ride based on the rats' escape from the old lady's house early in the movie and ending up in Paris near Gusteau's).
4. Re-themed playground from HISTK to Bug's Life.
5. New-and-improved Pizza Planet Arcade (update menu with a variety of pizza-themed foods, including breakfast pizza, given the severe lack of quick service breakfast options at DHS).
6. Re-named Mama Melrose's -- switch it to Linguini's, based on Gusteau's son from Ratatouille...and allow Remy to make his tiny animatronic appearances here since he got the boot from Chefs de France last year...but with Linguini as half-Italian, there is no need to totally re-theme the menu, although could add a few French items to pull it together.
7. Pixar store.
8. Mr. Potato's Head (new potato-based snack/quick service, with baked potato bar, variety of fries, tots, hash browns, "nachos" (chili, cheese, etc.), mashed potato cones, and more).

And of course, with this expanded Pixar Land that just happens to include a concentration of pasta and potatoes (for all of us to "carb up"), it's only logical that runDisney would add a new race back in Florida with a Pixar theme. The race name? The Pixar Pentathlon, which would include a five-mile run(Dash/Incredibles), a "shooting" event (utilizing your score on a ride through TSMM), an obstacle course through the playground (Bug's Life), archery (Brave), and a scavenger hunt around the park (e.g., finding characters from various Pixar movies). Each event has a separate score/time that are somehow combined into one final score. Completion of all five events allows participants entry to the finish line area (aptly named "Paradise Falls"), where there would be food from the Pixar Land restaurants - pizza, pasta and potatoes. Finisher medals would be a small replica of the Piston Cup.

...and save some room for Star Wars Land, too, of course.

Now, if I just had a budget and a fleet of Imagineers to work with...

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I love the Incredibles and have actually been pleasantly surprised to see a lot of talk out there by similarly minded folks. They have announced a sequel and are re-doing the original in 3D, so the Incredibles will remain relevant for quite a while. Plus, it's a movie that has appeal for boys and girls, which is always a plus. Pixar generally has that appeal, so it's a great "counter" to Star Wars, which while it has plenty of die-hard female fans, is probably geared more toward males. DHS could use plenty of both. In my own little dream world of what a DHS "Pixar Land" area would look like (that I've obviously spent way too much time thinking about), we'd have: 1. Incredibles-themed "standing" coaster (where we'd feel like we were sort of running like Dash, surfing ice like Frozone or riding rocket shoes like Syndrome). 2. Monsters-themed "hanging" ride (the door idea, with a cross between a coaster and a Peter Pan-style ride through the Monsters, Inc., factory, including the door room where the ride speeds up a fair bit). 3. The Ratatouille dark ride from Disneyland Paris (or change it to a boat ride based on the rats' escape from the old lady's house early in the movie and ending up in Paris near Gusteau's). 4. Re-themed playground from HISTK to Bug's Life. 5. New-and-improved Pizza Planet Arcade (update menu with a variety of pizza-themed foods, including breakfast pizza, given the severe lack of quick service breakfast options at DHS). 6. Re-named Mama Melrose's -- switch it to Linguini's, based on Gusteau's son from Ratatouille...and allow Remy to make his tiny animatronic appearances here since he got the boot from Chefs de France last year...but with Linguini as half-Italian, there is no need to totally re-theme the menu, although could add a few French items to pull it together. 7. Pixar store. 8. Mr. Potato's Head (new potato-based snack/quick service, with baked potato bar, variety of fries, tots, hash browns, "nachos" (chili, cheese, etc.), mashed potato cones, and more). And of course, with this expanded Pixar Land that just happens to include a concentration of pasta and potatoes (for all of us to "carb up"), it's only logical that runDisney would add a new race back in Florida with a Pixar theme. The race name? The Pixar Pentathlon, which would include a five-mile run(Dash/Incredibles), a "shooting" event (utilizing your score on a ride through TSMM), an obstacle course through the playground (Bug's Life), archery (Brave), and a scavenger hunt around the park (e.g., finding characters from various Pixar movies). Each event has a separate score/time that are somehow combined into one final score. Completion of all five events allows participants entry to the finish line area (aptly named "Paradise Falls"), where there would be food from the Pixar Land restaurants - pizza, pasta and potatoes. Finisher medals would be a small replica of the Piston Cup. ...and save some room for Star Wars Land, too, of course. Now, if I just had a budget and a fleet of Imagineers to work with...
We all wish we had our hands in imagineering and WDW but all we can do is dream I guess. I like your ideas and incredibles and monster inc have been considered for WDW for some time just never got the green light. Rumors are that they gave DCA the green light for minsters tho. I also liked the incredibles and wished they did a bit more with it, I'm excited to see the sequel.

1 - Crush Coaster

I half agree with the poster that said Crush Coaster shouldn't be made. "Finding Nemo" already has 2 attractions in Disney World. They should probably go with another film. I personally hope that they go with "Up" or "Wall-E" instead of "Nemo".

But the other half says "Hey it's better than the Backlot Tour." I know it's in 2 parks already, but it does look like a lot of fun.

Hollywood studios needs a Crush coaster, a Monsters in coaster, new indiana jones ride from tokyo, a cars land and a Star wars Land. Everything else should be kept like it is except some of the unused buildings or buildings like sounds dangerous and american idol.------lol yes I hate HS LOL

Hollywood studios needs a Crush coaster, a Monsters in coaster, new indiana jones ride from tokyo, a cars land and a Star wars Land. Everything else should be kept like it is except some of the unused buildings or buildings like sounds dangerous and american idol.------lol yes I hate HS LOL
That would be one of the largest if not the largest expansions to a disney park. I don't think DHS has that much room either. Yes that park needs more but not that much. I say keep cars in DCA something unique for that park. Now for DGS to stay Unique you give it a huge Star Wars land expansion. And maybe after Star Wars your next step is Pixar.

You realize I am joking right ? :confused3 It was tongue in cheek. There is no way all of that would happen.:rotfl2: It would practically be a whole new park LOL

It would be nice of course, but its so much its ridiculous.

I still dont get the " lets keep the parks unique " thing.

Cars land is no way going to entice me to go to the California resort . But a cars land in orlando ( I live in Tampa ) would cause me to give HS a second thought about skipping that park .

In all honesty, magic kingdom has like 40 rides or something like that, right ? and the other parks, about half of the MK number. I think the other parks need to be about the same in the number of rides. But that is just my opinion.

You realize I am joking right ? :confused3 It was tongue in cheek. There is no way all of that would happen.:rotfl2: It would practically be a whole new park LOL It would be nice of course, but its so much its ridiculous. I still dont get the " lets keep the parks unique " thing. Cars land is no way going to entice me to go to the California resort . But a cars land in orlando ( I live in Tampa ) would cause me to give HS a second thought about skipping that park . In all honesty, magic kingdom has like 40 rides or something like that, right ? and the other parks, about half of the MK number. I think the other parks need to be about the same in the number of rides. But that is just my opinion.
Disneyland has the most rides in any of the us parks I believe its in the 40s MK is next high 30s ish than DCA next Epcot with around 15 and than DHS and AK with about 7. That shows park attendance right there. People are going where the rides are. The two parks with the fewest rides have the lowest park attendance. Adding Star Wars at DHS would bring in a lot more people than cars that why I think they will go that route. I'm all for either but Star Wars makes the most sense. AK is getting avatar which is supposed to bring in 1-2 rides depending on who you believe. Adding all of those things you said would put DHS up to MK par almost. Disney would never add that much all at once but they need to do something everyone can agree with that.

Disneyland has the most rides in any of the us parks I believe its in the 40s MK is next high 30s ish than DCA next Epcot with around 15 and than DHS and AK with about 7. That shows park attendance right there. People are going where the rides are. The two parks with the fewest rides have the lowest park attendance. Adding Star Wars at DHS would bring in a lot more people than cars that why I think they will go that route. I'm all for either but Star Wars makes the most sense. AK is getting avatar which is supposed to bring in 1-2 rides depending on who you believe. Adding all of those things you said would put DHS up to MK par almost. Disney would never add that much all at once but they need to do something everyone can agree with that.

I think that AK and DHS have low ride counts as they were never designed to have a large number of rides.
Animal Kingdom has the two walking trails plus the other animals around the Tree of Life therefore rides take second place to animals. But I agree it needs more to keep people in the park into the evening.

The original Disney-MGM studios backstage tour took 2-3 hours as the tram went around the old residential street then the city streets (which are now walk-around areas) then you did a walking tour of the soundstages (which are no longer used so house TSMM and other attractions). Unfortunately now it isn't a working studio any more they need to invest in new attractions to bring the park up to date. and demolish the old studio tour section, maybe keep and expand the walk-though with the submarine water flood but there is nothing worth seeing on the tram anymore!

I don't believe the rumors, but the rides do sound pretty good. I would love to do the Crush Coaster. I'll never go to France because I don't like French people. So it would be nice to have one in the United States.

Why don't you like French people? Where in France have you been?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter