1957 vs. 2011

Great post!!! We forget that we have made things more difficult in life. I really feel for those who think that the world owes them. Owes them because that do not have a high paying job, a nice house, a new car. Money for vacations. Money for dinner out. They blame people that have worked hard to grow a business and are now millionaires. They think that that person should share.
Yet these are the same people that have money for the daily smokes, the beer and the time to stand in the free line. They are the ones that can do better if they applied themselves. They are the ones that blame things on race.

I have a good job that I enjoy. I make good money. This never would have happened in 1957 because I don't have a *****.

And for those people who work hard to grow a business and are now millionaires??? How about if they pay the same tax rate that millionaires paid back in 1957 - guess they won't be thinking it's the good old days anymore, will they?

Because, according to the fairy tale from 1957, even though he can't sit still, breaks windows, and gets into fights, he goes to college and becomes a successful businessman. Would you like me to guess what race Pedro is now?

Johnny was punished for his mis deeds and learned his lesson. Pedro was let down by modern society and was not made to learn English. In 1957 he would have learned English along with the many, many other students who did not know the language and learned English and got on well. The thing lucky for Pedro is that in 2011 he gets a free college education not knowing the language. Johnny is paying for it.

I think we're overthinking things nowadays.

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2011 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

The good old days. We did take rifles to school, no problem. I can remember walking down the township roads in PA with AR15's and other guns, the police would pass us and wave hello. I feel sorry for kids growing up today the way things are.

I'm sorry, I'm trying to conjure up "Columbine-style School Rampage Shootings" of yesteryear, and I'm coming up empty. Maybe you can help me out. :confused3

Do you mean hot or scalding, there is a difference. Read the McDonalds case it is not as clear cut as you may think.
She put the coffee cup between her knees and pulled the lid off at which point she got splashed by very hot coffee over herself.

I'm sorry, I'm trying to conjure up "Columbine-style School Rampage Shootings" of yesteryear, and I'm coming up empty. Maybe you can help me out. :confused3

That wasn't a "kids bringing weapons to school" problem. That was a "kids are psychopathic" problem. Believe me, even with the "new rules," if someone wants to shoot up a school full of people, they will do it. Nothing will stop them. Well, nothing but their own stupidity (like talking about it with a lot of people beforehand - and those are the kids that want to be caught).

That wasn't a "kids bringing weapons to school" problem. That was a "kids are psychopathic" problem. Believe me, even with the "new rules," if someone wants to shoot up a school full of people, they will do it. Nothing will stop them. Well, nothing but their own stupidity (like talking about it with a lot of people beforehand - and those are the kids that want to be caught).

You're probably right. After all, all those kids with shotguns hangin' in the back window of their trucks are probably a deterrent. Hell, maybe they'll join the police in takin' out the "psychopathic kids". :confused3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

The Bath School disaster is the name given to three bombings in Bath Township, Michigan, on May 18, 1927, which killed 38 elementary school children, two teachers, four other adults and the bomber himself; at least 58 people were injured. Most of the victims were children in the second to sixth grades (7–12 years of age) attending the Bath Consolidated School. Their deaths constitute the deadliest act of mass murder in a school in U.S. history. The perpetrator was school board member Andrew Kehoe, aged 55, who was ostensibly upset by a property tax levied to fund the construction of the school building. He blamed the additional tax for financial hardships which led to foreclosure proceedings against his farm. These events apparently provoked Kehoe to plan his attack. He died in the bombing.

Not done by kids... but just showing all was not necessarily better in the past....

This thread started with racist undertones, and now we've moved on to blatant racism. Very disturbing.

Yawn. The race card is thrown around so often these days it has absolutely no meaning anymore. I hear the word "racist" and I am automatically rolling my eyes and tuning out. It's so tiring. Now, when real, actual racism happens, no one will believe it.

Shame on everyone who misused, and continues to misuse, this term.

She put the coffee cup between her knees and pulled the lid off at which point she got splashed by very hot coffee over herself.

FYI, the facts of the case (from Center for Justice & Democracy):

THE "MCDONALD'S COFFEE CASE" AND OTHER FICTIONS

The “McDonald’s coffee” case. We have all heard it: a woman spills McDonald's coffee, sues and gets $3 million. Here are the facts of this widely misreported and misunderstood case:

Stella Liebeck, 79 years old, was sitting in the passenger seat of her grandson’s car having purchased a cup of McDonald’s coffee. After the car stopped, she tried to hold the cup securely between her knees while removing the lid. However, the cup tipped over, pouring scalding hot coffee onto her. She received third-degree burns over 16 percent of her body, necessitating hospitalization for eight days, whirlpool treatment for debridement of her wounds, skin grafting, scarring, and disability for more than two years. Morgan, The Recorder, September 30, 1994. Despite these extensive injuries, she offered to settle with McDonald’s for $20,000. However, McDonald’s refused to settle. The jury awarded Liebeck $200,000 in compensatory damages -- reduced to $160,000 because the jury found her 20 percent at fault -- and $2.7 million in punitive damages for McDonald’s callous conduct. (To put this in perspective, McDonald's revenue from coffee sales alone is in excess of $1.3 million a day.) The trial judge reduced the punitive damages to $480,000. Subsequently, the parties entered a post-verdict settlement. According to Stella Liebeck’s attorney, S. Reed Morgan, the jury heard the following evidence in the case:

•By corporate specifications, McDonald's sells its coffee at 180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit;
•Coffee at that temperature, if spilled, causes third-degree burns (the skin is burned away down to the muscle/fatty-tissue layer) in two to seven seconds;
•Third-degree burns do not heal without skin grafting, debridement and whirlpool treatments that cost tens of thousands of dollars and result in permanent disfigurement, extreme pain and disability of the victim for many months, and in some cases, years
•The chairman of the department of mechanical engineering and bio-mechanical engineering at the University of Texas testified that this risk of harm is unacceptable, as did a widely recognized expert on burns, the editor in chief of the leading scholarly publication in the specialty, the Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation;
•McDonald's admitted that it has known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years -- the risk was brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits, to no avail;
•From 1982 to 1992, McDonald's coffee burned more than 700 people, many receiving severe burns to the genital area, perineum, inner thighs, and buttocks;
•Not only men and women, but also children and infants, have been burned by McDonald's scalding hot coffee, in some instances due to inadvertent spillage by McDonald's employees;
•At least one woman had coffee dropped in her lap through the service window, causing third-degree burns to her inner thighs and other sensitive areas, which resulted in disability for years;
•Witnesses for McDonald's admitted in court that consumers are unaware of the extent of the risk of serious burns from spilled coffee served at McDonald's required temperature;
•McDonald's admitted that it did not warn customers of the nature and extent of this risk and could offer no explanation as to why it did not;
•McDonald's witnesses testified that it did not intend to turn down the heat -- As one witness put it: “No, there is no current plan to change the procedure that we're using in that regard right now;”
•McDonald's admitted that its coffee is “not fit for consumption” when sold because it causes severe scalds if spilled or drunk;
•Liebeck's treating physician testified that her injury was one of the worst scald burns he had ever seen.

You missed the point. Coffee, by nature, is hot (unless you're ordering it iced). You should be careful with hot things. You spilling coffee on your person is your fault. Not anyone else's. If you get burned, it's life...not a windfall of cash.

So then McDonald's got sued because someone was too stupid to know not to put a hot cup of coffee between their legs and wrestle with the lid.

That's exactly how I thought of it when it first happened. Glad to know I was spot on. :)

You missed the point. Coffee, by nature, is hot (unless you're ordering it iced). You should be careful with hot things. You spilling coffee on your person is your fault. Not anyone else's. If you get burned, it's life...not a windfall of cash.

Nope, didn't miss the point. Coffee: should be served hot. Coffee: shouldn't be served SO hot that if you do spill it you end up with third-degree burns requiring eight days in a hospital and multiple skin grafts. And if you do spill ridiculously hot coffee on yourself and have to spend eight days in a hospital and require multiple skin grafts, the multi-trillion dollar company that served you that ridiculously hot coffee should at least pay for your medical bills or settle for the measly $20,000 you originally sued for.

The coffee served isn't even as hot as the coffee you brew at home. Why aren't there more instances of people scalding themselves with home brewed coffee? Because they aren't sitting in a car with it between their knees and trying to open a lid. THAT isn't McDonald's fault.

Thanks for sharing that.. Having grown up in the 50's, I was able to enjoy the humor in it..:thumbsup2

I can't wait to see how much people will complain in 25 years... Just imagine what kind of things will have changed by then.

I understand this was supposed to be funny. And I do think it has some merit, I also agree that some of the 'rules' in todays society are a bit nutty. Of course where I live kids were surfing before school, not hunting, and had their boards in the back of their trucks. Not guns. Either way - why would you WANT to get up that early...? :crazy2:

Seriously though, my point is that every generation/time in history has it's own problems. 2011 AND 1957 have their good and bad points. And while 1957 seems less complicated compared to today, I doubt it really was.

Just like I can't stand much of the backward social thinking that is still harbored in our country. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. You have to learn how to take the bad with the good. :goodvibes

Because, according to the fairy tale from 1957, even though he can't sit still, breaks windows, and gets into fights, he goes to college and becomes a successful businessman. Would you like me to guess what race Pedro is now?

Exactly. I cannot believe the short sightedness of the OP and those that laugh at this. Acklander, you called it.

Those of you that laugh and scoff, you are really showing your prejudices. I am shocked. By tolerating that behavior, we are condoning your viewpoints. I am not. I was not going to get involved in this, but I decided to take a stand and tell you that this is inappropiate and offensive. If we were within earshot and my child heard your off color joke and all that it implies, you better believe I would raise a stink.

Really, you think that in 1957 all kids in highschool had the same options open to them? In 1957 segregation was still in full swing and the Civil Rights Act was not signed for another SEVEN years. The federal government HAD to get involved, because until then private businesses and public services could discriminate - and they did. Think about that - we had to have a FEDERAL LAW enacted less than 50 years ago to officially say that all people should be afforded the same rights (and, it could be argued, some still do not have equal rights).

Let's not even get into the gun toting teenagers. You can keep your gun, locked and safely stowed. That is not infringing on your rights, it is protecting mine and ensuring I don't get killed. They go both ways, rights and responsibilities.

Please, save your energy. Don't feel sorry for my kid growing up today. She is doing just fine and has way more opportunity than 60 years ago, thank you very much.

I think a lot of you are missing the point, it is not saying that the 50's were perfect, it is saying that people were able to handle things more reasonably back then--common sense prevailed more than political correctness. The mindframe that this email is alluding to shows up here every single day. Someone's child has issues at school and there is always a handful of people telling that person to "go to the school board" over a simple issue that should be handled with the teacher-at most. EVERYTHING is a major issue these days. Sometimes the best course of action is no action yet there are so many people here that think you have to micromanage every aspect of their children's lives. THAT is what this is talking about.

I do have to say, though, the people on the whole today are far less "community" oriented then they were even 20 years ago. People are much more all about themselves then they are about the greater good. It's all about how much can I get for ME or my kids and forget the rest of the people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter