1957 vs. 2011

Yes, we all know that there are no stupid judges out there...or any that are swayed by the promise of the spotlight on a high profile case.

And who the hell writes checks nowadays? What are you, like 80? ;)

You are right, It is the 21st century and the butthole method is much more efficient.

"I was just kidding" is often used by people who want to say something mean or stupid.

The good old days. We did take rifles to school, no problem. I can remember walking down the township roads in PA with AR15's and other guns, the police would pass us and wave hello. I feel sorry for kids growing up today the way things are.

While I think that anything taken to the extreme is silly, I personally like 2011. I want to know that there are no guns in my kids' school. I like modern conveniences. I like the fashion and the music of the 50's, but beyond that, I prefer the 21st century, thankyouverymuch.

While I think that anything taken to the extreme is silly, I personally like 2011. I want to know that there are no guns in my kids' school. I like modern conveniences. I like the fashion and the music of the 50's, but beyond that, I prefer the 21st century, thankyouverymuch.

The problem is that you don't know that there are no guns in your kids school. Just because the rules say there aren't, doesn't mean that is what happens. Just like drugs, the weapons are there.

1957. Bobby tells a joke. People laugh.

2011. Joke is posted on a large internet message board. Within hours, 7 pages of posts discussing various ways joke might offend or be inaccurate accumulate.

Whoa....WHOOOOOAAAA!

Did you just call me fat?

It's 1957 and everything is fine with Johnny - not because he can bring weapons to school, share aspirin with the principal, and get into fights - but because Johnny is a white male and the world is his oyster - and it wouldn't matter if Pedro went to summer school or not - because he's still Pedro.
As a woman, I much prefer 2011 thank you, very much.

It's 1957 and everything is fine with Johnny - not because he can bring weapons to school, share aspirin with the principal, and get into fights - but because Johnny is a white male and the world is his oyster - and it wouldn't matter if Pedro went to summer school or not - because he's still Pedro.

How do you know that Johnny is white?

This made me puke LOLs all over my keyboard. I love the shortsightedness here.

Hmmmm, interesting look from the conservative POV. But it's just that...conservative.

First, I can't take credit for this post...just saw it and thought it was pretty apropros. Second, I wasn't born in the 50's, so for you to label me as such is presumptious at best and idiotic at worst. And my generation is NOW, so glad to hear the optimism in your voice about what we will do.

Your point is clear - you are a shortsighted, myopic person that can't stand to think that there are actually problems with all of the affirmative action committees, labels and protection for kids that need nothing more than a swift kick in the posterior, overprotective adults that freak out at the slightest inconvenience that their child has to suffer. Hope your 'princess' enjoys living in her bubble.

Seriously, there have been problems throughout the ages and no one time period is perfect. However, I think the point of this post is to show how ridiculous things are when taken to the extreme.

Take Tylenol for any headaches....Midol for any cramps.

Haha. Love Tommy Boy.

How do you know that Johnny is white?

Because, according to the fairy tale from 1957, even though he can't sit still, breaks windows, and gets into fights, he goes to college and becomes a successful businessman. Would you like me to guess what race Pedro is now?

Didn't we just have a discussion similar to this?

Regardless, it is clear that it is very satisfying assuming that things were better in the past, but the reality is almost surely the exact opposite. I suspect that that assumption is fostered firstly by the fact that we humans are never quite satisfied with anything, so disparaging the present helps foster that sense of indignation. Another aspect of this is that a large minority of folks actually were better off in the past, and generally aren't factoring into their appraisal that so many other people are better off now.

As for the guns at school, here is an actual 1962 newspaper article about my dad and uncle... names and addresses fictionalized.. actual NJ newspaper article

George 13, and Richard 16 of 100 Baytown Road, return home after hunting at the swamp of Board Street. They got three black birds and one Starling. Richard an 11th grade student at XXXX school is taking a course in Taxidermy and will mount the starling as a school project. George is a 7th grade at XXXX school. The photo was taken at the school yard of XXXX school.

The picture is hilarious.. they are both at the school yard with guns over their shoulder...acting so nonchalant..

BTW.. my dad is "George"

Great post!!! We forget that we have made things more difficult in life. I really feel for those who think that the world owes them. Owes them because that do not have a high paying job, a nice house, a new car. Money for vacations. Money for dinner out. They blame people that have worked hard to grow a business and are now millionaires. They think that that person should share.
Yet these are the same people that have money for the daily smokes, the beer and the time to stand in the free line. They are the ones that can do better if they applied themselves. They are the ones that blame things on race.

Great post!!! We forget that we have made things more difficult in life. I really feel for those who think that the world owes them. Owes them because that do not have a high paying job, a nice house, a new car. Money for vacations. Money for dinner out. They blame people that have worked hard to grow a business and are now millionaires. They think that that person should share.
Yet these are the same people that have money for the daily smokes, the beer and the time to stand in the free line. They are the ones that can do better if they applied themselves. They are the ones that blame things on race.

This thread started with racist undertones, and now we've moved on to blatant racism. Very disturbing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter