1st day trip report from WDW vet

Captainkidd76

DIS Veteran
We hit Disneyland first thing in the morning. It was amazing. The feel of being in the park for the 1st time ever was incredible. We got on Snow White, Pinnochio (loved both), Mr. Toad, Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Pirates, HM, within the first 2 hours. I was in love with the rides. We left after lunch to go for a swim. That was a mistake. We went back to the park about 4:00 to find the lines to get in backed up to DCA. Upon getting into the park, yeah, it wasn't for us. I've been to the Magic Kingdom hundreds of times and never once seen such absolute chaos. We literally could not move in Adventureland, New Orleans Square or Tomorrowland. Waits were long, but no worse than Magic Kingdom. MaxPass worked great. Bottom line, it's just way too packed. The park is too small to handle the crowds it draws. Every section of the park was like Main Street at MK after fireworks in the summer. Ropes everywhere. CM'S holding up signs showing where the lines begin. We're here until Saturday. We're going to hit the park as soon as it opens, run from one ride to another, get the heck out of there after lunch, go back to watch the fireworks and that's it. It's a shame. There are so many nooks and crannies to explore, and it was nearly impossible because of the crowds. I can see why people would prefer DL to the MK. If it's not packed like it was, it's got to be amazing. But my God, I still can't believe how difficult it was to navigate this evening.

We went this past April. We too are WDW vets. Like you the morning was a breeze and we knocked out so many rides that I was very pleased with the progress. We were saving the Fantasy land rides until the next day, when we had a magic morning. With our progress we slowed down in the afternoon. Things started getting a bit more crowded in the evening but we had a reservation to Carthay Circle. Coming out of the restaurant I felt like a nice Fantasyland ride would be good for the digestion.

Then the horror commenced.

We got caught up in the evening crowds around firework time. Its been a looooong time since I felt such a crush of people. It was impossible to move, or even to raise my arms. My sister was with me and had not wanted to go on a ride after dinner. I felt terrible being responsible for having caused her to deal with these terrible crowds. The crowds were so bad we struggled to get free and just left the park. Once the AP crowd gets off work, all bets are completely off. Best to just catch other sides in Anaheim. I'm serious.

I don't know if it's the lay of the land, the roped off areas for Fantasmic or what, but the crush of bodies can not be safe. Again, I've been to the Magic Kingdom when it was in certain stages of closing. Never felt like this. Utter chaos is the only way to describe it.

I don't know if it's the lay of the land, the roped off areas for Fantasmic or what, but the crush of bodies can not be safe...

General rule of thumb that gets repeated here: avoid the NOS area during F! (unless you are going to see the show), but especially when the shows get out. Just saves time, energy, and sanity. If you don't have to be in that area, there are so many other places to be.

Last edited:
We were in DL yesterday from about 9:30am till 10pm ish and I didn't find it bad at all. DCA today was way more busy. We used maxpass yesterday and even with the late start got on so many rides.

I once had to race from NOS to Tomorrowland and back as the first Fantasmic was getting out, immediately before fireworks while the big thunder trail was closed for construction. You haven’t known horror until you’ve attempted that.

We were in DL yesterday from about 9:30am till 10pm ish and I didn't find it bad at all. DCA today was way more busy. We used maxpass yesterday and even with the late start got on so many rides.

It wasn't the length of lines. Again, yeah some long wait times, but no worse than Magic Kingdom. Adventureland was literally just a parking lot. NOS seems crowded pretty much all the time.

OT - Pirates is so much better at DL, I'm actually surprised that MK's was built the way it was.

Been to both WDW and DL many many times, and it really boils down to DL is just so much smaller so you feel it more. The sidewalks are smaller (I’ve done many half marathons at both and you really feel it then!). We usually stay until 2pm then come back at 6 until close OR ph to DCA. I’ll be there in a week so I know it will be insane, but I know what to expect now too. This is the other reason why DL is only ever a 3 day trip for us, there’s no way I could do the crowds for any longer. Hang in there and have a great time though!

I am wondering if the fact that WOC will be down through much of July will mean that DCA will generally be less crowded at night and of course the reverse for Dland.

I am wondering if the fact that WOC will be down through much of July will mean that DCA will generally be less crowded at night and of course the reverse for Dland.

True about people not watching WOC, but I'm also thinking that having WOC down means that the pier rides that close during WOC will be open the whole time. A lot of folks prefer rides to shows, so maybe this will disperse the riders better across the parks later at night when WOC would have taken place? (Wishful thinking, I'm sure, but we're going to be at DLR in July!)

According to the Disneyland website, this Mon-Weds (June 18-20) are the last three days that Southern California Select passholders can use their annual passes until August 20th.
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/

Those last days are always packed- we have been there before for that last week more than once. Everyone is trying to get that last visit in before they are blocked for the summer. When we have been there that week it was wonderful crowd-wise Saturday and Sunday when the passes were blocked and then absolutely crazy crowded Monday and Tuesday. The good thing is that you say you are there through Saturday--- Thursday and Friday should be much less crowded than what you experienced yesterday.

Last edited:
This morning wasn't too bad. We hit most things we missed yesterday and redid the mountains. I had a feeling this would be the case, but my favorite rides have been the dark rides. Snow White, Pinnochio, Alice, Roger Rabbit, Mr. Toad have all been awesome. Oddly, the only disappointment is Peter Pan. Effects are great, but way too short. Had lunch at Refreshment Corner (eh), going back via monorail since we have Space Mountain fastpass for 6:30. Having dinner at Pizza Planet. Boys liked it yesterday and I must say, I've had far worse pizza.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter