1st time solo...and a little nervous

hlbean

Earning My Ears
I intended on making my 4th trip to Disney/US & IOA in October. My brother or a friend of mine would have been going with me. However, after lurking around the boards to start gathering information & ideals, I starting realizing October was to far off to wait. So, before I knew it I was clicking "process payment", for my plane ticket departing 2/25/03.

This has to be the most impulsive thing I've ever done. Of course, everyone thinks I'm crazy to go alone (even the one's who don't say it, the looks on their faces say it all). I'm excited, but nervous, probably mostly about flying alone. I'm really looking forward to being able to do as I please & not having to take 30 mins deciding what to do next (2 of my previous trips were with 8 & 9 people).

I will be staying of site (I get a really good rate, because I work for a hotel chain & for my 6 night stay I'm paying less then $175 including tax). I won't be renting a car because I don't drive. My hotel has comp. service to both Disney & US/IOA. That is the only thing that will kind of dictate my schedule. I will also probably be using the I Ride Trolly @ least the 1 day I don't do a park.

I have 5 total days to "vacation" my flight in is afternoon & out is morning. Any suggestions on how to spend them & what parks on what days. I'm definatley want to do US/IOA, MK & MGM. Since I'll be alone I don't anticipate (or hope anyway) that I won't spend a ton of time standing in lines for the rides. Actually any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Sorry for being so long winded with this thread, but I've been so excited about this and no one seems to want to even discuss it with me...I think they're JEALOUS...(hope I spelled that right :p )

You will love it! One word: FREEDOM. You can do what you want, when you want--it's fantastic.

I still get nervous when I fly alone, too. I take lots to read to keep my mind off the situation.

Congratulations on that great rate off site.

My advice on park touring is to get there early and use FAST PASS as much as possible. I would avoid MK on Saturday because it is a madhouse. Do everything you like, over and over again, especially the things the other people you traveled with did not want to do. I am a Millionaire fan, so I do that one several times a day when I go alone.

If you haven't done so already, get the exact schedule for the transportation provided by your hotel. That will really be the most important factor when doing your planning.

Enjoy, and let us know how it went.

I agree with Lynn, I think you are going to <b>love</b> this experience.

Check about the shuttle schedule ahead of time, it can throw a monkey wrench in your plans. Since you won't be renting a car and are getting your hotel for a very reasonable rate, you might want to consider taking a cab on a couple of the days to get to a park at opening. I don't know how expensive that would be.

When I stayed offsite the shuttle bus did not start running until 8am. By the time it stopped at the other hotels it serviced it was after 9 before we got to a park. If you don't tour commando style then it won't be an issue.

Have fun planning this. I wish I was going to be there in February.

Katholyn

I'd love to hear how your offsite/no car trip works out.

I also work for a hotel chain and can get an employee rate in the same range as you. I actually had two different rooms booked for (the same) 7 nights each, this past May. One was a suite and one had a balcony. I cancelled both, paid three times as much and stayed at the All Stars.

I don't really regret it (on site transporation, Disney atmosphere, security issues...) but wish I was able to get the best of both worlds. I tended to be in the parks from opening to closing, so waiting for a bus that doesn't arrive until after the parks were open would have bothered me.

Please let us know how it goes.

Deb

Your going to have such a great time. I would be a little leary about not having a car simply because I always manage to find time for shopping off grounds (both at DTD and other malls) just to get out and see something not themed. Additionally, I know the last time we went we park hopped a lot, you know, one park morning/afternoon and another park late afternoon/evening. The Hotel we stayed in had specific pick up points and times. I would check into where you would have to catch your bus if you did decide to park hop as the drop offs at each point are different and you have to know what to look out for.

This is just an FYI from personal experience. I don't know if you ever went to US before but I just left there in December and was not impressed (in fact we left the park at about 4:00 p.m and felt that we wasted an entire day there). The old US is just that old. The rides/adventures are few and far in-between the shopping areas and are not on par with the disney parks (Animal Planet was the pits). Don't get me wrong, ET, Twister, MIB are fun but in total there were only 6/7 rides that are worth seeing. However, the opposite applies to IOA. This is a very Disney themed park which has the right conception plan. We did enjoy the entire day there and felt it was worth the price and I would tell anyone to spend the day there. I felt as though I wished I had the one day back spent at the old US in order to use at Sea World, Kennedy Space Center or just another day at Disney.

Anyway, have an absolutely wonderful time by yourself.

you need to decide now what YOU want to do - if you want US/IOA then go there first - I kind of like this place - it is different from WDW. the first time we visited - yes it was horrible - but now - well the park has grown - it is well care for and the CM's are a lot better than they use to be. IOA - island of adventure - hey the park picked a great name and in my opinion live up to it.

I don't know if you will have time to do all the parks with the days you have left - 4 (probably) - some parks I only spend a half day at - Studios - where I love Epcot and will spend 2 days here. You might want to spend 2 days at MK. Everyone taste are a little different - makes the world interesting!

Since you have been to WDW before - have you considered SW - there fun pass is a good deal.

Our friends took a taxi in january from the Rosen Plaza on I-Drive to Universal and it was about $10.

They were very happy staying off-site and not renting a car. They used complimentary shuttles, the I-Trolley to shop and eat, and that taxi the one time they were too tired to wait for the shuttle. They are from the U.K. and did not want the hassle of driving on the "wrong" side of the street!
Kes

I think that's GREAT for you... I was planning to do the same thing... I booked my flight, had a place to stay.. got my annual pass out of the safe, made a tour ressie.. and OFF I GO... No Wife, No Kid...
But then I bragged a little too much to one of my friends... "Hey I always wanted to take the underground tour too..." Next thing you know... it's two of us travling "solo"... wives & kids at home.
He's a great friend, I am sure we will have a blast!!!!

I do feel bad leaving my little one behind, and my wonderful wife... but we will all be making the trip during Spring Break in April, so I guess that makes me feel a bit better....

Hope to see you fellow SOLO-ers in the parks!

You are going to have a great time on your own. I went to Australia on my own a few years ago (talk about flying alone - try 24+ hours :D ) and it was the best experience. You'll talk to so many more people than you normally would when you're in a group.
Many rides have a single rider line; check with a CM for directions. This might speed you up on rides that don't have Fastpass or you may not even need Fastpass! I don't know if this policy exists at US/IOA but you could ask.
If you get a chance, try one of the spas at either Disney Institute or Grand Floridian. You can hang out for hours, relaxing in the hot tub or sauna and the treatments are wonderful! By yourself it's a nice treat and you won't feel like you're taking away from anyone else's time in the parks. Or try afternoon tea at the GF; that will recharge your batteries after park hopping. For a special meal I would suggest: the Rose & Crown because everyone's so friendly or Chefs de France - with a window seat you can watch the street performers, or either the Biergarten or Teppanyaki where you can sit with others and have entertainment with the meal.

Just to be safe though, I would suggest you bring along a cell phone and small flashlight, maybe one of the travel door alarms. The flashlight will come in handy if your hotel room opens to the outdoors; you don't want to come in late at night and be walking in the dim light of a resort area. Vary the route you take to your room also. Have your key ready well before you approach your room, and make sure if you have sliding doors that they are secure. I hope I'm not scaring you! I don't mean to; I think you will be very safe there because the whole Disney resort area is very security conscious - it's unobtrusive but they are watching out for guest safety at all times, at all resorts. It's just best to be careful!

Have a terrific time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter