1st timers-how many park days? hotel?

firstwdw

DIS Veteran
Been to WDW MANY times but never to DL. Would we need 3 or 4 park days to do both DL and California Adventure? Planning to then go to San Diego for a few days after. Also, would you suggest Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian for 2 adults and 1 teenager (boy).

I would suggest Grand Californian.
For a nice, leisurely trip with time to see everything and repeat your favorites I suggest 4 days. But you could experience both parks easily with 3 days using the park hopper option.

If you can do the extra day do the extra day. You can likely see everything you want in 3 days, but the extra day will make everything more relaxed and let you take in some of the ambiance without worrying about your schedule.

As for which hotel, I’ll let other people weigh in there. I’ve only stayed at the grand Californian and only twice, and both times it felt like a waste. Clearly I’m missing something there but the bubble just doesn’t resonate with me.

I would pick Disneyland hotel, i just like the ambiance and history there, unless closeness is a top priority.

disneyland hotel has the monorail, which is nice for Disneyland park, and gch is easy access to dca…

3 days would be fine and 4 would be better. :)

As for hotels, I've not stayed at either so can't comment there. But if you are used to going to WDW you know of the huge advantage to staying onsite. DL is different and there are several hotels very close to DL that would be significantly less expensive. DL is so much smaller than WDW that we don't see a benefit to onsite at DL (but as mentioned, we've not even tried it...) If money is no concern I'd stay onsite. From what I've seen walking around and read from others, DL Hotel rooms will be larger than GCH and more Disney-themed. Grounds and lobby feels more Disney. GCH is easy access to California Adventure. We love the beautiful lobby of the GCH but you can walk in there and enjoy that without staying there.

I actually think 3 days is good. With 4 days, most people get too tired and can't maximize time in the park, especially if you're picking days with midnight closings. If you have the extra time and money, 4 days is good but I don't generally recommend it for first time visitors.

Disneyland hotel has more of the Disney feel. The Grand Californian is nicer and can be a great way to enter California Adventure. It depends on what you are looking for.

I did 5 days & have stayed at the 3 on property hotels. I think 4 days is the perfect amount. On the second day in each park you can get your favorites in and or rides you missed on the first day. Grand Californian is the best. Disneyland Hotel is very good too. You cant go wrong really.

I agree 3 days is sufficient, but 4 is ideal. Since you're traveling with a teen and not small kids, you might not need the extra stops in Fantasyland and younger rides.

Re: The hotel, I know the go to answer is the Grand and I agree, but I would not count out the DLH, especially if the price is way lower. Like it was mentioned above, you cannot go wrong with either option.

I would do 4. We usually do 3 full days and 2 half days (or a little longer than half) on arrival and departure days. We usually follow your route and head down to the San Diego area after DLR.

As far as which hotel they are both great. As WDW vets, have you stayed at, or do you like WL? GC is pretty much a scaled down version of WL, with typically higher rates. The one big benefit is the gate to go in and out of CA directly from the hotel, and the fact it is a little closer to the DL/CA front gates than DLH. We have stayed at and like WL alot, but at DLR we want something different so we stay at DLH. DLH is different from any of the WDW resorts we have stayed it. We really enjoy it there. Also, it has Trader Sam's and DH usually stops in there at night when we walk back from the parks and grabs us each a drink he brings up to the room while DD and I go upstairs and start showering. In terms of walking to the parks from DLH, by WDW standards, the walk is short. I have heard DLR vets complain about it, but from a WDW perspective the ability to walk to the park from there is great. It is about the same distance as walking from Yacht Club to EPCOT or from the Contemporary to Magic Kingdom, but straight through DTD.

Last edited:
We get 5 day hoppers but either our first or last day is a half day, sometimes both depending on flights.

For hotels, I prefer GCH but you really can't go very wrong with the classic DLH.

4 days if you want to take breaks and not stay rope drop to close. It allows for a more leisurely, relaxed pace and allows you to probably do everything (rides, shows, food, shopping) you want to.

3 or 4, whichever you can accommodate. 4 is really nice if you want to have afternoons at the pool, but if you have other plans in San Diego that you would miss out on with having 4 days, then 3 is just fine. (FWIW, we typically do 3.)

As for hotel, I am going to hands down recommend Grand Californian. There is nothing close at WDW with the proximity that GCH has. Walk straight into DCA from the hotel. You will love how easy it is to get around. ::yes::

I would do 4. We usually do 3 full days and 2 half days (or a little longer than half) on arrival and departure days. We usually follow your route and head down to the San Diego area after DLR.

As far as which hotel they are both great. As WDW vets, have you stayed at, or do you like WL? GC is pretty much a scaled down version of WL, with typically higher rates. The one big benefit is the gate to go in and out of CA directly from the hotel, and the fact it is a little closer to the DL/CA front gates than DLH. We have stayed at and like WL alot, but at DLR we want something different so we stay at DLH. It is different from any of the WDW resorts we have stayed it. We really enjoy it there. Also, it has Trader Sam's and DH usually stops in there at night when we walk back from the parks and grabs us each a drink he brings up to the room while DD and I go upstairs and start showering. In terms of walking to the parks from DLH, by WDW standards, the walk is short. I have heard DLR vets complain about it, but from a WDW perspective the ability to walk to the park from there is great. It is about the same distance as walking from Yacht Club to EPCOT or from the Contemporary to Magic Kingdom, but straight through DTD.

OHHHH....thanks for the WDW comparisons! Super helpful. We have stayed at Wilderness Lodge and love it! And the walking distances are helpful too!

Would any of those days also be travel days for you that would cut into Disney time? I would say 3 days with hoppers is plenty if not.
We love the Disneyland Hotel and would only upgrade if you're going to be spending a lot of time at the resort (like not doing parks on travel days or making time for the spa).

And since you said you are a WDW veteran, please enjoy the first hand enjoyment of finding out just about every ride that has a clone on both coasts has it's superior version in California (except for Tower of Terror of course).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter