1st timers to DL, can we do just 1 day?

I would definitely go! Last September I was in Beverly Hills for a few days and I took 1 day to go to Disneyland because I couldn't be that close and NOT go. I had never been before and it was amazing. We got park hoppers, arrived before opening and stayed until close and had a really great time.

If you are considering staying at a nearby hotel the night before and night of could you consider a two day hopper so you could see two of the nighttime shows? With the new parade, fireworks and World of Colour it might be worth it.

Thank you for your response! Can you tell me what the ride max is? We will be there the first week of September, before labor day.

It's a software program that decreases your wait times in kine by telling you what time to go on rides and when to get fast passes, etc. It basically makes you an itinerary based on what rides and shows you choose to do. you can find out more at ridemax.com

Our first trip was a one day trip and we had a blast! To be fair, California Adventure was still under major construction at the time, so I opted to just do Disneyland. We left one Friday after work, did Saturday in the park, and returned home on Sunday. I had a short list of things I HAD to do and was able to accomplish all of those with no problem. It was even the day of the Christmas parade taping, so I felt like we did pretty well considering we were such newbies and all.

We did both parks in one day a couple weeks ago and it was FUN! We were with another couple that are not as "commando" as us so we took the pace slower that I would have myself, but we still got a lot accomplished. We were just planning to do DL but then were given 1 day park hopper passes!!!! So we first went to DCA and got fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers, then went to DL and rode our favorites and the ones that are not at WDW. We never had a wait time more than about 15 minutes. And everything was right there! So compact. At DCA we did our FP and then rode California Screamin, Toy Story Mania (our longest wait at about 25 min) and Tower of Terror, then we ran back to DL for dinner at Cafe Orleans (where we had the monte cristo and OMG the 4 of us could have split that easily! But we split 2 and were stuffed with leftovers. sooo decadent) Then we rode a few more things and did some shopping and the parks closed at 9 (i was a bit disappointed by that since it was open till 12 the night before)

So yes I think you can do it, even do both parks, but I think 2 days would be the minimum if I were to do it again.

As you can tell, there are many opinions here. I would recommend two days at DL, with Park Hoppers, and two days in San Diego. Personally, four days in San Diego would drive me crazy. I've never been a fan of that area. You can squeeze a lot into one full day at both parks, but to really enjoy it, I think two would be best. Early September is a pretty good time to go to Disneyland.

When planning which attractions to do, keep in mind that most of the DL rides that can also be found at WDW are better at Disneyland. So if you go in thinking "we've ridden that at WDW" you will miss-out on many experiences that are much better here.

The first time I went to Disneyland (10 years ago in July during the 50th anniversary) I did a daytrip while staying in San Diego with friends. We had a big group and only did DL, not DCA, that time. I had a blast. I've done several other single day visits since then. I never feel like I haven't been able to do enough with one day. I'm usually exhausted by the end but it's worth it. You can see and do a lot in one day even if it's not everything.

I've also taken one multi-day trip, 2 years ago, which was amazing.

My husband and I are planning our 10 year anniversary trip to San Diego in September. We are huge Disney fans but haven't been to DL. We hoped to take a day trip to DL. My question is would we be able to do this in 1 day? Any thoughts or tips for us? I'm a planner and having never been here is a little stressful. :) Thanks you!!

You may not see absolutely everything, but you can see most of the park in one day, yes. Two is, of course, better. And CA Adv is an additional day. Have a wonderful time!

As you can tell, there are many opinions here. I would recommend two days at DL, with Park Hoppers, and two days in San Diego. Personally, four days in San Diego would drive me crazy. I've never been a fan of that area. You can squeeze a lot into one full day at both parks, but to really enjoy it, I think two would be best. Early September is a pretty good time to go to Disneyland.

When planning which attractions to do, keep in mind that most of the DL rides that can also be found at WDW are better at Disneyland. So if you go in thinking "we've ridden that at WDW" you will miss-out on many experiences that are much better here.
Interesting perspective. I have heard some rides are better at DL. I didn't think about doing perhaps 2 days there and 2 days in San Diego. Thanks!

If this were me, and I only had one day? I would absolutely go! I would stay as close-by as I could, get a 1 day parkhopper, open the park(s), and shut them down. :thumbsup2
But I would prefer at least two days. I would get a 1 park per day ticket. Then I would really focus on each park on its day.

1 day = parkhopper
2 days = 1 park per day
3+ days = parkhopper

I have had a great time spending one day at DL, BUT it was not my first visit. I definitely think you can see/do a lot in one day if you prioritize and go in with realistic expectations. You will probably not be able to hit every attraction, see the parade, the shows, and watch the fireworks. But you will be able to have an amazing time, ride several rides, eat Disney food, and enjoy just being in the park (maybe sneak in some shopping...)! Disneyland still has paper fastpasses, which if used wisely can really help maximize your time in the parks. In my book, one day in Disneyland is better than no days... Have fun!

San Diego is great and has a lot to offer. But, honestly, if you've never been to DLR before, you will regret only spending one day there. There is so much to see and do. I recommend just spending all four days at DLR. Otherwise, you will miss so much. It will be tough to leave after just one day. Just my opinion.

Thank you for your response! Can you tell me what the ride max is? We will be there the first week of September, before labor day.
Be aware that the Disneyland Half Marathon weekend begins September 3rd. I'm not sure what days you are planning, but it will start getting busy on the 3rd when the expo starts.

My first two visits to DLR were both one day only and just the DL park. I loved it and had a blast. No, we didn't see near everything either time. But we enjoyed ourselves. We only had a day, so we made the best of it each time.

We also just went to Japan and went to DisneySea for one day. Definitely didn't see everything, but with only 10 days in Japan, one day was all we were willing to allot to the park. we had a great time! Hoping to go back for longer some day.

If you can spend more time, then do. But if not, you can certainly have a great time in your one day. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter