2 contracts- how to use for 1 reservation

LindyDis

Earning My Ears
I have two contracts with different use years and different home resorts. How do I use the points from both on one reservation?

You have to transfer points from one contract to the other. The points will retain home resort and expiration according to their original contract. If for different resorts they can only be combined at 7 months.

And also be aware that you cannot transfer banked (not sure about borrowed I've never had that issue come up) points between your contracts.

You have to call MS to transfer beteeen the memgerhships.

Once transferred, they will be in. A temporary contract that you will only see when you are booking.

As mentioned, they will retain their own home resort and UY and can’t be borrowed to use on a trip.

They have recently made some exceptions for owners to transfer banked points beteeen their own memberships

They key is to make sure you can use the points for the trip you want without needing to borrow.

You have to call MS to transfer beteeen the memgerhships.

Once transferred, they will be in. A temporary contract that you will only see when you are booking.

As mentioned, they will retain their own home resort and UY and can’t be borrowed to use on a trip.

They have recently made some exceptions for owners to transfer banked points beteeen their own memberships

They key is to make sure you can use the points for the trip you want without needing to borrow.

Oh sure - AFTER I wanted to transfer banked points they do it now - lol :rotfl:

Good to know for the future. 8-)

I have two contracts with different use years and different home resorts. How do I use the points from both on one reservation?
An alternative to transferring from one membership to the other is to book some nights with one membership and the remaining nights with the other membership, then chat/email/call MS and ask them to place a Continuing Stay note on both reservations so you can stay in the same room. That works only if you don’t need points from both memberships to cover a night (i.e. night costs 15 points, you need 10 from membership A and 5 from membership B).

As noted, you have two possible methods of using the points from both use years to reserve one continuous reservation. I have often used the method of booking some nights with one use year and the others with the second use year and then linking the reservations through MS, and have never had to change rooms.

As to the transfer method, be aware that DVC does not apply the single transfer per use year rule to transfers made by a member between the member's own use years, and thus you can actually do such transfers more than once during a use year.

I have often used the method mentioned of booking some nights with one contract and other nights with the second contract and asking member services to put a note that we would like to stay in the same room and we have never had to move. Just yesterday I booked using two contracts when I needed points from both for one of the nights. I was told that when you are transferring to yourself (both contracts are yours), you can transfer banked points but not borrowed points. If you will need to borrow points from one of the contracts to complete the reservation, make sure you transfer the other points into that contract. I only needed 14 points from one of the contracts for the reservation but 10 of them would be borrowed so I had to transfer the larger amount from the other contract into the one with the 14 points.

An alternative to transferring from one membership to the other is to book some nights with one membership and the remaining nights with the other membership, then chat/email/call MS and ask them to place a Continuing Stay note on both reservations so you can stay in the same room. That works only if you don’t need points from both memberships to cover a night (i.e. night costs 15 points, you need 10 from membership A and 5 from membership B).
This is what I did when I had two contracts with different use years. It was a PITB.

I have often used the method mentioned of booking some nights with one contract and other nights with the second contract and asking member services to put a note that we would like to stay in the same room and we have never had to move. Just yesterday I booked using two contracts when I needed points from both for one of the nights. I was told that when you are transferring to yourself (both contracts are yours), you can transfer banked points but not borrowed points. If you will need to borrow points from one of the contracts to complete the reservation, make sure you transfer the other points into that contract. I only needed 14 points from one of the contracts for the reservation but 10 of them would be borrowed so I had to transfer the larger amount from the other contract into the one with the 14 points.
I do this as well. But I thought I'd mention the one disadvantage I have experienced with doing so... When points from two different memberships are used, you will have 2 different Reservation Numbers, even at the same resort. I have been told by MS that I cannot merge them. When the the 60-day mark comes to make dining reservations, I could not do so for my entire stay. I'd have to log on separately when each reservation has hit its 60-day mark, and by then hard-to-sought dining reservations may already be gone. Has anyone found a workaround for this?

I do this as well. But I thought I'd mention the one disadvantage I have experienced with doing so... When points from two different memberships are used, you will have 2 different Reservation Numbers, even at the same resort. I have been told by MS that I cannot merge them. When the the 60-day mark comes to make dining reservations, I could not do so for my entire stay. I'd have to log on separately when each reservation has hit its 60-day mark, and by then hard-to-sought dining reservations may already be gone. Has anyone found a workaround for this?
Yes, that is a problem if you use one contract to book some of the nights and another contract to book others. I agree that is a problem for making dining reservations. If you transfer points and make the reservation out of a single contract (with the transferred points), it is just one reservation number and you should be able to make dining reservations for the entire stay at the 60 day mark for the first day of the stay. Unless it has changed, you should keep in mind you can only make one transfer in or out per (use?) year in each contract. So you would be using up that one transfer with both contracts.

Unless it has changed, you should keep in mind you can only make one transfer in or out per (use?) year in each contract. So you would be using up that one transfer with both contracts.
It’s been reported here more than once that if you’re an owner transferring between your own memberships, MS will allow more than one transfer per UY.

It’s been reported here more than once that if you’re an owner transferring between your own memberships, MS will allow more than one transfer per UY.
Good to know. This was the first time I ever transferred points so I would not have paid attention to those reports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter