• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2008 - C25K program :) WELCOME!!

swim-mom

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone, the last thread was getting huge with all of the new program members!!

I started this up, so everyone can track 2008 progress.

Keep moving and a 5K is in your reach :)

Thanks for starting this new thread! I think it will be a great way to attract newbies like me. :thumbsup2

Ok, posting my progress......

I did week 6 day 1, and the distance was increased now. Up to this point it was 2.25 miles and now it was 2.50, so I guess this is the time when the distance increases!

My knee is still sore, I took two motrin before and I am icing it now too.

How is everyone else doing???? :goodvibes :goodvibes

I'm starting on 2/2...I'm excited, nervous, scared..but ready!

Swim-mom, that's great progress you're making! I'll be watching you to get a sense of how the upcoming weeks might go. I hope your knees feel better.

Burberryplaid (great screen name): yeah! You can do it, and we'll be close to the same schedule, as I didn't start until mid-way through January.

As for me, tomorrow is my last day of W3. Wish me luck!

Hi everyone :)

Today is a rest day for me, my knees are screaming. It is not going to stop me, it just means that this week I am doing 3 days (that is what the program only calls for). I like doing 4 days, but this is the week my knees are saying NO!!!

Hope all is well, with everyone!

Keep moving forward, even if that means repeating a week. As long as you are moving that is all that matters!! :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

I am so glad to find this thread! I just started this week and have done the first two days. So far, it is going great! I was once VERY physcially fit...an aerobics instructor and physical trainer. And even then, I could NEVER run. I could do 3 step classes back to back, but ask me to run a mile and you might as well kill me right there on the spot.

Now it is 10 years, 3 kids, and 30 pounds later, and I am finally motivated to get my body back! I read abut the C25k program and thought...wow, this might actually be the thing that can get me to be a runner! So, the first two days were a breeze!

I should say, though, that I am running on a treadmill, which of course makes a difference. You can usually run longer and farther on a TM than on the road. But still, I am thrilled with what I have been able to do thus far!

Thanks so much for starting this thread!

I did Week 2, Day 2 of Marathoning for Mortals last night. I went out to dinner first and then went to exchange my running shoes, so I am proud of myself for actually coming home and doing it. Usually any disruption in my routine and I find an excuse not to.

Good luck everyone!:cheer2:

Now it is 10 years, 3 kids, and 30 pounds later, and I am finally motivated to get my body back! I read abut the C25k program and thought...wow, this might actually be the thing that can get me to be a runner! So, the first two days were a breeze!

You are not alone!! I have 4 children + I am in grad school :) So I know first hand of the stress that comes along with children :goodvibes

Like you I lost sight of "ME" when my children came along. That is not a bad thing, but I think being a mom the last thing you think of is yourself.

I have been doing this too on my TM and I am on week 6. I am doing the distance NOT the time since the TM can track that.

Welcome and keep us posted!!:thumbsup2

I am doing W2D3 tomorrow. It is difficult for me, but I am doing it. My sister convinced me that I could do this, and we are doing the 5K at Disney in May. So I have no choice but to train for it! My biggest fear is that since I am so heavy (I weigh over 300 pounds), I won't be able to go fast enough to do the event in the time frame allotted. But all I can do is the best I can do - here's hoping that I drop some weight while I'm training and that makes it easier when I get to the race!

I am doing W2D3 tomorrow. It is difficult for me, but I am doing it. My sister convinced me that I could do this, and we are doing the 5K at Disney in May. So I have no choice but to train for it! My biggest fear is that since I am so heavy (I weigh over 300 pounds), I won't be able to go fast enough to do the event in the time frame allotted. But all I can do is the best I can do - here's hoping that I drop some weight while I'm training and that makes it easier when I get to the race!

We're running right along with you, Susan. Keep going. You CAN do this! :cheer2:

You are not alone!! I have 4 children + I am in grad school :) So I know first hand of the stress that comes along with children :goodvibes

Like you I lost sight of "ME" when my children came along. That is not a bad thing, but I think being a mom the last thing you think of is yourself.

I have been doing this too on my TM and I am on week 6. I am doing the distance NOT the time since the TM can track that.

Welcome and keep us posted!!:thumbsup2

I am a college professor full time on top of the three kids (fortunately I work almost entirely online these days :thumbsup2 , so that makes working around the kids' schedules a breeze). Yeah, doin' the family-work-me time-juggle is a talent unto itself.

But yes, you hit it--I am finally starting to focus on ME for a little bit. And in turn, I will be a better wife and better mom...:love:

I did Week 2, Day 2 of Marathoning for Mortals last night. I went out to dinner first and then went to exchange my running shoes, so I am proud of myself for actually coming home and doing it. Usually any disruption in my routine and I find an excuse not to.

Good luck everyone!:cheer2:

I am getting ready to buy this book...how do you like it?

Swim-Mom, take care of those knees so you continue to feel good and exceed your goals! :goodvibes I so like that you're trying to do the plan 4x a week, with the sensibility to do 3x if it feels necessary. Do you repeat the 3rd day of any given week on those weeks you do 4 runs?

Maymom and Sabrina_Mouse--Welcome :welcome: & good luck on Monday.

3DisneyKids: Congratulations on your first runs. I'm using a TM to do C25K, too, as there's no way I have the stamina/willpower/courage to do the program OUTSIDE in winter. Even with the incline up, I'm not having to deal with the cold, ice, traffic, etc., and I'm good with that. So I say, take the progress in whatever form it comes and (pun approaching) run with it! :thumbsup2

Michelle: Whoo-hoo for you! :woohoo: That's dedication, and I'm impressed. How do you like MfM, and what program are you on? (I used it for the WR for the Goofy--it's like a bible to me.)

Larry's Girl: Congratulations on moving through Week 2 and for signing up for a 5K. A race is a good motivator. And I've only done one event, but it was Disney & I have to say it has got me hooked. And remember the WISH motto: DLF >DNF >DNS (Dead Last Finish is greater than Did Not Finish which GREATLY TRUMPS Did Not Start). You're bound to surprise yourself with your determination, your strength, and your abilities; plus, you'll build good memories with your sister. :thumbsup2

I finished W3D3 today, with just a little knee tenderness. I'll take it easy with cross training this weekend and start W4 on Monday. I expect that will be the challenge for me, as it will move me in time beyond the run intervals I used for the Goofy.

This week's motivator:
The tortoise and hare
Each reaching the finish line:
One path, two journeys.

I am loving the book! I started by reading Running For Mortals that I got for a Christmas present. I think there is such a great perspective and humor to the writing. Even if I wasn't wanting to run I think I would enjoy the book. I was reading a passage to my roomate last night and we were cracking up. It was about the most important piece of advice they had to offer-lining up at the porta potties:rotfl:

I highly recommend it and was glad that I read about the book here on the Dis. I am doing the half marathon walk/run program.

I was freaked out that I might not be able to keep the pace for the 1/2 Marathon. Then I started reading Marathoning For Mortals and they really stress that while finishing is great, it's the starting that takes the most courage. Just getting to that point is already a victory. Of course I want to finish, but if I don't I will not be crushed or feel like a failure. I will have done what many others have only talked about just by lining up at the start:goodvibes

Swim-Mom, take care of those knees so you continue to feel good and exceed your goals! :goodvibes I so like that you're trying to do the plan 4x a week, with the sensibility to do 3x if it feels necessary. Do you repeat the 3rd day of any given week on those weeks you do 4 runs?

If I am feeling good for a day 4 of any week, I always do the first day. Only because it will not kill me and it is the easiest to do :)

As I approach the 3rd days of the next few weeks, they are long runs. Which is why I would just do day 1. However, when I was looking at the plan it looks like every day in week 7 is the same :)

This week is only 3 days do to my knee issue. But when I slipped on the ice, I must have bruised it..............cause its a nice blue/greenish spot!! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter