(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who just got back. How bad was the construction at Mitzers Lounge? is there a separate area for drinks and listening to the band? is it super crowded? We are staying at the Poly in August but wanted to come over for a drink and the music. Any information would be helpful.
The tea room is available for seating, but when I was there most folks sat out in front of the band in the sofas and chairs in the lobby. Drinks could be ordered from the bar behind the band or a CM came around taking orders sometimes.

For those of you who just got back. How bad was the construction at Mitzers Lounge? is there a separate area for drinks and listening to the band? is it super crowded? We are staying at the Poly in August but wanted to come over for a drink and the music. Any information would be helpful.

Not bad at all but Mitzers is completely closed. The Grand Floridian Orchestra is now on the first floor in front of the Garden View Tea Room. There is a temporary bar set up between the orchestra and the tea room. We were there a couple of weeks ago and there were several people getting drinks and sitting in the lobby. It is nice because the music rotates between the orchestra and piano. You can get a nice seat and enjoy both.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Our family just booked 6 rooms at the Grand Floridian in November 2019! I just can't believe it really. This is an extended family trip, mainly revolving around my aunt, her birthday, and a respite from the chemo she's been going through. She's been feeling well so we want to do the BIG trip.

I'll be honest, our preference was to stay at the Contemporary, but the there was no room available there. Never thought I'd ever be at the GF so never did a lot of research. I've been reading through this thread and there's a LOT of club level information that I guess will never pertain to me. I haven't seen much talk about how it is just being a regular room stayer.

So what I do know is that the CM who did our reservation today, put us on hold for quite awhile, to get our rooms linked together for when the time comes to assign rooms. He put in a "medical need" priority for my aunt so that hopefully she could at least be place very near her daughter's room.

One room in our party will be getting a theme park view and the rest are getting garden view rooms. The CM felt sure that we would at least be in the same section but definitely the Garden Views would be across the hall from the Theme Park View room.

Two people in our party will be in ECVs (elderly with joint issues). I realize that the outer buildings can be quite a distance from the monorail access. What is the worst case scenario on this? How bad could it be if it's raining and we need to get from the main building to the outer building?

How do you rate the counter service food option (Gasparilla Grill) for quick bites, tea, coffee, etc.

Just looking for info. In the meantime, I'm trying to work through 600+ thread pages!

Hi everyone! Our family just booked 6 rooms at the Grand Floridian in November 2019! I just can't believe it really. This is an extended family trip, mainly revolving around my aunt, her birthday, and a respite from the chemo she's been going through. She's been feeling well so we want to do the BIG trip.

I'll be honest, our preference was to stay at the Contemporary, but the there was no room available there. Never thought I'd ever be at the GF so never did a lot of research. I've been reading through this thread and there's a LOT of club level information that I guess will never pertain to me. I haven't seen much talk about how it is just being a regular room stayer.

So what I do know is that the CM who did our reservation today, put us on hold for quite awhile, to get our rooms linked together for when the time comes to assign rooms. He put in a "medical need" priority for my aunt so that hopefully she could at least be place very near her daughter's room.

One room in our party will be getting a theme park view and the rest are getting garden view rooms. The CM felt sure that we would at least be in the same section but definitely the Garden Views would be across the hall from the Theme Park View room.

Two people in our party will be in ECVs (elderly with joint issues). I realize that the outer buildings can be quite a distance from the monorail access. What is the worst case scenario on this? How bad could it be if it's raining and we need to get from the main building to the outer building?

How do you rate the counter service food option (Gasparilla Grill) for quick bites, tea, coffee, etc.

Just looking for info. In the meantime, I'm trying to work through 600+ thread pages!
I’m so happy for you and your family. Your trip will be amazing. The Grand Floridian is my favorite resort. While we mostly have stayed club level, we have also stayed in one of the outer buildings and found it just as magical. We really don’t find the outer buildings being that far from the main building. The grounds are stunning and we find walking the pathways relaxing.

When traveling to magic kingdom, take the monorail and the boat back. For ECV’s use the the monorail every time. We always pack umbrellas for our trips to Disney, it seems to rain there daily. I believe for the month of November it doesn’t rain as often as the other months, so you might not have to worry about walking from the main building to the other buildings in the rain.

We have found the selection and food quality of Gasparilla grill to be wonderful. You can also watch the happily ever fireworks from the patio outside of Gasparilla grill. The Grand Floridian cafe also was very good.

Definitely go to the lobby and listen to the orchestra and pianist each evening. Explore the resort. It has so much beauty and is truly an amazing resort.

Last edited:

What a beautiful trip you are planning! We booked standard garden view and stayed in Sago Key right next to main building with steps to Gasparillas. It was perfect for us. I don’t think there is theme park view there though. TouringPlans.com has the map and you can see which rooms are what you r paying for and make a request. It is only a request, but they will do their best to make it the best for you.

Food option are wonderful. The Grand Floridian Cafe is simple but excellent. Service is super friendly and food is delicious. The others are more upscale and there is a character dining option as well there.

I much prefer it over all resorts as it is so relaxing. It is like a separate vacation from the parks. I think your family will really enjoy it. The pools are awesome too. Music is lovely and shopping is fun! Lots to do and see and a resort that truly doesn’t make you feel rushed.

Questions:

We are doing 2 nights Club Level before switching to 5 nights Standard. How long in the day will we have use of the lounge on day of checkout, 11 am or until we literally check in for our other room? I am figuring out if our room is not ready should we wait until three to even try so we have the lounge?

If bringing a computer and room is not ready, where do you leave it and feel that it is safe?

Thanks!

Are the dormer rooms only on the 5th floor, or are they on the 4th floor of some buildings too? Do corner rooms have any 'extras' like an extra window, or is there no difference?

Also, does anyone have pictures/links to show the difference between a dormer/not dormer room? Deciding which we should request for our trip in August!

We are currently here...started off in Sugarloaf and had a 4th floor dormer room (then moved over to the Yachtclub CL). The vaulted ceiling really did make the room seem much bigger.

Questions:

We are doing 2 nights Club Level before switching to 5 nights Standard. How long in the day will we have use of the lounge on day of checkout, 11 am or until we literally check in for our other room? I am figuring out if our room is not ready should we wait until three to even try so we have the lounge?

If bringing a computer and room is not ready, where do you leave it and feel that it is safe?

Thanks!

You can use it till it closes! Have fun!

Congratulations on your stay and glad to hear your aunt is feeling better!

The GF is beautiful. Big Pine Key is extremely close to the main building and I believe it has theme park view rooms closer to Boca Chica. However, they may not offer the BEST views. I would say the better theme park view room, the further building (Boca Chica/Conch Key). With that said, all of the outer buildings are relatively close to the main building. Nothing is really too spread out.

What time are you going in November (pre-Thanksgiving, post)? ECVs at GF isn't normally bad, but if the Christmas tree is up and gingerbread house is built, I would prepare to leave a little extra time and be very patient with two ECVs. My mom used one while we stayed at GF last December and with the extra foot traffic in the lobby, it was a little hectic navigating and using the elevator. There are two elevators on the one side of the lobby opposite the staircase that are really for RPC access. Then there is one single elevator that only goes to the 2nd floor. You can really tell who isn't staying at the resort (or is just kinda oblivious) because the elevator is pretty fast and people do not hold the doors or press the door open button. I had seen the elevator close at least 10 times last December with no one in it going up and down. :sad2:

As for the rain, you can also look at the disABILITIES! boards, but for my mom we carried an additional poncho (she has so many accumulated from scooters over the past few trips) and clothes pins from home. We would cover the steering column completely and secure it with a few clothes pins. Not a big issue. My mom also wore her own poncho so she didn't get wet. The battery is typically underneath the seat so she was physically covering that. I would also recommend keeping a towel in the basket if it looks like rain so you can dry off the seat or anything that may get wet.

Gasparilla is very nice. Everything has always been tasty and fresh. It also has 2 Coke Freestyle machines unlike any of the other monorail resorts. You can also get some more options at the Beaches Pool Bar or even take the walking path over to Poly if you want to go on an adventure (The path is also scooter friendly :)).

Last edited:
Congratulations on your stay and glad to hear your aunt is feeling better!

The GF is beautiful. Big Pine Key is extremely close to the main building and I believe it has theme park view rooms closer to Boca Chica. However, they may not offer the BEST views. I would say the better theme park view room, the further building (Boca Chica/Conch Key). With that said, all of the outer buildings are relatively close to the main building. Nothing is really too spread out.

What time are you going in November (pre-Thanksgiving, post)? ECVs at GF isn't normally bad, but if the Christmas tree is up and gingerbread house is built, I would prepare to leave a little extra time and be very patient with two ECVs. My mom used one while we stayed at GF last December and with the extra foot traffic in the lobby, it was a little hectic navigating and using the elevator. There are two elevators on the one side of the lobby opposite the staircase that are really for RPC access. Then there is one single elevator that only goes to the 2nd floor. You can really tell who isn't staying at the resort (or is just kinda oblivious) because the elevator is pretty fast and people do not hold the doors or press the door open button. I had seen the elevator close at least 10 times last December with no one in it going up and down. :sad2:

As for the rain, you can also look at the disABILITIES! boards, but for my mom we carried an additional poncho (she has so many accumulated from scooters over the past few trips) and clothes pins from home. We would cover the steering column completely and secure it with a few clothes pins. Not a big issue. My mom also wore her own poncho so she didn't get wet. The battery is typically underneath the seat so she was physically covering that. I would also recommend keeping a towel in the basket if it looks like rain so you can dry off the seat or anything that may get wet.

Gasparilla is very nice. Everything has always been tasty and fresh. It also has 2 Coke Freestyle machines unlike any of the other monorail resorts. You can also get some more options at the Beaches Pool Bar or even take the walking path over to Poly if you want to go on an adventure (The path is also scooter friendly :)).

We'll be going early November (2-9 November). My dad used the ECV last year so we do know about protecting them; I guess I was concerned about getting from the outer buildings over to the monorail. With the Contemporary Garden View, we always had that covered walkway so it wasn't a big deal.

Sounds like a great trip! Glad your aunt is feeling better and is up to traveling :).

We really don’t find the outer buildings being that far from the main building. The grounds are stunning and we find walking the pathways relaxing.

When traveling to magic kingdom, take the monorail and the boat back. For ECV’s use the the monorail every time. We always pack umbrellas for our trips to Disney, it seems to rain there daily. I believe for the month of November it doesn’t rain as often as the other months, so you might not have to worry about walking from the main building to the other buildings in the rain.

We have found the selection and food quality of Gasparilla grill to be wonderful. You can also watch the happily ever fireworks from the patio outside of Gasparilla grill. The Grand Floridian cafe also was very good.

Definitely go to the lobby and listen to the orchestra and pianist each evening. Explore the resort. It has so much beauty and is truly an amazing resort.

I agree with everything here :thumbsup2.

As mrsap posted, you have access to the lounge all day, even after 11:00 check out time :).

Bells services can hold your computer, along with your other bags. We've never taken a computer, but have used bell services many times and have never had any problems. I think a computer would be safe with them ;).

We are currently here...started off in Sugarloaf and had a 4th floor dormer room (then moved over to the Yachtclub CL). The vaulted ceiling really did make the room seem much bigger.

Hope you're having a great time :wizard:.

:thumbsup2

Have trees been removed from in front of Boca Chika? This image from Google maps makes it look like some have. 498EFFE7-C508-40A1-B7B8-76069EF65AF0.png

I asked a similar question about a week ago. It appears that some trees have been removed. However, they still consider many rooms in Boca Chica lagoon view when it appears they are MK view. I’ll be there in 3 weeks and have a lagoon view in Boca Chica requested so I’ll let you know then. The thread I started is probably on page 10 in the resorts folder if you want to look it up.

I asked a similar question about a week ago. It appears that some trees have been removed. However, they still consider many rooms in Boca Chica lagoon view when it appears they are MK view. I’ll be there in 3 weeks and have a lagoon view in Boca Chica requested so I’ll let you know then. The thread I started is probably on page 10 in the resorts folder if you want to look it up.
Thanks! We’re going to be at the Floridian in 10 days and had requested Boca Chica as well. We have theme park view and in the past we’ve had some issues with the trees in our way. Have a great trip!

Awesome! Let me know about the trees when you get there. If you go on Touring Plans they still show many rooms in Boca Chica as lagoon view. It’s kinda weird and random if those trees have been removed. Have a great trip!!!

Awesome! Let me know about the trees when you get there. If you go on Touring Plans they still show many rooms in Boca Chica as lagoon view. It’s kinda weird and random if those trees have been removed. Have a great trip!!!
Will do!

Eek! Arriving in 3 days for a long weekend at GF!! Surprising my mom with a stay at her lifetime dream resort, don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep it a secret from her. I'm assuming she'll have to know once we check in at DME, but kinda hoping it can wait until we get dropped off there. If I don't spill it before then, that is.

Any tips/advice from those who have stayed there before for a GF first-timer?

Last edited:
Eek! Arriving in 3 days for a long weekend at GF!! Surprising my mom with a stay at her lifetime dream resort, don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep it a secret from her. I'm assuming she'll have to know once we check in at DME, but kinda hoping it can wait until we get dropped off there. If I don't spill it before then, that is.

Any tips/advice from those who have stayed there before for a first-timer?

My one tip.....enjoy Everything! Just have fun, walk the grounds, swim in the awesome pools, ride the monorail , take it all in. And have a meal in 1900 Park Fare ( so much fun!). I hope your vacation is magical!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter