(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the pictures Trishadono! Makes me hungry. I wonder if anyone ever tried to take a bite out of the house!!!!

Well, DD was accepted to her first university on Thursday. Very excited for her, not for us. Cost is shocking! There goes any hope for GF trip.

So we are booked for our very first stay at GF next August at DD's request. While I am excited, there is a big part of me wondering if we made the right decision. We love the Poly and the laid back atmosphere. We have visited GF many times for 1900 Park Fare and Christmas decorations but have never stayed there. Will we feel out of place at GF?

So we are booked for our very first stay at GF next August at DD's request. While I am excited, there is a big part of me wondering if we made the right decision. We love the Poly and the laid back atmosphere. We have visited GF many times for 1900 Park Fare and Christmas decorations but have never stayed there. Will we feel out of place at GF?

We stayed at the GF for the first time last August and like you I was concerned about feeling "out of place" and "not the Poly" but we loved it. It was very relaxing, the CM's were great, wonderful pools, beautiful grounds, etc. We are now spoiled and do not want to stay anywhere else. I'm sure you will really enjoy it.

Months of planning and I'm here!!

So far, pretty great! Got our upgrade on our flight and the flight even landed early!

We did online check-in and I had a text when we got off the plane that our room wasn't ready. Met our a pick-up and no traffic to the Grand. Pulled up and had someone greet us and literally as we walked in the lobby I got a text that our room was ready!!

We were taken outside and had a gentleman pull up in a golf cart to bring us to Sugar Loaf and point out key locations at the resort. Out MBs worked to get into SL and we were taken to our room. Exactly what I requested - king bed, no adjoining room, and off from the lobby! We are in a dormer room which is nice. And we don't have much of a view, but my other requests were more important to us than the view! I was hoping for some pixie dust and a magical upgrade to the main building but I knew that was a long shot!

All the CMs have been cheerful and pleasant. My hubby had to log on to work so I'm in the lounge enjoying some chips and delicious tatziki!

I used the text service already to book a lunch at GFC and had a quick friendly response.

So far, so good!!!

Months of planning and I'm here!!

So far, pretty great! Got our upgrade on our flight and the flight even landed early!

We did online check-in and I had a text when we got off the plane that our room wasn't ready. Met our a pick-up and no traffic to the Grand. Pulled up and had someone greet us and literally as we walked in the lobby I got a text that our room was ready!!

We were taken outside and had a gentleman pull up in a golf cart to bring us to Sugar Loaf and point out key locations at the resort. Out MBs worked to get into SL and we were taken to our room. Exactly what I requested - king bed, no adjoining room, and off from the lobby! We are in a dormer room which is nice. And we don't have much of a view, but my other requests were more important to us than the view! I was hoping for some pixie dust and a magical upgrade to the main building but I knew that was a long shot!

All the CMs have been cheerful and pleasant. My hubby had to log on to work so I'm in the lounge enjoying some chips and delicious tatziki!

I used the text service already to book a lunch at GFC and had a quick friendly response.

So far, so good!!!
I missed your send off, but I'm SO happy you are finally there! It has been a long time since your count-down first started! I'm sorry you didn't get upgraded to RPC, but honestly, if I get my room requests at GF, I feel lucky. Have a wonderful time! I wish I were listening to the band right now:)

I missed your send off, but I'm SO happy you are finally there! It has been a long time since your count-down first started! I'm sorry you didn't get upgraded to RPC, but honestly, if I get my room requests at GF, I feel lucky. Have a wonderful time! I wish I were listening to the band right now:)

Thanks Dispro!! Haha - it was a long time planning right!!

Again, couldn't be any happier with our room. We just woke up and I told my hubby that they couldn't have done a better job with out main requests. We're in a king, away from the lobby area, in a dormer room (so nobody above us walking around), and there's an a/c closet between us and one of our neighbors which helps even more with the quiet. At first I thought the closet was for housekeeping so when they walked us up I nicely asked if we'd be hearing noise every morning from people going in and out of the closet and he laughed and said it was the a/c unit! LOL - just making sure!

The only minor thing about SL so far is lack of usable stairs. There are no inside stairs to walk to the lobby and the outside stairs will let you out of the building and into the 1st floor but you can't use them to come back up because they are locked and MBs don't allow access.

Being on the 3rd floor, it's only 2 flights and it's so much easier than waiting on the slow elevator. In busy places I like to alleviate congestion on the elevators and use stairs (and for convenience). That way people with strollers, wheelchairs, ECVs, and those who can't take the stairs have use of the elevator without long waits with able-bodied folks also using them. I do think anyone should use the elevators - especially after long days at the park, but there should always be stairs for people who want to use them as well. But, this is a general annoyance of mine that I find at a lot of places.

Off to the lounge - have a GRAND day!!!

Again, couldn't be any happier with our room. We just woke up and I told my hubby that they couldn't have done a better job with out main requests. We're in a king, away from the lobby area, in a dormer room (so nobody above us walking around), and there's an a/c closet between us and one of our neighbors which helps even more with the quiet. At first I thought the closet was for housekeeping so when they walked us up I nicely asked if we'd be hearing noise every morning from people going in and out of the closet and he laughed and said it was the a/c unit! LOL - just making sure!

The only minor thing about SL so far is lack of usable stairs. There are no inside stairs to walk to the lobby and the outside stairs will let you out of the building and into the 1st floor but you can't use them to come back up because they are locked and MBs don't allow access.

Being on the 3rd floor, it's only 2 flights and it's so much easier than waiting on the slow elevator. In busy places I like to alleviate congestion on the elevators and use stairs (and for convenience). That way people with strollers, wheelchairs, ECVs, and those who can't take the stairs have use of the elevator without long waits with able-bodied folks also using them. I do think anyone should use the elevators - especially after long days at the park, but there should always be stairs for people who want to use them as well. But, this is a general annoyance of mine that I find at a lot of places.

So glad to see you arrived and so far so good! Glad your room requests were met -- there's nothing like starting out the trip on the right foot! That is a great point to make about SL and inside stairs. We are also a stairs family unless we have our arms full carrying things. Also, so happy to hear the text service is helpful so far! Let us know if you make any 4th FP's with them. This was one of my favorite CL perks from a stay at BC CL earlier this year.

Enjoy!

So glad to see you arrived and so far so good! Glad your room requests were met -- there's nothing like starting out the trip on the right foot! That is a great point to make about SL and inside stairs. We are also a stairs family unless we have our arms full carrying things. Also, so happy to hear the text service is helpful so far! Let us know if you make any 4th FP's with them. This was one of my favorite CL perks from a stay at BC CL earlier this year.

Enjoy!

Thanks TJA! Just back from breakfast and about to head out for the day and I thought of one more thing that I think Blue or Dispro mentioned before - the comforters! There's no comforter or duvet on the bed. We like to keep it cooler in the room at night and then burrow under a thick comforter /duvet and there isn't one on the bed. It's a sheet, a blanket, and then a top sheet. However, the bed and pillows are super comfy, and the sheets are a good quality.

Thanks TJA! Just back from breakfast and about to head out for the day and I thought of one more thing that I think Blue or Dispro mentioned before - the comforters! There's no comforter or duvet on the bed. We like to keep it cooler in the room at night and then burrow under a thick comforter /duvet and there isn't one on the bed. It's a sheet, a blanket, and then a top sheet. However, the bed and pillows are super comfy, and the sheets are a good quality.
I'm not sure whether or not I have mentioned the comforters (or lack thereof) before, but I totally agree! I agree about the stairs too! And the stairs are so close to the main building, it would be much more convenient to have an entrance there...especially if it's raining! I hope you're having a great day!

Just arrived at MCO ! My trip is ending but loveshak has all week!!

We loved visiting gf all 3 times!! The gingerbread house is always been one of my favs!

Good luck with re-entry to regular life. Although it's undoubtedly hard to leave, you have a really special winter and spring coming up with your next trips!

Comforters: they do have a bag with an extra pillow and blanket in the closet. I always use that. I have even called housekeeping for a 2nd at times as well.

Lol, I dragged my dh over to see the room I had (pointed to it) at Sl this summer.

I love to visit my favourite hotels. Walking around remembering past trips is such a nice way to "smell the roses".

Our first trip my kids were 8 and 10(at gf). They really enjoyed it!! There are lots of families they didn't feel out of place. They liked the monorail, water slide and the lobby the best. They wanted to go up and down the large beautiful staircase and then try the glass elevator. Took a while just to explore before we could go anywhere:)

Our stay at bc cl was very nice. No complaints! We enjoyed the new space and the wonderful offerings. However sl was better hands down!!!!

Oh! Lys and I were at mk on Friday while they taped the Christmas parade. You had to be very dressed up in holiday garb to participate. They brought one float at a time and taped that one section for quite a while. It was a hot mid 80 day and we were glad to not have participated in THAT!! It was hours of taping!!!!

Happy Monday!

Last edited:
Thanks @trishadono for the pics!! The gingerbread house is awesome but I wish they gave out samples of mini-gingerbread houses to eat because it also looks yummy!
My girls and I went over to eat GFC and they were giving out samples of the gingerbread. YUM. They liked the CR gingerbread better but it was good.

Thanks for the pictures Trishadono! Makes me hungry. I wonder if anyone ever tried to take a bite out of the house!!!!

Well, DD was accepted to her first university on Thursday. Very excited for her, not for us. Cost is shocking! There goes any hope for GF trip.
Congrats, but sorry about the price $$$ :hug:

So happy for you!!!

Update from Guest services re: our trip: We did receive excellent and generous compensation. The CM mentioned a discrepancy between surveys/reports of SL and RPC. SL gets better CM reviews overall so I guess it is a management issue that will be addressed. I am glad to be heard, and the CM was pleased we had a great trip and we both giggled some of the issues could've been in a sitcom. I can't wait to go see the gingerbread house, we will be stopping by on our trip.

Our stay at bc cl was very nice. No complaints! We enjoyed the new space and the wonderful offerings. However sl was better hands down!!!!

Very happy to read your thoughts on this! BC CL has been a favorite of ours for many years, but we're really looking forward to trying GF, especially RPC! Have to wait until March, though! We will spend Easter Sunday there too and hoping it's really special for my kids (I suspect it will be ;)).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter