2017 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Do you think that was because they were putting returned merchandise back? I saw several posts about people returning merchandise.
I went to the expo on Wednesday and Friday and it was well stocked both times. Also People weren't returning things because of the cancellation until the last day of the expo. I also found that the people in the expo were much better behaved than in the past. There was no grabbing things from in front of people or hoarding items. I really hope Princess is the same way this year.

Bummer on the WDW half being cancelled! I don't read that thread but does anybody know if they still got medals etc? I always worry about PHM getting cancelled and know I would be really disappointed after training so hard.
Yes, we still got half and challenge medals, and it still counts for C2C.
Do you think that was because they were putting returned merchandise back? I saw several posts about people returning merchandise.
To echo @MommaoffherRocker, not just returned stuff - I went back multiple times over the first few days and it was well-stocked *before* the half was canceled.

Then again, W&D was turned into a 10K because of rain and heavy wind that blew foliage down all through AK last year, yes? So it's not just lightning that can mess with a race.

Agreed. And again I point out that I did not even suggest that the WDW half was cancelled because of rain. The rain isn't even what shortened the W&D half, but the wind (plus the approaching lightning... Hah! Finally got predictive typing to stop correcting that). Which is what shortened the Hot Chocolate 15K SF yesterday. Not the rain.

To be fair, it wasn't exactly safe having us go through Golden Gate Park with how branches and trees were at risk of falling (and I believe a homeless man did get hit by a fallen branch there during yesterday's storm). But putting us running right past the Bay was a lot more dangerous.

I can't even imagine AK in a severe windstorm. I know shortened and cancelled courses are never popular, but I trust race organizers to look out for not just runners, but staff and volunteers as well.

In a word, yes. I like registering for races on my schedule and it's the same cost with active fees.

Question about the Raw Threads membership - I, too, have serious FOMO on the 5K (thanks a lot, adorable Mrs. Potts/Chip medal!) and saw your posts about Raw Threads being an option for late registration. I also saw the expo registration option, but saw it after I had already gone to the expo and run the 10K this weekend. :sad2:

After looking into it a bit, I'm wondering how it works exactly. I know you pay for it on the Raw Threads website (I'm assuming it's around the same price as it is on Active), and then what happens? It says they "send registration information." Does that mean we register on Active?

Just curious as to how it works. Thanks for your help! :wave:

Yes, we still got half and challenge medals, and it still counts for C2C.

To echo @MommaoffherRocker, not just returned stuff - I went back multiple times over the first few days and it was well-stocked *before* the half was canceled.

@Ariel484....didn't even think about the C2C and glad Disney is doing what I call the right thing and letting it count! Hope you still were able to enjoy the weekend! On to PHM!

And again I point out that I did not even suggest that the WDW half was cancelled because of rain.

I wasn't indicating that you suggested that. :)

Was just offering another reason for a race to be messed with.

(though I think the rain had something to do with W&D non-Half. Because Splash and Dash showed the participants and rundisney how incredibly slippery it gets at AK and how dangerous it can be to run through in the rain. The epic puddle well outside of AK, that I ran right into because the CM warning us was on the FAR side of the puddle and there was music playing and I finally heard her AS I put my foot into the previously un-noticed puddle, showed that their drainage isn't awesome, either. So I think the slipperiness combined with the foliage knocked down by the winds acted together for that one.)

I wasn't indicating that you suggested that. :)

Was just offering another reason for a race to be messed with.

(though I think the rain had something to do with W&D non-Half. Because Splash and Dash showed the participants and rundisney how incredibly slippery it gets at AK and how dangerous it can be to run through in the rain. The epic puddle well outside of AK, that I ran right into because the CM warning us was on the FAR side of the puddle and there was music playing and I finally heard her AS I put my foot into the previously un-noticed puddle, showed that their drainage isn't awesome, either. So I think the slipperiness combined with the foliage knocked down by the winds acted together for that one.)

I'm sorry! I should have stated that I appreciated you pointing that out. It actually kind of felt like it went unnoticed that I pointed out the missed pieces of my original post earlier until you said something. I was glad to see you saw that.

And yeah, AK sounded like it was a nightmare. The debris, to me, seems like what was the final push to remove that part of the course, but I can see slippery ground and giant puddles having a huge impact for sure. The combination would definitely be very concerning.

My fingers are still crossed for a dry Princess, lol! Or at least a not windy and/or stormy one.

@Ariel484....didn't even think about the C2C and glad Disney is doing what I call the right thing and letting it count! Hope you still were able to enjoy the weekend! On to PHM!
I did, thank you! I got to run the other 3 races. :) I really feel bad for people who weren't registered for any of the other 3 - to have your only race of the weekend canceled would have been pretty upsetting.

Having said that, I think Disney made the right call and I'm impressed that they are offering refunds, deferrals, etc. when they didn't have to do that.
Will we know our corrals then too?
For the half and GSC, yes - they don't release the Corrals ahead of time for the 5K and 10K, but we can guess! :)

I can't totally empathize with what WDW half marathoners went through this past weekend with the cancellation, but ugh. I'm really hoping for a nice, dry Princess weekend now. It can be freezing, but dry, please. And no wind. Wind saps my energy.

Hot Chocolate 15K in SF yesterday got shortened (they cut out the part that took us by the Bay and kept us in the shelter of the park so it was closer to a 10K) due to severe wind. Our predicted lightening and thunder wasn't due in for several hours so we didn't get totally cancelled. I was so soaked and freezing by the end I literally stripped out of my wet clothes in the parking garage at SF State and into dry ones. Modesty went out the window in favor of warmth.

Although now that I've said this, I'm sure I've doomed us, lol! I'm sorry in advance if I have!

Nice to see the Princess medals a little more upclose. I'm actually thrilled they're on the smaller side. I love the concept behind my Pixie Dust medals, but I hate the size. I love my Dopey more because of the size. Still not sure about that Princess half medal, though... It still looks ugly and not just that it photographs terribly :(. Really hoping I'll like it better in person.

That sounds miserable! I was planning to do that race this year, but decided against it. Now I'm kind of glad I did!

I know what you mean about the half medal. I don't really know if I like it or not. I definitely don't like the Pixie Dust medal! lol

I know exactly why it was cancelled. If you read the rest of my post, I pointed out that the lightening and thunder part of the Bay Area's storm wasn't predicted until much later ;). And that that's why it wasn't cancelled like WDW half was cancelled.

I just don't want to run in rain and severe wind again so soon, lol!

Agreed! I did a 13.1 mile training run in sideways rain once. It's horrible!

That sounds miserable! I was planning to do that race this year, but decided against it. Now I'm kind of glad I did!

They actually did something pretty cool since many were being warned to stay off the roads. They offered those who registered, but didn't come out for the 15K a chance to have their medals mailed and do the run virtually. Not quite as cool as being handed cocoa dusted marshmallows in the middle of a run, but I thought it nice of them.

I'm definitely thinking twice before registering for next year, though.

I know what you mean about the half medal. I don't really know if I like it or not. I definitely don't like the Pixie Dust medal! lol

It sucks because the story is so cool behind the PDC medal! But it's one of the ugliest things I've seen.

I'm trying to hold hope I'll like the half for Princess when I see it, but I also usually only wear my challenge medal to the parks. So at least I won't be wearing it for long if I don't like it. At least GSC looks cool.

Agreed! I did a 13.1 mile training run in sideways rain once. It's horrible!

Oh geez! I would hate it even more on a training run. A training run I'd be more likely to back out of or delay until weather clears. A race I'm going to just tough it out. Which is probably terrible of me since I should practice more in bad weather, but I don't really get much opportunity to do so.

Anyone volunteer for the Princess full last year and remember how far in advance you were notified if you were chosen?

I am working on putting my daily itineraries together, which includes outfits! Is it inappropriate to wear my race shirt/leggings to dinner (San Angel Inn) on Sunday night? I'll probably also have a boyfriend cardigan with me.
I normally wouldn't wear something so casual to any restaurant, but I am aiming for comfort!

I'm trying to work through my disappointment about the medal before race day. I want to like it, but I just don't. I really wanted the traditional style.

I'm finally getting back on track with my training. We were ahead in November, so I relaxed too much. Ended up only running 3 times in the whole month of December between holidays, illness, and laziness. So, of course, I panicked. The training plan I'm following (I've used it before with great success) called for 7 miles this past weekend, and we made it. It was slow, but we did it.

Our weather here in Texas has been crazy. It was 72 for one run. Two days later, it was 39. Then 45. Today we're back in the 70s but crazy windy.

I am working on putting my daily itineraries together, which includes outfits! Is it inappropriate to wear my race shirt/leggings to dinner (San Angel Inn) on Sunday night? I'll probably also have a boyfriend cardigan with me.
I normally wouldn't wear something so casual to any restaurant, but I am aiming for comfort!

I think you will be fine! People wear anything in the parks and to the in-park restaurants. I would not give it a second thought.

Nothing inappropriate about it (except to those who think that workout wear is inappropriate anywhere but while working out...I'm not one of those!). And you will not be alone.

Remember to bring fresh shoes for post race!

Nothing inappropriate about it (except to those who think that workout wear is inappropriate anywhere but while working out...I'm not one of those!). And you will not be alone.

Remember to bring fresh shoes for post race!

Thanks! I am packing both an extra pair of tennis shoes to wear around the parks and a pair of sandals for post-race. :)

A lot of people will be wearing their race shirts that day! This past weekend I wore a race shirt and jeans to Yachtsman and didn't get any funny looks (as far as I know ;)). Just don't forget your medal. :)

After the Wine and Dine Half I wore the Half race shirt, black leggings, and tennis shoes to MK and Epcot. I was worried people would think I'm crazy or call me out on it but it was fine. I was comfortable and I've work workout capris in the summer to the park because it's hot. Sometimes jeans just feel weird after an entire day of walking around and sitting on rides lol.

I did, thank you! I got to run the other 3 races. :) I really feel bad for people who weren't registered for any of the other 3 - to have your only race of the weekend canceled would have been pretty upsetting.

Having said that, I think Disney made the right call and I'm impressed that they are offering refunds, deferrals, etc. when they didn't have to do that.

For the half and GSC, yes - they don't release the Corrals ahead of time for the 5K and 10K, but we can guess! :)
Does this come in an email? It's been 4 yrs since I've done the phm, and we didn't know our corrals until we got to the expo

Does this come in an email? It's been 4 yrs since I've done the phm, and we didn't know our corrals until we got to the expo
For the 10K and 5K, you'll find out at the expo when you get your bib. For the half/GSC, runDisney will post them on their website. And someone will post the link here the second it goes up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter