2017 TEA Theme Park Attendance report

I'm not saying they let them die ... just not make a big investment to try to make them more than they are. Maybe some day but doesn't seem to be a priority for Disney

Agreed. That was the question I was trying to ask above. Is there a tipping point where Disney is almost obligated (not the right word, perhaps makes economic sense) to invest in their water parks? Is it immediately after the 50th?

Haha, Universal can't even get in the top two for Orlando water parks!

Congrats to AK for now being the second most popular theme park at Disney World! Look at that bump in attendance, that's like Harry Potter levels. Pandora continues to prove itself as a smashing success.

So Universal Studios at its best STILL can't beat Hollywood Studios at its worst. That's gotta be a punch to the gut, there's like 3 and a half attractions at HS. Watch those numbers go nuts in the next couple years. I think Universal can kiss the dream of ever beating a Disney Orlando theme park goodbye.

Agreed. That was the question I was trying to ask above. Is there a tipping point where Disney is almost obligated (not the right word, perhaps makes economic sense) to invest in their water parks? Is it immediately after the 50th?

ah, ok - and I guess my point was there a "tipping point" - it might be sufficient for them to just maintain them as is ... not let them die, but not really put big sums of money into them either

Until they make some indication that they want the water parks to be more than they are, then I don't think they will ever make a bit investment. So I don't think it is tied to finishing up any of the work in the other parks

Haha, Universal can't even get in the top two for Orlando water parks!

Congrats to AK for now being the second most popular theme park at Disney World! Look at that bump in attendance, that's like Harry Potter levels. Pandora continues to prove itself as a smashing success.

So Universal Studios at its best STILL can't beat Hollywood Studios at its worst. That's gotta be a punch to the gut, there's like 3 and a half attractions at HS. Watch those numbers go nuts in the next couple years. I think Universal can kiss the dream of ever beating a Disney Orlando theme park goodbye.
Yeah that site that optimistically predicted that it would surpass mgm (which is also predicting no screens for Nintendo attractions, claimed jk didn’t side with Disney over Disney wanting to do special merchandise, has predicted a shrek 4d closure for 10 years amongst other fallacies) has yet another false prediction. It is kind of funny. And I actually thought universal would beat Disney at least in one park this year.

Maybe since it’s this close Disney should invest in Epcot and animal kingdom, seeing how much of a boost pandora gave

Yeah that site that optimistically predicted that it would surpass mgm (which is also predicting no screens for Nintendo attractions, claimed jk didn’t side with Disney over Disney wanting to do special merchandise, has predicted a shrek 4d closure for 10 years amongst other fallacies) has yet another false prediction. It is kind of funny. And I actually thought universal would beat Disney at least in one park this year.

Maybe since it’s this close Disney should invest in Epcot and animal kingdom, seeing how much of a boost pandora gave

Well, EPCOT has Ratatouille, Guardians of the Galaxy, a new ride in the UK pavilion, updates to the center spire and potentially a new pavilion coming - so while not one "land", there is a lot new coming

Hear a lot on these forums regarding universal studios being a maor theat to walt disney world....honestly after seeing these results its not, not even close, personally I've not returned to universal for many years and to be honest i probably won't, but can we now put this one to bed

Hear a lot on these forums regarding universal studios being a maor theat to walt disney world....honestly after seeing these results its not, not even close, personally I've not returned to universal for many years and to be honest i probably won't, but can we now put this one to bed
We don't know official numbers so they may be even closer than this. This is the best estimate we have. Universal surely has increased in marketshare over the past few years.

We don't know official numbers so they may be even closer than this. This is the best estimate we have. Universal surely has increased in marketshare over the past few years.
I’m just going to add on to this. Truth be told as a whole resort it shouldn’t be. Individual parks though technically yes

I think that people forget that multi-day passes help the Disney parks. I would think that most visitors would purchase those and of course visit the less popular parks since they are included. It's a bit early to assume that Universal can't continue to make progress.

i am surprised about DHS though. To me it's such a horrible park that I'd rather go to just about anywhere. That of course will change.

Possible but Disneyland won't have a full year of Galaxy's Edge.
Just did a little number crunching if Disneyland gets another 2% increase in 2018 followed by a 10% increase in 2019 that puts it at 20.46 million. MK was at 20.45 in 17. So it seems possible Disneyland I would think would have a tougher time making a huge attendance jump since it’s already near or at capacity so often.

Just did a little number crunching if Disneyland gets another 2% increase in 2018 followed by a 10% increase in 2019 that puts it at 20.46 million. MK was at 20.45 in 17. So it seems possible Disneyland I would think would have a tougher time making a huge attendance jump since it’s already near or at capacity so often.

Also figure MK will continue to go up, at least a bit,

In thinking about these numbers further (Orlando water parks), I could see Aquatica continuing to expand (e.g. Ray Rush) and push harder knowing the 2 WDW water parks are declining. Since WDW's focus would likely be on theme parks for the foreseeable future, it could be an ideal time to capture that part of the market in Orlando.

Also figure MK will continue to go up, at least a bit,
It was basically flat in 17 but it’s pretty hard to predict what the the next two years would bring. I really have no idea if a 10% increase at Disneyland when Galaxy Edge opens is too much to predict or if it’s too low. Just threw a # out there that seemed reasonable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter