2018 Princess Half Marathon

From what I understand, a parent or guardian can pick up race packets for minor children.

The course, for the most part, is relatively flat, with one decent sized hill as you approach the Contemporary before you hit the mile 5 point, and then another hill (on-ramp) just after mile 10. This is the one that typically kills everyone because 1) it's curved and at an angle, and 2) usually the sun has risen by this point, and you're running east, so the sun is blazing right in your face. Thankfully, the Army Man from Toy Story is usually posted up at this point and is yelling stuff like, "Keep it moving, soldier!" over his loudspeaker, so that helps. :)
I've attached the course map with stars where the hills are for reference. The other hills on the course a relatively brief, like going up a ramp to a parking lot, so those are the only two hills I can recall that I've struggled with in the past.

I can't really comment on corrals since the last time I ran PHM was in 2016, prior to when they started doing mini waves. When I did W&D in November, I was toward the middle of the front wave and it was crowded, yes, but I was still able to warm up a little prior to stepping off at the start.

My sister was telling me about this guy and how, as she was running up the hill (I think it was the one between WWoF and DHS during the marathon, but same drill sergeant), he was yelling at the man next to her, "Get up that hill, soldier! When a girl in a tutu is passing you you are moving too slow!" :rotfl2:

I can do 50 degrees. But for those starting n later corals it can get quite warm.
I'm with you. This Texas girl HATES running if it is below 50º and am not too keen on running if it is below 60º. It was in the 30's last Saturday when I did my 13.1. I was still freezing when the run was over. It doesn't make any sense to me to have to have on the seat warmers after a 13 mile run. That should make you warm all on its own.

Thanks for all the tips on shorts! I appreciate it!

New question, if you don't mind! Does anybody know if they run any buses from parks to the Expo and vice versa? Or do you have to go to a resort first or take a Minnie Van?

Thanks! I'm getting a little worried about the heat, too, but I'm just going to go down there and focus on having a fun day and let it unfold. But I'd still rather be cold and dry than hot and muggy! :)

Thanks for all the tips on shorts! I appreciate it!

New question, if you don't mind! Does anybody know if they run any buses from parks to the Expo and vice versa? Or do you have to go to a resort first or take a Minnie Van?

Thanks! I'm getting a little worried about the heat, too, but I'm just going to go down there and focus on having a fun day and let it unfold. But I'd still rather be cold and dry than hot and muggy! :)

The Expo buses only run between the WWoS and the resorts, they don't go to/from the parks.

I'm definitely worried about the humidity, and will most likely run with water and fuel. I love running in 30-40 degrees and it will be much warmer!

Did a short run yesterday in the high 70's and humid. It was miserable but hopefully it will get me acclimated for the real thing.

Thanks to everyone for all your thoughtful responses about what you bring for race day!

I've decided that my running belt just won't cut it, so I'm going to run to the mall or kohls tonight to see what I can find that will be more helpful in carrying more than just my phone/is easier to get my phone out of.

Counting down the days to Disney!!

I live 40 minutes east of WDW. I have been out early running over the past two weeks. Temps have been in the mid 60's around 5-6am which isn't bad, but the dew point has been in the 60's too which means the air is saturated with water (in other words....cool & HUMID & foggy).
I'm 90 miles west of WDW and same here. I ran after work the other night, so say around 6pm: 80-something degrees, 60% humidity, light breeze... perfection! For a Floridian. :rotfl:May be a touch warm for the northerners. ;)

This sounds almost identical to the conditions at the Wine & Dine this past November.
Yep, that's exactly like it's been this week.

I have a question for Princess veterans, particularly those who may have started in a lower corral for one of the races. I'm starting in corral C, but have family in H. Their plan is to run as fast as they can to catch up to me (they can manage an 8:15/8:30 mm). My question is, based on reports I've heard of course congestion in the lower corrals, do you think it's possible for them to run that fast?
Absolutely! Maybe not 100% of the time and not continuously - there are sections of the course that narrow and you have to go at whatever the prevailing speed happens to be at that time, but they should be able to run their pace most of the time.

Thanks to everyone for all your thoughtful responses about what you bring for race day!

I've decided that my running belt just won't cut it, so I'm going to run to the mall or kohls tonight to see what I can find that will be more helpful in carrying more than just my phone/is easier to get my phone out of.

Counting down the days to Disney!!

I use pants/capris that have stretchy leg pockets and put my phone in there. Very easy to access to get photos.

Maybe not 100% of the time and not continuously - there are sections of the course that narrow and you have to go at whatever the prevailing speed happens to be at that time, but they should be able to run their pace most of the time.

Especially if they understand that there will be crowding and that they should split up and not run as a clump. There will be enough clumping in the people they’ll be going by.

I think I read that they are having having buses from the Expo to Disney Springs. Not sure if that helps the OP, but might help someone. Especially since Sprinkles Cupcakes are Buy 1 get 1 free with a race bib or medal :)

Dawn

Here is the bus info from the expo to disney springs.

Untitled.png

We will have a car for the weekend, as my daughter lives in Florida and will be driving to meet me. We will use the buses for transportation the day of the races, but I was wondering about driving to the expo instead of using the buses. Anyone have any experience with driving themselves to the expo? Just wondering if parking will be difficult and it makes more sense just to stick to the buses.

We will have a car for the weekend, as my daughter lives in Florida and will be driving to meet me. We will use the buses for transportation the day of the races, but I was wondering about driving to the expo instead of using the buses. Anyone have any experience with driving themselves to the expo? Just wondering if parking will be difficult and it makes more sense just to stick to the buses.

If we drive instead of fly, we always drive to the expo. It’s pretty easy. They have volunteers directing you, plenty of signs and it’s free.

I drive up from Atlanta and I always go to expo first on my way in and go to resort afterwards. Parking is no problem. They have people directing traffic and so many people are coming ni, getting bib, and leaving that there is normally no issues parking. Never had an issue doing it.

So, question of the day, what costumes/themes are people planning on for the different races? :)

Disney runner is a perfectly acceptable answer!:earboy2:

Absolutely! Maybe not 100% of the time and not continuously - there are sections of the course that narrow and you have to go at whatever the prevailing speed happens to be at that time, but they should be able to run their pace most of the time.

Great, thank you so much! We’re really hoping to meet up in magic kingdom for pictures!

Especially if they understand that there will be crowding and that they should split up and not run as a clump. There will be enough clumping in the people they’ll be going by.
Yes, They are definitely aware it will be crowded. And it’s just two of them, so they will not be a clump :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter