2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Do you think they consider race date along with the race time? So, if a race was from 2017 will it be valued less than one from 2018? I have a 10K POT from 2017 that 46:59, and one from yesterday that's 47:16. I'd love to use the faster time, but wonder if their magical computer system would place me differently than if I used a more recent race date. I also have a half POT from a 2017 trail running race that's 1:48:05 - but it was on gravel so I don't really want to use that.

Or, am I really over-thinking this? (I'm known for doing just that.) I really have no idea what to expect. I'm trying hard to get a spot in corral A, because that's my personal dream. Beyond just being there, that is. Like many of you, I'm pushing myself to run stronger because of this dreamy goal race ahead of me. I applaud all the new runners here - you are incredible and inspiring - and I mean that sincerely. You have to work far harder at this race than I ever will.

Lastly, is it realistic to try and run the half as an actual race? I'll stop for character photos in the 5K and 10K... but cannot see myself stopping in the half because my legs stiffen up when I stop during longer runs.

Sorry for all the questions, which probably seem ridiculous to most of you. This is my first real runDisney event besides the Castaway Cay 5K fun run.

Do you think they consider race date along with the race time? So, if a race was from 2017 will it be valued less than one from 2018? I have a 10K POT from 2017 that 46:59, and one from yesterday that's 47:16. I'd love to use the faster time, but wonder if their magical computer system would place me differently than if I used a more recent race date. I also have a half POT from a 2017 trail running race that's 1:48:05 - but it was on gravel so I don't really want to use that.

RunDisney doesn't take the date into account. My 10K PR happens to be from December 2017. I recently e-mailed Run Disney and asked what it would equate to for Princess half marathon corral placement. They gave me exactly the number I was expecting. That question is an academic one anyway, though, since any of the three times you list would put you in the same corral.

This thread has more information on POT: https://www.disboards.com/threads/pot-proof-of-time-race-equivalency-cutoff-confirmed-times.3699036/

Also, you probably already know this, but make sure that whatever race you submit was officially timed, a certified course, and has results available online that you can link to. In another RunDisney group I'm in, I've seen anecdotes of people being placed in the last corral because, for example, their POT race wasn't chip timed. I know of trail races in particular that are not chip-timed, so I thought I'd just mention that.

Lastly, is it realistic to try and run the half as an actual race? I'll stop for character photos in the 5K and 10K... but cannot see myself stopping in the half because my legs stiffen up when I stop during longer runs.

You'll be in Corral A, so it is definitely possible if you don't make any character or bathroom stops, but it will probably still be slightly more difficult to race it than a regular road race. Looking at last year's corrals, I estimate there were around 600 people in Corral A. I'd recommend trying to get as close to the front of the corral as you can if you don't want to have to dodge people on the narrower parts of the course.

Thank you, @KaiyltnJ!

All my races are official and chip timed with online results, even the trail races. I emailed runDisney as well, since the chart you linked to seems way too liberal to me. I expected to have to run faster to make the cut for corral A.

We are training for a 10K right now to try and get a good proof of time in. We may since we are already training do The Urban Bourbon Half marathon in Louisville the end of October, then ramp down for a couple of weeks and start working back up for the Half! I am SO EXCITED!

The Urban Bourbon Half Marathon?!?! That sounds super fun!

Do you think they consider race date along with the race time?

No, I used the same 10K as POT for something like 2 years (as long as they'd let me LOL) and got placed in the same basic spot each time.

Lastly, is it realistic to try and run the half as an actual race?

Sure. It'll be easier if you're in A.

I emailed runDisney as well, since the chart you linked to seems way too liberal to me. I expected to have to run faster to make the cut for corral A.

rundisney is slower than other fields of runners, and Princess I think is the slowest of rundisney. (that's not meant to be insulting to anyone...it is what it is...when fully trained I'm a middle-finisher at disney, and locally I'm one of the last to finish)

So what you're seeing is correct.

rundisney is slower than other fields of runners, and Princess I think is the slowest of rundisney. (that's not meant to be insulting to anyone...it is what it is...when fully trained I'm a middle-finisher at disney, and locally I'm one of the last to finish)

So what you're seeing is correct.

Yep. RunDisney (and Princess in particular) are not your typical field of runners. Lots of beginners and non-serious recreational runners. Which makes it an awesome race, in my opinion. But it also means that other than the elites, the top corrals aren't as competitive as a typical half.

Thank you, @KaiyltnJ!

All my races are official and chip timed with online results, even the trail races. I emailed runDisney as well, since the chart you linked to seems way too liberal to me. I expected to have to run faster to make the cut for corral A.

If you don't believe us, you can just look at Disney's official corral chart from last year's Princess race:

IMG_7343-650x403.jpg

Corral A is an estimated finish of 1:50:00 or faster. You have a recent half time of 1:48:05, so you're well within the limit for Corral A.

This race still hasn't sold out! Are they selling more bibs? Was last year special because it was an anniversary year? What gives?

This race still hasn't sold out! Are they selling more bibs? Was last year special because it was an anniversary year? What gives?

I know! I was wondering the same thing. Especially because the 5K and 10K went so quickly! The 10K was sold out before 1pm and the 5K by I think around 9pm. I know those go the fastest, but I wasn't expecting the other races to go so slowly. I'll be very curious to see how many bibs there are compared to last year.

The fact that challenge bibs are still available also makes me wonder if they might eventually split some of those up and offer more 10K bibs?

Hi this is my first Disney race and I am trying to figure out every and be cost effective. My boyfriend is coming with me but not running the challenge with me. I am trying to make it as cost effective as possible. Any recommendations on where to stay or park ticket deals? We are flying from Laredo, Texas and only plan do do a 4 day weekend.

I was looking into air bnb spots close by. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Hi this is my first Disney race and I am trying to figure out every and be cost effective. My boyfriend is coming with me but not running the challenge with me. I am trying to make it as cost effective as possible. Any recommendations on where to stay or park ticket deals? We are flying from Laredo, Texas and only plan do do a 4 day weekend.

I was looking into air bnb spots close by. Any and all suggestions are welcome!
Hi! This is only my second runDisney weekend, so I'm no expert, but I know I had a LOT of questions before my first and found the disboards to be very helpful. I don't know anything about air bnb, but I just wanted to give you some things to consider/compare when figuring out where to stay.

The first thing that I thought about after reading your post was transportation. Will you be renting a car? Taking cabs/uber/lyft/etc? Keep transportation costs in mind when deciding where to stay. We stayed at Pop Century last time for Princess weekend. Originally we were booked to stay off-site, but then changed our mind after considering the price of the rental car. We lucked out and were able to book our room on New Years Day with a promotional discount. It was the only value resort still available for our dates. While it may not have been the most cost effective choice, it was ideal for us because:
A) We like staying in Disney.
B) Transportation to and from the airport is included.
C) Being new to runDisney, it gave me piece of mind knowing transportation to and from the expo and all of the runs would be provided. I was most concerned about driving to and from each run at 3 in the morning, not knowing what traffic would be like, and not really knowing the area.

A lot of people stay off-site for Disney trips, and a lot of people drive to the runs (which does sound preferable, I would've liked to have had the option to sit in a car while waiting to enter the corrals before the races started!). I'm sure you'll get better advice here. I would recommend putting all of this into consideration, and price out all of your options. If you have the money to make reservations/deposits in the meantime (as long as they are refundable) I would try to make one where you think you are most likely to stay sooner than later. I know Princess weekend is very popular, so I'm not sure how quickly places will fill up.

A small piece of advice - we've started using is paying for our trips with Disney gift cards. If you have a local Target nearby and have a Target debit or credit card, you can save 5% on gift cards. Not a huge savings, but every little bit helps! We see it as saving 5% on purchases we would already be making anyway (food, souvenirs, your room, etc). If we are planning a trip, I'll pick up a card or two on each Target run, combine then on the Disney gift card website, and put them away for our next trip.

Hi! This is only my second runDisney weekend, so I'm no expert, but I know I had a LOT of questions before my first and found the disboards to be very helpful. I don't know anything about air bnb, but I just wanted to give you some things to consider/compare when figuring out where to stay.

The first thing that I thought about after reading your post was transportation. Will you be renting a car? Taking cabs/uber/lyft/etc? Keep transportation costs in mind when deciding where to stay. We stayed at Pop Century last time for Princess weekend. Originally we were booked to stay off-site, but then changed our mind after considering the price of the rental car. We lucked out and were able to book our room on New Years Day with a promotional discount. It was the only value resort still available for our dates. While it may not have been the most cost effective choice, it was ideal for us because:
A) We like staying in Disney.
B) Transportation to and from the airport is included.
C) Being new to runDisney, it gave me piece of mind knowing transportation to and from the expo and all of the runs would be provided. I was most concerned about driving to and from each run at 3 in the morning, not knowing what traffic would be like, and not really knowing the area.

A lot of people stay off-site for Disney trips, and a lot of people drive to the runs (which does sound preferable, I would've liked to have had the option to sit in a car while waiting to enter the corrals before the races started!). I'm sure you'll get better advice here. I would recommend putting all of this into consideration, and price out all of your options. If you have the money to make reservations/deposits in the meantime (as long as they are refundable) I would try to make one where you think you are most likely to stay sooner than later. I know Princess weekend is very popular, so I'm not sure how quickly places will fill up.

A small piece of advice - we've started using is paying for our trips with Disney gift cards. If you have a local Target nearby and have a Target debit or credit card, you can save 5% on gift cards. Not a huge savings, but every little bit helps! We see it as saving 5% on purchases we would already be making anyway (food, souvenirs, your room, etc). If we are planning a trip, I'll pick up a card or two on each Target run, combine then on the Disney gift card website, and put them away for our next trip.

Thank you so much! This is helpful and I was thinking about staying on the resort for peace of mind as well because I’m nervous that it will be so crowded which will cause me to stress. I was anticipating using Uber/lyft while out there. I am going to check out the resorts and see what is available just to have that peace of mind. I’ve never stayed at a Disney resort so I’m going to have to do homework on those.

So I don’t know if anyone could answer this question or if you are in the same boat as I am... anything will help! So I registered for the Fairy Tale Challenge (my first ever!) while I was at the expo during the Star Wars Half Weekend with one of the Walt Disney Travel Agents. She told me I was already signed up now so I didn’t have to go through the registration like people who haven’t signed up already. I wanted to link it to my account and purchase some of the commerative items (since you are only able to do so during the actual registration online). I emailed Disney and they said I should get an email to link my registration but I haven’t gotten anything and not sure when I am or what to do! I haven’t signed up for a race since they changed from the active.com website so I don’t know how the new sign up or accounts are like! Thanks you to anyone who can maybe help! Have a magical day!!

So I don’t know if anyone could answer this question or if you are in the same boat as I am... anything will help! So I registered for the Fairy Tale Challenge (my first ever!) while I was at the expo during the Star Wars Half Weekend with one of the Walt Disney Travel Agents. She told me I was already signed up now so I didn’t have to go through the registration like people who haven’t signed up already. I wanted to link it to my account and purchase some of the commerative items (since you are only able to do so during the actual registration online). I emailed Disney and they said I should get an email to link my registration but I haven’t gotten anything and not sure when I am or what to do! I haven’t signed up for a race since they changed from the active.com website so I don’t know how the new sign up or accounts are like! Thanks you to anyone who can maybe help! Have a magical day!!

Our TA told us that she would forward us links to register about 3 weeks after general registration opens. So I'm expecting ours sometime in the next week or so.

Thank you so much! This is helpful and I was thinking about staying on the resort for peace of mind as well because I’m nervous that it will be so crowded which will cause me to stress. I was anticipating using Uber/lyft while out there. I am going to check out the resorts and see what is available just to have that peace of mind. I’ve never stayed at a Disney resort so I’m going to have to do homework on those.
Any time! I’ve gotten a lot of invaluable advice here on the boards, so I try to pay it back whenever I can!

Check out the prices of the value resorts, as well as the others to compare. Also know that you can book a room, and if a promotional discount comes up after the fact, you can call and have it applied to your reservation. As I said before, we liked the convenience of the transportation. The resort was close to ESPN where the expo is, which was great because we totally underestimated how long we would spend there! We were offered the option to turn down housekeeping services at the resort, and received a Disney gift card for it, which was a nice additional savings if you don’t mind forgoing daily housekeeping.

Good luck with your search!

I just got my link a couple days ago for Marathon weekend from my travel agent. I think they have to finish all those before they start on Princess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter