2020 dining plan changes- game changer! DxDP - any plan changes or credit sharing issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving forward, yes it is acceptable.

However, didn't the rules always state that it needed to be redeemed for a child meal "where available", but could be redeemed for adult meals from CS restaurants without kids menus?

This is not a matter of closing a loophole, it is changing the rules after both parties agreed to the terms. Yes, Disney reserves the right to make changes, doesn't mean it is ethical to sell one product but provide another.

But isn’t that what everyone was doing, purchasing one product - the child’s dining plan and then using it as another - the adult dining plan? The rules stated that kids needed to order from the kids menu. People just knew it wasn’t enforced so they exploited it. You can’t now call Disney unethical for enforcing rules that were always in place. There are a lot of places to eat at Disney - only a few don’t have kids meals. Use the plan where kids meals are offered or pay for an adult dining plan for the child. Better yet pay out of packet and order them whatever you like.

But isn’t that what everyone was doing, purchasing one product - the child’s dining plan and then using it as another - the adult dining plan? The rules stated that kids needed to order from the kids menu. People just knew it wasn’t enforced so they exploited it. You can’t now call Disney unethical for enforcing rules that were always in place. There are a lot of places to eat at Disney - only a few don’t have kids meals. Use the plan where kids meals are offered or pay for an adult dining plan for the child. Better yet pay out of packet and order them whatever you like.

No, I disagree about what I'm specifically talking about. The implied rule was that if there was not a kid's menu option the kid could order off the adult menu.

My next trip isn't until December. This gives me more than adequate time to temper my expectations and make other arrangements. People checking in today or this month, likely do not know. Not everyone checks the dis daily.

It may be few restaurants, my my oldest's (who is now a Disney adult, so again, this doesn't impact me) favorite restaurant is Yorkshire. She actually has my DH use a copy cat recipe to make the fish for her birthday dinner every year.

Based on the line (and the amount of kids there), I hardly think this is uncommon. If Disney was going to change that exception, one of two things had to happen: advanced notice or kids menus for those restaurants.

Again, I'm not talking about the loophole, I'm talking about the commonly understood "Child credits are to be used for child menu items where available" implications.

Flametree, La Cantina de Angel, Casey's, TBD in HS. They have more unique options, but still SUPER limited. Flametree has no BBQ on the kids' menu so I guess they both get drumsticks and we swap. Happy kids will make for a smoother trip.
at Flame Tree get thepulled pork fries for a snack credit-more than enough for an adult or child.

At La Cantina get the Nachos - plenty to share.

If you use your kid credit at the resort, you can pick 2 sides and an entree. I know that at Mara there was a section that had oranges, fruit, etc. And, the kid's burger combo got fries and one side - it was not much if any smaller than the adult burger and the toppings bar is pretty good.

at Flame Tree get thepulled pork fries for a snack credit-more than enough for an adult or child.

At La Cantina get the Nachos - plenty to share.

While these are great suggestions, it means they will not be using their child QS credits. What does OP do with leftover child credits?

Random Question - Can you still sub out a drink for a different snack item if you want?
Last week, we were told “no subbing” at BoG for lunch.
The subbing snack for drink is not a universal given. It is sometimes at resort food court only.
is it PoP that says no but AoA that says yes?
no idea if that little gift will continue or not.
We had zero issues subbing drink for dessert at POP many, many times last week.

I ordered a kids meal in August without any issue.

But in August, a QS credit was just a QS credit and there was no distinction between adult and child.

OP should still be able to use a kid's credit to purchase a kid's meal. However, if they are trying to order more kid's meals than they have kids, then that COULD be a problem. We just don't know yet.

But in August, a QS credit was just a QS credit and there was no distinction between adult and child.

OP should still be able to use a kid's credit to purchase a kid's meal. However, if they are trying to order more kid's meals than they have kids, then that COULD be a problem. We just don't know yet.
my kids are hungry...they each want two meals...🤣

Unrelated...I am not eating breakfast this morning 🤣

I feel like I remember that BoG has been one of the ones that’s always been anti-subbing. But I could just be making that up 🤣
I think they were one of the first I read about not allowing it. I’m sure people were using their drink entitlement to switch out for a soup and then still taking a fountain drink since they’re self serve.

Just an update on our dining experience at Boma last night on DXdp.
One room with one adult and three kids on dxdp met us (off-site group of three adults). The Server allowed us to share the adult credits. The room with dxdp only had three adult credits remaining and 9 child credits. The server initially said it wouldn’t be an issue as she’d use a child credit to cover the 4th adult guest. However she came back and said the system simply would not allow it. So long story short. (Based on our experience last night). Sharing credits is still ok. But there’s no getting around the fact that credits are no longer pooled.

One room with one adult and three kids on dxdp met us (off-site group of three adults). The Server allowed us to share the adult credits. The room with dxdp only had three adult credits remaining and 9 child credits. The server initially said it wouldn’t be an issue as she’d use a child credit to cover the 4th adult guest. However she came back and said the system simply would not allow it. So long story short. (Based on our experience last night). Sharing credits is still ok. But there’s no getting around the fact that credits are no longer pooled.
Thanks for providing this info in such a complete fashion.

Thanks for posting...

Looks like there will still be some value in the DDP and DxDP under certain circumstances; my kids are all Disney Adults now, but not very big eaters. By eating at Table Service restaurants and sharing a TS credit (except at Via Napoli >:(!) could potentially be a money "saver" (when you include the app). But, on the flip-side, eating at AYCE restaurants would be a money "loser"! In addition, using a TS credit on "packages" (like Fantasmic or RoL) also has value. And, I guess there's still some value if you wanted to be restrictive and order the most expensive item every time.

I just don't see the benefit though of the Child QS credits anymore..."hey Johnny, guess what's for lunch today...yeah, it's Chicken nuggets and apple slices!" "Hey Johnny, guess what's for lunch today...yeah, it's Chicken nuggets and fries!" "Hey Johnny, guess what's for lunch today...we're going to try something different today...yeah, it's Chicken nuggets and dried-out carrot sticks!" Although, Disney is making some of the kid's menus more expansive and creative, but still...

Let's all just take a step back and not have this thread turn into a series of accusations and arguments 😀 I get that this is the DIS and that's what we're supposed to do and all but maybe this thread could be different 😜

My feeling on the matter, I think a child that wants a hot dog should be able to use their QS meal on a hot dog. If this report is true, Disney may want to address the matter because to my knowledge, there is no QS kids meal hot dog available at the entire park. Lunching Pad, Casey's and Cosmic Rays all have them as adult meals though. Perhaps Disney should add a kids hot dog to these menus or simply allow a child to order a plain hot dog using their QS meal.

I also don't feel that it's my place to tell somebody what they should/shouldn't be upset about. If this is truly important to somebody and they feel that they've been misled, they certainly have the right to voice that concern at guest services and Disney is in control of that outcome. I'm also not sure that ordering a hot dog at Casey's rises to the level of loophole exploitation.
At the same time we need to realize that this all happened on January 1, 2020, arguably one of the very busiest days in the MK the entire year!! I cannot imagine the frustration of waiting in a very long line (all food lines are long on Jan 1) only to be told I could not order food for 1 or more people in my party due to changes they made overnight.
I would have paid for the child(ren)'s meal(s) out of pocket but then paid a visit to Guest Services. I don't think being upset is unreasonable.

Personally, I feel they chose to make this unannounced change on one of the worst days to do so due to the business of the parks.

At the same time we need to realize that this all happened on January 1, 2020, arguably one of the very busiest days in the MK the entire year!! I cannot imagine the frustration of waiting in a very long line (all food lines are long on Jan 1) only to be told I could not order food for 1 or more people in my party due to changes they made overnight.
I would have paid for the child(ren)'s meal(s) out of pocket but then paid a visit to Guest Services. I don't think being upset is unreasonable.

Personally, I feel they chose to make this unannounced change on one of the worst days to do so due to the business of the parks.

When my fam bought the dining plan we understood who got what and how many each got. We never thought of splitting it up or using kids for adults, because we just read how it works on their site and assumed you couldn't just use it however you felt but within their guidelines. Its kinda insane for people to think that you bought kids meals and that an adult will get that meal. Why not just use what each person can use or not get the DDP?

As someone said "I just don't see the benefit though of the Child QS credits anymore"
Well, then don't get the DDP, pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter