2020 runDisney Virtual Summer Series

Wow! I sure was wrong about that! Sorry. :(

Serious question - why would a virtual run sell-out? The only physical capacity-constraint I can think of would be medals. Is the lead time really 4-5 months? There's a local virtual race (#RunningNotCancelled) that came up with some nice medals in just a few weeks. Granted, it has far less participants than a runDisney race. Is there a chance registration opens up again?
The supply chains for something like this really can be pretty long--the boat from China is 2 months by itself. Depending on what else the factories in China that produce these medals are doing, they may have capacity constraints to deal with after being shutdown for a couple of months and now starting back up. In the toy industry, all orders for Christmas are made late winter/early spring which is why every year there ends up being a hot toy that is hard to find--no time for the factory to make more and get it to the US without air freight (which destroys the profit margins). Having said that, I won't be surprised if Disney sees the demand for this and is calling the factory now to see about increasing the initial order. If that happens, expect a second sign up day to randomly appear.

Wow! I sure was wrong about that! Sorry. :(

Serious question - why would a virtual run sell-out? The only physical capacity-constraint I can think of would be medals. Is the lead time really 4-5 months? There's a local virtual race (#RunningNotCancelled) that came up with some nice medals in just a few weeks. Granted, it has far less participants than a runDisney race. Is there a chance registration opens up again?

This came up last year when the single races sold out. The speculation was that maybe if the Challenge didn't sell out Disney would open up single races again in order to offload the extra medals. I don't think that occurred. Maybe someone else can remember whether the Challenge did indeed sell out last year. At any rate, this year's Challenge will surely sell out since the medals are going to be so sought after and no one has anything better to do. :rolleyes1

I was only going to do 'bib only' for the Disneyland Paris weekend but now that I can't do the virtual and our Greece trip was cancelled because of Corona; I'm doing a whole package in September which means (as long as it takes place) we get our race entry now.

I think DLP bib only sales should be available in June.
I have a room reservation with my DVC points, and I couldn't add a bib (asked DVC, asked DLP - no go). So I am waiting on this and hoping it doesn't go down the tubes, because 197 points (17 from last year, 100 from this yr and 80 from next year) are on the line. On top of the cancellation rumors about SWC in Anaheim in late August, I need some sunshine!

It just occurred to me that the three races aren't set to specific months like last year. The race completion timeframes all start today and end August 16th. Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to enter finishing times. You can download a blank finisher certificate for each race right now, but it won't have your name or runtime printed on it. I get the logic since many of us have a lot of time on our hands, but still... I liked my printed finisher certificates from last year. Am I just jumping the gun? Is the time submission portion of the site yet to come do you think?

Last edited:
I'm glad, too. Which race?
Pre everything I was just going to do Mansion but with my May race indefinitely postponed, my Summer Sunrise series more then likely being canceled (fingers crossed it’s instead done virtual), and my Fall races in jeopardy due to potential CDC regulations on large gatherings I caved and am doing the series
Plan to still run June/July/Aug

Am I wrong to think though this is quite expensive for basically a medal?

I just finished a virtual race through a different company, and it was $20 (medal included). Plus $20 more if you wanted a shirt with that theme.

I just finished a virtual race through a different company, and it was $20 (medal included). Plus $20 more if you wanted a shirt with that theme.

Yes but we're dealing with Disney here(!), and they are considered collectible Disneyana as well. Just buying LE Disney pins that are 1-2" cost $17.99 so it's all relative. I think the Challenge is the best bargain since you're saving $15 for the 4 medals.

Would be nice if Rundisney can donate a portion to an organization like Direct Relief that provide essential equipment and medical protection items to healthcare workers beyond what they give to Fisher House. Just would have been a nice touch on their end IMO.

I’m doing the Staycation Races “stay home half marathon” and it’s roughly that price for a medal/shirt combo. Even at the higher price tag, I would have signed up for the Haunted Mansion virtual today, had I realized registration started at 10. I didn’t check until just before noon ET and it was already sold out. Ooooops.

Could you tell me which company? I’m looking at Moon Joggers.

I’m doing the Staycation Races “stay home half marathon” and it’s roughly that price for a medal/shirt combo. Even at the higher price tag, I would have signed up for the Haunted Mansion virtual today, had I realized registration started at 10. I didn’t check until just before noon ET and it was already sold out. Ooooops.

I was ready to sign up as well for the Haunted Mansion. I knew it was at 10 this morning, but I thought about it around 730, then I forgot about it by 10am came. I can def understand the price tag more if a shirt came with it

I jut wrote them a very strongly worded letter. May not help, but they need the negative feedback.

They basically said that we can still register but have our medal shipped to the USA?! Then of course it would be our responsibility to somehow retrieve this medal...

Thanks for the heads up. I registered since this Saturday's race was cancelled (and I am getting a refund) and I am still hoping to sign up for the DLP half in September. I am also on deck for the W&D 10k, so these will be great preps.
I used both the 2018 and 2019 virtual summer series to prepare for the ramp up to Dopey training. Worked well in both years!
This is an unusually fast sell out for the virtual series, right? Currently only the challenge remains. Wonder how long that one will last.
Extremely fast, but I suspect the various race cancellations really played a part in this. If you've been training for a now cancelled race, this is at least an opportunity to have something to show it for it if that interests you.
I think the popularity was based on 2 things, 1. the theme was fun and 2. most of us have nothing better to do/people had tons of races cancelled.
I agree that people loved the them. Then add all the race cancellations in.
For sure, this theme is the best of the five they have done. They definitely win too with everyone being home.
And then choose of the most beloved attractions in Disney theme park history for the medals.
The Star Wars virtual half also sold out this year, but it did not sell out until after they cancelled Rival Run weekend. I think a virtual race is more likely to sell out when races across the country cancel because people who have been training for races are looking for something to commemorate that race.

It is possible that they may be able to get more medals, but will have to delay shipping those until later.
In the toy industry, all orders for Christmas are made late winter/early spring which is why every year there ends up being a hot toy that is hard to find--no time for the factory to make more and get it to the US without air freight (which destroys the profit margins).
This is the single biggest reason why baby Yoda from The Mandalorian was not available last year after the show debuted. I think they had a very good idea of what they had, but chose to not make toys, et all until after the show debuted. It was so much more awesome to see that on the show when it aired instead of having it spoiled by a toy release weeks before, which is exactly what would have happened.
Maybe someone else can remember whether the Challenge did indeed sell out last year.
It did, but not until after Avengers Endgame was released in theaters. I signed up for the challenge after the movie.
Signed up for the challenge this morning. I was going to do the challenge anyway, but I absolutely love the medal for it.
I was always fairly certain that I would do the Space Mountain race, but decided that I liked the Haunted Mansion medal and challenge medals well enough to go for the whole thing.
It just occurred to me that the three races aren't set to specific months like last year. The race completion timeframes all start today and end August 16th. Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to enter finishing times. You can download a blank finisher certificate for each race right now, but it won't have your name or runtime printed on it. I get the logic since many of us have a lot of time on our hands, but still... I liked my printed finisher certificates from last year. Am I just jumping the gun? Is the time submission portion of the site yet to come do you think?
They just announced the registration date for this yesterday so it will likely come.

I have seen virtual races out in California that are not much cheaper than the live race. Granted they came with all the shirts, swag, etc. However, I think there's a decent number of people who will look at the medal first and foremost. If I'm going to run a virtual race, I would spend more for a medal that I liked better even if it did not come with any other swag.

Just registered for the challenge. I'm surprised how fast the individual races sold out

Too bad runDisney won't open up the fall Virtual 10K for Club runDisney members to everyone. It was a perk of the membership but it would be nice if everyone could do it, considering the circumstances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter