2020 Tropical Storms/Hurricanes

Florida is now in Eta's path. Looks like the dipping front is projected to steer it to FL which I was worried about last Thursday AM.

https://www.naplesnews.com/story/we...-path-category-5-florida-where-go/6136107002/
We go to WDW early next week. A few models have it going directly through Orlando it looks like... These models are about as accurate as Disney bus driver rumors at the few days out mark right?

I’m new at this, would WDW parks operate during a TS?

https://www.clickorlando.com/weathe...ne-for-eta-still-includes-portion-of-florida/

We go to WDW early next week. A few models have it going directly through Orlando it looks like... These models are about as accurate as Disney bus driver rumors at the few days out mark right?

https://www.clickorlando.com/weathe...ne-for-eta-still-includes-portion-of-florida/

Yes, the models are now in pretty good agreement that central Florida will be impacted (rain/winds). I think the timeline looks like Monday/Tuesday is going to be the projected landfall. I get the sense this is will not cause a closure at WDW, but.......

Keep an eye on the local news (www.wesh.com, www.fox35orlando.com, you already have another URL).

Yeah it’ll only be a TS, not a hurricane. And that far inland the winds shouldn’t that bad. Even here in Tampa I’m not expecting too much from this one. Just some rain and wind Sunday and Monday.

What are the chances my flight to Orlando on Monday that is expected to land around 11:15am is delayed?
It’s very hard to tell. It has tracked more closely to the coast (and will then just sit and spin off the west coast for a few days). But to know how it will effect MCO flights is tough. A few days ago I would have said you’d have no worries and it was a 0% chance you’d be effected. Now though (and it’s a horrible way to put it) it’s more than a 0% chance and less than a 100% chance.

It’s very hard to tell. It has tracked more closely to the coast (and will then just sit and spin off the west coast for a few days). But to know how it will effect MCO flights is tough. A few days ago I would have said you’d have no worries and it was a 0% chance you’d be effected. Now though (and it’s a horrible way to put it) it’s more than a 0% chance and less than a 100% chance.
That's how I feel haha. My wife and I dealt with almost this exact scenario the last time we came to Disney when Irma hit. I didn't think a tropical storm would be of concern in November but I guess 2020 strikes again.

Our first WDW trip and I haven’t been to Florida in over 14 years so I’m googling quick to learn about how this will play out.

It looks like it being a tropical storm lessens the severity? Is this why the forecast is showing so much rain this week? We arrive on Friday so looks like we’ll just hit the tail end of it but boy, I wasn’t expecting to see ‘hurricane in Florida’ come up in my newsfeed when we leave in five days. 2020 ammirite?

Hurricane Disney vets, I need your advice. We have an Epcot day and a dinner reservation we really wanted in Epcot scheduled for Thursday. I am worried the impacts of the storm will make it tough to enjoy the park. Would it be wise to go ahead and reschedule for Friday and risk losing the reservation? Or just wait it out for updated weather reports on Monday? What are the chances enough people would reschedule to Epcot on Friday and possibly reservations spaces become completely filled that day?

Somethings might shut down if the winds are too high. The Skyliner and the boats can’t operate in high winds, but the buses can. If there is too much rain some outside rides may close for a bit. For example if Aladdin’s carpets get too wet they won’t land in the right position and they’ll have to stop running them with guests until the land right.

Would it be wise to go ahead and reschedule for Friday and risk losing the reservation?
Looks like Epcot should be okay on Thursday. Maybe just raining. I would say it really depends on your plans. You can probably get another reservation on Friday if you want. Even with Veterans Day I doubt the parks will be that busy, especially with the weather forecast. Then again more locals seem to come out on Fridays, especially at Epcot.

Hurricane Disney vets, I need your advice. We have an Epcot day and a dinner reservation we really wanted in Epcot scheduled for Thursday. I am worried the impacts of the storm will make it tough to enjoy the park. Would it be wise to go ahead and reschedule for Friday and risk losing the reservation? Or just wait it out for updated weather reports on Monday? What are the chances enough people would reschedule to Epcot on Friday and possibly reservations spaces become completely filled that day?

I would look at the forecasts and timing today with the major caveat that it will likely change. Normally, I would say that WDW will not close as the winds in O-town should be relatively minor. But, given the current situation and reduced capacity (and cost saving resource measures), I also wouldn't be surprised if the parks are closed on the worst weather day this week.

If it were me, I would look at which day is predicted to be the worse over O-town and make my decision based on that.

I would look at the forecasts and timing today with the major caveat that it will likely change. Normally, I would say that WDW will not close as the winds in O-town should be relatively minor. But, given the current situation and reduced capacity (and cost saving resource measures), I also wouldn't be surprised if the parks are closed on the worst weather day this week.

If it were me, I would look at which day is predicted to be the worse over O-town and make my decision based on that.
Thank you! We’ve decided to go ahead and make the drive down as scheduled. But, we are going to push our first park day back to Friday to hopefully slightly reduce the rain chances.

The latest tracks of the storm have it skirting the coast early this week, going out into the gulf for a few days and then coming back with a direct hit here in Tampa and then going across the state. So this could be a week+ long rain and wind event. Going to get effects starting late tonight or tomorrow for a few days and then again Friday-Sunday at the end of the week when it makes its landfall again. Going to be a mess.

For those of us who live on the gulf coast, we learn to just wait and see. Maybe it’ll cause a ton of rain all week. Maybe it’ll become a hurricane. Maybe it’ll dissipate and do very little. We honestly never know. :( I do know that the parks are pretty empty when a storm is around, so there may be a silver lining. Disney is situated in such a way that it should be ok from this storm. Some things will close for a time if there are strong winds or rain, but overall, it’ll be less crowds and a lot of rain. That’s what I would expect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter