2020 Tropical Storms/Hurricanes

Now forecast to be at least a CAT 1 hurricane.
Okay, rethinking some plans here. We are staying at Ft. Wilderness with a golf cart rental. Will Disney move us? I have heard in the past with storms that folks staying at the Fort are moved to hotels due to all the trees surrounding the cabins. Also, thinking I should just cancel the golf cart rental altogether for the week.

Hurricane Disney vets, I need your advice. We have an Epcot day and a dinner reservation we really wanted in Epcot scheduled for Thursday. I am worried the impacts of the storm will make it tough to enjoy the park. Would it be wise to go ahead and reschedule for Friday and risk losing the reservation? Or just wait it out for updated weather reports on Monday? What are the chances enough people would reschedule to Epcot on Friday and possibly reservations spaces become completely filled that day?
Personally I’m holding all my plans steady for next week as this storm’s potential arrival is changing every 12 hours. Why not make a Fri res as a back but keep Thurs intact? You can make ADRs without a park res.

Personally I’m holding all my plans steady for next week as this storm’s potential arrival is changing every 12 hours. Why not make a Fri res as a back but keep Thurs intact? You can make ADRs without a park res.
Definitely a good backup plan. This is what I am working on, but I have another reservation in the Springs that is currently conflicting with the availability at Epcot. I will wait to see if additional availability pops up. I’m positive it will considering a few folks will likely cancel due to the storm.

Okay, rethinking some plans here. We are staying at Ft. Wilderness with a golf cart rental. Will Disney move us? I have heard in the past with storms that folks staying at the Fort are moved to hotels due to all the trees surrounding the cabins. Also, thinking I should just cancel the golf cart rental altogether for the week.

I have seen them relocate cabin guests to the hotels in the past. It is my understanding that you can cancel a golf cart rental >24 hours out without a penalty. I would call the reservation line to confirm.

If WDW goes under a hurricane warning, that is when the reservations/cancellation policies go into effect from what I recall. I would check their website to confirm.

Last edited:
Hurricane Disney vets, I need your advice. We have an Epcot day and a dinner reservation we really wanted in Epcot scheduled for Thursday. I am worried the impacts of the storm will make it tough to enjoy the park. Would it be wise to go ahead and reschedule for Friday and risk losing the reservation? Or just wait it out for updated weather reports on Monday? What are the chances enough people would reschedule to Epcot on Friday and possibly reservations spaces become completely filled that day?

Epcot is the best park to be at when it rains imo. Only test trek will be shut down. Only you can answer how you do in the rain. People of course will chicken out and some will only go for a short time.

One suggestion is make sure your poncho is of good quality, on a regular rainy day it really doesn't matter but this storm has some high gusts, I'm at work right now (sea world) and people are struggling with the cheap ponchos cause they just have no weight to them, umbrellas will be no help

One suggestion is make sure your poncho is of good quality, on a regular rainy day it really doesn't matter but this storm has some high gusts, I'm at work right now (sea world) and people are struggling with the cheap ponchos cause they just have no weight to them, umbrellas will be no help
In your opinion do you think the Sierra Designs poncho from Target is good enough quality for the upcoming week?
https://www.target.com/p/sierra-designs-adult-poncho-red/-/A-78260540#lnk=sametab

Is there a list of rides that close due to rain and type of rain?
Usually if there is lightning, any outdoor ride will close. If there are high winds, those same outdoor rides will most likely close. The other things to keep in mind for heavy rain and high winds are friendship boats, 7 seas lagoon boats, skyliner, and possibly monorail not running as well.

I just spent a good deal of today trimming palm fronds, putting away pool floats and chairs in the lanai, securing the fall decorations out front. I’m thinking this will be the bad storm of the year for central and western Florida. The worst part about it is it seems it’ll be a week long storm for us here in Tampa. We already have winds in the low 20s today and looks like rain for the entire week, with the heavy winds coming a Friday.

Clearly, the gondolas and/or boats will be impacted if the forecast comes to fruition.

Living in the O-town area for almost 20 years, these are the storms that steer East from the Gulf that gives us the biggest concerns. It's always interesting to see the non-seasoned northern transplants say things like "it will only be a little wind and rain". Obviously, they were not here in the mid-2000's when the predictions were grossly misread. Plan for the worse and hope for the best.

Keep watching for a hurricane warning for Orange County (and surrounding counties) to see what WDW will do.

Clearly, the gondolas and/or boats will be impacted if the forecast comes to fruition.

Living in the O-town area for almost 20 years, these are the storms that steer East from the Gulf that gives us the biggest concerns. It's always interesting to see the non-seasoned northern transplants say things like "it will only be a little wind and rain". Obviously, they were not here in the mid-2000's when the predictions were grossly misread. Plan for the worse and hope for the best.

Keep watching for a hurricane warning for Orange County (and surrounding counties) to see what WDW will do.

I think some of us are battle weary from storms that hit our areas in the last few years. One of the worst storms in the Houston area was tropical storm Allison until Harvey and Ike came through. However, I will point out that Ike was a direct hit (impossible for Orlando because it isn’t on the coast), and Allison and Harvey were so destructive because they just sat over us for so long.

Tropical storms are still something to keep an eye on. However, if it moves quickly, it’s always better even though there will still be damage. Just pray this thing weakens and hurries the heck out of there once it gets moving.

I'd also suggest bringing several pairs of shoes. It's hard to go to a park if your shoes are still soaked from the day before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter