2021 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival - Concluded on November 20, 2021

So...I liked the la clasica reyes margarita a bit too much! Anyone know where to find the recipe so I may enjoy it at home? I've got the ingredients, (Centinela Blanco Tequila, Ancho Reyes Chile Liqueur, Abasolo Corn Whiskey, Lime Juice, and Agave Nectar served on the rocks.) just need to know how much of each. Or I could just go with trial and error...

Thanks!!

We stopped by a couple more times in the last 2 weeks. We had quite a few things we've already had, but we did try a few new things. Things we tried for the first time (in 2021) are in bold.

Great

- Maple Boursin Cheesecake (Refreshment Port) - 10.0 - This has always been great, and this year is no exception.
- Tuna Poke (Hawai'i) - 9.0 - Really fresh and light, seasoning was delicious. Shrimp chips (prawn crackers) were stale and inedible, but we didn't care.
- La Cellier Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon (Canada) - 9.0 - Large, tender filet. Best one I've ever had from the Canada booth.
- Corned Beef Corner Route (Flavors From Fire) - 9.0 - Ours had a comically large amount of beef.
- Apple Crumble Tart (Appleseed Orchard) - 9.0 - Apples were cooked perfectly. Too often apple desserts have crunchy apples.
- Cinnamon Apple Cider (Appleseed Orchard) - 9.0 - Basically Martinelli's Sparkling cider with cinnamon added... which is AWESOME.

- Cowboy Macaroni and Cheese (Mac & Eats) - 9.0 - I don't like Disney Mac & Cheese. I loved this. Lots of pulled pork and brisket. Onion straws added a nice crunch.
- Teriyaki Glazed Spam Hash (Hawai'i) - 9.0 - Just as good as previous years. This serving had much less peppers than usual, which for me is a good thing.

Very Good
- Spicy Hako Sushi (Japan) - 8.5 - Only two pieces, but very tasty and quite spicy.
- Spanish-style Paella (Spain) - 8.5 - The rice is good, not great, but the shrimp and sausage were tasty and plentiful!
- Fisherman's Seafood Pie (Ireland) - 8.5 - I usually have terrible luck with this, but this serving was absolutely loaded with lobster.
- Roasted Porchetta (Swanky Saucy Swine) - 8.0 - Potatoes were very plain, but pork was tender and flavorful.
- Beef/Chicken/Lamb Kabobs (Tangierine Cafe) - 8.0 - All 3 meats were very good. Beef and chicken were cold, but still tasty.
- Chilaquiles con Chorizo (Mexico) - 8.0 - Really flavorful chorizo and salsa verde.
- Hot Beef Sandwich (Hops & Barley) - 8.0 - Loaded with tender beef. Vegetables are pretty spicy.
- La Clasica Reyes Margarita (Mexico) - 8.0 - Nice spicy kick. Best festival margarita in a while.
- Capirotada de Chocolate (Mexico) - 8.0 - Large portion loaded with chocolate. Wife's second favorite item of the festival so far.
- Kenyan Coffee Barbecue Beef Tenderloin (Kenya) - 8.0 - Very hearty portion, very flavorful. Kind of sweet. Meat was a bit dense or this would be even higher.
- Stone-Baked Moroccan Bread (Tangierine Cafe) - 8.0 - Bread was fresh and the three dips were all good.
- Baked Lobster Dip (Lobster Landing) - 8.0 - Compares favorably to something you'd get from Red Lobster or similar.
- Fried Falafel Pita (Tangierine Cafe) - 8.0 - Believe it or not, this was my first time trying falafel. It was very crispy and savory.
- Canadian Cheddar and Bacon Soup (Canada) - 8.0 - Same as it always is. Too bad the weather is usually to hot to get this.

Good
- The Chimichurri-up Offense (Flavors From Fire) - 7.5 - Steak was very good, and more tender than expected. Everything else on plate was meh.
- Crispy-fried Pepper Shrimp (China) - 7.5 - Not as good as previous years, and only two shrimp!

- Piri Piri Skewered Shrimp (Kenya) - 7.5 - Perfectly cooked, maybe a bit heavy on the paprika.
- Traditional Spicy Vietnamese Beef Pho (Noodle Exchange) - 7.5 - Good flavor, reasonably spicy. Room temperature.
- ZiRan Beef Bao Bun (China) - 7.5 - Kind of a generic flavor, but good. Beef was pretty tender.
- Passion Fruit Cheesecake (Hawai'i) - 7.5 - Good solid cheesecake, but there is nothing really special about it.
- Deconstructed Pavlova (Australia) - 7.5 (was 2.0 the first time) - We tried this again. It was much better than the first time, but the fruit wasn't very sweet. Can't really blame them for that, though.
- La Passion Martini Slushy (France) - 7.5 - Good, but a bit syrupy.
- Wild Mushroom and Truffle Tart (Rotundra Bistro) - 7.5 - Flavor is subtle but nice.
- Pistachio Cake (Tangierine Cafe) - 7.5 - Very basic and light.
- Kalua Pork Slider (Hawai'i) - 7.0 - Very good flavor, but the bread gets way too soggy.
- Griddled Cheese (Greece) - 7.0 - Not as good as the previous version. I think it's a different cheese.
- Grilled Sweet and Spicy Bush Berry Shrimp (Australia) - 7.0 - Decent flavor, but shrimp were kind of mushy.
- Freshly Baked Carrot Cake (Hops & Barley) - 7.0 - I usually love this. But I'm more of a spice cake guy, and this was VERY carroty.

Decent

- Charcuterie (Spain) - 6.5 - Not much vinaigrette, hardly any green olives, the (plentiful) sausage was soft and bland. The single piece of rosciutto was good, and the cheese was decent.
- Tempura Shrimp Sando (Japan) - 6.5 - Ours had barely any crab or green onions. It was literally a tempura shrimp on a Hawaiian type roll. Not bad at all, just underwhelming.
- Blueberry and Almond Frangipane Tart - 6.0 - Nothing like previous versions. Basically tasted like a typical blueberry muffin. Not a tart at all.
- S'mores Whoopie Pie-lon (Flavors From Fire) - 6.0 - Not bad, but the whole thing was the same texture. The graham cracker was soft and mushy. Basically just tasted like chocolate.
- Schinkennudeln (Germany) - 6.0 - I usually really like this, but this serving was greasy and kind of gummy.
- Soy-Glazed Sticky Ribs (Swanky Saucy Swine) - 6.0 - Sauce had a good flavor, but both ribs had lots of weird little chewy/hard bits that made them hard to eat.
- Warm Raclette Swiss Cheese with Ham (Alps) - 6.0 - This was sitting under a heat lamp, so the cheese was all congealed.

Mediocre
- Crispy Barbecue Pork Rinds (Swanky Saucy Swine) - 5.0 - These were really hard and hurt our teeth. Pimento cheese was decent.
- Schofferhofer Wild Cherry Hefeweisen (Germany) - 5.0 - I'm not really a beer guy, but the grapefruit version is much better.

Bad
- Beignet aux Trois Fromages (France) - 4.0 - The flavor wasn't bad, but it was a big pile of mush. The beignet couldn't hold up to the cheese filling.
- Teriyaki-Sesame Wings (Brew-Wing) - 4.0 - These were really sour.
- Garlic-Parmesan Wings (Brew-Wing) - 3.0 - I ate two. First was meh but not terrible. Second tasted like a used dish rag. Both were really dry.

Here are pics of the new items we tried:

Apple Crumble Tart.jpg

Canadian Cheddar and Bacon Soup.jpg

Chimichurri-up Offense, The.jpg

Cinnamon Apple Cider.jpg

Crispy-fried Pepper Shrimp.jpg

Grilled Sweet and Spicy Bush Berry Shrimp.jpg

Kalua Pork Slider.jpg

Piri Piri Skewered Shrimp.jpg

Spanish-style Paella.jpg

ZiRan Beaf Bao Bun.jpg

Fun history. Really hoping that 2022 will see the return of the demos, wine tastings, special meals like Tequila lunch, wine vs. beer, Parisian breakfast etc. and other special events with celebrity chefs and also Party for the Senses (REALLY hope they do a Disney Springs themed one again -- that was SO good). I am a bit nervous to see what the price tag will be for all of these things if they do return given the steady increase of F&W prices generally and everything we are seeing lately but I really do think they make the festival more fun.

Fun history. Really hoping that 2022 will see the return of the demos, wine tastings, special meals like Tequila lunch, wine vs. beer, Parisian breakfast etc. and other special events with celebrity chefs and also Party for the Senses (REALLY hope they do a Disney Springs themed one again -- that was SO good). I am a bit nervous to see what the price tag will be for all of these things if they do return given the steady increase of F&W prices generally and everything we are seeing lately but I really do think they make the festival more fun.

I 100% agree with you. The reason I attend F&W are for the special events. Epcot has food booths practically year round so they are not a draw for me.

On a side note, Sea World has really stepped things up with their Seven Seas Food Festival. Decent prices and good size portions

100% agree, I loved the demos and special meals and was more than happy to pay for them. I was a little bummed when they changed the demos, in the beginning you would get a glass of wine or beer (depending on the food) with the food demos but the last time I went in 2019 they changed that. I think they also raised the price but I was o.k. with that. I took my son and his SO and their baby this year and we had to keep telling his SO "in the before times this was this or that happened". She laughed and said sounded like she would have liked the before times. We enjoyed it and it was fun seeing the festival through her eyes as she had never even been to Epcot but missed my festival center and my Tequila lunch.

Sadly, I'd be surprised if the demos return. They decreased in the number of days and times they were offered, went from having well known chefs, some of whom I'd even seen on the Food Channel to almost all Disney chefs, over the last few years. And it just wasn't the same when they started serving WATER instead of wine.

I 100% agree with you. The reason I attend F&W are for the special events. Epcot has food booths practically year round so they are not a draw for me.

On a side note, Sea World has really stepped things up with their Seven Seas Food Festival. Decent prices and good size portions
Sadly, I'd be surprised if the demos return. They decreased in the number of days and times they were offered, went from having well known chefs, some of whom I'd even seen on the Food Channel to almost all Disney chefs, over the last few years. And it just wasn't the same when they started serving WATER instead of wine.
Same here. The beverage seminars and culinary demos were the events I enjoyed the most at F&W. I'd also be surprised if they return. When Disney started to charge for the events and then kept increasing the price, I noticed attendance at these events started to decline. When I first started attending, those events were almost always sold out. As time progressed, that happened less and less. I think the prices along with the type of chefs and wineries that were scheduled just drove people away. I think the last time that the seminars and demos were offered the cost was around $18 per person.

As Simba's mom indicated, Disney moved from having well known chefs at the culinary demos to having chefs that worked in Disney restaurants. And with the beverage seminars, most of the wineries were not familiar. My favorite beverage seminar was presented by Monet & Chandon. They produce Dom Perignon champagne and the presenter described the history of this champagne and champagne in general. I could have listened to that presentation again and would always check the beverage seminar schedule every year in hopes that they would return.

Same here. The beverage seminars and culinary demos were the events I enjoyed the most at F&W. I'd also be surprised if they return. When Disney started to charge for the events and then kept increasing the price, I noticed attendance at these events started to decline. When I first started attending, those events were almost always sold out. As time progressed, that happened less and less. I think the prices along with the type of chefs and wineries that were scheduled just drove people away. I think the last time that the seminars and demos were offered the cost was around $18 per person.

As Simba's mom indicated, Disney moved from having well known chefs at the culinary demos to having chefs that worked in Disney restaurants. And with the beverage seminars, most of the wineries were not familiar. My favorite beverage seminar was presented by Monet & Chandon. They produce Dom Perignon champagne and the presenter described the history of this champagne and champagne in general. I could have listened to that presentation again and would always check the beverage seminar schedule every year in hopes that they would return.

I too noticed the move to using Disney chefs. Also in terms of seminars I bet Disney increased the price that it charges vendors. Several years back someone shared a doc that had a vendor price

We went from a 12 day vacation in previous years to spending 1 day at Epcot this year. We loved attending demos and learning about new wineries and collecting recipes. This year I will say the food at the booths was both bigger portions and better quality than what I remember from previous years...but not enough to entice us into an annual pass to partake over multiple days.

We had a great time this year at F&W with one exception. They were sold out of most of the merch. I really wanted the Shimmering Sips stemless flute, and have zero luck getting my hands on one. They aren't on Ebay or anywhere that I can find. Does anyone know where I can find one, I was so upset when they told me they were sold out.

We really enjoyed Epcot on 11/18 and the Food and Wine festival although the rain tried to spoil our day. The food was very good but the lines were long (expected). Well worth it. Would definitely go again if the opportunity arises. I hit up so many food stops that we didn't have to have any restaurant reservations that day.

We had a great time this year at F&W with one exception. They were sold out of most of the merch. I really wanted the Shimmering Sips stemless flute, and have zero luck getting my hands on one. They aren't on Ebay or anywhere that I can find. Does anyone know where I can find one, I was so upset when they told me they were sold out.
Yes, know exactly what you mean. I was at Food & Wine the 1st week of October and could not locate much of the merchandise. I wondered if maybe it had been replaced by the 50th anniversary merchandise as it was everywhere. I usually purchase a F&W t-shirt and a set of wine glasses. I was able to find a t-shirt on ebay but not any wine glasses. :sad2:

Some of the festival merchandise was on sale at ShopDisney and they did have the wine glasses. But since I was going, I decided to buy them at Epcot as to avoid shipping and handling charges. I wish now that I have ordered them back in July

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter