2024 Destash Dare to be Bare!

Anyone make a stupid covid purchase? We did, an elliptical machine. SMH! My goal is to sell it at our May annual community garage sale. That's the first thing I'm putting in our driveway. Covid has us all tripping.

Next garage sale item, Christmas ornaments. My DH fusses and cusses every holiday. So I was thinking, every year I will toss this year's decorations and purchase new decorations. A friend of mine told me she does it every year and has done it for years. I was like, no way. I'm not throwing away my decorations. But 6 years into marriage, I have probably had a different color scheme each year. So the decoration pile continues to grow. SMH! So I'll purchase less ornaments and try to let Thanksgiving roll into Christmas so I can do double duty on some of the decorations.

I love the 5 items in the trash on trash day. I'm starting in my kitchen. I just purchased some new white dishes. I'm throwing away every mismatch, broken, chipped and cracked plate, bowl, cup, saucer and glass in the trash this week. Next week I'm tackling the utensil drawer. I'll probably toss the whole drawer and start afresh. I'm sure we have 5 of everything and all of it is old and/or broken. Next is cleaning out my gadget cabinet. It's actually my husband's which he doesn't use because he doesn't cook. Make this make sense.

I try and purge our closet as we purchase new items. Toss 3 for every one item we purchase. I've been on a sock and underwear kick so I'll be tackling those dresser drawers in April.

I think I have a good starting list.

I've tossed a few threadbare/broken items of clothing and shoes recently. Put a few more in the donations pile but I haven't made it to drop them off yet.

We've got our council pick up in a couple of weeks, so trying to get prepared for that, identifying larger items that we should put out. We'll definitely have a bed frame and mattress to put out there, several brittle old plastic tubs, an old mop and a few large pots we got from my grandparents. I'm sure we'll find more in the next couple of weeks. I'd love to go through the shed and get rid of some of that junk.

Items that left the house in the month of March! Every little bit helps!

1 partial note book - used up

1 mini plastic folder - donated
7 dress shirts - donated
1 sweatshirt - donated
1 hat - donated
6 books - donated

1 pen - trashed
1 pair of socks - trashed
23 expired baking items from pantry - trashed
2 extremely freezer burned items - trashed

127 / 500 items
25.4% of goal

Items that left the house in the month of March! Every little bit helps!

1 partial note book - used up

1 mini plastic folder - donated
7 dress shirts - donated
1 sweatshirt - donated
1 hat - donated
6 books - donated

1 pen - trashed
23 expired baking items from pantry - trashed
2 extremely freezer burned items - trashed

127 / 500 items
25.4% of goal
Like you said every little bit helps. That is my motto. DD is having a garage sale in May so I have got to get going with sorting

We had our council collection the other day. Got rid of:
  • Queen size mattress (good one to get out of the way!)
  • Several old rusty star pickets
  • Couple of large wooden poles
  • Large sheet of metal that somehow ended up in our yard on a recent very windy night!
  • Half a dozen large plastic tubs that were brittle and breaking down
  • Old dead mop
  • Temporary pet door that did not fit into our sliding door cavity
  • A few old large pots that were breaking down
  • Old pool lounger handed down from my grandparents but no longer needed as we are having our pool removed
  • An old plastic hose reel that was breaking down
I think that's about it... was very worthwhile!

I wish our town did pickups. We are on our own for everything that doesn’t fit in a trash can. Honestly it is part of the reason we ended up with so much stuff. Some weekend now that the weather is nicer we will rent a truck to haul it.

DD got 3 bags out of her room. I have a bag of shirts to donate and a bag of garbage

This weekend I got 2 bags of garbage ready to go and cleaned off 1 counter top. Trying to go with Comicguys rule of keeping counters clean. This counter usually just gets dirty dishes and empty soda cans. I also fixed the loose doorknob in the kitchen

Tossed last night for trash today.... a broken cat water fountain (full disclosure we got them a new one), several more socks with holes (could DH just not toss them after he wears them instead of me washing them and then tossing when I'm folding) and a couple expired snacks hiding in the snack closet. Got an unused outdoor rug (basically large patio door mat) from the basement that is in the car to go to my parents' this weekend.

Tossed last night for trash today.... a broken cat water fountain (full disclosure we got them a new one), several more socks with holes (could DH just not toss them after he wears them instead of me washing them and then tossing when I'm folding) and a couple expired snacks hiding in the snack closet. Got an unused outdoor rug (basically large patio door mat) from the basement that is in the car to go to my parents' this weekend.
Haha my partner does the same thing. Undies too. He can't seem to bring himself to throw them out until there's nothing left but a bit of over-stretched elastic and a bit of frayed binding holding together a couple of worn out pieces of fabric 😂

DD is home -we took out shoes from under her bed. A couple pairs went to garbage. Some to resale. Some to goodwill. I kept a new pair for me. And she took a pair of mine from my closet for her work wardrobe. And one pair of black boots thrown out. And then about 4 pair are leaving with her.
Shirts some going home with her. Some out to garage. Some resale. Some goodwill. Same with old jewelry. Scarfs gone. Got 3 long sweater Cardigans going to coworker.
Last week I ditched an extra old blow dryer a curling iron, and an alarm clock. And a whole copy box of folders that by past school aged kids will not need now.
Took a niece a new frozen pool towel, Olaf pillow case and a cheap tiara.

I've got a whole pile of stuff ready to take down to the op shop... it's been sitting there for weeks, just can't seem to manage to get it out of the house! Didn't even manage to fill the bin last night for rubbish day since we were a little out of routine.

Next week!

we went to the recycling center today-dropped off a large load of flattened cardboard. i'm in the habit of retaining boxes from anything we purchase (appliances, tools, electronics...) until the manufacturers AND the applicable credit card's extended warranty is up in case there's an issue. we had a considerable collection spanning the last several years all stored in one of our sheds. while in the same sheds i grabbed to toss some expired yard chemicals, broken (or as soon as i picked them up-newly broken) plastic containers and such. 2 outbuildings down, 1 to go :cheer2:

I am jumping on board. I don’t have a specific goal but I have been in this house almost 20 years (so I’ve accumulated over time) and we are going to do some remodeling and need to declutter.

Friday I went through all the old paperwork and brought 2 bags of stuff to a shred it event Saturday morning.

Saturday we started cleaning an unfinished room to get estimates on a remodel. I got rid of 4 large chewy boxes full of random stuff (donated), 4 garbage bags of clothes (donated), 15 outdoor plant containers (put on the curb with a free sign - gone!), a hose cart (put on the curb with a free sign - gone!), broke down 15 cardboard boxes, went through all our sunscreen and got rid of 10 expired bottles, tossed a leaky garden hose, and went through the rakes, why did I have 14 rakes? Tossed a few and put 7 on the curb with a free sign and they are gone!

I am jumping on board. I don’t have a specific goal but I have been in this house almost 20 years (so I’ve accumulated over time) and we are going to do some remodeling and need to declutter.

Friday I went through all the old paperwork and brought 2 bags of stuff to a shred it event Saturday morning.

Saturday we started cleaning an unfinished room to get estimates on a remodel. I got rid of 4 large chewy boxes full of random stuff (donated), 4 garbage bags of clothes (donated), 15 outdoor plant containers (put on the curb with a free sign - gone!), a hose cart (put on the curb with a free sign - gone!), broke down 15 cardboard boxes, went through all our sunscreen and got rid of 10 expired bottles, tossed a leaky garden hose, and went through the rakes, why did I have 14 rakes? Tossed a few and put 7 on the curb with a free sign and they are gone!
That is great.

April was another sub productive month with decluttering. But at least a few things left the house and nothing new but consumables came in! So still a bit of a win for the month!

1 can of primer - used up
1 can of paint - used up
1 paint roller - used up

5 pair of shoes/sneakers - donated
1 gift mug - donated

2 boxes of misc trash - trashed
2 pair of sneakers - trashed

3 cardboard boxes recycled

144 / 500 items
28.8% of goal

Donation pickup was on Thursday again. I get texts/email every 6 weeks or so if I have anything.

A few weeks ago, my DH passed. It was really unexpected and still find it hard to talk about. I am browsing here and there. Posting, here and there. Married almost 42 years. Together almost 24/7 last 17 years. Can't even begin to express my feelings, the loss, how much I miss him. This should be a whole other post.

Thankful for my (can't wrap my head around not saying "our") small house, I can keep up with it. Still love my area and my neighbors.

Having said that, I had already started a donation pile for this last pick up - mostly got rid of what I had left still in packages - wedding/party favors. A few/not all - High heel shoes I don't think I will wear again after I broke my foot and ankle last year. Some shirts and just a few things from my DH. No where near ready to clean up/get rid of his things. I can still smell him on flannel shirts/sweatshirts/jackets he wore over his shirts. I need this desperately.

It is forcing me to slowly, eventually start to donate many things moving forward. I might consider a condo in the future/if one comes up where one of my daughter-in-law's parents bought a few years ago. I would be close to them (great people) and a few minutes closer to both my sons. Closer to the bridge where the ride to my daughter would also be 20/25 mins shorter. This has to make me clean-up and get rid of things that I don't need/not necessary.

I don't have much desire for anything - but the walls will swallow me soon if I don't try to do a thing or two that I used to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter