2024 Destash Dare to be Bare!

Garbage goes out tomorrow....working on my 5 things to get rid of....1 pair of at least 7 year old booties (not in a condition to donate), travel mug without lid, "collar" for the kitchen garbage can that has been cracked and living on the floor next to it, tube of outdated sunscreen, some used up chapstick tubes, and one more bag of clothes to donate to goodwill.

I've fallen off the wagon a little with keeping track of everything and checking in here, but I've still been going! Finally threw out an old pair of slippers and a worn out pair of runners I've been saving for 'gardening shoes' but never wore in the garden lol! I just can't bring myself to throw out my very close to worn out pair of flip flops yet. I got a slightly dressier pair to replace them, but I think I need to replace them with another pair of plain old rubber ones.

Also went through my makeup stash the other day when I got a new delivery and threw out a few bits and pieces that were old and/or never used.

Got a bit of a fright the other day when my partner asked what happened to the decorative chicken we used to have that was his late mum's. Neither of us liked it but I suddenly felt like maybe I'd misinterpreted him and he was actually attached to it. Nervously told him I'd taken it to the op shop and his response was 'awesome, thank you!'. So that was a relief!

Finally threw out an old pair of slippers and a worn out pair of runners I've been saving for 'gardening shoes' but never wore in the garden lol!
I had "painting shoes" of the same persuasion. I haven't painted a wall in years. They went bye-buy a couple weeks ago.

I've fallen off the wagon a little with keeping track of everything and checking in here, but I've still been going! Finally threw out an old pair of slippers and a worn out pair of runners I've been saving for 'gardening shoes' but never wore in the garden lol! I just can't bring myself to throw out my very close to worn out pair of flip flops yet. I got a slightly dressier pair to replace them, but I think I need to replace them with another pair of plain old rubber ones.

Also went through my makeup stash the other day when I got a new delivery and threw out a few bits and pieces that were old and/or never used.

Got a bit of a fright the other day when my partner asked what happened to the decorative chicken we used to have that was his late mum's. Neither of us liked it but I suddenly felt like maybe I'd misinterpreted him and he was actually attached to it. Nervously told him I'd taken it to the op shop and his response was 'awesome, thank you!'. So that was a relief!
I have never gotten into the idea of keeping track of each item. Too much work and I dont consider things that I have used up and replaced. I too finally got rid of my old slippers. I took them on vacation and threw them away when we left

I took them on vacation and threw them away when we left

this is historically how i get rid of old, comfy stuff that i can bring myself to toss. take them on vacation for one last hurrah and then toss them in the trash when we leave. no take-backsies! i will admit to purposly packing items for dh and the kids without them realizing this was the end goal.

this is historically how i get rid of old, comfy stuff that i can bring myself to toss. take them on vacation for one last hurrah and then toss them in the trash when we leave. no take-backsies! i will admit to purposly packing items for dh and the kids without them realizing this was the end goal.
Me too.

I have never gotten into the idea of keeping track of each item. Too much work and I dont consider things that I have used up and replaced. I too finally got rid of my old slippers. I took them on vacation and threw them away when we left
I get that. I've just tried to be consistent about getting 5 things out of here on trash night. I don't count stuff like the milk jug I recycle, but if it's stuff I have laying around here that should be trashed but hasn't been yet then I count it. I'm not making myself crazy over it but it's been a good motivator. When I donate a bag of clothes/purses/housewares to goodwill, I don't detail it and just count it as one thing.

The funny thing is that my husband goes around Wednesday nights now asking/looking for what we can get rid of. So that in and of itself has been super helpful. I guess it also motivates me to get the crap off flat surfaces and out of my work bag. Some weeks it's small wins. Some weeks its bigger ones.

I get that. I've just tried to be consistent about getting 5 things out of here on trash night. I don't count stuff like the milk jug I recycle, but if it's stuff I have laying around here that should be trashed but hasn't been yet then I count it. I'm not making myself crazy over it but it's been a good motivator. When I donate a bag of clothes/purses/housewares to goodwill, I don't detail it and just count it as one thing.

The funny thing is that my husband goes around Wednesday nights now asking/looking for what we can get rid of. So that in and of itself has been super helpful. I guess it also motivates me to get the crap off flat surfaces and out of my work bag. Some weeks it's small wins. Some weeks its bigger ones.
Exactly. Just 5 items on trash night can be a great motivator. It is wonderful that you got your husband on board. I told mine that he has to start getting rid of items if he ever wants to move. He said he will when the time comes

I don't count items myself. I try to "get rid of stuff/clean up" a section/part of the house (room/closet/filing cabinet) when I get the urge/or looking for something. Even paperwork. I save everything for years.

We just shredded about 10 years + of tax returns going back more than 24/25 years.

I have started a pile of clothes/things to donate and got rid of other items. I love it when I make a dent on things.

I have more work to do. Our home is on the small side and I keep it pretty tidy but there is always something or some coat/clothing we keep. It's new, just in case, etc. We would love to stay here forever but for the first time (this past year), we have talked about possibly downsizing a bit more to a condo in the near future. I would like to get rid of more and more (there is always the attic too/we did a clean up last year). Might be due for another soon.

Feb was a better decluttering month, mostly little stuff but stuff gone none the less!

1 pair of socks - trashed
15 dead pens - trashed
8 dead dry erase markers - trashed
1 T-Shirt - trashed
1 pair of shorts - trashed
1 broken phone case - trashed
1 plastic serving spoon (broken) - trashed
1 pair if socks - trashed
1 toner cartridge - recycled

1 partial notepad - used up

20 glue sticks (new) - donated
4 containers of elmer’s glue (new) - donated
1 frying pan w/ lid - donated
24 pens - donated

84 / 500 items
16% of goal

The best thing is that not selling the books makes my life so much easier. Now I have a "keep" pile (which is to be kept under 100 books) and a "donate" pile.
In our area, we have a few book boxes. Elevated wooden boxes where we can leave or take books from. I have also put in puzzles, small children's toys (everything included), teen items etc. Some disappear quickly, others sit around for a few days but eventually, they all go. A second life...

In our area, we have a few book boxes. Elevated wooden boxes where we can leave or take books from. I have also put in puzzles, small children's toys (everything included), teen items etc. Some disappear quickly, others sit around for a few days but eventually, they all go. A second life...
Same here.

It is nice to see this.

Our local laundromat has a small section as well.

We have those too. They are called "Little Free Libraries". I did put some kids books in one near the middle school my DD attended. I have a bag of books in my car for one right now. It has a complete set of Anne of Green Gables and another set from American Girl. Some kid will be very happy.

Slowly getting back into the swing of things. My last pair of comfy “Florida pants” stayed in Florida in the garbage.We got home the day after garbage day.

DD packed up another bag of clothes and I filled up a garbage bag with an old blanket and odds and ends. We went to BJs yesterday and got 2 boxes of food storage bags so I cleaned off a shelf to put them on

It is Wednesday night so trash it night. We aim for 5 things. DH tossed an old pair of sneakers that had no life left in them (does that count as 2?). I tossed a couple non working phone cords (why did I think we should keep those?). Old Ipad, old kindle, and straightening iron to the donation pile

Last edited:
What is everyone up to? This thread has been quiet lately.. I only threw away a few items yesterday, however plan on sorting some after work.

I might be attending a wake soon and went through some of my pants - started to check other clothing items. Put aside for Thursday pick up - two capri/summer pants, 1 black skirt, 4 pairs of black pants, two sweaters and one summer top.........this is what happens when you put on weight :rolleyes:8-)

Tossed a very stained old sweatshirt today. I spilled wine on the sleeve. Universe was sending me a message. LOL. Cleaned out a couple books from the little boy I babysit for. Tossed a juice glass with a crack and a pint glass that the image faded off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter