3 Generations Wandering the Wilderness from "Cabin" Camping to Club Level-FW & WL

hstrickland

Way Down South...
pixiedust:Let the Magic Begin!

**Welcome to our 5th Annual Family Vacation**

3 Generations / 7 People
June 3- June 14

We're a little crazy...

and sometimes goofy...

But always love being together wherever our adventures take us!

We'll be taking you on a 4 day cabin/camping adventure at Fort Wilderness Resort and Campgrounds followed by 8 days at the Wilderness Lodge done Club Level style! 12 days of Disney just ain't enough, folks!

BE WARNED! This trip report will be picture heavy!! ::yes:: Only 3200 shots captured while at the World..(dad and I have a serious problem - I'm aware :rolleyes:)

Before we can continue, I must make our introductions.

I'm Heather, you're hostess with the mostess, the one who adores all things Disney, and this is the hubby Bill; otherwise known on the Dis as WishIwasfishin (every now and then he sneaks in a post or two). And while he pretends to play it cool at Disney, he secretly loves it! Most of the time.

We've been blessed with 3 wonderful children that love Disney almost as much as me (brainwashing takes time, ya know) If we don't do at least one Disney trip per year, they believe we haven't had a vacation.

Stephen

He's our resident pin trader, and happy about being a Disney Adult...no more kid's meals!

Faith

Her favorite resort - the one with the pretty red roof - but any Deluxe will do!

Jesse

A.K.A. - The Wanderer. He has the unfortunate habit of wandering off all by his lonesome - doesn't bother him at all. Over the years we have grown accustomed to this type of behavior and rarely panic; we just look for the nearest TV or arcade. That's where he's usually found.

And remember - I said crazy and goofy...

And last but not least, Pop and MaHopie (my parents, Steve & Hope). These two kids love Disney more than me, seriously. In fact, they took a solo trip to Disneyland! (wasn't very nice of them NOT to invite us ;))

They helped instill my love for Disney at a young age...

And yes, that's mom, my sister and me at the Magic Kingdom...many moons ago ...when the characters roamed freely about the parks.

And now we're continuing the tradition with our children. Bill thanks them immensely :rolleyes1

More family stuff I must share - A brief blast from the past with trip report links, of course.

2010 (my very first Trip Report)

Polynesian Club Level

TR Link

Fort Wilderness Resort and the Contemporary

TR Link

Animal Kingdom Club Level and a family cruise on the Dream!

TR Link

A Birthday Surprise for Faith at Port Orleans Riverside
(unfortunately, Pop and MaHopie couldn't make this trip;)

TR Link

We hope y'all will sit back, relax, and enjoy our journey through the most magical place on earth! And now without further ado, let our 2014 trip report commence! :yay:

Chapter Links

Day 1
Heading to the Fort! Part 1
Heading to the Fort! Part 2
Fort Wilderness Cabin Review Part 1
Fort Wilderness Cabin Review Part 2
Trail's End Dinner
Chip n' Dale Campfire Sing-a-long Part 1
Chip n' Dale Campfire Sing-a-long Part 2

Day 2
Early Morning at the Fort - Part 1
Early Morning at the Fort - Part 2
Relaxing at the pool???
House of Blues - Part 1
House of Blues - Part 2

Day 3
Early Morning Pics and a River Country Rant - Part 1
Early Morning Pics and a River Country Rant - Part 2
Tour of the Monorail Resorts w/ Poly Construction Pics - Part 1
Tour of the Monorail Resorts w/ Poly Construction Pics - Part 2

Day 4
Last Day at the Meadow Swimmin' Pool - Part 1
Last Day at the Meadow Swimmin' Pool - Part 2

"Intermission" - July the 4th Pics

Tri Circle D Ranch - Part 1
Tri Circle D Ranch - Part 2
Caribbean Beach Resort Sneak Peek - Part 1
Caribbean Beach Resort Sneak Peek - Part 2

Day 5
Sayin' Good-bye to the Fort...Hello Wilderness Lodge!!!
A WL & EP Afternoon - Part 1
A WL & EP Afternoon - Part 2
Dinner at Hacienda Plus More - Part 1
Dinner at Hacienda Plus More - Part 2

WL CL Room Review - Part 1
WL CL Room Review - Part 2

Club Level
The Old Faithful Club Review - Part 1
The Old Faithful Club Review - Part 2
The Old Faithful Club Review - Part 3

Day 6
Early Morning Pics - Part 1
Early Morning Pics - Part 2
Magic Kingdom Fun - Part 1
Magic Kingdom Fun - Part 2
Dinner at Ohana - Part 1
Dinner at Ohana - Part 2

Day 7
EP & Le Cellier for Lunch - Part 1
EP & Le Cellier for Lunch - Part 2

Day 8
Animal Kingdom - Yak & Yeti - Part 1
Animal Kingdom - Yak & Yeti - Part 2
Animal Kingdom - Yak & Yeti - Part 3

Day 9
Early Morning Pictures...Again!
Typhoon Lagoon - Part 1
Typhoon Lagoon - Part 2
Typhoon Lagoon - Part 3
Dinner at Artist Point - Part 1
Dinner at Artist Point - Part 2

Mini Mini Trip & Dis Meet Combined - August 2014 TR
Pop Century - Part 1
Pop Century - Part 2
Magic Kingdom - Part 1
Magic Kingdom - Part 2
Hollywood Studios - Part 1
Hollywood Studios - Part 2

Day 10
Mad Dash for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Part 1
Mad Dash for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Part 2
Magic Kingdom Morning - Part 1
Magic Kingdom Morning - Part 2
Animal Kingdom Afternoon - Part 1
Animal Kingdom Afternoon - Part 2
Dinner at Flying Fish - Part 1
Dinner at Flying Fish - Part 2

Wilderness Lodge Construction Alert October 2014 - Part 1
Wilderness Lodge Construction Alert October 2014 - Part 2

Day 11
Early Morning Pictures at the Lodge - Part 1
Early Morning Pictures at the Lodge - Part 2

Last edited:
Heather!!! I'm so excited for your new TR!!! :woohoo:

I will never forget that you are the person who first convinced me to do a TR of my own.

Can't wait to hear about your looooooooong WDW stay! :wizard:

:welcome: to all of you!!!

Heather!!! I'm so excited for your new TR!!! :woohoo:

You win! ;) How funny that you found me...I didn't even have to email you :laughing: Wouldn't be the same without you following along :goodvibes

I will never forget that you are the person who first convinced me to do a TR of my own.

And now you're the TR Queen with a Disney trip like every other month :laughing: Glad I could twist your arm ;)

I am here Heather! :moped: Excited to read this and look at you rockin the long hair!:smokin:

Howdy, Jen! :wave2: Glad you're here!! Thanks for the compliment...not sure I would call it "rockin"... :laughing: I'll call it easy....throw it up, and go!

I forgot y'all were going to the Lodge. You'll have to bear with me through the FW pics until I get to the WL ;) Have y'all been over to FW, yet? If not, make time to go over and look around. Great place for kids!!

What a great intro! Looking forward to the report.

Love the name "Stew_Mouse"!! Cute! Definitely original. Thanks for joining in :thumbsup2

Found your trip report!!! YAY! :)

Hiya :wave: Happy to have ya! There'll be lots of pics, for sure. You wanted pictures, right??... of the WL??...;) :laughing:

Yay!!! I'm thrilled the party has started!!! Going back to the first post :)

I'm looking forward to your trip report. One of the best things about staying at the WL is having FW right next door. We love going over there. And your trip report covers both those places. :)

Howdy Y'all!!! I'm getting so good at that phrase!:thumbsup2

Super excited to SEE all the pictures and hear more details! :banana:

So grateful you are a TR writer! And a great one at that! Looking forward to an update later today!:yay:

Lots of pixie dust to you from MI!:wizard:
Erin

Subbing in. Truly appreciated your live updates on the WL pool situation while you were there (we decided to stay put). Can't wait to hear more.

Howdy Y'all!!! I'm getting so good at that phrase!:thumbsup2

Why yes you are!! :thumbsup2 I need to learn how to say "you guys". Sounds weird with a Southern Drawl, though :laughing:

Super excited to SEE all the pictures and hear more details! :banana:

So grateful you are a TR writer! And a great one at that! Looking forward to an update later today!:yay:

Lots of pixie dust to you from MI!:wizard:
Erin

Another one is on its way! Glad you're here, friend:goodvibes

:thumbsup2

Subbing in. Truly appreciated your live updates on the WL pool situation while you were there (we decided to stay put). Can't wait to hear more.

You're very welcome. And you'll be totally happy with the WL. The Cast Members are truly outstanding and so friendly. The entire Lodge gives visitors a very "at home" feel.

Heather, I was hoping you had been on a trip! Can't wait to hear the stories.

:wave2: Hi there!!! We have some stories for ya ;)

Your kids are adorable! :-) can't wait to follow along! And to see all the pics!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

DAY 1
Heading to the Fort!
Part 1

Let me preface this by saying that DH did not think it necessary to have 12 days at Disney (I can’t imagine why?? :rolleyes1) While he does enjoy the World, his ideal vacation would be fishing in the Keys for a week – hence his Dis name – WishIwasfishin. However, he didn’t buck the system too much and wished us well as we traveled to WDW without him. Yes…we left the hubby home. He actually had to work, and couldn’t take 2 weeks off in a row. On a serious note (and you’ll hear me say this later) Disney isn’t the same without my husband :hug:. I always miss him lots when he isn’t with us. Okay…enough mushy stuff. As he always tells the kids, “someone has to work to pay the bills”.

Can you say packed tight??!! Bill actually had bags in his car, also, to bring down on Friday!

Had to do a family shot before we hit the road. Stephen appears to be praying for safe travels since I’m driving.

The Mickey looking think that you see in the picture is actually a grapevine Mickey wreath. Thought we would use it on the cabin door at the Fort.

And so we start our journey…

Was hoping to be on the road earlier, but wrangling 3 crazy kids is always a feat in itself! By the way, I like early. Some of you already know that, but for those of you who don’t…I’m up with the rooster -even on vacation. Weird, I know. :confused3

Always a blessed sight…

… a very natural smile (not so much). Pop was flashing pictures left and right. If I heard it once, I heard it 100 times – “Steve, why are you taking pictures of THAT?!” (my mother voicing her disdain)

And finally!!!! After a 4 ½ drive, we view this glorious sign!!! Can you hear the trumpets sounding and the angels singing “Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!!

And then…

I always love pulling up to any guard shack and hearing “Welcome Home!

Which way do we go??

RV/camper check-in…

Cabin check-in…

I put Stephen in charge of the camera, but he fell down on the job. He’s getting to the “that’s embarrassing” stage. He was supposed to be snapping pictures of check-in, but instead I get the “Mom, this camera strap is covered in Mickeys. How embarrassing!” No kidding, son….we’re at Disney!

True to form, Jesse found the TV!

Then they found the checkers. Thank goodness, because it was taking some time to get things situated.

This wasn’t on account of the Cast Members being slow…our Magic Bands were giving us some issues. We had two sets since we were doing a split stay. And for whatever reason, they were coming up as invalid.

Continued to next post!

Continued from the previous post!

DAY 1
Heading to the Fort!
Part 2

The little ones were getting a bit antsy, so mom took them outside.

I’ll say this a 1000 times during this TR, but one of the reasons we love FW is because of the tranquil, hustle-bustle free atmosphere. We’re truly able to relax at this resort before our go-go-go park days.

To kill two birds with one stone, dad decided to go ahead and grab the golf cart while I had the Magic Band issues resolved. We originally wanted the 6 seater golf cart, but none were available at the time, so we put our name on a waiting list. Not sure why Pop looks completely depressed :laughing: He wasn't!

Golf Cart Info for Inquiring Minds

*Do you need to have a golf cart to get around Fort Wilderness? No.

*However, the resort is around 700 acres or one mile as the crow flies long. That's a pretty big area folks!

*Carts have windshields and headlights, seat up to 4 adults, and can be rented by the day or the week.

*Guests must be 18 years or age and older to rent a cart, and reservations are highly recommended.

*Carts can be rented for $63.54/day ($59 plus tax) at the Outpost (407-824-2742).

*There are golf cart hook ups at each cabin and campsite as well as other places within the resort.

*6 seater golf carts are available($79 plus tax) but cannot be reserved.
Upon arrival, you can inquire about the 6 seater. If they are available, it will be yours. If not, you can put your name on a waiting list for the duration of your stay.

This is totally just our opinion, but my family definitely has to have a golf cart while staying at the Fort. ::yes:: We’re all about convenience on vacation, and the ease of having one of these makes life MUCH easier. We never had to wait on an internal bus to get us from point A to B…if I needed something quick from the Trading Post, I could hop on the cart and be there in minutes. Now, did we need the 6 seater?? No. We quickly found out that we were fine with 6 people on the cart, and it saved us around $20 a day. When they called to let us know a bigger cart was available, I kindly declined.

So, our cabin was ready for occupancy! On our way we go – me following behind in the vehicle.

Perfect location, and just what I had requested!!! The 2200 loop.

To give you a visual, here’s the map.

While I unpacked (a MUST before I do anything else), the others found things to occupy their time. Faith got Saige situated into her summer clothing…

Pop got our Mickey wreath hung on the door. Which by the way, will look better at night when lit. :thumbsup2

Jesse found a ball in the woods…or so he said. We made sure he didn’t abscond with another child’s toy.

And this would be AFTER Jesse got himself in trouble with the ball. Throwing it against the windows of the cabin was NOT an option.

After unpacking, we needed to grab a few groceries. So all 6 of us jumped on the cart and headed to the Meadow Trading Post. It only took several minutes to get there. While shopping, the kids decided to play “War at the Fort”.

Our Davey Crockett impersonator - or maybe I should say "Zombie" Davey Crockett...red eye problems with this pic :upsidedow

Faith was the innocent by-stander that the boys ganged up on -not unusual.

And Stephen appears to be the crazed cowboy.

Traveled back to our cabin and unloaded our goods. We decided to head out early and venture around the Fort, then head to dinner.

Up next … “Cabin” Camping pics!

Hey Heather! :wave2:

I was so excited to stumble upon your TR.

Your kids are looking so much older but just as cute as ever! :goodvibes

So glad y'all had a safe trip down. I'm always so jealous of your reasonable drive to WDW.

I can't wait to hear about your family's latest Disney adventure. Your TRs are always great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter