3AM pre-race coffee

flav

Loving My Ears
We are planning our third runDisney weekend. I am trying to find better options for the 3AM coffee. For the past challenges, I used the in-room pods with the provided Cuisinart machine and added real milk instead of creamer. I can survive on this for race mornings but it is not a pleasure for me. Here are the options I see. Can you suggest anything else?

- Survive on Cuisinart Pods with the Joffrey pods. Any way to improve the taste? Baileys might not be an option prior to running.
- Are the foodcourt usually open and filling resort mugs at 3AM? Is that coffee any better?
- Wait an see if I find anything at the start area. But then I might not have time to digest it.
- Skip the coffee. Worst idea of the bunch, I want to enjoy my time, not to become a Villain.
- Pickup a Starbucks the night before and rewarm it in my room if I can get a microwave.
- Check-in my Keurig machine and pods on the plane.
- Do a grocery stop along the way from the airport and buy pre-made coffee drinks. Which ones?
- Check-in instant coffee, which one? Heat water using the Cuisinart machine in the room.

Looking forward to reading you!

For Princess weekend I stayed at Boardwalk and the hotel provided free coffee for runners in the lobby the morning of the races. I'd heard of it at other hotels too but I don't know if it was all of them. There were a few of us down there with the shakes getting our fixes! It worked out okay and was definitely better than the pods in the room.
Skip the coffee.

The darkest timeline.

There's also always a Joffrey's truck at the pre-race area so you could do that (along with some kind of greasy pizza-like food truck, which really does seem like gambling).

we figured out a way to use drop coffee filters, put our choice of coffee in them, and use those in place of the (gross) joffrey's they have in the rooms. I think we just put a couple of table spoons in, twisted the top to keep the grounds in, and then fanned it out so that the lid would hold pressure on it to keep it from unwinding. it works. Also, not using tap water helps a lot.

Other options: coldbrew, instant coffee (the starbucks is supposedly pretty good for instant), the starbucks stuff that comes in a can like an energy drink? Prevailing on another Dis'er staying at the same resort who maybe has a "real" coffee maker in their room?

NEVER an option: skipping coffee. *shudder*

Another idea would be to do my own pods to fit in the Cuisinart. I am not an origami expert but do you think that these would work? I have them already!

image.jpg
Anyone tried that with good results?

we figured out a way to use drop coffee filters, put our choice of coffee in them, and use those in place of the (gross) joffrey's they have in the rooms. I think we just put a couple of table spoons in, twisted the top to keep the grounds in, and then fanned it out so that the lid would hold pressure on it to keep it from unwinding. it works. Also, not using tap water helps a lot.

Other options: coldbrew, instant coffee (the starbucks is supposedly pretty good for instant), the starbucks stuff that comes in a can like an energy drink? Prevailing on another Dis'er staying at the same resort who maybe has a "real" coffee maker in their room?

NEVER an option: skipping coffee. *shudder*
Ha, great caffeinated minds think alike 😉

For Princess weekend I stayed at Boardwalk and the hotel provided free coffee for runners in the lobby the morning of the races.
I actually tried to rent DVC there for that weekend. It is a great choice but DD wants me to keep snacks money 🤷🏻‍♀️

I vote for bringing your own coffee in a Macgyver-ed filter. Honestly, almost all Disney onsite coffee is wretched. I actually brought a pour-over filter and used the machine to heat water (after flushing it a few times--it always has a "this machine is not clean" taste to it, which is obvious if you try to make tea). At least that way I can control the amount of coffee and drip.

Pop Century food court has been open in the morning, and I have bought coffee there pre-bus. But you can't take it on the bus so I sat there cooling my heels, sipping my coffee, trying not to lose my mind that buses were right outside and filling up without me while I sat there. If you have the mental fortitude and are at Pop, that's a solution (if you have any faith that you can rely on that for future races just because it happened once).

I have also bought coffee at the race start like @striker1064 said. Once from Joffrey's and once from the generic Disney food tent. I am not a coffee snob so both were fine. That's drinking coffee a little too close to race time than ideal for me.

Pop Century food court has been open in the morning, and I have bought coffee there pre-bus. But you can't take it on the bus so I sat there cooling my heels, sipping my coffee, trying not to lose my mind that buses were right outside and filling up without me while I sat there.

Really?? I'm like 95% sure I've taken the coffee from my room on the bus with me. Maybe I just got lucky and they didn't notice or say anything? Thankfully, we're DVC and have a real coffee maker, and my husband is a coffee snob so we get something good at the grocery store to brew. I think before I'd consider taking my Keurig on the plane, I'd go buy a plain old cheap coffee maker at Target or Walmart when you get into town. Something you wouldn't mind freecycling at the end of the trip.

Really?? I'm like 95% sure I've taken the coffee from my room on the bus with me. Maybe I just got lucky and they didn't notice or say anything?
All I know is that once I saw a bus driver stop somebody with their coffee as they were getting on, and I'm such a rule-follower that did it for me and I never tried. Maybe they didn't have a lid and you have to have one to get on the bus, no idea. Or maybe the bus drivers just like your face :cutie:

The Starbucks Via Instant is not bad, way better than Joffrey’s. I travel with a collapsible kettle that I ordered from Amazon so I can boil water for my coffee and oatmeal. I’ll pick up a kids milk from the QS and use that instead of the creamers in the room.

For Princess, I am planning on packing a small electric kettle and my aeropress with preground beans from home. It really makes great coffee.

Survive on Cuisinart Pods with the Joffrey pods
The food courts etc all serve Joffrey. I think Joffrey is great (I even order it for home) so I'd just use the room coffee.
I don't know what exactly the milk vs "creamer" issue is; I use half and half. But I always have a DVC room with a fridge so I just buy that and make my own coffee in the morning.

But you can't take it on the bus
I have.

(along with some kind of greasy pizza-like food truck, which really does seem like gambling).
My husband has run the half with me twice at different RunDisney weekends. The first time he saw the Pizza Cone truck and was just going to get coffee, but decided he HAD to have the sausage egg and cheese cone. Raved about how good it was prior to the race. Spent the actual race complaining what a bad idea it was.
Next race weekend I'm thinking he has learned his lesson, and is just going to get a coffee. Comes back with an egg and cheese cone because "I'm pretty sure it was just the sausage last time that was the bad idea." Spoiler alert: the sausage wasn't the issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter