• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

4 WDW Resorts to allow dogs

I think this idea is fantastic and quite frankly cannot understand for the life of me why everyone and their mother is so negative about it.

1) Afraid of dogs? Don't go to the resorts that allow them.
(On that note, do you go to parks? Use public sidewalks where people walk their dogs? Same thing.)

2) Allergic? Specifically request your room be deep cleaned if you choose to stay at a dog friendly resort. Disney takes their mousekeeping extremely seriously as is before the change and it will be no different now.

3) The argument that pets are messy? See point two. Disney is not going to allow for dog messes and issues with cleanliness in the resorts or on the grounds.

4) The argument that pets are loud? I have never once encountered a dog in a resort that was louder than two thirds of the children who are staying there. Toddlers and young children, in many cases, are worse behaved than dogs and have tendencies to run, throw toys, have tantrums, scream, cry, etcetera - I'd like to see a dog perform any of those.

Allowing pets in resorts is not a new concept, and Universal has practicing this for years with no issues and uproar like the one created from Disney-goers. Quite frankly, if the worst you have to worry about is Pongo and Perdy staying in the room next to you, you might want to reconsider your priorities. :rolleyes1

I think this idea is fantastic and quite frankly cannot understand for the life of me why everyone and their mother is so negative about it.

(On that note, do you go to parks? Use public sidewalks where people walk their dogs? Same thing.)

2) Allergic? Specifically request your room be deep cleaned if you choose to stay at a dog friendly resort. Disney takes their mousekeeping extremely seriously as is before the change and it will be no different now.

3) The argument that pets are messy? See point two. Disney is not going to allow for dog messes and issues with cleanliness in the resorts or on the grounds.

4) The argument that pets are loud? I have never once encountered a dog in a resort that was louder than two thirds of the children who are staying there. Toddlers and young children, in many cases, are worse behaved than dogs and have tendencies to run, throw toys, have tantrums, scream, cry, etcetera - I'd like to see a dog perform any of those.

Allowing pets in resorts is not a new concept, and Universal has practicing this for years with no issues and uproar like the one created from Disney-goers. Quite frankly, if the worst you have to worry about is Pongo and Perdy staying in the room next to you, you might want to reconsider your priorities. :rolleyes1

Great points...they all don't address the realities of the situation...but well stated.

My main point is this: hotels are built for humans who have some general way to control/console themselves...

...they are free to build a hotel specifically for pets...by all means. Or maybe give more than 48 hours notice...just a thought.

Funny just got off the phone with relative that had friends visit with 2 wonderful dogs after they left found dogs peed all over the house beds and furniture and when outside actually lifted leg and peed on her pants. Jumped on car scratched it barked often and we were just talking about Disney just her telling me story of awful visit and these people were in the house with the dogs. Oh Disney has a whole building, dog hotel on property. Disney is being greedy and to me people being selfish wanting to inflict they dogs on us.

Unfortunately now that the word is out and the points/arguments have been made, nobody (with these concerns anyway) can stay at any US hotel.

At least Disney still has 16 to 28 resorts (25,000 plus dog free rooms) without dogs at all to choose from instead.

Last edited:

Some of my party are afraid of dogs. This means that since we got married at what is now a dog friendly resort, we cannot visit there. Also, what happens if you booked your holiday a year ago and now cannot change, so have no choice?

See above. I cannot care for my family if I need nebulising, so, cannot visit such resorts, so can never again go back to the place I got married. Also, again, what for people coping on the 2 days notice?

Toddlers can indeed be as messy as pets, but toddlers are not left in rooms for 7 hours to do whatever damage and such that they like. Disney has less ability to deal with the general mess than they used to. Adding more is not going to help them in this regard.

Again, children are not left for such amount of time. Disney is not a dog friendly place to be. (In that, the dog can't go to most of the property, you cannot fully experience Disney WITH your dog, ao your dog is alone a lot, and in unfamiliar surroundings, and may be noisier than they are at home.)

Universal HAVE had problems with this. And their rules are stricter than Disney's by all accounts. If the worst you have to worry about is that life threatening allergy, maybe that's worth worrying about?

Dogs in unfamiliar, over stimulating surroundings and over excited children in the same circumstances are not a good mix (you now, such as at check in or in the lobby or around the resort generally.

Great that you are happy about this. I hope you have a wonderful vacation with your pets. But, that doesn't actually take away anyone else's valid concerns.

Yep anyone scared of dogs or allergic cannot stay at any US hotels-that's a shame.

US has to be more strict, there are no other resorts there with "no dogs" to choose from instead, like WDW offers.

The Universal hotels allow dogs in only certain wings or towers and their dog relief areas are next to those locations. There is no hint of dogs in most of the resort simply because Universal makes sure that the rules are followed. Plus dogs cannot be left in the rooms for several hours.

It's quite a bit different.

16 to 28 resorts at WDW have "no dogs", that's quite a difference.

To think US won't sell rooms that had dogs when that's all that's left, but Disney will.... yea ok.

And also frightened folks will still see the dogs.

16 to 28 resorts at WDW have "no dogs", that's quite a difference.

To think US won't sell rooms that had dogs when that's all that's left, but Disney will.... yea ok.

And also frightened folks will still see the dogs.

Your argument only holds up, as much as it does, as long as this is a limited run trial. IF it moves beyond trial, it may well expand to all resorts.

Disney will sell rooms that have had dogs in them to people without dogs, I will put money on this. They will not reserve these blocks of rooms and leave them empty if no one with a dog is looking to stay there. I am sure we will have reports of this relatively soon.

Of course your argument doesn't hold up in the first place because, as we know, people have had these trips booked for months if not a year or more, there simply is not the capacity for people to just switch resorts (though I have heard of one person being accommodated). There simply isn't enough room to move any significant number of people from the dog resorts to another. Of course these people have booked flights, and booked vacation and have made all sorts of arrangements that may not be able to be changed at this point.

And then there are the others, for us, its not about whether we could stay somewhere else, its that POR now has dogs. POR is where we stay when we pay cash to stay on Property. There is no option for a Dog Free POR, it doesn't exist. YOU might not think losing access to these dog free resorts isn't a big deal, or that its not a big deal to switch resorts or just stay somewhere else, plenty of people think it IS a big deal. Your argument does nothing to address that.

But, cool that you don't care, guess this isn't an issue for you.

Your argument only holds up, as much as it does, as long as this is a limited run trial. IF it moves beyond trial, it may well expand to all resorts.

Disney will sell rooms that have had dogs in them to people without dogs, I will put money on this. They will not reserve these blocks of rooms and leave them empty if no one with a dog is looking to stay there. I am sure we will have reports of this relatively soon.

Of course your argument doesn't hold up in the first place because, as we know, people have had these trips booked for months if not a year or more, there simply is not the capacity for people to just switch resorts (though I have heard of one person being accommodated). There simply isn't enough room to move any significant number of people from the dog resorts to another. Of course these people have booked flights, and booked vacation and have made all sorts of arrangements that may not be able to be changed at this point.

And then there are the others, for us, its not about whether we could stay somewhere else, its that POR now has dogs. POR is where we stay when we pay cash to stay on Property. There is no option for a Dog Free POR, it doesn't exist. YOU might not think losing access to these dog free resorts isn't a big deal, or that its not a big deal to switch resorts or just stay somewhere else, plenty of people think it IS a big deal. Your argument does nothing to address that.

But, cool that you don't care, guess this isn't an issue for you.

Some great points.

Mine were simply nobody can stay at any US resorts if they "truly " are concerned about the possibility of getting a room that had a dog in it. That can be allergy concerns fleas etc. Where at WDW you only have 3 resorts and a campground out of 30 to even have to worry.

Or if the have a fear of seeing a dog.

These were brought up as concerns.

Losing certain resorts somebody wants is indeed a bummer. Never said otherwise. Yet they all fit that category at US, a shame as I said earlier.

You can also be sure that many folks had to skip POR (and all WDW resorts) even though it was their favorite because they have a dog along. But maybe you don't care about them.

You can also be sure that many folks had to skip POR (and all WDW resorts) even though it was their favorite because they have a dog along. But maybe you don't care about them.

There are other options for people who had dogs they couldn't take to those resorts, still allowing them to enjoy them. There are not for people who have issues with dogs.

There are other options for people who had dogs they couldn't take to those resorts, still allowing them to enjoy them. There are not for people who have issues with dogs.

Agreed, bummer on 4 WDW resorts, and ALL US resorts.

Yep anyone scared of dogs or allergic cannot stay at any US hotels-that's a shame.

US has to be more strict, there are no other resorts there with "no dogs" to choose from instead, like WDW offers.

I have never stayed at, nor will I book at US. On the other hand, I can't go back and have got married at a resort that is not YC.

:rotfl2:Tell that to the Cheerios and dust bunnies [just barely] under my bed during my last stay.

...well since you queued it up...

There is no such thing as a request for a "deep clean"...

Disney housekeeping (like 99% of all housekeeping) is stripped down to the bones to save as much as possible...

"Deep clean"...the naivety runs deep on this one...
...thinking that disney somehow is gonna increase their overhead to whack people $50 a night for allowing a room at port to be a 220 sf pet carrier.

The point is whacking people $50 a night for it...the whole point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter