• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

5, 4, 3, 2, FUN! 02/28 - 03/04 Disneyland Trip Report *Completed 4/18*

I am sure it wasn't easy but that is great you were able to raise some money from selling the Spooky Town items to give to a charity. My dad collected Lionel trains and my mom's basement is full of them. I know at some point I will need to sell them but just, well, just don't want to yet :)

Looks like you got some great souvenirs:

I really like the Oswald Plush - just the way it is like knit material makes it seem more like a collectible and less like just another stuffed animal
B0E66D4C-E839-4415-823A-36FA3AE4F101_zpshxgopu1l.jpg

I also really love the Orange Bird mug!

We got most of the same Starbucks mugs as you and that taller 60th anniversary one I use all the time. It is my favorite souvenir we got. Why? because it holds my coffee!!!

Thanks for writing up your TR and best of luck with everything including the upcoming trip to WDW!

I love the souvenirs! We leave in a few weeks and your post made me make a list of stuff to make sure we pick up, lol.

So many awesome souvenirs! I love the white Disneyland sweatshirt, I never saw that and kinda wish I did! And the egg prizes from the egg hunt are so adorable! Those magnets are really awesome too.

I don't have any, but I love those Starbucks You Are Here Mugs! That's awesome that they sent you a new one to replace the broken one!

I was so in love with that white sweater! I don't think I saw it anywhere else other than on the pier and I actually came across it while digging through stuff - it wasn't even displayed anywhere! I'm sure they would sell out quick if they were showcasing them.

Loved it all! Ups, downs and in-betweens! The ends are never fun - always thought the on site hotels ought to have a separate "way out" for us sad folks departing so we didn't have to drag our feet (and our suitcases) past all those happy folks just getting in (at least at WDW). But these trip reports sure keep the memories going - and we get to ride along! :car: BTW, you are the SOUVENIR queen! THANK YOU!:thanks: (and congratulations on your upcoming mini-trip!)

Thank you!! I'm so glad that you enjoyed my report. It was great getting to relive everything with you all!

I am sure it wasn't easy but that is great you were able to raise some money from selling the Spooky Town items to give to a charity. My dad collected Lionel trains and my mom's basement is full of them. I know at some point I will need to sell them but just, well, just don't want to yet :)

Looks like you got some great souvenirs:

I really like the Oswald Plush - just the way it is like knit material makes it seem more like a collectible and less like just another stuffed animal

I also really love the Orange Bird mug!

We got most of the same Starbucks mugs as you and that taller 60th anniversary one I use all the time. It is my favorite souvenir we got. Why? because it holds my coffee!!!

Thanks for writing up your TR and best of luck with everything including the upcoming trip to WDW!

It was really difficult getting rid of his Halloween town items. I kept some of my favorite pieces though to put up when it's time and I'm so glad I was able to sell some and donate the rest to a great cause here. :)

Thank you so much for following my report and for some of your prior suggestions!!

I love all your souvenirs. Well done on choosing. Those mugs are awesome! I can't wait for your reflections posting.

Thanks! Mugs are such a great thing to buy since you can use them so often and it really brightens up a dull morning!

I love the souvenirs! We leave in a few weeks and your post made me make a list of stuff to make sure we pick up, lol.

I'm so glad I could help! I feel like souvenir pictures can be really lacking in some reports but it's so important!! lol

Final Reflections

I apologize for taking a while to get to this post. I suppose I don't want my trip report to be over. It was so great getting to share my vacation with all of you wonderful people and for all of your support through one of my roughest times. I truly appreciate all of you who reached out to me and added to my report. I don't think I can express how much it means to me, but I'm trying.

I'm approaching the six month mark after losing my dad and this vacation gave me a chance to feel so connected with him again. All of the pixie dust or surprise stops in rides really felt as if my dad was helping me have the best trip ever. Not sure if anyone believes in that or anything, but I feel like I need to.

I think I'll go through listing some of my favorite things from this trip.

My favorite ride in Disneyland was Astro Blasters, followed closely by Hyperspace Mountain. I think that was made obvious by how many times we needed to ride both!

My favorite land in Disneyland... Main Street USA. Nothing compares.

My favorite ride in Disney California Adventure was of course Tower of Terror... but I also really enjoyed Little Mermaid and how quick and easy it was to ride Toy Story Mania.

My favorite land in California Adventure is Paradise Pier.

My favorite meet and greet... that one is tough... I really enjoyed all of my character interactions. It was great to finally meet Oswald and Olaf! Those guys aren't anywhere to be found in Disney World so I'm really glad I got to meet them here. Oh! And Doctor Facilier!! Just kidding, he was my favorite. For sure. He was wonderful.

My favorite night time show was World of Color over the fireworks in Disneyland. While, all the night time activity was really so fabulous. Disney World really needs to pick up the slack in this category. Paint the Night was FABULOUS and all the parade music was really catchy - Soundsational and Pixar included. I wish I had taken the time to see Soundsational.

I would 100% do the special package for World of Color but I would absolutely not recommend the package at Blue Bayou for the Paint the Night parade.

My favorite sit down meal is probably a tie between Wine Country and Carnation Cafe. Based on food alone, Wine Country wins this one but based on the location of Carnation Cafe.... gah, I just love Main Street and the music and everything. Of course - I loved Steakhouse 55 for breakfast a ton. Obsessed.

My favorite "snacky" item we had was the veggie skewer and the tasty lemonades that we had around Disneyland.

My favorite alcoholic drink was the Pineapple Mad-garita from the Mad T Party - which was such a great way to kick off our trip!

I think as far as food goes, I wouldn't necessarily ever go back to Blue Bayou. I'd probably try Cafe Orleans again. I just felt too crowded and rushed and there are so many other places I haven't tried yet.

Overall though, the food was better than what I usually find in Disney World. Especially when it comes to vegetarian and fresh options. That was a huge hit for us. I was worried about what I was going to be eating on this trip, but I didn't have enough stomach room for everything I wanted to try!

I loved our hotel - so much. I don't know if I'll ever be able to stay anywhere else when visiting Disneyland. The location was perfect. The themeing was amazing. Steakhouse 55, Trader Sam's, the cast members, the room... it was all fantastic. Totally worth every penny to me and my husband.

My favorite souvenir... that's a tough one but I'm going to go with the pictures we got at the train station. Those mean so much to me. :)

Things I wouldn't do again: Blue Bayou PTN Dining Package, Mickey's Fun Wheel, La Brea Bakery, E-Ticket Club firework viewing

So my status on loving Disneyland more than Disney World is still very much true. Even more so now after going again for this week. I love Disney World, for sure... but Disneyland is truly magical and historical. It was the perfect escape for the few months I've been having. I'm so glad that I got a chance to do this and I wish it was closer than a plane ride away. One day, I hope to drive from WI so that I can check out some things on the way there... but I'll need a good two weeks off of work to do that.

Some fun life update news (also sad) - My husband and I are, unfortunately, putting off a kid for a while. I am back in therapy to deal with my guilt, anger, depression and anxiety. I want to be mentally fit and prepared with the tools needed to get through a pregnancy and having a baby. It devastates me to think that my dad won't be around for that time of my life. But this is good. It's the right thing to do and I'm only 28 so I've got some time.

But on the bright side, and as Disney fans I'm sure this will be exciting news, my husband and I are going to be annual passholders to Disney World! We are going at the end of next month over Memorial Day weekend, but we are also planning a week long trip over the last week of October. That's the week that I lost my dad - I don't know what I can do from here for him, but since he loved Halloween so much we are going to celebrate it in his honor this year. Last year we couldn't even take the time to celebrate it since we were all too crushed. So this year, we're doing it in a big way! We will also be fitting in one other trip at the beginning of 2017. It's going to be a good year. It's going to my year! It's going to be one of the best years of my life because my dad would want me to LIVE it up! I'm trying guys.

Thank you so much for following along. Honesty. So much.

Faith, trust, and pixie dust to everyone! :tinker:

Thank you for sharing your trip! I really enjoyed reading your report and I know how much this trip meant to you.

I enjoyed reading about all your favorites of the trip!

I'm sorry to hear you will be putting off children for now, but it seems like the right thing to do and you for sure have time!

Yay for getting APs! Glad to hear you have a trip planned in October- one of my favorite times to go to WDW! This IS your year, and I know things are going to get better for you :hug:

I hope you plan on doing a TR for your May trip!!

Thank you for sharing your trip! I really enjoyed reading your report and I know how much this trip meant to you.

I enjoyed reading about all your favorites of the trip!

I'm sorry to hear you will be putting off children for now, but it seems like the right thing to do and you for sure have time!

Yay for getting APs! Glad to hear you have a trip planned in October- one of my favorite times to go to WDW! This IS your year, and I know things are going to get better for you :hug:

I hope you plan on doing a TR for your May trip!!

Thank you so much for your kind words. My anxiety over choosing to not have a kid is almost as bad as it is to have one! :scared: :laughing: I'm so glad I'm taking the time to sort it all out though. I want to be as healthy as I can be when it's time.

I will absolutely be doing a TR for May! And for the one we are planning at the end of October!! Now I just need to figure out when our third trip will be... I want to get the most out of our APs. Toying with the idea of going over NYE but a bit nervous about that one. I'd like to see EPCOT though partying through the night! Decisions... And if we squeeze in one more long weekend this year, I should still be able to get a full week in before our passes expire next May! This year is going to be fabulous! BECAUSE I SAID SO! :goodvibes :thumbsup2

Loved your wrap up and glad that you had so many positive experiences. I think that photo shoot at the train station is one of my favorite parts of this trip report so I am not surprised it stood out to you as well

Maybe it is good we didn't stay at the Disneyland Hotel our first trip - even just visiting and then what you are saying, I can't imagine staying there and then not staying there on subsequent trips

I think it is good you came to a decision about kids - as someone with three I can say (at least to me) you are never 100% ready for kids, but at the same time you can't put them back in so ideally you are in a good place to handle what can come. You really don't want to be stressing that you made the wrong decision, etc. (though, like I said, there is never the perfect time so at some point, if you do want kids, you have to pull the trigger - but you definitely have time)

That is great you got APs and have the trips coming up - hope all the planning is fun and come together!

Thanks again for doing this Trip Report!

I loved your trip report! Really makes me excited to go later this year and slow down and take in all the atmosphere.
Woohoo for APs!! That is so awesome! Have a great couple of trips!!

I love a good final though section.... and that was a great one. It is sad that trips come to an end. But it leaves time to evaluate, learn, and get ready for the next trip. I am envious that you got to go during the 60th celebration. I really liked your favorites and least favorites. It will be really helpful when planning my next trip. Now I'll have to go find another TR to read and that is to labor intensive LOL. You should just plan another trip. That way I can follow along on that one. I hope you are doing well and all your dreams really do come true. Lets keep in touch. Until next time... see ya real soon.

Thank you so much for sharing your trip! I have really enjoyed reading it. I've learned so many things to help plan our first trip to Disneyland. My sincerest condolences to you for the loss of your father. I think you are wise beyond your years for taking care of yourself before starting your family especially since you are so young and have plenty of time for that. I pray for the very best for you and your husband. I adore your ability to look for the silver lining in all that you face. That's a priceless quality to possess.

Loved your wrap up and glad that you had so many positive experiences. I think that photo shoot at the train station is one of my favorite parts of this trip report so I am not surprised it stood out to you as well

Maybe it is good we didn't stay at the Disneyland Hotel our first trip - even just visiting and then what you are saying, I can't imagine staying there and then not staying there on subsequent trips

I think it is good you came to a decision about kids - as someone with three I can say (at least to me) you are never 100% ready for kids, but at the same time you can't put them back in so ideally you are in a good place to handle what can come. You really don't want to be stressing that you made the wrong decision, etc. (though, like I said, there is never the perfect time so at some point, if you do want kids, you have to pull the trigger - but you definitely have time)

That is great you got APs and have the trips coming up - hope all the planning is fun and come together!

Thanks again for doing this Trip Report!

I really do love the Disneyland Hotel so much! One of my Facebook friends just checked in there and I am so incredibly envious! It was so convenient and everything was wonderful. I've heard people say that Disneyland just isn't as magical as WDW because of the ambiance and I did kind of agree with that when I stayed off site in 2008... but staying on site definitely changed my opinion on that! Especially at such a Disney-centric hotel!

And oh don't I know it about the "never 100% ready" for kids thing. But - it can't hurt to try to be slightly more prepared and healthy. Plus, I'm young. It all works out. I'm so glad I'm taking the time for me. :) And I'm so glad that so many people get that. I've had a lot of pressure put on me about having them and with my dad leaving... it really changed our plans.

And I am so excited about becoming an AP for WDW!! This is crazy. I never thought I'd have the opportunity to do it! This is the perfect time.

Thank you again for following along!! :D

I loved your trip report! Really makes me excited to go later this year and slow down and take in all the atmosphere.
Woohoo for APs!! That is so awesome! Have a great couple of trips!!

Thank you so much for following along and I am SO happy that I could help you in your planning process!! :D

I love a good final though section.... and that was a great one. It is sad that trips come to an end. But it leaves time to evaluate, learn, and get ready for the next trip. I am envious that you got to go during the 60th celebration. I really liked your favorites and least favorites. It will be really helpful when planning my next trip. Now I'll have to go find another TR to read and that is to labor intensive LOL. You should just plan another trip. That way I can follow along on that one. I hope you are doing well and all your dreams really do come true. Lets keep in touch. Until next time... see ya real soon.

I'm so very glad you found my report and provided insight and comments to it. It's great to know that others travel the parks with the same sort of low key attitude that we have.

I must say that getting to be there for the 60th really meant the world to me! If they are doing anything for the 65th or 70th, I'm absolutely going to try to make it out there again for that!

I'm hoping to do trip reports for both my May and October WDW trips! So feel free to jump in on those. I'm sure I'll be starting up the May one almost immediately upon coming back. I already miss posting updates!

Definitely keep in touch! Feel free to PM me and maybe we can link up on Facebook to enjoy even more Disney filled things!

Thank you so much for sharing your trip! I have really enjoyed reading it. I've learned so many things to help plan our first trip to Disneyland. My sincerest condolences to you for the loss of your father. I think you are wise beyond your years for taking care of yourself before starting your family especially since you are so young and have plenty of time for that. I pray for the very best for you and your husband. I adore your ability to look for the silver lining in all that you face. That's a priceless quality to possess.

Thank you for following along!! It means the world to me that I've been able to connect with you and so many other wonderful Disney people! It's helped me. Thank you for your sympathies.

I'm so glad I was able to help you plan for your trip too! I hope you have a blast!

And thank you for your kind words. :) I learned pretty quickly in life to try to not dwell on the negatives. Things like one rude CM or an upset guest or a long line - I just can't let those things get me down. I don't have the time for it! :) There are so many wonderful things in this world to appreciate and enjoy. Thanks again!

I loved reading through your trip--lots of insight and it's always fun to feel like I "get to know" someone new.

I'm so sorry about your dad. That has to be so rough, even 6 months later. I'll keep you in my thoughts!

I loved reading through your trip--lots of insight and it's always fun to feel like I "get to know" someone new.

I'm so sorry about your dad. That has to be so rough, even 6 months later. I'll keep you in my thoughts!

Thank you for reading my report! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. And thank you for the sympathies. Today is the exact six month mark where my brother called me. I had a really rough night last night over it, but I'm trying to think optimistically here at work in the sense that I've made it six months. Thanks again.

Hi there - I just read through your Trip Report to prep for our trip next month, and I really appreciated both your enthusiasm about the parks and your honesty about what you're going through. Grieving is never, ever easy and it's particularly hard in this kind of situation. I applaud you for getting therapy, and I hope you guys are back on track for family building soon.

Thanks for all the tips, and I'm looking forward to seeing your PTRs for your next trips!!

Hi there - I just read through your Trip Report to prep for our trip next month, and I really appreciated both your enthusiasm about the parks and your honesty about what you're going through. Grieving is never, ever easy and it's particularly hard in this kind of situation. I applaud you for getting therapy, and I hope you guys are back on track for family building soon.

Thanks for all the tips, and I'm looking forward to seeing your PTRs for your next trips!!

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I hope it helped you plan some things. :) I really loved my time there and I wish I was going back sooner! I probably won't make it back out there for a few years.

Thank you for your sympathies.

I will be posting a link when I start up my next report for May! Not sure if there's going to be a PTR, but definitely a TR. I'm very excited to have this mini-vacay!

Hi, I really enjoyed your trip report! I am sorry about the loss of your dad. I am very happy you and your DH seem to have such a great relationship. I look forward to reading your upcoming WDW trip report.

Hi, I really enjoyed your trip report! I am sorry about the loss of your dad. I am very happy you and your DH seem to have such a great relationship. I look forward to reading your upcoming WDW trip report.

Thank you for reading! And thank you for your sympathies. I'm very lucky to have such a good husband. I wouldn't be able to do it without him. :)

Very much enjoyed your trip report! I'm very jealous of you staying onsite (we're totally going to do that, but not with our kids, as we are WAY too expensive, needing like 2 rooms these days) and of your upcoming annual pass to WDW! I hope your Halloween trip is wonderful, and somewhat healing. I understand you wanting to be in a better place mentally and emotionally before getting pregnant. I don't normally struggle much, but when I'm pregnant are my roughest periods. Thankfully, everyone is different, and hopefully you'll sail through it when you're ready!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter